Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

polydactyl wrote: »
    Just cause you object to water tax you don't have to feck everything on the ground
    Someone else will pay for their water, someone else will pay to pick up their litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Since we (the country) are where we are, with barely a pot to piss in, what is the protestors alternative to charging for water?

I'm assuming everyone can accept that the water system needs upgrading so where do we get the money to upgrade the system without IW in its current form?

Since I and many others(people) don't have a pot to piss in can't afford to pay these charges, what is the alternative for us?

The 1 billion already pumped into IW could have done a nice bit of upgrading and I'm sure if the government get the 10 billion(I'm not 100% on that number) they are looking for from the EU for IW that could upgrade quite a lot as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The opinion on the street is that the Gardai were instructed to close off a road that we should have a right to protest on, and to deploy Gardai in riot gear, simply to antagonise people. The cynic in me thinks that the powers that be are hoping that this will inspire a few scum to start firing at things at Gardai because it suits the governments agenda. I didn't see anything like that happening.

Are you suggesting the protesters are bulls? And, the Gardai wearing the riot gear are matadors taunting the protesters? Those crazy animalistic protesters, eh? No self-control and completely at the whim of their natural, violent, urges. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Im fortunate enough to earn over 100k. The 5 others who are here protesting with me today all earn good salaries

has to be a troll, you earn over 100k, yet you have an issue with a few cent a day for water charges, but not the €41,131 a year you will pay in direct income taxes this year on a salary of €100,000? Good one! LOL!

http://services.deloitte.ie/tc/
    Since I and many others(people) don't have a pot to piss in can't afford to pay these charges, what is the alternative for us?

The 1 billion already pumped into IW could have done a nice bit of upgrading and I'm sure if the government get the 10 billion(I'm not 100% on that number) they are looking for from the EU for IW that could upgrade quite a lot as well.
    There are two issues with not having meters in terms of addressing waste 1) people dont care how much they use 2) some property's are losing insane amounts of water through leaks on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On the news that the riot squad is being deployed near Leinster house, after Gardai were attacked by items thrown at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

donvito99 wrote: »
    They should not be given that pleasure.

Pretty please?

Someone should!!! They honestly are absolute knuckle dragging dribbling wasters

polydactyl wrote: »
    Walking home to get baby from crèche. Walking from Holles st via Nassau to whitehall. Obv gathering at Merrion then gap till Nassau/ Kildare then gap till o Connell bridge then middle of o Connell and now Parnell sq.

Aside from the traffic chaos the litter is horrendous! Just cause you object to water tax you don't have to feck everything on the ground

Have you ever seen the place after a match or on a Sunday morning? Just because they are enjoying a game/on a night out doesn't mean they have to do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Suck on them lemons pro side

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

donvito99 wrote: »
    That's like saying because Guards wear stab vests they want to be stabbed.

Yeah good one.

Deploying riot police to a peaceful protest is unnecessary. They weren't deployed to the last one.

Closing off all access to anywhere near the dail....why do this and deploy riot police to a peaceful protest unless you want to antagonise people for a reason. I can guarantee you that the guards do not want to give some scumbags a reason to attack them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

hmmm wrote: »
    Would anyone who was protesting today like to tell the 100,000 Dublin bus commuters what time they will be allowed get home to their families at tonight?

I don't see the muppets on O'Connell Bridge lasting till 530/6pm. Listen to 103.2FM for live updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I don't think one line of riot garda would do much against a 30,000+ strong crowd

Yeah good one.

Deploying riot police to a peaceful protest is unnecessary. They weren't deployed to the last one.

Closing off all access to anywhere near the dail....why do this and deploy riot police to a peaceful protest unless you want to antagonise people for a reason. I can guarantee you that the guards do not want to give some scumbags a reason to attack them

It was not peaceful in its entirety, according to reports.

Yeah good one.

Hold on a second. The Riot police are there for protection, not just for the Gardai, but also for the protesters. Secondly, they were deployed behind the Gardai, so how would the protesters even know they were there?

Is it difficult to convince yourself of these statements you are making?
    16:06
    A large group of gardaí with riot shields and helmets have now deployed to the middle of Kildare Street.

They are remaining well back from the barricade, where uniformed gardaí continue to hold back protesters.

No further missiles have been thrown.

There are dozens of gardaí throughout Kildare Street along with Garda vans and Garda dogs.

All entrances to the street remain closed.

RTE.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Have you ever seen the place after a match or on a Sunday morning? Just because they are enjoying a game/on a night out doesn't mean they have to do it either.

I have and don't like it then either but that had nothing to do with my point today. Only that my boss was in the same situation with a crèche and let me go early to walk my little one would be stranded in a crèche after hours. I have no issue with the Merton sq organised protest it's the random ones at o Connell bridge and Parnell sq bringing the city to a halt that bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

srumball wrote: »
    I don't think one line of riot garda would do much against a 30,000+ strong crowd

I'm sure any one human being would struggle against 30,000 others.

This logic always amuses me. "The Gardaí are wearing riot gear. We better riot to save face. It's their own fault."

I'm glad your amused but clearly that's not what I said.

Seeing a Guard in riot gear is one excuse that a scumbag needs to start attacking a guard. Why the need for the riot gear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Why the need for the riot gear ?

Cause things pelted at them hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Seeing a Guard in riot gear is one excuse that a scumbag needs to start attacking a guard. Why the need for the riot gear ?

That's also (sorta) like saying you shoudn't have dressed like a slag if you didn't want to be sexually harassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

The gaurd taken to hospital could have done with in fairness he wouldn't be there if he had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Because it protects against the stuff being thrown, which has already resulted in a Garda being injured.

• Advertisement

Riot gear means one must cause a riot?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

You can't afford 3 measly euro a week? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Why the need for the riot gear ?

Like condoms.

Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Riot gear means one must cause a riot?

Nay, it only provokes the scumbags into rioting. Poor fellas, nobody ever seems to think of the impact Riot Gear has on a scumbag. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

omega666 wrote: »

Some people really cannot. And its fortunate for others that they aren't able to comprehend such a scenario.

omega666 wrote: »

No I can't. If €3 a week is such a measly figure to you maybe you send it my way every week, I could do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Is it going on till 7? I thought it was ending at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Some people really cannot. And its fortunate for others that they aren't able to comprehend such a scenario.

But you think we can afford to pay for fixing the water system directly through taxes?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    has to be a troll, you earn over 100k, yet you have an issue with a few cent a day for water charges, but not the €41,131 a year you will pay in direct income taxes this year on a salary of €100,000? Good one! LOL!.

So I'm a troll because don't conform to your opinion?

You obviously didn't read my post. I'm protesting bad government, I'm protesting the setting up of the states biggest quango, I'm protesting for the hundreds of thousands who can't afford this now or who most definitely won't be able to afford it when it doubles and triples.

Believe it or not there are people who don't just think about themselves. Living in a democracy gives me the right to protest thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,292 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Optics. Looks like a protest of 30k - 60k that has been overwhelmingly peaceful. Deploying Riot Gear is nonsense. Some will focus on it as intended.

One Garda hit by a bottle? Good going to be honest given the volume of people involved and the emotiveness of the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement