Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

Wurly wrote: »
    The logic to your point is flawed.

People are taking 1 day off work to safeguard their future. No one knows if Irish Water will be sold off. No one knows if the fees will skyrocket forever more. So we need to act now.

There's all this talk about the government promising this and that relating to IW. How the HELL can anyone believe them?

Leo Varadkar said 'not another red cent will be given to Anglo' just before he got elected. Did he keep his promise? No.

Enda Kenny said it was morally unfair and unjust to tax a person's home. Did he big fat introduce property tax anyway? Yes he did.

And when quizzed about all the broken promises in Government, Pat Rabbitte said 'Well, sure isn't that what you say at the time of an election'??

So, there you have it. We cannot trust the people in power. They will say ANYTHING to get you to do what they want. Do you think this is democracy? I certainly don't.

So, today is about a lot more than water. It's about cronyism, austerity, allowing a huge divide in wealth to happen in this country and lots, lots more.

People taking one measly day off work today in order to safeguard thousands of days in their futures is not in the slightest bit ironic to me.

Please don't question the people who are 'apparently' struggling to get by. It sounds crass and it sounds arrogant. It amazes me how people will turn on each other but will yet refuse to direct their anger at the people who are responsible for this mess in the first place - the government!!

Also - rumour has it that this will be a 24 hour protest so you won't actually have to take a day off work if you don't want to. I wonder what you will criticise them about then?!

simply put, a superb answer to a fukwit comment!! couldn't agree more with all of the above. especially the pat ribbite thing!!!! riles me!!

good for you wurly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Any links to crowd numbers? As was already pointed out, it's hard to get an actual approximate figure. Pro side go on the low side, anti side go on the high side, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Any links to crowd numbers? As was already pointed out, it's hard to get an actual approximate figure. Pro side go on the low side, anti side go on the high side, for the most part.

It's sounding like ~35k to me. Solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Rte One o'clock news reporting that they expect between 30-35,000 out today

thats a very conservative number, I am on the main march route and crowds have been passing by for the last hour in huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

kingtiger wrote: »
    thats a very conservative number, I am on the main march route and crowds have been passing by for the last hour in huge numbers

Did you take a day off to go on this march?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

kingtiger wrote: »

This is again hardly objective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Did you take a day off to go on this march?

going to head up to Merrion in about an hour

couldn't care less, only saying what I am looking out the window at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He is witnessing the event and making an estimate based on the numbers and the time.

It is the very definition of objective. Might not be accurate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Gardaí will have accurate numbers by the day's end. They have ways of counting the size of crowds.

Of course the protestors will write these numbers off as "propaganda" since they are coming from an arm of the State

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Indeed, even the experts can't agree on how to do it. Just Google "estimating crowd sizes" and you'll see it is actually quite difficult to do with any reliability even when armed with aerial photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

hmmm wrote: »
    Another crowd of eejits just marched down O'Connell street. Just because you're up from the country and have made your pretty banners, doesn't mean the 10 of you should walk down the middle of the street in Dublin and cause disruption for an awful lot of people who are trying to get on with their lives and work.

Yeah, there's enough scobies, scangers and posh yobbos around who do that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

One man already arrested for a minor public order offense. Trying to get up kildare street from nassau street
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1210/665829-water-charges-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds Ted, but I'd say there's about seventeen million of them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

papu wrote: »
    One man already arrested for a minor public order offense. Trying to get up kildare street from nassau street

1 out of 35,000?

Not so much a "lunatic fringe".. its barely a pubic hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Weirdly enough the one cc tv camera from DCC showing protestors on oconnell bridge hasn't been updated since 13:05. Would be a way of seeing some of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

From the photos it looks like all approaches to the Dail have been blocked - that's not usual for protests is it? Also, I'm not sure why the protest didn't go up Dawson street as usual, it looks to be hemmed in at Nassau.

Interesting Garda tactics if so. Nassau street is a depressing dark place to have a protest, you can't even see the Dail - shouting slogans while standing staring at Celtic Note just isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Weirdly enough the one cc tv camera from DCC showing protestors on oconnell bridge hasn't been updated since 13:05. Would be a way of seeing some of the crowd.
    The crowd have long since cleared O'Connell Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't agree with the protests, or at least not with the anti water charges side but fair play to the peaceful protesters, standing up for what they believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

everlast75 wrote: »
    1 out of 350,000?

Where you getting 350,000 from? Not having a go, genuinely interested in where you got that number from.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Where you getting 350,000 from? Not having a go, genuinely interested in where you got that number from.

Apologies - figure corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

1 out of 350,000?

I never , nor did the Report mention "Luncatic Fringe" those are words you conjured up yourself there.

It's 1 arrest , for a minor offence less than an hour into the protest . It's reported for what it is , being stubborn and not following gardai orders.

1 out of 35,000?

It's only 30 mins into the protest FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Had a look just there, I'd say about ten thousand, honestly. That's not to say it won't get bigger.
    To those who are saying There's much more than that, compare it to an all Ireland crowd as a marker, not even close to 80k yet

I never , nor did the Report mention "Luncatic Fringe" those are words you conjured up yourself there.

It's 1 arrest , for a minor offence less than an hour into the protest . It's reported for what it is.
    It's only 30 mins into the protest FFS

papu - I wasn't quoting you; it was reference to Leo Varadkar's infamous comment on the protesters

denhaagenite - if you're gonna tar all the protesters with the same brush then fire ahead. Frankly, if there's a lesser percentile of scumbags amongst them than scumbags amongst the TDs I'd be surprised.

Shot of the protesters gathered so far..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4f07mWIIAAaAYN.jpg:large

Do they have a stage set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Reading social media, i get the feeling that most people just want to protest to feel important for the day, or feel part of something rather than being against the water charges. Maybe its part of society these days, people want to feel important, even when they aren't.

denhaagenite - if you're gonna tar all the protesters with the same brush then fire ahead. Frankly, if there's a lesser percentile of scumbags amongst them than scumbags amongst the TDs I'd be surprised.

I'm not. I said some have an agenda, some are troublemakers and some don't properly grasp the situation. Someone pointed out that only 1 person out of 35,000 was arrested. If 1 person per 30 minutes of the protest in total is arrested (and honestly if someone can't take heed of a barrier in the interest of safety and crowd control--> St Patricks Day parade 101) that's too many and I doubt as time goes on no-one else will lose the plot.

People getting arrested at a protest should not happen in Ireland if they are behaving peacefully and reasonably. It's not a police state, and human rights violations are not tolerated in Irish society.

• Advertisement

human rights violations are not tolerated in Irish society.

Are you serious?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement