Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A fellow Scot flew over so that he could live stream the event. Since the referendum result, we need to look elsewhere for drama!

http://new.livestream.com/IndependenceLive/events/3602374?origin=stream_live&mixpanel_id=1424dccc6d46c-03bbf05714b5f78-7e6a1335-13c680-1424dccc6d691&acc_id=10039004&medium=email

He is just looking for a wifi connection at the moment as he moved away from the pub he was using for wifi to see more of the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Ah lads anyone thinking the crowd isnt bigger than last time is in denial. I've been on both and this is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Yes photos on Twitter for the company putting them out.

Again, "huge crowds" you would get more people at an All Ireland final.

Why is your agenda geared towards discrediting today's events? You can have your own opinion without displaying a constant bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

So, 1.5 million households of which 35,000 look to have at least one member bully for the row.
    Some of these brought the wife/husband/kids along so that dilutes the figures more.
    Take away those who are only doing it for the craic/peer pressure & will pay in the end so we're probably down to about 15,000 houses represented.
    As many of these are from the country they'll have a well & not be liable anyway.
    So, rough maths, 1,500,000 liable to pay, 15,000 probably won't pay.
    So, 1% . . . . that one time critical mass protest has turned into a squib damper than the property tax protest, sure at least you'll get to see the Dublin Christmas lights so your journey wasn't totally wasted.

Give it a rest. If this protest isn't your thing, just go about your business. Would you prefer we remain passive and supplicant? That has not really worked for the Irish people so far, has it?
    - A stupid bank guarantee we were not consulted on but which ruined our economy
    - Billions upon billions of debt unjustly heaped upon us
    - A broken health, education, transport and public service despite al our taxes
    - Mass emigration and unemployment
    - Corrupt and incompetent politicians
    - Unfair and unwarranted property tax
    - Disastrous and unworkable water tax
    - Homeless people dying on our streets...
    You should be happy that there are people who care enough about our country to take to the streets and protest.
    I am very proud and grateful to them. (I am a self employed, middle income, liberally minded ordinary man).
    Come on Ireland!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

EazyD wrote: »
    Why is your agenda geared towards discrediting today's events? You can have your own opinion without displaying a constant bias.

Point out where I haven't spoken in facts when mentioning figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Don't really understand the motives of the people on this thread desperately trying to undermine everything about this protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Yes photos on Twitter for the company putting them out.

Again, "huge crowds" you would get more people at an All Ireland final.

Wouldn't be so dismissive of numbers, have you ever seen about 40,000 people on the pitch of Croker celebrating a victory!! certainly doesn't look like 40K...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just came back from it. I'd estimate at least 25 thousand which is a great turnout for a work day. Could only stay for 30 mins as had to go back to the office.

magma69 wrote: »
    Don't really understand the motives of the people on this thread desperately trying to undermine everything about this protest.

Just your standard boards keyboard warriors, nothing unusual about people sitting behind their keyboards talking about others who have got off their asses and taken direct action. They secretly hate themselves, and attempt to hide it by venting drivel upon others.

magma69 wrote: »

Sad students in bedsits on their day off I'm guessing.

• Advertisement

Just your standard boards keyboard warriors, nothing unusual about people sitting behind their keyboards talking about others who have got off their asses and taken direct action. They secretly hate themselves, and attempt to hide it by venting drivel upon others.

Either that or they understand the countries situation and pay their taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Point out where I haven't spoken in facts when mentioning figures.

Where did I mention figures? Your last post included referring to today's protesters as "the great unwashed". Is that a factual statement on your part or just a bit of trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some of the posts on here are hilarious. People moaning about people taking a day off work to protest while they post on a message board about people protesting..

Great atmosphere up here, I don't want to throw out any numbers but from where I am all I can see is people everywhere I look. A bit ironic people talking about crowd sizes and such when they aren't here, no?
    With all due respect, estimating the size of a crowd that you're in is folly. I've been at events with 1,500 people standing the street and from the middle of the crowd it's just people as far as the eye can see.
    A person standing in the middle of a crowd wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 10,000 and 100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Or gobble every line of shite fed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are you at the protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What would be a "successful" size?

By the way, while you're all up there why don't you ask yourself if you have the ability to show the addicts and homeless some compassion, since some here claim to be so concerned. Spare 5 minutes from the holy show (and the lunch and shopping and bringing your mammy to a show) to maybe talk to someone and ask if they would like a warm meal or drink. If you care so much about society then consider all of it and not just your (soon to be privatised :pac:) bubble.

you obviously don't read these threads very much. Very many protestors today are bringing rucksacks of food, clothes and blankets for homeless people they see. Not everyone is selfish and bad. I'm out here on the street and its a very good atmosphere and very decent people around me...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There are people that posted on this thread who agree with the charges but they aren't trying to snipe and undermine the people who are democratically exercising their right to protest.

There's more to it than just a difference of opinion for some people. You'd most certainly fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

There's a lot of people there who just went for a look I'd say. Lots of teenage girls in full makeup. Bit like going to a GAA homecoming.

Thanks for the live link though. A lot of Sinn Féin posters around the place. "Sligo says no" contingent were full of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

naughtb4 wrote: »

mikom wrote: »
    Or gobble every line of shite fed to them.

I can do sums myself. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

you obviously don't read these threads very much. Very many protestors today are bringing rucksacks of food, clothes and blankets for homeless people they see. Not everyone is selfish and bad. I'm out here on the street and its a very good atmosphere and very decent people around me...........

I've followed this whole thread and posted on it numerous times. One person said that they were doing that today. I hope more do, but I doubt many will.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, not really, for the exact same reason I pointed out above. At the moment, I see 200-300 people standing beside the "stage", and loads of other people filing past.

So, no way to judge at all just how many people are involved in this. If I was to estimate based on what I can see on the screen, I would put it at a maximum of 1,000. Which I know is way off.

naughtb4 wrote: »

It doesn't matter the numbers it's the divide its created between the government and the people. Time for them to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

Or they don't want to join a bunch of turkeys voting for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I've followed this whole thread and posted on it numerous times. One person said that they were doing that today. I hope more do, but I doubt many will.

Will you be sending over a parcel from Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It doesn't matter the numbers it's the divide its created between the government and the people. Time for them to go?
    Who are you to speak for "the people"?

seamus wrote: »
    Well, not really, for the exact same reason I pointed out above. At the moment, I see 200-300 people standing beside the "stage", and loads of other people filing past.

So, no way to judge at all just how many people are involved in this. If I was to estimate based on what I can see on the screen, I would put it at a maximum of 1,000. Which I know is way off.

Hahaha. Stop making things up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm at the protest, and theres a lot of people here. Didn't go the last one so I can't compare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement