Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

About .0025% of the overall protest number today held up the bridge and cause misery for many. They are not representative of the movement and certainly not welcome in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

This is the bit that I have a hard time believing.

Not many of us can afford to take a day off, especially coming up to christmas.

No we can't, have to work to pay all the taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

About .0025% of the overall protest number today held up the bridge and cause misery for many. They are not representative of the movement and certainly not welcome in my eyes.

Even without the bridge stunt, the city was a mess for people getting around to work etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Yeah, 'cause pissing off thousands of people is the way to fix that. Water meter protest groups are always talking about people needing to unite to beat the government. All they've done today is lost support.

Opinion polls and local elections have shown that IW is a dead duck. Opposing IW equates to votes,The trend is only growing the majority dont want FG in power its undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People from all backgrounds were in attendance, that's what represents a cross section of society... not the numbers present.
    No it's not. It represents a cross section of society that are willing to take time off work (or don't work). That doesn't constitute a sample of the population.

Grand, so you agree then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Are you listing the professions of the hundreds of thousands who have been stuck in traffic all day?

I'm sure there were people from the professions mentioned stuck in traffic ok.
    What's your point?

'hundreds of thousands stuck in traffic all day':D
    More hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

they didn't piss me off. the few rabblers will get over it once they get home

Is it getting cold, out on that bridge?

Yes. It's not a self-selecting sample of protesters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

Oh dear.
    None so blind and all that..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Why do people from western counties insist on bringing county flags with them to every event?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yeah its generalisation. and its not the truth.

fixed
    Complete shambles of a set up. But if you think you will not pay more eventually, you are fooling yourself.

i won't be paying a cent. so i won't be paying more. you will be paying more because you stupidly signed up for them to keep a couple of failed wasters in a job because of a couple of protesters. well done. enjoy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Few rabblers?

You mean the thousands of people stuck in traffic all evening? The gardai who were injured? The poor bus drivers who had to deal with diversions and delays and the inevitable ****e that came with that? The older people, stuck in the cold because the buses STILL can't run?

It's more than a 'few.'

I was actually in support of the protesters (as my much earlier posts in this thread show), but they can fcuk off now.

Yea, protesting is ok as long as it doesn't affect me.
    Classic NIMBY attitude.

Well they pissed me off. They closed the city centre to traffic at evening rush hour and cost me more than €200 in the process, more than the annual charge for water
    yeah. i'm sure it cost you 200 euro.

Why do people from western counties insist on bringing county flags with them to every event?

Perhaps to show that the protest 'represents' people from all over Ireland????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

nobody has been stuck in traffic all day. for a few minutes here and there but not all day

That's bull****

my office overlooks D'olier st and i can also see O'connell bridge and pearse st. There were buses and cars stuck at the junction of pearse/Tara st at the fire station for at least 3 hours they were still there when i left at 4.

The idiots on the bridge today put lives at risk with this moronic stunt, traffic backed up city wide but these ****wits don't care as long as they get on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That's not how you take a representative sample. This a massively self-selected sample of people. By definition they're all anti-water charges or whatever, they're also all the sort of people who are willing to take time off work to protest (or they don't work). That's not representative, regardless of how the crowd was made up.

I didn't say it was scientific - any march can only be sized up in regards to numbers and composition during and after.

The line that none of the 4.5million are represented by any of the marchers is ridiculous.

I'm happy to say the marchers over all protests so far do not represent all of the people of Ireland.

No march could.

PS to save me replying separately to your previous post about an Amarach poll, the options were all how would you like to pay so that was hardly unloaded.
    And FG promised never to bring in unmetered charges - we are where we are because...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Grand, so you agree then

Clearly not, but it's obviously pointless labouring the point with you. Maybe try to discover the difference yourself by reading a couple of introductory books on statistics?

Few rabblers?

You mean the thousands of people stuck in traffic all evening? The gardai who were injured? The poor bus drivers who had to deal with diversions and delays and the inevitable ****e that came with that? The older people, stuck in the cold because the buses STILL can't run?

It's more than a 'few.'

I was actually in support of the protesters (as my much earlier posts in this thread show), but they can fcuk off now.
    so you suddenly support the crony jobs for the boys club that is irish water because you got a bit delayed? good man. good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

So has anyone any ideas on how to fix our ancient water system that will crumble to nothing for our future generations if we all don't invest in it now?

All we are doing is pushing the inevitable for our kids to pay for.

It needs huge investment and this money ain't gonna come from nowhere.

I think I heard it would take 250 years at 300km a year of pipe to fix it.

That's bull****

my office overlooks D'olier st and i can also see O'connell bridge and pearse st. There were buses and cars stuck at the junction of pearse/Tara st at the fire station for at least 3 hours they were still there when i left at 4.

The idiots on the bridge today put lives at risk with this moronic stunt, traffic backed up city wide but these ****wits don't care as long as they get on the news.
    all wrong. no lives were put at risk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I didn't say it was scientific - any march can only be sized up in regards to numbers and composition during and after.

The line that none of the 4.5million are represented by any of the marchers is ridiculous.

I'm happy to say the marchers over all protests so far do not represent all of the people of Ireland.

No march could.

Agreed, on every point.
    Sir Oxman wrote: »
    PS to save me replying separately to your previous post about an Amarach poll, the options were all how would you like to pay so that was hardly unloaded.
    And FG promised never to bring in unmetered charges - we are where we are because...?

It's impossible to not not pay for water.

1. Metering
    2. Flat Charges
    3. General taxation

That's an exhaustive list of how provision can be paid for. The status quo is option 3, we've now stumbled on to option 2 (which I don't support and I acknowledge your final point to that effect).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did anyone else who was there think that the protest was a clusterfcuk by the Gardai? I joined in O'Connell Street and we all marched up to Nassau Street. A Dail protest to me means walking up Kildare St and protesting outside the Dail but the Gardai had the entire lenght of it blocked off, kinda shows how scared stiff the government are IMO. Anyway Nassau Street was jammers and the Gardai weren't letting anyone onto Merrion Square into the section they had designed to hold 60,000 people. They said it was full up to me so I can only assume it was wedged on Merrion Square. The 20,000 odd on Nassau St had really no-where to go then but back down to O'Connell Street during which time the bridge was blocked, the crowds were so big it couldn't not be to be honest. Some people were saying to protest at the GPO but that already had its usual population of preachers and a Hare Krishna band playing when I visited.
    Anyway I was at the O'Connell Bridge junction for over an hour and there wasn't a single Garda to be seen anywhere, they were totally caught on the hop. I then made my way down to the bridge at Liberty Hall where protesters were demonstrating there and a car had literally just knocked over a protester in a hit and run. While i was standing there an ambulance and two fire brigades showed up to stretcher the lad off to hospital but still no Gardai were present or showed up.

If anything this was a cock up by the Gardai, all marchers were intending on reaching Merrion Square for the main rally, when the Gardai blocked off Merrion Square to thousands of protestors they didn;t seem to think that they weren't just going to go home.

That's bull****

If people want to sit on a bus that's obviously going nowhere, for 4 hours, that's up to them.

Personally, if I used public transport and was stuck in traffic, I'd get off and walk after 15 mins or so.

I suppose some people like to be victims all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

so you suddenly support the crony jobs for the boys club that is irish water because you got a bit delayed? good man. good for you.

As a matter of interest how much is the Eirigi membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Reading social media, i get the feeling that most people just want to protest to feel important for the day, or feel part of something rather than being against the water charges. Maybe its part of society these days, people want to feel important, even when they aren't.
    Almost the years end and I'd like to nominate this for 'Brain Fart 2014'.

Another poster that doesn't live up to their username. "ThinkAboutIt" indeed.

:/

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So has anyone any ideas on how to fix our ancient water system that will crumble to nothing for our future generations if we all don't invest in it now?

Yes, we could continue to spend the €1.2 billion of taxpayers money annually like we have been doing, but in a more streamlined and targeted way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Ok. Just applied online for the water charges.

I marched before about it but for me, things have changed in my outlook. Todays march changed my mind.

I live in a household of 2 adults, 2 kids.

Both of us work. Household income is around 70k gross.

We work hard , have to fork out for childcare and mortgage and so on and so on. No money to upgrade a 14 year old car or have a foreign holiday like lots of others do. Taxed as 2 single people and paying through the nose.
    Cant complain. My kids, my costs.

What has changed my mind is the amount of people at that march today that expect me to pay for them to have water.

The only next outcome from another government backdown is to give the lowest earners and the people who do not bother working a complete break from any charges.
    In turn. Not only will I have to pay for myself and my family,

But I will also have to pay for joe or Jarosław down the street who currently sit on their holes all day drinking stella and smoking fags already. living for free.

If I could thank this post 1000 times i would. That is the net effect of the Government climb down - Irish Water will still get the full amount, but the Government will fund nearly half of it from the f**king PAYE taxpayer again. The tax dodgers and "permanently unemployed" who never even bothered to work in the Celtic Tiger, will pay f**k all yet again.

Yeah, 'cause pissing off thousands of people is the way to fix that. Water meter protest groups are always talking about people needing to unite to beat the government. All they've done today is lost support.
    they haven't. any support they supposibly lost was support they never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The answer(s) you hear will be selected from a salad of:
    • "Jobs for the boys"
    • "We already pay for water"
    • "Bankers, speculators, and bond holders"
    • "Paul Murphy said it, so it must be true"
    • "Everything is Denis O'Brien's fault"
    • "...more bankers, speculators, and bond holders"
    • "Water leaks into the ground"
    • "We just can't take any more cuts"
      (...said individual then proceeds to the off license)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

fair point but one thing I always ask....Why now?? why not when we were splashing the cash during the Celtic Tiger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm sure there were people from the professions mentioned stuck in traffic ok.
    What's your point?

'hundreds of thousands stuck in traffic all day':D
    More hyperbole.

How many people do you think would have been stuck today over the 5 or 6 hours these gob****es blocked the bridge?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement