Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

You're fed up with this governments cronyism, jobs for the boys and general all round lies but yet you will vote for SF next time round? Interesting.

Jobs for the ex-IRA men? In the Dep of Justice, or Defence. The thought of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

no i'm not. and as you won't be able to post evidence to prove it, you will withdraw the accusation

No I won't. I know you're a member, I see it in your eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

FG and labour have lost the working and coping classes. Good luck with that in the next election guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

donvito99 wrote: »
    Jobs for the ex-IRA men? In the Dep of Justice, or Defence. The thought of that...

I'm far from a SF supporter but to be fair I think most people can see that in the past few years they've been moving on from their past and the new ministers and members coming through had nothing to do with SFs past. Even FG & FF were involved in wars, albeit it was many many years before the troubles in NI but I'm sure plenty of past members of The Dail got up to plenty of unpleasant things during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

and until the party whip system is abolished, we'll be having these very discussions long after jpmorgan are raping us for uisce.

The party whip system is the only thing holding the fragile system together from falling into anarchy. You cant have 166 people voting anyway they like.

Thats why parties work and will continue to do so.
    Woe betide Ireland if it dabbles in the idea that independents will provide any stability or improvement on present setup, imperfections and all. They are fine entertainment on punch and judy TV or radio shows, and add a bit of colour, but are not part of the serous business of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

awec wrote: »
    The fact that people actually think SF are a genuine option is scary. They have a complete joke of an economic policy and it seems that them making a few blustery remarks about water charges to play to the crowd is fooling some people. :(

Not quite.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes "when all other alternatives have been exhausted, whatever remains - no matter how unlikely - must be the solution."

The Shinners will be given their turn, sooner or later, and if they f**k it up, theyll be shown the door just like FG and particularly Labour are about to be.

The electorate are getting quite fond of bloodsport and until somebody steps forward with real social cohesion at the heart of their ideology, we will keep culling.

Beyond that youre into civil conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm far from a SF supporter but to be fair I think most people can see that in the past few years they've been moving on from their past and the new ministers and members coming through had nothing to do with SFs past. Even FG & FF were involved in wars, albeit it was many many years before the troubles in NI but I'm sure plenty of past members of The Dail got up to plenty of unpleasant things during that time.

I agree, have to say I like the likes of Pearse Doherty and others in SF. Just cannot take them seriously w/ Adams as Uachtaráin. Could potentially be the next Tánaiste, athough as others have said here, could well be short lived, might have successive Govs in quick succession like in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Not much of a turnout really. It will all be back to normal next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FG and labour have lost the working and coping classes. Good luck with that in the next election guys.
    right and who are the coping classes going to vote for FF or SF? the only option for the coping class is FG or independent...
    Look at the polls, look at the shocking jobless figures

unemployment is under 11% and will likely be around 9% by the time the election comes around, you think if the government could click their fingers and end all of the problems they wouldnt do so?! Labour got in and stopped any real reform or cuts, so its going to take a lot longer to sort out the issues, I am sure a huge amount of people who are unemployed but are seeking a job voted for them, you cant have your cake and eat it...

Some have an issue with what is it now 300,000,000 in water charges per annum. Id say the 20,000,000,000 odd billion yearly social welfare bill, which is 66 times the new annual water charge really puts things into perspective!
    Before this I was opposed to the water protesters because they were trying to hoist the charges on PAYE workers. Now I'm even more opposed after seeing what was going on in the city centre and reading what has been said here - these protesters don't give a damn about workers, they only care about making sure that they live as comfortable lives as possible off the taxpayers back - they were laughing at us as we tried to make our way home.
    50-100 who have an issue with paying a few of the free few hundred euro a week they get back to the state. Causing havoc in the city centre, do what they would do in Germany, Spain the States etc, a warning, after that knock the **** out of them if needs be. In a back of the van, down to the station, charge them and deduct costs to the state from their welfare...

If these protesters are looking for a sense of purpose, go out and get a job, if they spent a fraction of the effort doing this, that they do protesting, they can be one of the elite earning 32,800 paying 52% at the marginal rate, that will give them something worthwhile to protest against!

More than 400,000 Garth brooks tickets sold, over 10 times the number that turned up today! How many of the 400,000 purchased were from the people who cant afford the miniscule water charges I wonder?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/all-five-garth-brooks-dublin-concerts-cancelled-1.1859348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Not much of a turnout really. It will all be back to normal next month.

LOL.
    DELUDED!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not quite.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes "when all other alternatives have been exhausted, whatever remains - no matter how unlikely - must be the solution."

The Shinners will be given their turn, sooner or later, and if they f**k it up, theyll be shown the door just like FG and particularly Labour are about to be.

The electorate are getting quite fond of bloodsport and until somebody steps forward with real social cohesion at the heart of their ideology, we will keep culling.

Beyond that youre into civil conflict.

define " social cohesion "

although i doubt it can be defined

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Why are they patriots?

I had a day off today so I lay in bed till 11.30 before I sat on my arse in a lovely warm sitting room watching the Boardwalk Empire box set. Am I a patriot?

No you are just pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus Vincent Browne making mincemeat of Sean Kyne at the moment on the question of a plebiscite wording in the proposed legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus Vincent Browne making mincemeat of Sean Kyne at the moment on the question of a plebiscite wording in the proposed legislation.

That ff lad hilarious!

LOL.
    DELUDED!

I was in town, 40K is the number mooted- around 1.1% of the population. That's about the same amount as a good swingers party.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    That ff lad hilarious!

He met with the Troika you know LOL!!

Him and Kyne are the two sides of the same coin. Both are jokers!

Kyne is reciting the list of stats religiously that the PR people have seeded all the Government TD's with.

Jaysus Ruth Coppinger is just as clueless as the FF and FG gimps!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I was in town, 40K is the number mooted- around 1.1% of the population. That's about the same amount as a good swingers party.

It took 100,000 protesters on the streets of Paris to reverse some agricultural bill that was to be introduced. France is a country of 60 million people.

Let's say there was 50,000 today (since all estimates are 30-100,000), out of a population of 4.6 million, and compare that to France. Also how about comparing it to the US? If that percentage of the US' population took to the streets, it would be in the MILLIONS. Now also think of all the people today who are against the charges but couldnt physically attend, like me (thousands more I assure you).

Now trying look at things in perspective. And think about the actual representation of human beings on the streets before you go around making petty belittling comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Just back from the protest, the morons blocking the road cause my 5.15 galway bus to arrive at 8pm. The gaurds handled the situation well considering the distrubances, i really despise the idiots who hijack the protest to act like idiots and give the protest as a whole, a bad name. Go find your own protest! Stop ruining ours!

EDIT: Ohh....Im on the journal with my plack card haha class.

Somebody was telling me today that you can now be fined for having an open container out your back garden collecting water. Thought it was a joke until somebody else said it. I looked it up on the internet but didnt hear anything. Is this true ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Also how about comparing it to the US? If that percentage of the US' population took to the streets, it would be in the MILLIONS.

Yeh exactly. Or to Liechtenstein. If that percentage of Liechtensten's population took to the streets, it would be nearly 70 people.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    It took 100,000 protesters on the streets of Paris to reverse some agricultural bill that was to be introduced. France is a country of 60 million people.

Let's say there was 50,000 today (since all estimates are 30-100,000), out of a population of 4.6 million, and compare that to France. Also how about comparing it to the US? If that percentage of the US' population took to the streets, it would be in the MILLIONS. Now also think of all the people today who are against the charges but couldnt physically attend, like me (thousands more I assure you).

Now trying look at things in perspective. And think about the actual representation of human beings on the streets before you go around making petty belittling comments.
    Don't kid yourself. 40K is paltry for a supposed march that was suppose to take down the government. I seen bigger crowds at football matches.

Spin on both sides but today summed it up for me that this protest is dying on it's arse and the momentum is gone.

Don't kid yourself. 40K is paltry for a supposed march that was suppose to take down the government. I seen bigger crowds at football matches.

Spin on both sides but today summed it up for me that this protest is dying on it's arse and the momentum is gone.

That 30k is completely wrong, in one street was estimated 30K, and multiple streets were packed all way from Merrion street to o connell was blocked up with people and each corner from the dail was packed also. The number without a doubt from being all over the city was def above 150K. No question about it and everyone up there i met, agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    No you are just pathetic
    Why?

Jaysus between Dooley, Coppinger and Kyne we have Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. I'm not sure which label suits each character the most yet!

Also that's the quietest I have ever seen Brendan Ogle. He must be tired after his walk today.

The scary thing for the IW cheerleaders is if you can get out tens of thousands of protesters despite the leaders of the whole movement (who are gimps) then you do truly have a major movement on your hands.

I will march at the end of Jan, not because of the so-called leaders who have velcroed themselves onto the movement but because I sincerely believe something has now got to change in Irish Politics and the parties in power haven't understood that yet. If they do get it and do make dramatic change then they may still have my vote at the next election.

awec wrote: »
    The fact that people actually think SF are a genuine option is scary. They have a complete joke of an economic policy and it seems that them making a few blustery remarks about water charges to play to the crowd is fooling some people. :(

This could be true but we have no other choice now. They haven't had a chance and now is the time. They cannot do much worse than what we have got to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus between Dooley, Coppinger and Kyne we have Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. I'm not sure which label suits each character the most yet!

Also that's the quietest I have ever seen Brendan Ogle. He must be tired after his walk today.

The scary thing for the IW cheerleaders is if you can get out tens of thousands of protesters despite the leaders of the whole movement (who are gimps) then you do truly have a major movement on your hands.

I will march at the end of Jan, not because of the so-called leaders who have velcroed themselves onto the movement but because I sincerely believe something has now got to change in Irish Politics and the parties in power haven't understood that yet. If they do get it and do make dramatic change then they may still have my vote at the next election.

So is it, or is it not, about the water charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Regardless of what anyone thinks of IW or the protesting, this behaviour by the gardai is a disgrace! it's a wonder this didn't appear on RTE News. But we all know why it didn't!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=745807175498517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    So is it, or is it not, about the water charges?
    Ruth Coppinger essentially said it was all about building grass roots at local level to build momentum for the next election. Essentially, water is an issue they can keep stoking the fire over and sell to people to protest over in the hopes they'll vote for them in 18 mths time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My iPhone is being repaired atm but could someone download that CrowdSize app and ask it for an estimate for all four sides of Merrion Square, all of Nassau Street and College Green, and whatever proportion of Kildare Street was left unblocked? The photo on the Irish Times website clearly shows that only one side of Merrion Square was included in the 32,000 calculation, I was there from 1:30 to about 3:30 and at various times, particularly earlier in the day, the entire square was surrounded, not just one or two sides.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement