Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

There's your and your "patriotic" friends achievement right there. You achieved that from your last day out.

My patriotic friends have shown that we have a government afraid to govern.

We need a General Election and if FG/labour are so sure of themselves they will have no problem giving us the chance to decide.

Either way, I won't be paying any water tax, and the threat of me not getting a €100 bribe won't change that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

gladrags wrote: »
    I am not in favour of being mugged by Irish water.

You are.

Let's leave it at that.

So you were fine with being "mugged" directly from your pay with wildly different amounts of funding used for different areas (for the supply of water) as it was before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

gladrags wrote: »
    I am not in favour of being mugged by Irish water.

You are.

Let's leave it at that.

You're in favour of having a walk around Dublin and giving yourself a pat on the back for it. You're in favour of having an argument. You're not in favour of proposing any solution and fighting for that. Let's continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

So you're not in favour of Irish Water yet you are going to give them your money? Makes sense.
    A lot of people would agree that Irish Water has made a bit of a pig's ear of things so far, but still think that it makes sense to have a public utility company manage our water system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

This, here, is the problem. Reading the last line of a post is the equivalent of looking at the black and white and ignoring the grey.

I thought making paragraphs in my posts would make them easier to read but apparently it's better if I just mash it all together and don't bother to use capitals or full stops.

I read the whole post and the point I made summed up my feeling towards it. You said you were against everything IW is about yet you are still going to support the company? You don't want it to be run by the people it's run by but what do you think will happen if everyone pays their IW bill? Those same people you are stating you don't want in control will get a pat on the back and a nice bonus on top of their wages. That sounds like complete madness to me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why the hell do you want to hand money over to IW then? Seriously like? People would have no issue paying for water if things were done fairly in this country.

And by fairly I mean there is a lot of work to be done which includes putting an end to corrupt civil war politics and starting again.

Are you for real?

Right 2 Water are against Water Charges, no matter how those charges are administered or by whom.

If your position is that you'd pay water charges if it was administered by someone other than IW then your viewpoint is at odds with the group that claims to represent the people protesting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ive worked on Kildare st for 10 years and Id say it was nearer to 60-70k.

Had a funny run in on O Connell st. (i cycled through them) Well when It say me it wasnt exactly, but another bloke who asked them what the **** they were doing. The reply was "we didnt take this bridge in 1916!!! Unreal! It also wasnt Eirigi in was another "Republican movement"

They had flags and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did anyone else who was there think that the protest was a clusterfcuk by the Gardai? I joined in O'Connell Street and we all marched up to Nassau Street. A Dail protest to me means walking up Kildare St and protesting outside the Dail but the Gardai had the entire lenght of it blocked off, kinda shows how scared stiff the government are IMO. Anyway Nassau Street was jammers and the Gardai weren't letting anyone onto Merrion Square into the section they had designed to hold 60,000 people. They said it was full up to me so I can only assume it was wedged on Merrion Square. The 20,000 odd on Nassau St had really no-where to go then but back down to O'Connell Street during which time the bridge was blocked, the crowds were so big it couldn't not be to be honest. Some people were saying to protest at the GPO but that already had its usual population of preachers and a Hare Krishna band playing when I visited.
    Anyway I was at the O'Connell Bridge junction for over an hour and there wasn't a single Garda to be seen anywhere, they were totally caught on the hop. I then made my way down to the bridge at Liberty Hall where protesters were demonstrating there and a car had literally just knocked over a protester in a hit and run. While i was standing there an ambulance and two fire brigades showed up to stretcher the lad off to hospital but still no Gardai were present or showed up.

If anything this was a cock up by the Gardai, all marchers were intending on reaching Merrion Square for the main rally, when the Gardai blocked off Merrion Square to thousands of protestors they didn;t seem to think that they weren't just going to go home.

I was on Merrion Sq West around 1:45 pm and as you say it was wedged, I proceeded down towards Kildare St and noticed that Nassau St and Leinster St were both full of various groups of protestors marching towards the already packed Merrion Sq West. Kildare St was of course blocked off. Looking at the tv tonight Merrion Sq Sth was also fairly full. So if the Merrion Sq holding area was full to capacity ie 60,000 how come only the Gardai stated only 30,000 attended ?

It just doesn't stack up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

P_1 wrote: »
    The organisers of these protests really need to cut the likes of Eirigi out of the movement. You had a successful enough protest today but what is everyone talking about? The 50 or so gobshítes who made everyone else's journey home a misery. Now say they aren't representative of the movement till you're blue in the face but try telling that to someone who was stuck in the freezing cold for hours waiting on their bus.

unfortunately, limiting anyone's right to protest is questionable.

i was at the march today and aside from a few idiots (i was at kildare street when the cop got hit and the riot squad was deployed) the atmosphere wasnt too bad. it was a protest and there was a lot of anger but there were just as many middle aged and elderly, as there was younger lads.

a small minority got the headlines but i hope the vast majority of people travelling thru the city were treated respectfully, i know our little group made sure we did.

We need a General Election and if FG/labour are so sure of themselves they will have no problem giving us the chance to decide.

You showed them that you could easily have the wool pulled over your eyes and they did that. There was a fair, metred system proposed and now there isn't.
    Either way, I won't be paying any water tax, and the threat of me not getting a €100 bribe won't change that one bit.

It wasn't a tax and now it is. You allowed, even facilitated that.

• Advertisement

The organisers of these protests really need to cut the likes of Eirigi out of the movement. You had a successful enough protest today but what is everyone talking about? .

The only ones droning on about eirgi, or whoever it was that blocked the bridge, are the pro water tax lads.
    It's what they do.
    Tar every protester as one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Who do you wish to govern us?

You showed them that you could easily have the wool pulled over your eyes and they did that. There was a fair, metred system proposed and now there isn't.

It wasn't a tax and now it is. You allowed, even facilitated that.

Are revenue collecting it?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Who do you wish to govern us?

I'll be voting for SF in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The organisers of these protests really need to cut the likes of Eirigi out of the movement. You had a successful enough protest today but what is everyone talking about? The 50 or so gobshítes who made everyone else's journey home a misery. Now say they aren't representative of the movement till you're blue in the face but try telling that to someone who was stuck in the freezing cold for hours waiting on their bus.

Agreed entirely. Eirigi aren't part of the movement but much like I argue with feminism and censorship, the mainstream anti-water movement needs to make it abundantly clear that we condemn these gobsh!tes and their attention seeking militant bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

I read the whole post and the point I made summed up my feeling towards it. You said you were against everything IW is about yet you are still going to support the company? You don't want it to be run by the people it's run by but what do you think will happen if everyone pays their IW bill? Those same people you are stating you don't want in control will get a pat on the back and a nice bonus on top of their wages. That sounds like complete madness to me.
    If you want to hear complete madness, Paul Murphy is the man you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Oh I suspect you will, one way or another.

I suppose there is no point asking you yet again who you think should be in government that will do a better job?

I want to engage with the government to propose a solution to the problem, rather than just be another problem. I've said that numerous times. It's not my problem if you can't even be bothered to read what you're responding to.

First Up wrote: »
    Oh I suspect you will, one way or another.

Well, I do one way, but I won't be, the other way.

Your other point was answered.

More fool you then.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    More fool you then.

Na, I got fooled by FG and Labour in 2011....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

At lest the Cubans have rum, sunshine and cigars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

I want to engage with the government to propose a solution to the problem, rather than just be another problem. I've said that numerous times. It's not my problem if you can't even be bothered to read what you're responding to.

How are you going to go about engaging with the government to achieve this solution?

At lest the Cubans have rum, sunshine and cigars...

That's nice.

Na, I got fooled by FG and Labour in 2011....

The fact that people actually think SF are a genuine option is scary. They have a complete joke of an economic policy and it seems that them making a few blustery remarks about water charges to play to the crowd is fooling some people. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm sure you are a realist (!) so you will know that SF will at best be a junior partner in a coalition (if you are deluded enough to expect something else please say).
    In that case, who do you want them to be in government with and which parts of SF's policies do you expect to be implemented?
    A secondary question; how many "broken promises" by SF will it take for you to throw them on the scrap heap - and who then?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    He's one of the lads on the bridge

i'm not. wrong again

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

You're fed up with this governments cronyism, jobs for the boys and general all round lies but yet you will vote for SF next time round? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We're not willing to "wait and see", we'd like to have our say on IW and how it's run but we can't because Éirigí, water charges protestors and Paul Murphy/ Brendan Ogle are too busy having their say. I pointed out that getting rid of current management and bringing in people who have experience managing a major utility, as well as redundancies for the leftover CC workers is one solution. You guys don't have any solution so are imo contributing to the problem or are really just another problem to add to all of the problems.

Bullshit.

If you want to "have your say" on IW, get out and say it. It would serve everybody better than you sitting in the Netherlands pissing and moaning about people protesting this awful quango.

As for solutions, you HAVE been given some. You just don't want to hear them, which is equally unhelpful.

The PROBLEM is Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

awec wrote: »
    The fact that people actually think SF are a genuine option is scary. They have a complete joke of an economic policy and it seems that them making a few blustery remarks about water charges to play to the crowd is fooling some people. :(

there is no genuine option. the next cabinet will be an absolute clusterfcuk.

i could see 2 or 3 different governments form & fall over the next few years.

and until the party whip system is abolished, we'll be having these very discussions long after jpmorgan are raping us for uisce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement