Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Few rabblers?

You mean the thousands of people stuck in traffic all evening? The gardai who were injured? The poor bus drivers who had to deal with diversions and delays and the inevitable ****e that came with that? The older people, stuck in the cold because the buses STILL can't run?

It's more than a 'few.'

I was actually in support of the protesters (as my much earlier posts in this thread show), but they can fcuk off now.

Ah, paint all the protesters with the same brush, just because 50/60 idiots blocked the roads. You really cannot distinguish between the majority of peaceful law-abiding protesters and between a few stupid un-connected rogue protesters can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

The answer(s) you hear will be selected from a salad of:
    • "Jobs for the boys"
    • "We already pay for water"
    • "Bankers, speculators, and bond holders"
    • "Paul Murphy said it, so it must be true"
    • "Everything is Denis O'Brien's fault"
    • "...more bankers, speculators, and bond holders"
    • "Water leaks into the ground"
    • "We just can't take any more cuts"
      (...said individual then proceeds to the off license)

The bit in brackets says more about you than the rest of your post does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If people want to sit on a bus that's obviously going nowhere, for 4 hours, that's up to them.

Personally, if I used public transport and was stuck in traffic, I'd get off and walk after 15 mins or so.

I suppose some people like to be victims all their lives.

you do know its more than just dublin bus that goes over the bridge right?
    Are people supposed to walk to balbriggan, drogheda, belfast. or should they have to pay 30-40 euro for a taxi/train.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Uriel. wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much is the Eirigi membership?
    how would i know i'm not a member

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The bit in brackets says more about you than the rest of your post does.

True - it says I'm right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm sure there were people from the professions mentioned stuck in traffic ok.
    What's your point?

'hundreds of thousands stuck in traffic all day':D
    More hyperbole.

The knock on effect is when they go home to their families and complain about it.

Then in work they talk about it at lunch

Then they talk about it in the pub

Then they hear more about it on TV

Eventually it snowballs into a "I am sick to death of people chanting bloody *insert slogan*"

At the very least you need to keep the people who are neutral on the topic or they can become polar opposites quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

a bunch of old rabel rabel generalization bull****. you were always going to pay. enjoy being screwed to keep a few failures in a high paying job

....or enjoy being screwed by those who expect others to subsidise them - same difference I guess !

How many people do you think would have been stuck today over the 5 or 6 hours these gob****es blocked the bridge?

166 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Yes, we could continue to spend the €1.2 billion of taxpayers money annually like we have been doing, but in a more streamlined and targeted way.

So you would agree with charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I don't agree with the idiots blocking O Connell bridge, just pisses people of and there is no need for it, the point was well and truly made at the Dail and there is another protest planned for January 31st when we go again

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

How many people do you think would have been stuck today over the 5 or 6 hours these gob****es blocked the bridge?

More people than the number that turned out for the protest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Clearly not, but it's obviously pointless labouring the point with you. Maybe try to discover the difference yourself by reading a couple of introductory books on statistics?

There were young and old people at the protest, people from all socio-economic backgrounds, people from all over the country.

You seem to be confusing what 'representing a cross section of society' means in such a context.

It has nothing to do with statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And I'd wager that the majority of the protesters are unemployed.

I've worked everyday of my life I could. Im in the top bracket of tax and pay a hell of a lot out of my pocket to keep this country going.

I took one of my precious annual leave days off today to March.

Your comment makes you a grade a idiot with no factual evidence to back up its nonsense.

In fact I'd garner I pay more taxes than you because if that's the standard of argument you come up with it begs believe the level of employment that one would gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Uriel. wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much is the Eirigi membership?

Your soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Falthyron wrote: »
    Indeed it is not that difficult. It is not that difficult for workers to organise a day of leave or use a holiday to come out and protest against something that is apparently ruining the country. And yet, only 30,000-40,000 turned up. It is not that difficult to see that the protesters are nothing more than a vocal minority. They talk about wanting democracy to rule over the affairs of the country, but that requires a majority. Where was the majority today? Where were the workers taking a day off to join the protesters? Nowhere to be seen. Well, actually, they are stuck on O'Connell street to be precise, trying to get home.

I get it. You want your cause to be a success, to win, to feel validated. But, if you want democracy to win, then you have to respect the 'majority'. Maybe, 2016 will bring a new government, who knows. But right now, the protesters and a small, vocal minority. The numbers reflect that, if nothing else.

I'm sorry but I cannot get over your loathing and disregard for peaceful, democratic marchers from all walks of life making their feelings known over 3 highly successful and peaceful protests against the biggest cock-up since the last biggest cock-up administered by the ignorant loons of the inner-inner cabinet.

I don't want to be validated but if you feel so strongly on the opposite side of this argument/debate, go out and represent yourself or don't and use your ballot to return an FG or Lab or FF in 2015 or 2016.
    That is your choice.

My choice is to march and vote and make my voice heard and stand beside fellow citizens from all walks of life and effect change that I believe in.

True - it says I'm right.

No, it shows a condescending generalisation of people.

This is the bit that I have a hard time believing.

Not many of us can afford to take a day off, especially coming up to christmas.

No holidays left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Gustav_Holst

Ah, paint all the protesters with the same brush, just because 50/60 idiots blocked the roads. You really cannot distinguish between the majority of peaceful law-abiding protesters and between a few stupid un-connected rogue protesters can you.

Yeah it's kinda difficult to distinguish Eirigi filth from the rest of the protesters when one of the main Right2Water organisers is an Eirigi supporter. Brendan Ogle. You also had Gerry Adams featuring prominently - another one who used violence when it suited him.

Eirigi were very much at home among the Right2Water organisers there today, and anyone who marched to their tune should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

everlast75 wrote: »
    Whilst I don't condone unruly behaviour and concur that protests should be peaceful, I think, with all due respect, that you underestimate the level of frustration the average person has with this government.

You can only push people so far, squeeze only so much money from them, expect them to take some level of buls*it before they stand up for themselves. There were previous displays of protest and the government dismissed them (see my previous post re Varadkar) in the most patronising way possible.

Irish Water stinks of cronyism and the water charges are a complete money grab and 0% about "conserving our water for the future". People have had enough and frankly, if there were more demonstrations when faced with complete ineptitude maybe, just maybe this Country would have less of a reputation for brown envelopes and expense fiddling Ministers.

I completely agree.

Irish people are sick of corruption, cronyism and special interest quangos and we were promised that it was the end of such things.

We were lied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The knock on effect is when they go home to their families and complain about it.

Then in work they talk about it at lunch

Then they talk about it in the pub

Then they hear more about it on TV

Eventually it snowballs into a "I am sick to death of people chanting bloody *insert slogan*"

At the very least you need to keep the people who are neutral on the topic or they can become polar opposites quite quickly.

Stay on the continent Keith it suits your argument more. Sure we are paying for your stay there. 46% and all

• Advertisement

Yeah, 'cause pissing off thousands of people is the way to fix that. Water meter protest groups are always talking about people needing to unite to beat the government. All they've done today is lost support.

You do know it was 50/100 a rseholes who disrupted traffic, notably eirigi heads not the many 10000's

Try to have some level of critical understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

shinzon wrote: »
    there is another protest planned for January 31st when we go again

Has the government not collapsed yet?

The 31st probably wont be needed, what with the 10th Dec protest bringing down the government.

major bill wrote: »
    fair point but one thing I always ask....Why now?? why not when we were splashing the cash during the Celtic Tiger?

Because ff done everything to stay in power which meant not making tough decisions which this govt is doing now.

Imagine they are making these decisions knowing it will probably loose them the next election, but someone has to make these tough decisions.

But people cant see this and only are thinking of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Falthyron wrote: »
    Indeed it is not that difficult. It is not that difficult for workers to organise a day of leave or use a holiday to come out and protest against something that is apparently ruining the country. And yet, only 30,000-40,000 turned up. It is not that difficult to see that the protesters are nothing more than a vocal minority. They talk about wanting democracy to rule over the affairs of the country, but that requires a majority. Where was the majority today? Where were the workers taking a day off to join the protesters? Nowhere to be seen. Well, actually, they are stuck on O'Connell street to be precise, trying to get home.

I get it. You want your cause to be a success, to win, to feel validated. But, if you want democracy to win, then you have to respect the 'majority'. Maybe, 2016 will bring a new government, who knows. But right now, the protesters and a small, vocal minority. The numbers reflect that, if nothing else.

Such a lot of pain in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I haven't signed up for IW yet but I probably will like a lot of other people.
    If I pay for water through motor tax at the moment then it follows on I pay more than some one who doesn't pay motor tax.
    If there's someone(as there is) driving around without paying motor tax...is that fair I'm paying for their water.

Surely if EVERYONE paid for their water it would be more fair than this

yipeeeee wrote: »

But people cant see this and only are thinking of themselves.

Well the absolute cheek of them for 'thinking about themselves'.
    The bastards.:rolleyes:

Well the absolute cheek of them for 'thinking about themselves'.
    The bastards.:rolleyes:

Well don't come out with patriotic were thinking of future generations BS when its all about me me me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Tony EH wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Irish people are sick of corruption, cronyism and special interest quangos and we were promised that it was the end of such things.

We were lied to.

I think it's time to expand from just the water, the amount of corruption that has been uncovered is sickening and not only confined to the water. They won't listen about the children's hospital. People are going to be crippled with property tax now house prices are rising even do wages have not risen. Banks are selling rental property folios to vulture funds who are making it impossible for affordable rent. Allowing banks to take back houses with people not having alternative accommodation putting more pressure on a broken homeless situation!! THEY HAVE NOT GOT THE MANDATE OF THE PEOPLE THEY GOVERN,they only have the mandate of Europe, banks and bond holders!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There were young and old people at the protest, people from all socio-economic backgrounds, people from all over the country.

You seem to be confusing what 'representing a cross section of society' means in such a context.

It has nothing to do with statistics.

Someone who chooses to go to a protest by taking a day off work (or doesn't work) isn't representing the large majority of people who decided to do otherwise. People who went today are obviously passionate about not having water charges and believe that protests are useful.

I'd suggest that most people in Ireland are far more politically apathetic than the above and far more apathetic about water charges in general. There's also people who ardently support them that wouldn't show up today.

Based on all this, it's unrealistic to surmise that the protest group was representative of the general view of the population. That's in no way down to the numbers that showed up, it's down to self-selection bias in our sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I haven't signed up for IW,

Yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement