Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

zerks wrote: »
    Do you post here & complain about Patrick's Day aswell when streets are closed?

That's a national fúckin holiday numbnuts. Auld Paddy didn't get rid of the snakes so you could kick up a fuss about water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The government must be in shock after this. Time for change.

Well, the far-left polled a combined total of 4% just last May in what they said was a "referendum on austerity".

The most recent opinion polls have them no better....

Change won't happen with a 4% backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'd say there in shock at how few turned up all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Turnout seems to be quite low - I doubt they are losing much sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

donvito99 wrote: »
    With that sort of sentiment it's no wonder people aren't parking their cars and joining as you suggest.

A lot of the Dublin Says No groups had a Facebook post asking if people would be A) making a difference or B) doing nothing. It did not go down too well with their supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

One Garda injured, sticks, coins, and water-bottles thrown at Gardai. Eirigi and its rent-a-mob must be around! :D

zerks wrote: »
    Do you post here & complain about Patrick's Day aswell when streets are closed?

The streets are closed & then reopened at set times on that festival & flagged well in advance.

Some Eirigi head the balls engaged in an unauthorized impromptu blocking the quays & luas line cannot be considered comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Sign of the day goes to...

B4gRTxkIcAAkCs5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They could treat the water to remove the impurities, but they choose not to. So if I have to buy a softener to properly filter the water so that it is fit for purpose, then I feel justified not to pay more for water, which has already been paid for by income tax.
    Again I'm no expert either, but seeing as Ireland isn't the only country in the world where hard water is a problem, much as though this may surprise you, it isn't unreasonable to assume that "they" can't remove the hardness on the industrial scale that would be needed in a water works. Processes such as those used in household water softeners very often don't easily scale up to industrial scale unfortunately.

Plus on the health thing, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water#Health_considerations

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Falthyron wrote: »
    One Garda injured, sticks, coins, and water-bottles thrown at Gardai. Eirigi and its rent-a-mob must be around! :D

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Since we (the country) are where we are, with barely a pot to piss in, what is the protestors alternative to charging for water?

I'm assuming everyone can accept that the water system needs upgrading so where do we get the money to upgrade the system without IW in its current form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Source?

It's on RTE website live tracker. The Guard was injured from a water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Since we (the country) are where we are, with barely a pot to piss in, what is the protestors alternative to charging for water?

I'm assuming everyone can accept that the water system needs upgrading so where do we get the money to upgrade the system without IW in its current form?

they want you to pay for it through your income taxes, what's your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Usual rent a mob protesters who have no problem taking money of the state every week. Id say 15k of them. Massive failure for them.

Im fortunate enough to earn over 100k. The 5 others who are here protesting with me today all earn good salaries.

I'm protesting at the formation of the states biggest ever quango with jobs for the boys and cronies. In a few years time we will be paying billions on the tribunals to investigate this whole scam. I'm also protesting at the arrogance, lies, broken promises and complete incompetence of this government.

I'm peacefully protesting to show my children that they should take nothing for granted and that questioning authority can be a good thing.

As a nation we had a history of never questioning our leaders (who lets face it were the Catholic Church) and look where that got us. Many of the older generation are still of this mindset of not rocking the boat.

You obviously wish it was 15k protesting. I'd say it's very very close to 100k overall.

The opinion on the street is that the Gardai were instructed to close off a road that we should have a right to protest on, and to deploy Gardai in riot gear, simply to antagonise people. The cynic in me thinks that the powers that be are hoping that this will inspire a few scum to start firing at things at Gardai because it suits the governments agenda. I didn't see anything like that happening.

Source?

Joe Mag Raoillaigh (RTÉ) on twitter.

But we know RTÉ to be biased so it mustn't be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Source?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1210/665829-water-charges-updates/
    15:37
    A garda has been taken to hospital with facial injuries after he was hit by an object at the protest.

Taxes....

.... however, these taxes are to be paid for by someone else.

• Advertisement

The opinion on the street is that the Gardai were instructed to close off a road that we should have a right to protest on, and to deploy Gardai in riot gear, simply to antagonise people. The cynic in me thinks that the powers that be are hoping that this will inspire a few scum to start firing at things at Gardai because it suits the governments agenda. I didn't see anything like that happening.

That's like saying because Guards wear stab vests they want to be stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Riot squad are now backing up three lines of Garda on Nassau st. to defend Leinster House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

The solution seems to be to cut taxes and increase spending, also to give everyone who doesn't work a free house.

If you ask how it could ever be possible or logical to do that you are obviously a government shill or an FG troll and I will throw a whole heap of exclamation marks at you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Riot squad are now backing up three lines of Garda on Nassau st. to defend Leinster House.

I hope they get to kick the living sh*t out of Eirigi. Id pay to watch that live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Anybody paying income tax has absolutely no business protesting at water charges. Who do those people think will end up paying for it? it wont be the lads on the dole, that's for sure.

Trond wrote: »
    I hope they get to kick the living sh*t out of Eirigi. Id pay to watch that live

They should not be given that pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This logic always amuses me. "The Gardaí are wearing riot gear. We better riot to save face. It's their own fault."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Trond wrote: »

The proper people who are protesting for someting should help then they ruin everything they need to be told to fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Walking home to get baby from crèche. Walking from Holles st via Nassau to whitehall. Obv gathering at Merrion then gap till Nassau/ Kildare then gap till o Connell bridge then middle of o Connell and now Parnell sq.

Aside from the traffic chaos the litter is horrendous! Just cause you object to water tax you don't have to feck everything on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Would anyone who was protesting today like to tell the 100,000 Dublin bus commuters what time they will be allowed get home to their families at tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement