Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Because ff done everything to stay in power which meant not making tough decisions which this govt is doing now.

Imagine they are making these decisions knowing it will probably loose them the next election, but someone has to make these tough decisions.

But people cant see this and only are thinking of themselves.

Rethoric. This government and its backers avoided all the tough decisions. They just trimmed off the edges and targeted middle income workers.

So go read a book on what they've done the last four years.

Tough decisions my left testicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yes. It's not a self-selecting sample of protesters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

Ok.
    let's all select candidates for future marches by engaging MRCB to poll prospective marchees and allow those only.

It is accepted that all walks of life and employment status/professions/ages/colours/creeds/sexuality were present at all massive demos so far in this story.

This IS why the Coalition with a massive majority decided oh we now don't need metering for 5 years, we don't need PPS numbers, here's 100e back each look, it's only 1.50/3e a week etc etc (the carrot)

I don't understand people that don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

how would i know i'm not a member

Yes you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Pocoyo wrote: »
    I think it's time to expand from just the water, the amount of corruption that has been uncovered is sickening and not only confined to the water. They won't listen about the children's hospital. People are going to be crippled with property tax now house prices are rising even do wages have not risen. Banks are selling rental property folios to vulture funds who are making it impossible for affordable rent. Allowing banks to take back houses with people not having alternative accommodation putting more pressure on a broken homeless situation!! THEY HAVE NOT GOT THE MANDATE OF THE PEOPLE THEY GOVERN,they only have the mandate of Europe, banks and bond holders!!

Oh dear there is so much that is wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Three hours it's taken me to get home and there is still an awful lot of people on the quays desperately trying to get on buses.

Before this I was opposed to the water protesters because they were trying to hoist the charges on PAYE workers. Now I'm even more opposed after seeing what was going on in the city centre and reading what has been said here - these protesters don't give a damn about workers, they only care about making sure that they live as comfortable lives as possible off the taxpayers back - they were laughing at us as we tried to make our way home.

This isn't about the "working class", we were all trying to get buses that weren't running. This is about the long term dolers and those who think that the state exists to pay for their lifestyle. They will happily block the entire city while waving their Sinn Fein/Eirigi/32CSM flags because they couldn't care less about workers, because they have no idea what work even is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well don't come out with patriotic were thinking of future generations BS when its all about me me me.

Makes a change from being a FG shill though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Well don't come out with patriotic were thinking of future generations BS when its all about me me me.

The Irish people have stood by, patriotically, for the last 6 years while living standards and wages were slashed, taxes raised and public services cut to keep FFail and FG's EU buddies happy.

We've had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Coming up near merrion square this afternoon; a few walked up to the left side of the march asking everyone to march back down to o connell bridge; most people just ignored them and kept on the main march route; I took a good look at some of those protesting on o connell bridge; few of the faces I recognize from the papers/ social media they have held unofficial splinter/ separate protests in the past also.

Someone who chooses to go to a protest by taking a day off work (or doesn't work) isn't representing the large majority of people who decided to do otherwise. People who went today are obviously passionate about not having water charges and believe that protests are useful.

I'd suggest that most people in Ireland are far more politically apathetic than the above and far more apathetic about water charges in general. There's also people who ardently support them that wouldn't show up today.

Based on all this, it's unrealistic to surmise that the protest group was representative of the general view of the population. That's in no way down to the numbers that showed up, it's down to self-selection bias in our sample.

You are completely wrong. I know for a fact I personally represent about twenty people that didn't have the luxury of taking the day off. I would say that is pretty common across the crowd today.

And if someone calls me a shinner or an eirigi card holder they are a moron. And none of the twenty or so are either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Oh dear there is so much that is wrong on this.

Please explain?

I bet you wont.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Gustav_Holst

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yes you are

He's really is a huge Member isn't he...

listermint wrote: »
    Rethoric. This government and its backers avoided all the tough decisions. They just trimmed off the edges and targeted middle income workers.

So go read a book on what they've done the last four years.

Tough decisions my left testicle.

And with water charges it ain't just the middle income that have to pick up the tab, its everyone.

Bravo I say.

Agreed, on every point.

It's impossible to not not pay for water.

1. Metering
    2. Flat Charges
    3. General taxation

That's an exhaustive list of how provision can be paid for. The status quo is option 3, we've now stumbled on to option 2 (which I don't support and I acknowledge your final point to that effect).

Don't want to be a pedant! But the question was a rise in general taxation.;)

hmmm wrote: »
    Three hours it's taken me to get home and there is still an awful lot of people on the quays desperately trying to get on buses.

Before this I was opposed to the water protesters because they were trying to hoist the charges on PAYE workers. Now I'm even more opposed after seeing what was going on in the city centre and reading what has been said here - these protesters don't give a damn about workers, they only care about making sure that they live as comfortable lives as possible off the taxpayers back - they were laughing at us as we tried to make our way home.

This isn't about the "working class", we were all trying to get buses that weren't running. This is about the long term dolers and those who think that the state exists to pay for their lifestyle. They will happily block the entire city while waving their Sinn Fein/Eirigi/32CSM flags because they couldn't care less about workers, because they have no idea what work even is.

Another NIMBY post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LorMal wrote: »
    Give it a rest. If this protest isn't your thing, just go about your business. Would you prefer we remain passive and supplicant? That has not really worked for the Irish people so far, has it?
    - A stupid bank guarantee we were not consulted on but which ruined our economy
    - Billions upon billions of debt unjustly heaped upon us
    - A broken health, education, transport and public service despite al our taxes
    - Mass emigration and unemployment
    - Corrupt and incompetent politicians
    - Unfair and unwarranted property tax
    - Disastrous and unworkable water tax
    - Homeless people dying on our streets...
    You should be happy that there are people who care enough about our country to take to the streets and protest.
    I am very proud and grateful to them. (I am a self employed, middle income, liberally minded ordinary man).
    Come on Ireland!!!!!

Absolutely.

Prevention of another disasterous bloated entity like the appalling HSE is what's needed here.

To think that we have Pro IW circle jerkers on here say that they're anti Irish Water and then trying to denigrate the protesters at every turn, and even reaching right down to the bottom of the insult barrell to do so is incredible.

These type of people, who are supposedly against the likes of Irish Water, but are willing to "wait and see" and "hope it turns out OK" are completely delusional, especially in the light of other instances through our recent history. These are the very same fools that turn around later and wonder how things got so bad.

You're supposed to prevent disasters before they occur, not wait an see if they'll be ok in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Makes a change from being a FG shill though ;)

Still the same old argument/accusation after three threads.

"Before this I was opposed to the water protests now I'm even more opposed" There is so much lol in your post I don't know where to start.

Enjoy that road your on which my €1811 motor tax pays for. Top bracket paye protestor right here

Next.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

listermint wrote: »
    You are completely wrong. I know for a fact I personally represent about twenty people that didn't have the luxury of taking the day off. I would say that is pretty common across the crowd today.

Regardless of whether or not that's the case (and I'm not saying it is or it isn't), it still doesn't inherently make the crowd a representative sample of the population, purely because of the biased sampling procedure.

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Please explain?

I bet you wont.

Your statement the govt don't have mandate for a start.

And with water charges it ain't just the middle income that have to pick up the tab, its everyone.

Bravo I say.

Yea 'bravo'.

€160 if you're a millionaire with a swimming pool and €160 if you're financially on your knees.

Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Those who blocked the bridge are a very tiny minority of the Water Protest.
    They act on their own and are not truly representative of the vast majority of protesters.

Regardless of whether or not that's the case (and I'm not saying it is or it isn't), it still doesn't inherently make the crowd a representative sample of the population, purely because of the biased sampling procedure.

Change the record will ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Prevention of another disasterous bloated entity like the appalling HSE is what's needed here.

To think that we have Pro IW circle jerkers on here say that they're anti Irish Water and then trying to denigrate the protesters at every turn, and even reaching right down to the bottom of the insult barrell to do so is incredible.

These type of people, who are supposedly against the likes of Irish Water, but are willing to "wait and see" and "hope it turns out OK" are completely delusional, especially in the light of other instances through our recent history. These are the very same fools that turn around later and wonder how things got so bad.

You're supposed to prevent disasters before they occur, not wait an see if they'll be ok in the end.

Silly fools. :D

How can they trust FF or FG LOL!! :D:D :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I see a lot of the anti-meter groups going mental on Facebook because they caught and detained some reporters secretly filming local protests. One would wonder why this would be an issue if they are doing nothing wrong at them.

wow sierra wrote: »
    If I could thank this post 1000 times i would. That is the net effect of the Government climb down - Irish Water will still get the full amount, but the Government will fund nearly half of it from the f**king PAYE taxpayer again. The tax dodgers and "permanently unemployed" who never even bothered to work in the Celtic Tiger, will pay f**k all yet again.

No.
    IW will be gone but thanks to the fck up of this lunatic govt, near a billion will have been wasted on secondhand meters/consultants/inflated wages/a failed attempt at privatisation.

This is what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

He's really is a huge Member isn't he...

Perhaps an associate member? That's why he won't disclose the membership fee... Gets it for free while the bottom of the pile knuckledraggers pay his way

Yea 'bravo'.

€160 if you're a millionaire with a swimming pool and €160 if you're financially on your knees.

Bravo.

TV licence.
    Car tax.
    Petrol.
    ESB.
    Gas bills.

All the same for everyone, why not water charges?

Yea 'bravo'.

Bravo.

Which is why metering is so important. Everyone should pay for what they use.

I see a lot of the anti-meter groups going mental on Facebook because they caught and detained some reporters secretly filming local protests. One would wonder why this would be an issue if they are doing nothing wrong at them.

Keep throwing it, some will stick.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bravo I say.

Bravo for coming back into your pocket again unnecessarily?

Bravo? I think you're a grade a silly you realise vrt vat and motor tax won't be coming down to balance this do you.

Lol lol lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement