Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Leaving in two hours i brought a rucksack with food,clothing and toiletries to be giving to the first homeless person i see,If any of you get a chance bring something with you for the homeless also.

fryup wrote: »
    who's bringing the rocks to throw at the flith??

hope you're taking the piss?? Its early and my sense of humour hasn't woken up yet.
    see u all later for a peaceul process ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Can't believe this is still going ahead. A protest against a charge for something that's essential for survival (never mind cleanliness) that costs the same as a TV license.

"Perspective" seems to be a word missing in the dictionary of the protestors.

Plates wrote: »
    Can't believe this is still going ahead. A protest against a charge for something that's essential for survival (never mind cleanliness) that costs the same as a TV license.

costs the same as a TV licence - NOW - what about 3 years time?
    and what about if you just cannot afford it or any more taxes - at all? Do you earn 208euro a week???? (I have a degree and worked in banking ....I now work on a CE Scheme due to job losses).

you cannot imagine what it is like for tens of thousands of people unless you actually live in their shoes..... I used to earn a good salary and was blind to so much... I couldnt understand people complaining about the cost of living. Now I do and I am one of them and people have had enough. Today is not just about €160 water charge - wake up! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

The current price for water charges is only an introduction offer to try fool people into registering with Irish water; hence your attitude its costs the same as a TV licence; very false sense of security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I think you and other Pro Charge people are missing the perspective tbh.

costs the same as a TV licence - NOW - what about 3 years time?
    and what about if you just cannot afford it or any more taxes - at all? Do you earn 208euro a week???? (I have a degree and worked in banking ....I now work on a CE Scheme due to job losses).

you cannot imagine what it is like for tens of thousands of people unless you actually live in their shoes..... I used to earn a good salary and was blind to so much... I couldnt understand people complaining about the cost of living. Now I do and I am one of them and people have had enough. Today is not just about €160 water charge - wake up! :cool:

So, are you now in the "we're just generally unhappy with things but don't have any better solutions" camp? Who is your saviour? Who will make the necessary changes? Yes the current Government has messed up a lot of things, yes there are a lot of people a lot worse off than they used to be (me included) but that's what happens in a recession. Our parents went through one, as did their parents before them. Did they wait for hand outs and for someone else to fix the problem? No, they took a deep breath, puffed out their chests, had some pride in themselves and worked their asses off to improve their lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

S.O wrote: »
    The current price for water charges is only an introduction offer to try fool people into registering with Irish water; hence your attitude its costs the same as a TV licence; very false sense of security.

It costs much less than the TV licence if you register for the conservation grant.

These water charges are far too low.

S.O wrote: »

Ah, the old conspiracy theory argument. That's what I've been missing. This is all just a ploy to keep de peeples down. Next thing you know they'll be putting a mind altering, cancer causing drug like fluoride in the......uh oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Really looking forward to this now. Dropping the kids to school and then off to meet a couple of my workmates later who have also taken the day off to protest this double taxation charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Go and talk to the people who are over from Detroit, they can tell you where this is heading.

Anyway, I'm sick of all the arguments, time to take to the streets for my children's future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I bet your the type to snap up the first of those "build a learjet" magazines, "first edition(1/45) only. 99c and resentfully pay the €9.99 per issue for the remaining 44 issues.

Go and talk to the people who are over from Detroit, they can tell you where this is heading.

Anyway, I'm sick of all the arguments, time to take to the streets for my children's future.

Such a shame that you can't see that you're being led by the nose by the unions (who own the right2water campaign), a variety of extremists (SF) and a gaggle of independents who have only embraced this issue to get votes.

Such a shame that you can't see that you're being led by the nose by the unions (who own the right2water campaign), a variety of extremists (SF) and a gaggle of independents who have only embraced this issue to get votes.

You might think that, but the reality is that you haven't got a clue.

Take "mind reader " off your CV, your not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

as the guy said.... Perspective.

Ireland cannot be compared to the trade union destroyed Detroit.

Be sure to ask one of the alphabet soup of far-left peeps there why they prefer to lump ever greater debt on our children instead of dealing with it in the present....... Don't expect much of an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You must be joking! Ask that HSE guy on PrimeTime last night why the 9 staff featured abusing those poor women are SUSPENDED rather than fired - and on full pay at that!
    Be sure to ask one of the alphabet soup of far-left peeps there why they prefer to lump ever greater debt on our children instead of dealing wit it in the present....... Don't expect much of an answer.

You're on form this morning alright.. how does FG's "extend and pretend" policy of dealing with "our" debt fit in with the above?

All the current governmernt have done is ensure my son (and probably his children) will still be paying the bills of FG/FF's mates here and in Europe.

Be sure to ask one of the alphabet soup of far-left peeps there why they prefer to lump ever greater debt on our children instead of dealing wit it in the present.......
    You could also ask Enda Kenny (promissory note "deal")
    BoJack wrote:
    Don't expect much of an answer.

Exactly, or a debate either.

Be sure to ask one of the alphabet soup of far-left peeps there why they prefer to lump ever greater debt on our children instead of dealing wit it in the present....... Don't expect much of an answer.

Why don't you ask one of the FG why they are lobbying for TTIP?

Why don't you ask one of the FG why they are lobbying for TTIP?

Probably won't be able to, none in my office AFAIK.

And you?

You say your marching for your children.
    Why side with parties openly committed to greater & greater debt penury for the next generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

as the guy said.... Perspective...

Be sure to ask one of the alphabet soup of far-left peeps there why they prefer to lump ever greater debt on our children instead of dealing with it in the present....... Don't expect much of an answer.

Perspective you say.

IW has spent one billion so far this year,on what exactly?

Lol

Bye now.

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »
    Perspective you say.

IW has spent one billion so far this year

Show your sums please.

(I trust none of this is actually monies spent on water/sewage provision..... This €1,000,000,000 must be extra spending?)

Garda (not GoSafe) speed traps all over the N7, from Rathcoole. Not taking a swipe at protesters at all huh?

I have driven that road every day for years and only ever seen a handful in all that time.

This morning there were several!

Thankfully the weather reports seem to have gotten it slightly wrong this morning, I'm just setting off here for town, and it's a beautiful morning.

That's more than likely going to help attendance figures with some of the "on the fence" type (of actually heading in)

In fairness though, I reckoned there would (might be) some kind of irony (from international media perspective) if it was pissing down on us today.

Regardless, I'm well wrapped up, fun day ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

The IW cheerleaders are out in force this morning! Really looking forward to today, hopefully the weather will hold up :D

The IW cheerleaders are out in force this morning! Really looking forward to today, hopefully the weather will hold up :D

In the same way as the protest today is no longer about IW, the views of posters here who disagree with the position of the protestors are also no longer just about IW.

Probably won't be able to, none in my office AFAIK.

And you?

You say your marching for your children.
    Why side with parties openly committed to greater & greater debt penury for the next generation?

I have asked any FG I know, none of them seem to know anything about it.

Being in agreement with any party over one issue hardy means I agree with them on everything.

Being in agreement with any party over one issue hardy means I agree with them on everything.

So, why are you marching for your children then?

The parties fronting today's rally promise a return to pre-fall-of-communism centrally planned economy...... (aside from SF, who just love a bandwagon).

I'm curious as to why your marching for that future for your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

gladrags wrote: »
    If they are doing nothing wrong...

Why are the being being secretly filmed.?

It's quite obvious why he is secretly filming.

People may act differently when they know they are being filmed by RTE. (Not just the protestors, the IW workers also)

There have been accusations on both sides of intimidating behaviour. RTE obviously felt the best way to get an accurate reflection of what it is really like was to film 'covertly'.

He states in the video that he had just been around the corner filming the workers covertly with no protestors around.

I really don't see why the protestors are so upset about this. They have consistently claimed their protests at the meter install sites are peaceful. Surely this will be shown if/when the video footage is aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I'm no IW cheerleader. I just agree with charging users for water. And ata higher level than those proposed right now

And this protest is clearly "anti water charges". Despite what people mohgt say, that is the overriding message. People that just don't want to pay for it.

So I want nothing to do with it. I guarantee that the most prominent posters and placards will be "water is a human right" or that kind of b****x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Originally Posted by

I'm no IW cheerleader. I just agree with charging users for water. And ata higher level than those proposed right now

And this protest is clearly "anti water charges". Despite what people mohgt say, that is the overriding message. People that just don't want to pay for it.

So I want nothing to do with it. I guarantee that the most prominent posters and placards will be "water is a human right" or that kind of b****x

Agree wholeheartedly. Would love to see some alternatives proposed for the nirvana all these protestors want of free services, a perfect health system, no poverty, no homelessness etc. etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement