Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

So, why are you marching for your children then?

The parties fronting today's rally promise a return to pre-fall-of-communism centrally planned economy...... (aside from SF).

I'm curious as to why your marching for that future for your kids?

I'm not marching under the banner of any party today, as I sure the majority of people won't be. I'm going up for myself and my family so we won't have to be crippled by another bill which we can't afford. Comrade.

I'm no IW cheerleader. I just agree with charging users for water. And ata higher level than those proposed right now

Then have all monies raised, from the charges, be ringfenced for the upgrade/repair of the network and not used to pay for a massive quango salary scale or dividend to the government.
    The fact that the government is looking at this as a revenue generator proves that the idea of water preservation is far down the list of priorities.

The moment that people start using less water through correct use, rain reclamation, water saving systems etc the rates will rise as the revenue stream will need to be maintained.

Having the state dependant on a quango for revenue is not a sound plan and has show to foster resistance.

Had there been a centralised water board that had a remit for making water available at a cost neutral structure (where rates raise and fall based on the cost of delivering the water alone, with no external demands on revenue and no profit/loss allowed) there would not be half the resistance as there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Agree wholeheartedly. Would love to see some alternatives proposed for the nirvana all these protestors want of free services, a perfect health system, no poverty, no homelessness etc. etc.

They do.

As per the SWP pre-budget statement.
    - Default on national debt repayments
    - 'the rich' pay for everything else.

Sensible & consequence free.

I hope they have a terrific rally its really their moment in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Plates wrote: »
    Such a shame that you can't see that you're being led by the nose by the unions (who own the right2water campaign), a variety of extremists (SF) and a gaggle of independents who have only embraced this issue to get votes.

If the people were that easily led FG and the Communications Clinic would be in clover.
    The truth is those organisations are riding on the coattails of the people, and will get the same short shrift as the government if they dont tow the line.

You lads have been living for too long thinking you are there to serve politics.

I'm not marching under the banner of any party today, as I sure the majority of people won't be. I'm going up for myself and my family so we won't have to be crippled by another bill which we can't afford. Comrade.

So don't pay it then.

The government & IW have said there will be no negative consequences if you don't.

And judging by folk here, very few houses are paying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Originally Posted by

another bill which we can't afford. Comrade.

Or another bill that you just don't want to pay by having to miss out on something you feel entitled to? Holiday, car, Sky subscription, smart phone, few pints, the odd takeaway etc. etc.

So don't pay it then.

The government & IW have said there will be no negative consequences if you don't.

And judging by folk here, very few houses are paying anyway.

I have no intention of paying it. I just thought I'd go up and tell the lads inside the Dail I won't be paying as well ;)

Or another bill that you just don't want to pay by having to miss out on something you feel entitled to? Holiday, car, Sky subscription, smart phone, few pints, the odd takeaway etc. etc.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

modsnip

Please don't accuse another poster of being a re-reg on thread. That's what the report function is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I'm no IW cheerleader. I just agree with charging users for water. And ata higher level than those proposed right now

And this protest is clearly "anti water charges". Despite what people mohgt say, that is the overriding message. People that just don't want to pay for it.

So I want nothing to do with it. I guarantee that the most prominent posters and placards will be "water is a human right" or that kind of b****x

You want people to be charged higher for water? Are you completely off your rocker? We already pay ridiculously high prices for our utilities. You trust that the Public Service here can deliver a good service for a reasonable fee efficiently? No evidence of this to date. Waste, corruption, ineptitude, self serving, lazy and incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Or pet dog, home, food etc

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

How dare people try and hold onto some semblance of a normal life.
    After all we live to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

How dare people try and hold onto some semblance of a normal life.
    After all we live to work.

Ye do if ye had to stay. I wish I could be in Ireland today to lend support but I along with 18 others of my class of 22 (19 total) had to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

So, why are you marching for your children then?

The parties fronting today's rally promise a return to pre-fall-of-communism centrally planned economy...... (aside from SF, who just love a bandwagon).

I'm curious as to why your marching for that future for your kids?

You're not curious, you just want a pointless Internet debate that goes around in circles.
    I want a future where people are more important than corporations.
    Have a read of this, puts it well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/water-charges-protest-dublin-ireland-1824229-Dec2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Walked up by Merrion Square about an hour ago on the way to work. Good few Gardai there already and Leinster House is fairly ringfenced. Could feel a sense of something big in the air. Roll on 1pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Agree wholeheartedly. Would love to see some alternatives proposed for the nirvana all these protestors want of free services, a perfect health system, no poverty, no homelessness etc. etc.

So you have no problem with torture in the HSE,and death's on the street,or shambolic companies like IW wasting taxpayers money.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

reports of over 1,000 travelling by organised buses from Co. Cork, and 12 buses from Galway, and over 200 people from Limerick.

the Gardai who have anticipated attendance of 25,000-30,000 are in for a big surprise.

Plates wrote: »
    So, are you now in the "we're just generally unhappy with things but don't have any better solutions" camp? Who is your saviour? Who will make the necessary changes? Yes the current Government has messed up a lot of things, yes there are a lot of people a lot worse off than they used to be (me included) but that's what happens in a recession. Our parents went through one, as did their parents before them. Did they wait for hand outs and for someone else to fix the problem? No, they took a deep breath, puffed out their chests, had some pride in themselves and worked their asses off to improve their lot.

I AM working my ass off! For 208euro a week and I cant pay for anything else. In our parents time the cost of living was so much less. Compare like with like or else live my life yourself and see how you would cope!!

Phoebas wrote: »
    It costs much less than the TV licence if you register for the conservation grant.

These water charges are far too low.

which will be pulled and can be pulled at any stage :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

http://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/

Former minister who helped set up Irish Water says there are ‘agendas’ at play for water privatisation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will the rent a riot mob be out and about??

ha ha you're funny :):):)

its called having a life :P or are people supposed to work simply to pay bills?
    (and by the way I havent had a holiday in 4 years).. I'm a vegeratian so no takeaways... and I have Saorview - is that ok?

you love your generalisations I'll give you that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

fryup wrote: »

No

Can't say till it starts, but I'd imagine, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

who's bringing the rocks to throw at the flith??

Keep searching for that response you so desperately want.

You'll recognise them when you see them, they are highly dangerous and will be armed with these .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

You're not curious, you just want a pointless Internet debate that goes around in circles.
    I want a future where people are more important than corporations.
    Have a read of this, puts it well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/water-charges-protest-dublin-ireland-1824229-Dec2014/

Excellent article. Every bit of it rings through. The seeds of change need to be sown now and we will be far better for it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Didn't say many people round in town yet, that was early though. I'l be going back through around 12, interested to see what the turn out is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Satriale wrote: »
    You'll recognise them when you see them, they are highly dangerous and will be armed with these .

what are those??

• Advertisement

what are those??

Tyre valve removers, lethal in the wrong hands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement