Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Falthyron wrote: »
    Fair enough, you hate the system. But, surely you must accept that you are not a part of the majority. The majority of this country favour this system and continue to vote for whomever they support or see as the best option.

Opinion polls and local elections suggest that the majority in actually fact disagree with you the people are voting for reformists my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fair enough, you hate the system. But, surely you must accept that you are not a part of the majority. The majority of this country favour this system and continue to vote for whomever they support or see as the best option.

But the polls dont support any of your arguement ?

And the only people that wont let us ask the question are FG and Labour who are voting confidence in themselves with big willy whip system.

Thats an embarrassing arguement you are making there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Pocoyo wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/

Enda's going to make you lot pay,YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE PATRIOTS FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS.

Are you warm enough, standing out on that bridge holding up traffic? Hope you bought a jacket or you'll catch your death!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hmmm wrote: »
    Three hours it's taken me to get home and there is still an awful lot of people on the quays desperately trying to get on buses.

Before this I was opposed to the water protesters because they were trying to hoist the charges on PAYE workers. Now I'm even more opposed after seeing what was going on in the city centre and reading what has been said here - these protesters don't give a damn about workers, they only care about making sure that they live as comfortable lives as possible off the taxpayers back - they were laughing at us as we tried to make our way home.

This isn't about the "working class", we were all trying to get buses that weren't running. This is about the long term dolers and those who think that the state exists to pay for their lifestyle. They will happily block the entire city while waving their Sinn Fein/Eirigi/32CSM flags because they couldn't care less about workers, because they have no idea what work even is.
    yeah. rabel rabel. you're an absolute scream

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

no i'm not. and as you won't be able to post evidence to prove it, you will withdraw the accusation

Prove you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

listermint wrote: »
    Oh im all for tax on fuel. I think its a better system,

So a pay as you use system.
    Whats your thoughts on a HSE style behemoth just for a call centre and billing system?

Any thoughts ?

I think a Semi-Public regulated system with transparent costs and public accountability would be better than setting it up as a registered charity while absorbing all the problems of the local health boards with it.

My health insurance (German) is expensive but at least I see the direct cost, the HSE is paid for from an endless money pit with little in the way of encouragement for improvement.

So nobody actually knows what it costs them, or where the money goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Gustav_Holst

You are giving away too much. We now know you are in Eirigi and you have family who work in Iarnrod Eireann. The net is closing in...
    a great man. one of irelands best trade union leaders, and a man who's name always puts the fear of god into the most hardened person. if they're is anyone you need to fight for you, its him

Well, I'm convinced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I doubt that the majority favour the system of water charges at all.
    I also doubt the numbers IW say sent back their details. Do these include the "No contract" returns?
    I am also aware of many who sent back their forms through fear but are anti water charges,

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Are you warm enough, standing out on that bridge holding up traffic? Hope you bought a jacket or you'll catch your death!

Sure why would he need a jacket, hes just been to the off license paying his portion of taxes

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Personal attack!!! that sir is a personal attack....Rape whistle has been blown. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So .

What will happen if people don't pay?

I am signed up because more than likely it will be to my benefit as a household. As a homeowner with a family. Going against the grain will upset a fine balancing act with regards bills and children.

I suspect that most people will put off paying for a while. Get a bill with with another fee and the threat of more again

Pay and be compliant.

Just like the hot air blast over the household charge which nearly everyone is now compliant with.

They cant turn off my water. I know that.

What else can they do? Can Irish water even answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The protest was meant to take place around Dáil Éireann, now there are hundreds of people blocking one of the busiest thoroughfares in the city. How the hell are people supposed to plan for that?

Write a strongly worded letter to Denis then. He put up the barriers around the Dail.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

But the polls dont support any of your arguement ?

And the only people that wont let us ask the question are FG and Labour who are voting confidence in themselves with big willy whip system.

Thats an embarrassing arguement you are making there.

Almost 70% of the electorate turned out to vote in 2011. More than the previous general election. That is a vote of confidence in the system. If people felt so disconnected, so disenfranchised, the numbers would be much lower. Or, there would be massive protests against the system, and not minor issues such as Irish Water.

So a pay as you use system.

I think a Semi-Public regulated system with transparent costs and public accountability would be better than setting it up as a registered charity while absorbing all the problems of the local health boards with it.

My health insurance (German) is expensive but at least I see the direct cost, the HSE is paid for from an endless money pit with little in the way of encouragement for improvement.

So nobody actually knows what it costs them, or where the money goes.

Ah Keith I see you chose to dismiss the 'Style' in the post.

Not a bad effort at deflection but quite transparent if i was being brutally judgemental

Almost 70% of the electorate turned out to vote in 2011. More than the previous general election. That is a vote of confidence in the system. If people felt so disconnected, so disenfranchised, the numbers would be much lower. Or, there would be massive protests against the system, and not minor issues such as Irish Water.

Read the polls, let people vote for confidence in your party.

Facts are there for you to see. You are wrong.

Read the polls, let people vote for confidence in your party.

Facts are there for you to see. You are wrong.

I don't have a party. So, if these polls are indicative of the general sentiment towards the political system in Ireland then why are you calling for the government to fall and a general election? So you can then vote in another party into that very system you say is failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So lads did we win?

What difference did the latest "protest" make I wonder?

I don't have a party. So, if these polls are indicative of the general sentiment towards the political system in Ireland then why are you calling for the government to fall and a general election? So you can then vote in another party into that very system you say is failing?

I want the change we were promised, And if governments have to fall to show them that we are dissatisfied and that they ARE accountable then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You think you have a choice, that's the annoying bit!;)

The majority didn't expect an inner cabinet or the DAil to be a glorified rubber stamp - surely?
    You (as part of the mystical majority) surely expect your Taoiseach to actually be able to answer a question when asked in our Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ah Keith I see you chose to dismiss the 'Style' in the post.

Not a bad effort at deflection but quite transparent if i was being brutally judgemental

Not really

So you are for tax in your fuel.
    Pay as you use

And the HSE is a terrible example ;)

That's all I needed to see really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Look at the polls, look at the shocking jobless figures, look at the incredible anti water protest turn outs. If people can't see the end is nigh for this government they are fooling themselves. It's over.

So lads did we win?

What difference did the latest "protest" make I wonder?

Struggling to see why you chose to do this with the word "protest"

But sure to answer a silly question.

Put more pressure on the government similar to the previous "protests"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

That's democracy baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

major bill wrote: »
    fair point but one thing I always ask....Why now?? why not when we were splashing the cash during the Celtic Tiger?

Because FF were busy bribing their way into power and we didn't care because we were all loaded.
    Stay on the continent Keith it suits your argument more. Sure we are paying for your stay there. 46% and all

:rolleyes:
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Prevention of another disasterous bloated entity like the appalling HSE is what's needed here.

To think that we have Pro IW circle jerkers on here say that they're anti Irish Water and then trying to denigrate the protesters at every turn, and even reaching right down to the bottom of the insult barrell to do so is incredible.

These type of people, who are supposedly against the likes of Irish Water, but are willing to "wait and see" and "hope it turns out OK" are completely delusional, especially in the light of other instances through our recent history. These are the very same fools that turn around later and wonder how things got so bad.

You're supposed to prevent disasters before they occur, not wait an see if they'll be ok in the end.

We're not willing to "wait and see", we'd like to have our say on IW and how it's run but we can't because Éirigí, water charges protestors and Paul Murphy/ Brendan Ogle are too busy having their say. I pointed out that getting rid of current management and bringing in people who have experience managing a major utility, as well as redundancies for the leftover CC workers is one solution. You guys don't have any solution so are imo contributing to the problem or are really just another problem to add to all of the problems.

Enjoy that road your on which my €1811 motor tax pays for. Top bracket paye protestor right here

Next.....

We get it, you're loaded and you don't want to pay. Bully for you. By the way, you don't sound as clever as you think you do.
    Yea 'bravo'.

€160 if you're a millionaire with a swimming pool and €160 if you're financially on your knees.

Bravo.

There's your and your "patriotic" friends achievement right there. You achieved that from your last day out.
    It really sticks in the shills craw that the protesting has made a huge difference and upset the status quo. Love it.

See above. The difference that you made is in making the situation worse than it was. Metred charge = Good, Flat charge = Bad.
    a great man. one of irelands best trade union leaders, and a man who's name always puts the fear of god into the most hardened person. if they're is anyone you need to fight for you, its him

**SWOON**

I want the change we were promised, And if governments have to fall to show them that we are dissatisfied and that they ARE accountable then so be it.

What change? If you have well defined goals/objectives, then list them, and the manner in which you expect them to be achieved. 'Change' is not a good description. And the government falls... then what? Who to take over? Or what shape should that government take?

When one goes on a campaign to war, meticulous planning is given to the goals/objectives. What is it you want to achieve, precisely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Look at the polls, look at the shocking jobless figures, look at the incredible anti water protest turn outs. If people can't see the end is nigh for this government they are fooling themselves. It's over.

35,000 is an incredible turn out? sure you'd get that for bruce springsteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Struggling to see why you chose to do this with the word "protest"

But sure to answer a silly question.

Put more pressure on the government similar to the previous "protests"

Ah! So nothing has changed then.
    Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

"I think a Semi-Public regulated system with transparent costs and public accountability would be better than setting it up as a registered charity while absorbing all the problems of the local health boards with it. "

"A Semi-Public regulated system"

What a load of cra*.

Not really

So you are for tax in your fuel.
    Pay as you use

And the HSE is a terrible example ;)

Oh but its not, both provide a social service. Both have a bulk of workers that they cant get rid of. Both were setup badly, Both are currently badly managed. And both have ministers who really didnt want the portfolio.

Perfect example by all accounts Keith.

Perfect.

But just because the HSE is so bad that it doesnt suit your "Guardian of water" Irish water will be analogy you will be at paints to parallel the two.

Maybe you will open you're eyes to what is going on. This isnt the german system that you exampled. We have our own unique problems that this government is just compounding.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    35,000 is an incredible turn out? sure you'd get that for bruce springsteen.

There were more paying to see Garth Brooks. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement