Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Reading social media, i get the feeling that most people just want to protest to feel important for the day, or feel part of something rather than being against the water charges. Maybe its part of society these days, people want to feel important, even when they aren't.

Almost the years end and I'd like to nominate this for 'Brain Fart 2014'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Reading social media, i get the feeling that most people just want to protest to feel important for the day, or feel part of something rather than being against the water charges. Maybe its part of society these days, people want to feel important, even when they aren't.

And what gives you the right to deem anyone more important than someone else?

This is the problem with society at the moment. People believing that status or money or education means that some people are more important than others. How arrogant! We are all equal.

People are protesting for a multitude of reasons today involving lies and corruption from our government. And you have a problem with this? And you deem us protesters as unimportant?

My god. It's posts like this that make me really f*cking despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Think about it! You are important to us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Are you serious?

As cancer. People have been abused up and down the country and the abusers over the years and into the future have and will be outed and shamed. Being asked to pay for the cost of fixing a water infrastructure that's been neglected and be penalised for overusing the resource is not a violation of human rights. Being arrested for breaking a barrier set up by a police force is not a violation of a human right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm not. I said some have an agenda, some are troublemakers and some don't properly grasp the situation. Someone pointed out that only 1 person out of 35,000 was arrested. If 1 person per 30 minutes of the protest in total is arrested (and honestly if someone can't take heed of a barrier in the interest of safety and crowd control--> St Patricks Day parade 101) that's too many and I doubt as time goes on no-one else will lose the plot.

People getting arrested at a protest should not happen in Ireland if they are behaving peacefully and reasonably. It's not a police state, and human rights violations are not tolerated in Irish society.

Whilst I don't condone unruly behaviour and concur that protests should be peaceful, I think, with all due respect, that you underestimate the level of frustration the average person has with this government.

You can only push people so far, squeeze only so much money from them, expect them to take some level of buls*it before they stand up for themselves. There were previous displays of protest and the government dismissed them (see my previous post re Varadkar) in the most patronising way possible.

Irish Water stinks of cronyism and the water charges are a complete money grab and 0% about "conserving our water for the future". People have had enough and frankly, if there were more demonstrations when faced with complete ineptitude maybe, just maybe this Country would have less of a reputation for brown envelopes and expense fiddling Ministers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Almost the years end and I'd like to nominate this for 'Brain Fart 2014'.

More a shart than a fart TBH.
    shart
    a small, unintended defecation that occurs when one relaxes the anal sphincter to fart (blend of "shit" and "fart")

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Wurly wrote: »
    And what gives you the right to deem anyone more important than someone else?

This is the problem with society at the moment. People believing that status or money or education means that some people are more important than others. How arrogant! We are all equal.

People are protesting for a multitude of reasons today involving lies and corruption from our government. And you have a problem with this? And you deem us protesters as unimportant?

My god. It's posts like this that make me really f*cking despair.

Money = power. Most people working 9 to 5 are unimportant to the world. This little march makes them feel important and part of something. Otherwise their lives are just irrelevant to everyone bar them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

As cancer. People have been abused up and down the country and the abusers over the years and into the future have and will be outed and shamed. Being asked to pay for the cost of fixing a water infrastructure that's been neglected and be penalised for overusing the resource is not a violation of human rights. Being arrested for breaking a barrier set up by a police force is not a violation of a human right.

Ok, so you're not serious.

Either that or you are dangerously deluded.

Im sure other people can contribute to the vast list of horrific human rights violations that have not only been tolerated but encouraged by the state.

A few examples, Magdeline laundries, Priest Rapists, mass graves of dead children and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Fuhrer wrote: »
    A few examples, Magdeline laundries, Priest Rapists, mass graves of dead children and so on.
    How many of them attracted people onto the street? None.

Yet ask people to pay for their water and you get thousands of protesters and lectures from SF and the Marxists.

Don't pretend this march is about "human rights". It's about trying to get the rest of us to pay for your lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Crowd is massive. Seems to be a hell of a lot bigger than the last time and incredible mix of people.

• Advertisement

Crowd is massive. Seems to be a hell of a lot bigger than the last time and incredible mix of people.

You'd get more people at an All Ireland final. Hope this helps.

Are you a bot? No matter how many times you say the crowd is "massive" it won't make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm looking forward to the counting games. By overestimating the last large march, the right2water crowd have put a lot of pressure on themselves to match the number and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hmmm wrote: »
    How many of them attracted people onto the street? None.

Yet ask people to pay for their water and you get thousands of protesters and lectures from SF and the Marxists.

Don't pretend this march is about "human rights". It's about trying to get the rest of us to pay for your lifestyle.

You still don't get it, do you!?

Christ - I give up!

What's Gerry Adams doing speaking at this protest? I thought he said he was paying his water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

everlast75 wrote: »
    Whilst I don't condone unruly behaviour and concur that protests should be peaceful, I think, with all due respect, that you underestimate the level of frustration the average person has with this government.

You can only push people so far, squeeze only so much money from them, expect them to take some level of buls*it before they stand up for themselves. There were previous displays of protest and the government dismissed them (see my previous post re Varadkar) in the most patronising way possible.

I honestly don't underestimate the frustration, it's more than evident. I just feel like it is mainly misplaced at the feet of government. Sure they're not making popular choices but the problem is changes have to be made and not everyone is going to benefit.
    Irish Water stinks of cronyism and the water charges are a complete money grab and 0% about "conserving our water for the future". People have had enough and frankly, if there were more demonstrations when faced with complete ineptitude maybe, just maybe this Country would have less of a reputation for brown envelopes and expense fiddling Ministers.

I agree IW is currently a quango overfilled with useless civil servants from various CCs and managed by corrupt, inept boys clubs but don't believe it and water charges should be scrapped. I think an unavoidable redundancy payout needs to be made, managers with experience in the field of public utility management (possibly from outside Ireland) brought in and metering to bill should be reinstated.

But really appreciate your points well made, has not often happened in the thread, from either side of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Nail on the head, read Jeff rudds page and the many like it

Isn't it hugely ironic most protesters are protesting against the likes of Denis O'Brien, whilst his company gets paid to put up the barristers to keep the unwashed away from certain buildings. He must find it hilarious.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

So, 1.5 million households of which 35,000 look to have at least one member bully for the row.
    Some of these brought the wife/husband/kids along so that dilutes the figures more.
    Take away those who are only doing it for the craic/peer pressure & will pay in the end so we're probably down to about 15,000 houses represented.
    As many of these are from the country they'll have a well & not be liable anyway.
    So, rough maths, 1,500,000 liable to pay, 15,000 probably won't pay.
    So, 1% . . . . that one time critical mass protest has turned into a squib damper than the property tax protest, sure at least you'll get to see the Dublin Christmas lights so your journey wasn't totally wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

The govt want to pay the billions we need to fix water infrastructure by getting Irish Water to borrow for it. The Anti-Austerity Alliance want us to pay for it directly through taxation instead (according to Paul Murphy TD in the Irish Times on Saturday.) Personally, I'm with the Govt on this one. Why are the Anti-Austerity Alliance advocating more taxation, when the money could be borrowed by someone else instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Some of the posts on here are hilarious. People moaning about people taking a day off work to protest while they post on a message board about people protesting..

Great atmosphere up here, I don't want to throw out any numbers but from where I am all I can see is people everywhere I look. A bit ironic people talking about crowd sizes and such when they aren't here, no?

A bit ironic people talking about crowd sizes and such when they aren't here, no?
    It hasn't been ironic since the invention of the camera, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Poor bast*rds stuck on Dawson St might as well do their xmas shopping.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Of course its money grabbing, we are running a huge deficit, a third of our spending is on sicial welfare, then loans etc, that needs to be paid back, it has to come from somewhere.

Do you think enda and Joan are planning to pocket all the money made from Irish water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

hmmm wrote: »
    It hasn't been ironic since the invention of the camera, no.

hold on there for a moment, they are still filling past my office and thats going on an hour and a half

looking forward to official figures from the Garda and not the few pics that have been published on a few social media sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Isn't it hugely ironic most protesters are protesting against the likes of Denis O'Brien, whilst his company gets paid to put up the barristers to keep the unwashed away from certain buildings. He must find it hilarious.

Is there confirmation of that anywhere. Someone in work didn't believe me when I told them that....

Protest is huge imo. I work in the area and have seen all previous ones over the years.

A true idea of numbers wont be available for another hour or two. From Trinity College up to Clare St. is fully rammed solid. By the the time all the individual strands join up Id say 70-80K

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Don't think we will get any figures from the Garda, didn't they refuse to give an official estimate last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I find your ignorance equally if not more hilarious than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Don't think we will get any figures from the Garda, didn't they refuse to give an official estimate last time?

Yeah, they dont want to get caught up on any side. Just want to do their job and go home.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    Is there confirmation of that anywhere. Someone in work didn't believe me when I told them that....

Protest is huge imo. I work in the area and have seen all previous ones over the years.

A true idea of numbers wont be available for another hour or two. From Trinity College up to Clare St. is fully rammed solid. By the the time all the individual strands join up Id say 70-80K

Yes photos on Twitter for the company putting them out.

Again, "huge crowds" you would get more people at an All Ireland final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement