Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

its not low at all. its very necessary and will do them a lot of favours

Necessary for what? Alienating people from your protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

banquo wrote: »
    More crust on O'Connell bridge than in a fire at Pat The Baker's. Had to get a taxi. Have no issues with the main protest, but the right to protest has to be balanced with other rights.
    Like the right to get home after work? I'm unsure the protesters care about this... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

These people are aware that they are blocking traffic and annoying the s***e out of everyone. Can't they walk themselves out of the way???

That's a rather silly question

They're there to cause disruption to commuters... why would they just walk away themselves? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

its not low at all. its very necessary and will do them a lot of favours

I was at the march today and even I have to say this kind of stuff is pure idiocy and helps no one. All it's doing is detracting from the succesful events of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I'm starting to think you're one of the idiots blocking the road.

Could you ask your Eirigi friends what they hope to achieve with this action?
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Awful bang of Eirigi around here....
    VinLieger wrote: »
    What favours? Pissing of potential support is all it'll do
    So you're saying that their views aren't as important as yours then? That if they choose to oppose you then tough on them? Why aren't you president of the whole world??
    donvito99 wrote: »
    And here you are claiming to speak for a majority of the Irish people.

Why argue with anybody that's stupid enough to support Eirigi?

• Advertisement

The public order unit should be sent in with dogs - watch how fast the crusties get off the road then. Watching Eirigi get gored off the road might even make for some entertainment for those stuck in traffic as a result of them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

seamus wrote: »
    A peaceful and organised protest which aims to show itself as a coherent group with a strong message, works with the Gardai to organise times and routes for the protest to ensure that a message is sent to the Government with the minimal disruption to the rest of the population.

The actions of these protestors goes to show what a mish-mash of fringe groups this shambles of a protest is.

A protest which severely disrupts the lives of your fellow citizens is pissing on your own shoes.

Everyone stuck in traffic tonight is someone who will now never join in any anti-charges protests because their impression of the protestors is of a group of disorganised half-wits and extremists.

Pat on the back for Paul Murphy and Eirigi.
    they will join. they are just rabeling because their little bubble where nothing gets disrupted has been burst. they will have got over it tomorrow

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I've only just logged on now and read the last couple of pages, but is it fair to say that today was a total PR own goal by the protesters, achieving to piss off more people and turn them off their 'movement' than anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Garda estimate 30k+

Organisers estimate up to 100k

they will join. they are just rabeling because their little bubble where nothing gets disrupted has been burst. they will have got over it tomorrow

Is there much craic in being a member of Eirigi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Seems like a spectacular own goal for the right2water groups today, both in the city and on social media. Less than half the number that attended the last protest despite additional backing from Sinn Fein and overseas groups. Early attacks on Gardaí resulting in injury. Disruption to traffic resulting in injury. A real F.U. attitude displayed to people who have been put out by the disruption.

I think it's now pretty evident that a lot of people were happy with the concessions made by government and the water issue has been hijacked by groups with ulterior motives. Groups like AAA, Eirigí, SWP and The Hub are using the water issue to prop up their more radical goals but their veil is slipping more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It would have been hilariously ironic had the riot police used the water cannon on the select few protestors who tried to storm Kildare Street.

nm wrote: »
    I've only just logged on now and read the last couple of pages, but is it fair to say that today was a total PR own goal by the protesters, achieving to piss off more people and turn them off their 'movement' than anything else?

Only an idiot would use the actions of a handful of Eirigi activists to discredit the protest as a whole

No shortage of them in this thread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It's more like select groups of dissents, probably no more than 0.1-0.5% of the total crowd who attempted to cause mayhem. Amazing that people cite the actions of the overwhelming vast minority in this case.

They should be told they have 10 minutes to get off the road or the public order unit will be sent in.

Lets see how steadfast our little revolutionaries are in the face of the prospect of getting belted off the road by the riot police. At least in the unlikely event that they stick around, it would give the commuters of Dublin some recompence for their delay.
    any time the riot police belted anyone in this country, they lost as they were and will be outnumbered. they will let this play out to ensure it ends peacefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Only an idiot would use the actions of a handful of Eirigi activists to discredit the protest as a whole

No shortage of them in this thread though

It's not about the majority acting properly though.

People will take with them the fact that it took them a few more hours to get home than usual, and there are thousands of them.

And the fact that it's marketed as "Right to Water" etc does mean they'll have a PR problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wonder why the LUAS doesn't just plough on through? Those things are heavy, and the storm drains should be able handle the extra fluids quite well.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

any time the riot police belted anyone in this country

i didn't realise we were meant to keep score?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I don't think it would be fair no. The overwhelming majority of protests went ahead as planned and only a very small minority seem intent on disrupting commuters.

sjb25 wrote: »
    I'm against water charges but them ejets blocking that road have NO right to do that at all none everyone of them could be and should be arrested under the public order act
    they shouldn't. this needs to end peacefully so if letting them off does that, so be it

• Advertisement

any time the riot police belted anyone in this country, they lost as they were and will be outnumbered. they will let this play out to ensure it ends peacefully.

There only seems to be a dozen or so blocking the road. I'm not talking about the main body of protestors - don't agree with what they're protesting about, but that is their right. I'm referring to the cognatively challenged Eirigi heads blocking the traffic (and incidentally, discrediting the wider protest in the eyes of many).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

To my surprise RTE gave pretty good coverage on the 6 news. Some great scenes of the day, 2 seconds spent on the small number of people on the roads, seems like people on here are blowing it up more then needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bnt wrote: »
    I wonder why the LUAS doesn't just plough on through? Those things are heavy, and the storm drains should be able handle the extra fluids quite well.

Because pedestrians always have right of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

There only seems to be a dozen or so blocking the road. I'm not talking about the main body of protestors - don't agree with what they're protesting about, but that is their right. I'm referring to the cognatively challenged Eirigi heads blocking the traffic (and incidentally, discrediting the wider protest in the eyes of many).

Says more about those on the fence than anything. "Oh 200 or so people disrupted my commute home, damn the whole movement!".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

You don't - as is being suggested - drive over somebody because they're blocking a road. The Guards should have removed them, but judging by the numbers, that looks to not have been possible.
    i'm not suggesting they get mowed down, just if they happen to get hit, then it's their own fault for sitting on a busy road where people might not see them until it's too late.

if they're going to block busy main roads in the capital during peak rush-hour, then it's their own fault for getting injured. fukc them.

It's not about the majority acting properly though.

People will take with them the fact that it took them a few more hours to get home than usual, and there are thousands of them.

And? As I said, only idiots and the dishonest will conflate the actions of 20 or so Eirigi activists with the 30,000+ people who demonstrated as planned and didn't cause any disruption. No doubt people will use that 20 or so people to paint all protesters in a bad light. A few are already doing it in this thread.
    And the fact that it's marketed as "Right to Water" etc does mean they'll have a PR problem.

The blocking of roads or bridges certainly wasn't marketed that way.

VinLieger wrote: »
    What favours? Pissing of potential support is all it'll do

not at all. the supposed support they would piss off were support they never had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Talk on social media of Gardai stopping buses on route to Dublin this morning checking people were wearing seat belts.
    If that's policy to disrupt people going to the protest today quite frankly it's pathetic.

EazyD wrote: »
    Says more about those on the fence than anything. "Oh 200 or so people disrupted my commute home, damn the whole movement!".

Are you saying that isn't what plenty of people are going to think when they come in the door having spent a good few more hours on the commute than they should have because a bunch of fools wanted to disrupt things?

Those idiots are as much a PR problem for the "movement" as anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

not at all. the supposed support they would piss off were support they never had

further alienating people is hardly in their best interest is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement