Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So I'm a troll because don't conform to your opinion?

You obviously didn't read my post. I'm protesting bad government, I'm protesting the setting up of the states biggest quango, I'm protesting for the hundreds of thousands who can't afford this now or who most definitely won't be able to afford it when it doubles and triples.

Believe it or not there are people who don't just think about themselves. Living in a democracy gives me the right to protest thankfully.

But these protesters did think of themselves.

Where were they protesting over some people in this country who always had to pay directly for water or have none?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Optics. Looks like a protest of 30k - 60k that has been overwhelmingly peaceful. Deploying Riot Gear is nonsense. Some will focus on it as intended.

One Garda hit by a bottle? Good going to be honest given the volume of people involved and the emotiveness of the issue.

Watch for the image of the riot gear on the front of the Indo tomorrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was not peaceful in its entirety, according to reports.

And if that's true it's the 0.0001% of scumbags who have no interest in protesting but who simply want an excuse to throw stuff at Gardai, that the government will latch on to to deflect attention away from the 99.9999% of people who are here peacefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Since I and many others(people) don't have a pot to piss in can't afford to pay these charges, what is the alternative for us?

The 1 billion already pumped into IW could have done a nice bit of upgrading and I'm sure if the government get the 10 billion(I'm not 100% on that number) they are looking for from the EU for IW that could upgrade quite a lot as well.
    If someone can genuinely not afford to pay €3/€5 per week, then I'm assuming the DSP will assist in some manner as I am assuming they already do with such people. This is obv before the €100 rebate is received.

What's done is already done and what's paid is already paid. No amount of protesting will turn back time so the only thing relevant is what happens from here on in.

Riot gear means one must cause a riot?

Clearly not. Again for the 5th time, seeing a guard on riot gear may give a scumbag all the excuse he needs to become aggressive.

The last 100,000 attended protest passed off completely peacefully. There was no one in riot gear. There was a good relationship between peaceful protestors and guards.

So why the need for riot gear today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Optics. Looks like a protest of 30k - 60k that has been overwhelmingly peaceful. Deploying Riot Gear is nonsense. Some will focus on it as intended.

One Garda hit by a bottle? Good going to be honest given the volume of people involved and the emotiveness of the issue.

They haven't been deployed, they're on standby in the back in case they're needed. Surely you can see the merit in having them close by in the (unlikely) event that things got out of hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Because of previous history with Eirigi & SWP protestors, why the silly questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Clearly not. Again for the 5th time, seeing a guard on riot gear may give a scumbag all the excuse he needs to become aggressive.

So Gardaí shouldn't be allowed to act in a way that is operationally prudent because it might enrage of offend and provoke someone to be aggressive?

Eh, yeah. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,292 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They haven't been deployed, they're on standby in the back in case they're needed. Surely you can see the merit in having them close by in the (unlikely) event that things got out of hand?

The posts on this thread indicated that they had been deployed. In the back on standby? Grand job - so they haven't been used because they haven't been needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Daith

Well for one, Guards are being hit in the face.

Why the need for protesters to resort to violence if they were able to behave themselves before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Believe it or not there are people who don't just think about themselves. Living in a democracy gives me the right to protest thankfully.
    Take a read of the below thread, it echos my sentiments. You are right on the waste, cronyism front by the way, but why protest merely at IW about that, its rampant here throughout the state. There is no way I will march against water charges, because I agree with charging for water. If someone wants to organise a march based on unaccountability, ridiculous pay and pensions regardless of performance, the lump sum pays off etc, poor value for money we get here, where do I sign up?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057331532
    Are Irish people completely mathematically challenged muppets? The biggest protests in years over a water charge which will cost a single person household €60/ annum. Yet not a word over Universal Social Charge which costs a single person on €10/hour (working 40 hours a week) approx €774/ annum.
    A single person on €30,000- not exactly flush if they have to pay for their own accommodation, VHI etc- is paying €1418 per annum. If in a couple, both working, their total household bill for USC is €2836! And yet some of these people are hysterical about a water charge of €160????
    What is going on here? Why isn't the energy focused on the real killers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'm protesting the setting up of the states biggest quango,

Bit late to jump on the HSE.

omega666 wrote: »
    You can't afford 3 measly euro a week? Really?

And herein lies the crux of the issue. Believe it or not there are people who can't afford €3 a week. And dont forget this will double or triple over the coming years.

It's worrying that people don't actually realise there are 10's if not 100s of thousands of people who are on the breadline already.

It's easy to think everyone is comfortable because you are but on reality that no where near the case.

The last 100,000 attended protest passed off completely peacefully. There was no one in riot gear. There was a good relationship between peaceful protestors and guards.

Near the Dail, and given how Paul Murphy treated Joan Burton, I am sure security was going to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

This exactly there is a saying "better to be looking at them than looking for them"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Daith

Near the Dail, and given how Paul Murphy treated Joan Burton, I am sure security was going to be high.

Well he was shouting peaceful protest through his megaphone so it was grand like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

If someone can genuinely not afford to pay €3/€5 per week, then I'm assuming the DSP will assist in some manner as I am assuming they already do with such people. This is obv before the €100 rebate is received.

What's done is already done and what's paid is already paid. No amount of protesting will turn back time so the only thing relevant is what happens from here on in.

Nope. Making a lot of assumptions there.

Most of those who can't actually afford it are those who work, not those on social welfare, and so aren't going to get anything from DSP.

btw Paul Murphy while looking for free water, he said yesterday on the Pat Kenny show that food should be free also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

And herein lies the crux of the issue. Believe it or not there are people who can't afford €3 a week. And dont forget this will double or triple over the coming years.

It's worrying that people don't actually realise there are 10's if not 100s of thousands of people who are on the breadline already.

It's easy to think everyone is comfortable because you are but on reality that no where near the case.

they need to sort their spending or situation then, dont they? or should we simply keep handing out never ending increases because some were irresponsible or cant budget? How do you reckon I will get on if I go into the boss and say I'm bad at handling money or overextended myself, any chance of a pay rise? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

In case a few headbangers get it into their heads that they want to go in to LH and talk to Enda. It's better that they're there and not needed than the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The moment those fools blocked traffic at o'connell bridge was a godsend for the gov. They have done.more.damage to their cause than any government minister or guard in riot gear could.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

... food should be free also.
    Yes, to those who can not afford it.
    You sayin let 'em starve?

donvito99 wrote: »
    So Gardaí shouldn't be allowed to act in a way that is operationally prudent because it might enrage of offend and provoke someone to be aggressive?

Eh, yeah. No.

Then why didn't tue act operationally prudent at the last protest. They didn't deploy riot gear then.

Are you seriously telling me that some people in government aren't secretly hoping for violence so that they can deflect away from the true reasons for this protest?

I'm the last person to become a conspiracy theorist but the cynic in me believes absolutely nothing we are told by those in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

The moment those fools blocked traffic at o'connell bridge was a godsend for the gov. They have done.more.damage to their cause than any government minister or guard in riot gear could.

But the while of town has been a disaster all day, could they not have went to the phoenix park and shouted, letting the rest of Dublin get on with their lives.

Inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

btw Paul Murphy while looking for free water, he said yesterday on the Pat Kenny show that food should be free also.

Nash..... Irish households spend approx €10billion a year on food.

No one is that stupid as to suggest it all be free?

Daith wrote: »
    Well he was shouting peaceful protest through his megaphone so it was grand like.

He was just gently rocking her car back and forth for 4 hours to sooth her after a tough day :pac:

Daith wrote: »
    Well for one, Guards are being hit in the face.

Why the need for protesters to resort to violence if they were able to behave themselves before?

Protestors aren't resorting to violence. Ido to call these people protestors. I see these as people who can't wait for something Le this so they have an excuse to throw stuff at people. These same scumbags probably do this on a weeks basis. I have no time for that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

So I'm a troll because don't conform to your opinion?

You obviously didn't read my post. I'm protesting bad government, I'm protesting the setting up of the states biggest quango, I'm protesting for the hundreds of thousands who can't afford this now or who most definitely won't be able to afford it when it doubles and triples.

Where are the protests over Direct Provision or over our elderly and vulnerable being treated like animals while in care homes?

There are protests over water charges because those groups who are cheerleading the protest movement know there are votes in it for them.

I really don't understand why they keep doing that. What is the benefit to them in pissing the commuters of Dublin off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Then why didn't tue act operationally prudent at the last protest. They didn't deploy riot gear then.

Are you seriously telling me that some people in government aren't secretly hoping for violence so that they can deflect away from the true reasons for this protest?

I'm the last person to become a conspiracy theorist but the cynic in me believes absolutely nothing we are told by those in power.

And if there was a riot? If Eirigi and a few groups started smashing windows, or charging Gardai and throwing objects, you would be the first to condemn them, and then the government for not providing protection services and Gardai with riot gear. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement