Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Reports that an SUV mounted a footpath and hit a group of protesters before speeding away. At least one person rushed to hospital
    probably shouldn't have sat down in the middle of a busy road so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

They should have had it on a Saturday.

True.

A lot of people are working today and would have joined the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

probably shouldn't have sat down in the middle of a busy road so....

WTF, two of ye at it now.

Shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A lot of true colours being shown on this thread right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Oh please be true.

I'm no fan of the protest but I don't want to see anyone hurt either.

Hopefully all are OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

mikom wrote: »
    Why are you wishing for someone to be hit by a 4x4 and sent to the hospital?

Because hopefully someone finally stopped taking sh*t from jobless knuckle-dragging Communist republican thugs. Good to see someone standing up to Eirigi subversives.

If the Gardai had a backbone they'd have cleared the roads to prevent such a situation.

mikom wrote: »
    A lot of true colours being shown on this thread right now.

Well it is After Hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

donvito99 wrote: »
    WTF, two of ye at it now.

Shameful.
    i'm pointing out how they can avoid it happening again :confused:

next up: don't jump in front of a Luas at peak-time to "protest water charges" and expect sympathy if you get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They should have had it on a Saturday.
    To be fair, time is not on their side. A Saturday in December would draw even less crowds than midweek, IMO. Too many people who need to go shopping and recover from hangovers.
    Blocking city streets when people are Xmas shopping would probably result in the protestors getting lumps kicked out of them by shoppers and retailers :D

A Saturday in January would have been best, but for any movement to be effective, you can't sit around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

jmayo wrote: »
    You see that is what has in this fooking mess in the first place.

The politicans gave a big chunk of the people exactly what they wanted.
    Huge increase in public spending, huge increase in public sector wages based on what some earned in bubble industries, huge increase in social welfare to lazy fookwits who couldn't or rather wouldn't work in the country where thousands of immigrants were coming in to work, all the while giving decreases in taxes.

I have to laugh when you hear people complain that fianna fail should not have acted populist, listening to the people who wanted more and done what was best for the country, and now the current crowd are being told to do exactly what fianna fail did and become populist.

The majority in Greece probably believes the government are doing a bad job and should reverse the austerity and the cuts.
    The thing is the people that lend them the money don't and will tell any new government who stop the cuts to bugger off and find the money in their magic money trees.

This government is no better.

They've spent 1 billion on a billing system and placed over paid public servants in charge, the same people who let the system rot. Do you honestly think that overnight they're going to change?

Cronyism is what FG/Labour promised to abolish but now it's clear that 'absolute power corrupts absolutely'.

SF aren't the alternative either and are just spouting rubbish to gain momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

FionnK86 wrote: »
    True.

A lot of people are working today and would have joined the protest.

And those of us that actually work wouldnt be affected by their so called "protest". Blocking O' Connell Bridge is just ridiculous. They are trying to create as much havoc as they possibly can. Dublin as a city is loosing out. Business is going to suffer massively this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Report trolls, don't engage them.

artful_codger don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

nobody cares, get over it, protests cause disruption, go another way

This isn't just incidental disruption - this is a bunch of headbangers purposely blocking out one of the busiest roads in our nations capital. I'm hours delayed as a result of it.

Ask people who have kids to collect whether they care. What is the benefit to your protest of pissing people off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No movement on O Connelly Street bridge, could be a long night for commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

as I predicted yesterday the deflation of the actual amount of numbers begins in earnest

Truly desperate and running scared, will expect this to go on for a few days then the second climbdown to begin, wont be called a climbdown of course but it will be

Shin

i'm pointing out how they can avoid it happening again :confused:

next up: don't jump in front of a Luas at peak-time to "protest water charges" and expect sympathy if you get hit.

You don't - as is being suggested - drive over somebody because they're blocking a road. The Guards should have removed them, but judging by the numbers, that looks to not have been possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

Tasden wrote: »
    Mortgage/rent. Childcare. Travel to work costs.
    At one stage I had to work part time at the weekend relying on family to babysit in order to have enough to pay childcare for my weekday 9-5 job and enough for everything else on top. If I didn't have the second job I wouldn't have had enough to survive. I'd either have to give up my full time job or be in a constant overdraft.

Did you factor in the tax cuts you got in the budget when you came to the conclusion that you couldn't afford the water charge? Tax cuts in the budget, and future tax cuts, are dependent on Irish Water borrowing the money needed to fix the water system, rather than Paul Murphy's solution of it being paid for directly through taxation. Will you be be able to afford the extra taxes Paul Murphy and the Anti-Austerity Alliance are proposing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

And it's all gone silent......away to catch the news and see if they can spot themselves on the telly (via sky or upc)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Ask people who have kids to collect whether they care. What is the benefit to your protest of pissing people off?

Walked 90 min to my crèche, the crèche had revived numerous calls from parents already distressed about being trapped with no way to get to them to collect their little ones. Kids should not be bearing any brunt of the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Since we (the country) are where we are, with barely a pot to piss in, what is the protestors alternative to charging for water?

I'm assuming everyone can accept that the water system needs upgrading so where do we get the money to upgrade the system without IW in its current form?
    irish water in its current form? are you having a laugh? you know that in its current form its headed by failed wastes of space who have failed time and time again at the tax payers expence right?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

shinzon wrote: »
    as I predicted yesterday the deflation of the actual amount of numbers begins in earnest

You'll forgive me for failing to trust the numbers given by those who would seem to benefit from inflated numbers of protesters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

This isn't just incidental disruption - this is a bunch of headbangers purposely blocking out one of the busiest roads in our nations capital. I'm hours delayed as a result of it.

What did you expect to happen ? you folk were told many many times that there would be a large protest in Dublin city on the 10th of December, so you should have known this would happen and took the day off. You put yourself in this position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    Did you factor in the tax cuts you got in the budget when you came to the conclusion that you couldn't afford the water charge? Tax cuts in the budget, and future tax cuts, are dependent on Irish Water borrowing the money needed to fix the water system, rather than Paul Murphy's solution of it being paid for directly through taxation. Will you be be able to afford the extra taxes Paul Murphy and the Anti-Austerity Alliance are proposing?

I didn't factor in anything as I'm no longer in that position and I never said anything about not being able to afford the water charges. I was responding to the poster saying if someone is working and can't afford 3 euro they need to look at their spending, and then something about smoking... anyway, some people genuinely can't afford 3 euro no matter how unbelievable that may seem to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

What did you expect to happen ? you folk were told many many times that there would be a large protest in Dublin city on the 10th of December, so you should have known this would happen and took the day off. You put yourself in this position.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4gj41vIUAEqbfL.jpg

Blocking the bridges is pretty low. Especially during rush hour..
    Doesn't do them any favors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ah diddums.

Excuse me while I go and get a violin to play a very sad song just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Most of the "ordinary" protestors have safely gone home to put their feet up, and left behind Eirigi, the CSM and the "Republican Network for Unity" (whoever they are), who are now happily blocking all commuting traffic in the city centre.

I don't understand the strategy, but if the goal was to make life miserable for hundreds of thousands you have succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

donvito99 wrote: »
    You'll forgive me for failing to trust the numbers given by those who would seem to benefit from inflated numbers of protesters....

and youd forgive me for failing to trust the complete opposite considering the actual sham numbers that were bandied about last time.

Shin

WHY....WHYYYYY....WHY did I seek to be employed on a full time basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lol so the entitlement for a minority to protest over rules the entitlement for the majority to earn a living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Trond wrote: »
    I hope they get to kick the living sh*t out of Eirigi. Id pay to watch that live
    Eirigi will be able to deal with them, the riot squad won't be kicking people just to suit violent extremists and those who want to shut down protests or those who question authority

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement