Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Just home after a long cold walk. All cross-city buses stopped. About 50 stupid looking ball-bags sitting on O'Connell Bridge. Hundreds standing at bus stops on the way home not knowing what was going on.
    Had to walk passed these morons, a right bunch of free loaders. Don't know why they were protesting, by the look of them they don't use much water to wash.
    Fcuk Paul Murphy, Boyd-Barrett and this shower of clowns.
    Christ, I'm on the fence with regards to water charges but comments like the above really makes me admire and sway my support towards those who went out and protested today.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Do people who support the march really think this matters/they were successful today ?

I know ye are all delighted with the march and pumped up but in the cold light of day only 35k-40k turned up (for whatever reason).

This means nothing to the government and thankfully I think they wont bend any more to the pressure they have come under.

Realistically the government can't/won't reverse this policy unless there is a unheralded turn out for a march which simply wont happen.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Im pissed off with the protesters on OConnell bridge so much so that I went to talk with them.
    I talked to 2 groups.

The first group was at the Westmoreland Street end. I asked them to get off the road because they were doing huge damage to the movement. The older fella said that they were taking the bridge and it wasn't done in 1916. I proceeded to explain that this was losing the movement support and images of this will be all over the papers tomorrow causing non social media saavy folk to turn against. Nice enough lads but naive to the damage they were doing. Its the only way they'll listen one said.

I then talked to a second group on the O'Connell St side. These lads were well covered up faces and all. I said straight out to them they should have thought about their actions and they have pissed off commuters and their images will be all over the media tomorrow. One fella said 'well its done now' and got a laugh out of it. These were unsavoury characters no doubt about it. One lad had his head covered in tatoos and he was giving an intense stare.

Anyone affiliated with these lads and you know what groups you are you have well and truly fooked up a good day. Seriously do they not think? We are winning.

Talked to gardai after who were anti water charge too on O'Connell st. They were of the same opinion as myself. ****ing it up for everyone else.

Im fuming tbh

the traffic blockers are a rseholes no doubt most rational people will separate them from the tens of thousands of rightful protestors after they calm down.

Farmers blocking Dublin's traffic never appear to get as much coverage or ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stopped by O'Connell St. there after walking from Heuston. Basically a small bunch of kids and Eirgi dickheads are blocking O'Connell bridge in all directions, about 100 of them. This has NOTHING to do with the actual protests. I wanted to give them a piece of my mind about how they are hijacking and poisoning a valid national movement but there was nobody who would engage / was worth engaging with. These people are the dregs of society - the 30 - 60k who validly protested today would have nothing to do with them being honest. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Falthyron wrote: »
    Fair play to you, I mean that sincerely.

It also explains why 'end of the road' hasn't posted in a while. How is he doing out on the bridge? Was he the one with the tattoos and his face covered? *waves*

Yep, I long for positive change in this country that I love so much. It broke my heart to see the damage being done by so few. Im dreading tomorrows headlines. We are so close to something great.

• Advertisement

murphk wrote: »
    Do people who support the march really think this matters/they were successful today ?

I know ye are all delighted with the march and pumped up but in the cold light of day only 35k-40k turned up (for whatever reason).

This means nothing to the government and thankfully I think they wont bend any more to the pressure they have come under.

Realistically the government can't/won't reverse this policy unless there is a unheralded turn out for a march which simply wont happen.

Thoughts?

That will be their very big mistake.
    This is not going away and Mr0" I don't do numbers" Kelly and his comrades will feel the strength of it in 2015 or 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Ok. Just applied online for the water charges.

I marched before about it but for me, things have changed in my outlook. Todays march changed my mind.

I live in a household of 2 adults, 2 kids.

Both of us work. Household income is around 70k gross.

We work hard , have to fork out for childcare and mortgage and so on and so on. No money to upgrade a 14 year old car or have a foreign holiday like lots of others do. Taxed as 2 single people and paying through the nose.
    Cant complain. My kids, my costs.

What has changed my mind is the amount of people at that march today that expect me to pay for them to have water.

The only next outcome from another government backdown is to give the lowest earners and the people who do not bother working a complete break from any charges.
    In turn. Not only will I have to pay for myself and my family,

But I will also have to pay for joe or Jarosław down the street who currently sit on their holes all day drinking stella and smoking fags already. living for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Thoughts?

Yup Water charges are coming in no matter how many marches take place. Fairplay to people that turned up today everyone has a right to protest I am lucky to work 5 mins from my home but if I worked in town I'd be pissed off if I was obstructed from getting home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Stopped by O'Connell St. there after walking from Heuston. Basically a small bunch of kids and Eirgi dickheads are blocking O'Connell bridge in all directions, about 100 of them. This has NOTHING to do with the actual protests. I wanted to give them a piece of my mind about how they are hijacking and poisoning a valid national movement but there was nobody who would engage / was worth engaging with. These people are the dregs of society - the 30 - 60k who validly protested today would have nothing to do with them being honest. Pricks.

There's s fair few fcukwits who would see this as an opportunity to cause agro and intimidate legitimate protesters, no matter what the subject is.

I marched before about it but for me, things have changed in my outlook. Todays march changed my mind.

We work hard , have to fork out for childcare and mortgage and so on and so on. No money to upgrade a 14 year old car or have a foreign holiday like lots of others do. Taxed as 2 single people and paying through the nose.

What has changed my mind is the amount of people at that march today that expect me to pay for them to have water.

The only next outcome from another government backdown is to give the lowest earners and the people who do not bother working a complete break from any charges.

But I will also have to pay for joe or Jarosław down the street who currently sit on their holes all day drinking stella and smoking fags already. living for free.

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

No, it's DashCamDanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

This is not going away and Mr0" I don't do numbers" Kelly and his comrades will feel the strength of it in 2015 or 2016
    Will it though?

what do you think will be the end result of the next election

I think the majority of people of this country are centre right voters and that will be the leaning of the next government

Genuine question

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The protesters today aren't representative of Irish society as a whole. Government know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

There's one born every minute...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

FORMER JUNIOR MINISTER Fergus O’Dowd, one the people involved in setting up Irish Water, said last night that he felt that there were “forces at work” with “agendas” to privatise the utility company.
    He said he remains “deeply concerned at other agendas, they may be European… I don’t know where they are coming from…” and said we have “real reason to be concerned” about the possibility of Irish Water being privatised.
    Responding to the Fine Gael TD’s comments, Environment Minister Alan Kelly told reporters this morning: “I don’t really know what Fergus O’Dowd is talking about, to be frank. I haven’t a clue.
    “I mean ‘dark forces’? That goes to a space where I’m not really sure where he’s going to be honest.”

Cats out of the bag FG are over,Id nearly forgive O'Dowd for finally telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Just home after a long cold walk. All cross-city buses stopped. About 50 stupid looking ball-bags sitting on O'Connell Bridge. Hundreds standing at bus stops on the way home not knowing what was going on.
    Had to walk passed these morons, a right bunch of free loaders. Don't know why they were protesting, by the look of them they don't use much water to wash.
    Fcuk Paul Murphy, Boyd-Barrett and this shower of clowns.

What an idiotic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

You realize he was essentially given a poison chalice here? This is big Phil's doing, not Alan Kelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What an idiotic comment.
    ...Yet accurate :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

The protesters today aren't representative of Irish society as a whole. Government know this.

PS workers, private sector workers, Gardai, pensioners, women with children, self employed, PAYE staff, nurses, doctors, builders, pensioners and unemployed etc etc

Think that's fairly representative of Irish society as a whole ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

To the pricks sitting on o'connell street, o'connell Bridge and westmoreland street -

Thanks for adding an extra hour to my 2 hour commute, you basterds.

• Advertisement

PS workers, private sector workers, Gardai, pensioners, women with children, self employed, PAYE staff, nurses, doctors, builders, pensioners and unemployed etc etc

So, the 30-40,000 are representative of Irish Society as a whole? What about the other ~4,500,000? They are just...inconsequential?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I disagree with you. Looking at those who were interviewed marching there seemed to be a good cross section of Irish society there. I would have been marching myself if I had a day off left. If there is a protest on the 31st of Jan I'll be there.

Will it though?

what do you think will be the end result of the next election

I think the majority of people of this country are centre right voters and that will be the leaning of the next government

Genuine question

I'm hoping (believe it or not) that the two cheeks of the same arse, ie FG and FF finally join or coalesce so you can have your centre-right govt, sham Labour are obliterated and a genuine left-right divide emerges.

Hopefully, a genuine new social democratic party can emerge from the sham Labour ruins and this country after 100 years can finally have a normal party system.

I believe that just may happen in 2015 or 2016 and I believe this movement will make that happen even if a few people decamp from earlier protest and are stupidly tempted by the "lower charges for a while" carrot - the silly, stupid fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

AlekSmart wrote: »
    ...Yet accurate :o

Maybe in the mind of a slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It also explains why 'end of the road' hasn't posted in a while.

it doesn't.
    How is he doing out on the bridge? Was he the one with the tattoos and his face covered?

i'm not on the bridge.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/luas-service-disrupted-by-car-on-track-1.2033197?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Was gonna suggest this is Eirigi, but they couldn't afford an Audi... Then again, they probably stole it and put it there.

Really?
    Today, as on the last two marches, there was a considerable cross-section of society.
    You're not focusing on the stupid neanderthals of eirigi now are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Numbers for the protest looked sizeable.

But

No agenda
    Anyone that had any axe to grind turned up (and was invited)
    Message was basically being unhappy about stuff and things.

On top of that they p1ssed off the hard working locals of the City with the largest population in Ireland.

To top it off the streets are covered in rubbish.

Could have been done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Are you listing the professions of the hundreds of thousands who have been stuck in traffic all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a bunch of old rabel rabel generalization bull****. you were always going to pay. enjoy being screwed to keep a few failures in a high paying job

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement