Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Really hard to get any truth anywhere. There are clearly a lot of people but nowhere near 100,000. The pro side there say there's nobody and anti side say there's many. You're all complicit in the spin, although as I said I would rather align myself with those who have the ability to articulate themselves without being abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No..... Army MOWAGs mowing down people.

More efficient.

Indeed, but as there is no money for diesel or spare parts for them they'll have to use the Garda stash of unclaimed stolen pushbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Even if it is 100,000 its 1/50th of the population.

Hardly enough to warrant it a huge success and a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Really hard to get any truth anywhere. There are clearly a lot of people but nowhere near 100,000. The pro side there say there's nobody and anti side say there's many. You're all complicit in the spin, although as I said I would rather align myself with those who have the ability to articulate themselves without being abusive.

On the radio just there. About 25k attending. This is obviously lies though. Government propaganda looking to silence these proud dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Lots of people in this thread desperately want this protest to be small for some reason.

The fact is that it will cause disruption to businesses and workers in Dublin all day and many people are getting rather tired of protests. We know what they think, nobody wants to pay for water but the fact is we have to. Why not protest about the cost to the community in policing such events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

yipeeeee wrote: »

You hardly expect every kid and elderly person out now do ya? 100,000 is far from 1/50th of the population when you consider those than can realistically attend a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok so, we need 2.3 million +1, get the word out people.....

A nonsense comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

find it very ironic that these protestors can afford to take days off work and pay for trains/petrol to get to Dublin, yet cant afford to pay for water and apparently are struggling by.

The logic to your point is flawed.

People are taking 1 day off work to safeguard their future. No one knows if Irish Water will be sold off. No one knows if the fees will skyrocket forever more. So we need to act now.

There's all this talk about the government promising this and that relating to IW. How the HELL can anyone believe them?

Leo Varadkar said 'not another red cent will be given to Anglo' just before he got elected. Did he keep his promise? No.

Enda Kenny said it was morally unfair and unjust to tax a person's home. Did he big fat introduce property tax anyway? Yes he did.

And when quizzed about all the broken promises in Government, Pat Rabbitte said 'Well, sure isn't that what you say at the time of an election'??

So, there you have it. We cannot trust the people in power. They will say ANYTHING to get you to do what they want. Do you think this is democracy? I certainly don't.

So, today is about a lot more than water. It's about cronyism, austerity, allowing a huge divide in wealth to happen in this country and lots, lots more.

People taking one measly day off work today in order to safeguard thousands of days in their futures is not in the slightest bit ironic to me.

Please don't question the people who are 'apparently' struggling to get by. It sounds crass and it sounds arrogant. It amazes me how people will turn on each other but will yet refuse to direct their anger at the people who are responsible for this mess in the first place - the government!!

Also - rumour has it that this will be a 24 hour protest so you won't actually have to take a day off work if you don't want to. I wonder what you will criticise them about then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

On the radio just there. About 25k attending. This is obviously lies though. Government propaganda looking to silence these proud dissidents.

Everything I disagree with is propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

any protests in this country should be seen in a positive light.
    irish people seem to be always willing to take the cr*p dealt out by the govt/banks, so it makes a change to see that people are willing to stand up and be counted.

whether it's 10 or 100,000, the govt should do the proper thing and listen to what people who put them into their well-paid jobs are saying, instead of being dismissive and arrogant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The stuff of Joseph Goebbels! :pac:

It's a week-day, so they are hardly going to hit 100,000. Still though, a sizeable number have turned out. But when you compare it to let's say a football match, it seems more people are interested in attending a sporting occasion than a protest about trying to survive; this, to me anyway, is more reflective of people's opinion than all the spin being put out by both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

You hardly expect every kid and elderly person out now do ya? 100,000 is far from 1/50th of the population when you consider those than can realistically attend a protest.

OK but I would hazard a guess it's nowhere near the majority out of people who are able to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Its hard to tell.

From just scouring Twitter I thought it might break the 100k mark, but not sure now.

I'd say 60-70k..... which is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

It looks fairly big from Holles St and is very noisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

any video cctv links for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Lots of people in this thread desperately want this protest to be small for some reason.

Because most of the protestors are in it for their own gain, are seasoned trouble makers or are simply not intelligent enough to understand the complexity of the issues at hand. I would rather that, frankly, stupid people didn't march to represent the society that I come from (waiting for the jokes about DOB, the government, FG, Labour etc etc doing that perfectly well). I am talking specifically to those who oppose everything in the name of their children's futures. If you don't change something, your children will be blaming you in the same way I blame my parents generation for ruining Ireland.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Funny enough, lots of people in this thread desperately want this protest to be big for some reason.

Glory hunters, simple as. Want to feel part of something. Disenfranchised, sure, because they spent the boom years thinking a four bed semi and a new car every second year on a plumbers wage was the measure of success. They've been brought down to earth with a bang and the emptiness they're feeling was always there, they were just distracted before by their "Keeping up with the Joneses".

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Kenny on the phone to alastair campbell as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Newstalk are reporting "10's and 10's of thousands". Im taking that to mean 200,000 minimum right from O'Briens mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

OK but I would hazard a guess it's nowhere near the majority out of people who are able to attend.

Obviously not. But i know a good few in my job that would have attended only for they had no days left. And a few gave them back as they needed them for another day. A lot of my family would have attended but couldn't due to work. As it is a work day, 100,000 would be a good turnout. It's also a school day so a lot of parents outside of Dublin would find it difficult to get up to Dublin and back down to collect the kids. Same goes for Dublin considering a lot of younger kids would be out around 2 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

On the march good turnout'; crowd just coming up by ( Celtic note Irish music store ) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

gladrags wrote: »
    In Merrion square very big crowd.

They blocked off the baggot st side,so people have to come in through fitzwilliam sq.

Thousands arriving from Pearse st end and fitz square.

A lot of banners from country.

Proud

Crowds still arriving.

Merrion square full.

The times they are a changing...rings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Ranchu wrote: »
    Newstalk are reporting "10's and 10's of thousands". Im taking that to mean 200,000 minimum right from O'Briens mouth.

Well rte put it at 20-25k. Don't think Denis o brien owns them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Another crowd of eejits just marched down O'Connell street. Just because you're up from the country and have made your pretty banners, doesn't mean the 10 of you should walk down the middle of the street in Dublin and cause disruption for an awful lot of people who are trying to get on with their lives and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

gladrags wrote: »
    Crowds still arriving.

Merrion square full.

The times they are a changing...rings out.

Calm down there, Bob Dylan. It is important to take an objective opinion of these things. There is nothing to suggest that this current protest is the same size as the previous one. This suggests a decline in support for the anti-IW group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Because most of the protestors are in it for their own gain, are seasoned trouble makers or are simply not intelligent enough to understand the complexity of the issues at hand. I would rather that, frankly, stupid people didn't march to represent the society that I come from (waiting for the jokes about DOB, the government, FG, Labour etc etc doing that perfectly well). I am talking specifically to those who oppose everything in the name of their children's futures. If you don't change something, your children will be blaming you in the same way I blame my parents generation for ruining Ireland.

Glory hunters, simple as. Want to feel part of something. Disenfranchised, sure, because they spent the boom years thinking a four bed semi and a new car every second year on a plumbers wage was the measure of success. They've been brought down to earth with a bang and the emptiness they're feeling was always there, they were just distracted before by their "Keeping up with the Joneses".

Yea, you align youself with the non abusive people there, you'll fit right in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

In other news the Minister for Thirst, Comical Kelly says

Most people now with Government on water charges

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kelly-most-people-now-with-government-on-water-charges-654090.html

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Rte One o'clock news reporting that they expect between 30-35,000 out today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Falthyron wrote: »
    Calm down there, Bob Dylan. It is important to take an objective opinion of these things. There is nothing to suggest that this current protest is the same size as the previous one. This suggests a decline in support for the anti-IW group.

or that it's not as easy for some people to make it to a protest on a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

digzy wrote: »
    Well rte put it at 20-25k. Don't think Denis o brien owns them!

no, that would be the existing Government...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

it looks like some of the protests started at different times,
    a crowd of about a 100 just passed over O'Connell Bridge 10 minutes ago.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement