Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Wurly wrote: »
    Well round of applause for your insinuations.

Care to comment on this??

http://i.imgur.com/5jM8TLF.png

On that link it advises you to enquire with IW on the best ways of collecting rain water. It at no point says they own it.

The DDC site also says you need planning for tanks as… If one was to burst it could contaminate the local supply.

As someone who works in horticulture, I can tell you it takes days for a water tank to get algae etc, and if you plan to use it for drinking water you need to make sure it is safe.

Again no mention of IW "owning" the rain water that goes into it..

70% of the attachments for a bog standard garden hose have non return valves on them.

This is to stop crap being sucked back up the hose and into your system and stops little johnny brushing his teeth with a mixture of tap water and John Innes No3 compost or other crap from your garden/farm!!

You should read whats in the links before you post them..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Regardless of what anyone thinks of IW or the protesting, this behaviour by the gardai is a disgrace! it's a wonder this didn't appear on RTE News. But we all know why it didn't!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=745807175498517

Looks to me like the guy kept walking into the Garda and then when he pushed him back he jumped back on the floor.

I don't see how a man that size could get thrown back 3 or 4 feet unless the garda was robocop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

mojesius wrote: »
    Just home after being out all day at the protest then bringing my mam to Peter Gabriel. What a day!

I marched from garden of remembrance and joined up with the army group at the GPO. The march was similar to the last two big ones, until the crowd got to Kildare Street to see the entire street blocked off with loads of gardai. This antagonised a lot of people including myself as there was really no need for such heavy policing, but most kept on marching to the Merrion Square entrance. I joined a group from Athy and there were 3 or 4 young girls roaring their heads off - Got the surrounding crowd going including myself! :)

When we got to Merrion Square, people started climbing the barriers to attach their signs to the Dail gates. There was one garda ripping off a few signs and the whole crowd starting booing him so he eventually went away.

Great speeches, music, turnout and atmosphere. Huge effort put into some of the signs!

However, I couldn't understand why the city was still shut down for public transport after 7pm. The protest was more-or-less finished by 5pm and there were no luas or buses running at all, even on the northside as far up as the IFSC, until close to 8pm. No reason for it at that stage in that part of town other than to piss commuters off and cause a divide, in my opinion. It's just bad city management.

I didn't mind the walk to Peter Gabriel anyway! :)

The gardai would have been happy with a riot yesterday would have caused more rifts in the anti water side. Didn't happen peaceful protest won out the day :) 31st January we go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Regardless of what anyone thinks of IW or the protesting, this behaviour by the gardai is a disgrace! it's a wonder this didn't appear on RTE News. But we all know why it didn't!

Disgraceful.:mad:

dubscottie wrote: »
    On that link it advises you to enquire with IW on the best ways of collecting rain water. It at no point says they own it.

The DDC site also says you need planning for tanks as… If one was to burst it could contaminate the local supply.

As someone who works in horticulture, I can tell you it takes days for a water tank to get algae etc, and if you plan to use it for drinking water you need to make sure it is safe.

Again no mention of IW "owning" the rain water that goes into it..

70% of the attachments for a bog standard garden hose have non return valves on them.

This is to stop crap being sucked back up the hose and into your system and stops little johnny brushing his teeth with a mixture of tap water and John Innes No3 compost or other crap from your garden/farm!!

You should read whats in the links before you post them..:rolleyes:

Indeed and in many cases in Ireland there is no Check Valve, the system for stopping it is the Air Gap in the water tank in the attic.

Many people I would say install a mixer tap without any check valve.

Or people just connect up their rainwater system in the wrong way.

Sure they can take the risk that they make a balls of it, but there is also a risk that you can have backflow out through the mains (no check valve) if there is a pressure drop (burst pipe/fire brigade)

Also,

Mr Boyd Barrett went mental in the Dail saying Irish Water T&Cs advised you had to contact them if you wanted to connect up to a sewer.

I was watching it while cringing.

Guy doesn't know the difference between a Drain (Yours or shared with your neighbours) and a Sewer.

He was saying "THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR RAINWATER"

When actually it was just normal that you cannot connect yourself up to a sewer without checking with the water board, so if it rains you don't have poo rolling around on the streets.

Most Co Co have it in their bye laws anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Looks to me like the guy kept walking into the Garda and then when he pushed him back he jumped back on the floor.

I don't see how a man that size could get thrown back 3 or 4 feet unless the garda was robocop.

The first time maybe possibly a bit strong of a push the second time he went down he would make a good soccer player with that dive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Agreed thoroughly disgraceful. Gob****es trying to grind the city to a halt and disobeying garda orders. A complete disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What happened for those of us not on FB?

Gob****es wouldn't move when instructed by gardai, guard pushes and guy goes down like a wet blanket, others follow and then the usual claims of police brutality start.:rolleyes:

The gardai would have been happy with a riot yesterday would have caused more rifts in the anti water side. Didn't happen peaceful protest won out the day :) 31st January we go again.

If the guards wanted a riot yesterday they could have easily gotten one by using force to remove the idiots from O'Connell bridge, They chose instead to let these morons shoot the whole anti-water movement in the foot by delaying citizens (the ones who they are supposed to be fighting for) for hours on end. \When Joe & Jane taxpayer finally got home last night after 2 or 3 hours stuck in traffic because of these morons they won't say "Oh those Eirgre fools caused me to be late" they will lump everyone in and think "Feckin anti water protesters caused me to be stuck in traffic"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

mojesius wrote: »
    Just home after being out all day at the protest then bringing my mam to Peter Gabriel. What a day!

I marched from garden of remembrance and joined up with the army group at the GPO. The march was similar to the last two big ones, until the crowd got to Kildare Street to see the entire street blocked off with loads of gardai. This antagonised a lot of people including myself as there was really no need for such heavy policing, but most kept on marching to the Merrion Square entrance. I joined a group from Athy and there were 3 or 4 young girls roaring their heads off - Got the surrounding crowd going including myself! :)

When we got to Merrion Square, people started climbing the barriers to attach their signs to the Dail gates. There was one garda ripping off a few signs and the whole crowd starting booing him so he eventually went away.

Great speeches, music, turnout and atmosphere. Huge effort put into some of the signs!

However, I couldn't understand why the city was still shut down for public transport after 7pm. The protest was more-or-less finished by 5pm and there were no luas or buses running at all, even on the northside as far up as the IFSC, until close to 8pm. No reason for it at that stage in that part of town other than to piss commuters off and cause a divide, in my opinion. It's just bad city management.

I didn't mind the walk to Peter Gabriel anyway! :)

how much were the tickets for peter gabriel

i presume they were less than the cost of the water charge ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

You know for all the patriots out yesterday you sure don't love your country enough to put your rubbish in a bin.

Place left upside down.

Just can't understand littering, but in fairness its a problem right across this country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What happened for those of us not on FB?

Something similar to this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, he clearly threw himself backwards on to the ground. Twice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In fairness O'Conell streey always looks like **** :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

This is what happens when the state hires thugs to act as a police force.
    I hope someone got that coppers badge number and makes a complaint.
    Seems to be the coppers MO now, fire people to the ground at every opportunity.
    One day, one of these protesters will smack his head off the ground and not recover from it.
    The usual crowd of pro water taxers will condone it when someone dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Fine Gael and Labour still in power. Hmm, and I was so convinced by your assurances that 'it's all over' and 'the government will fall'. Very disappointed. :(

One day, one of these protesters will smack his head off the ground and not recover from it.

What has the post you quoted got to do with the rant?

The usual state sponsored thugs blah blah blah i see, Know the best way not to get pushed out of the way by a guard? Move the **** along when told to. Pretty simple imo.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Fine Gael and Labour still in power. Hmm, and I was so convinced by your assurances that 'it's all over' and 'the government will fall'. Very disappointed. :(

I think they are waiting until about 11ish so it will make the news headlines. c

***BATED BREATH***

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Falthyron wrote: »
    I think they are waiting until about 11ish so it will make the news headlines. c

***BATED BREATH***

Edinburgh , Kilkenny and other dates we should keep an eye out for ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I can understand your anger at the Garda, but if they were not there to stop protesters going into certain places, what do you think would happen?

The whole protest would have ended very badly in my opinion.

A few pushes and scuffles is hardly disgraceful. They have to show a little force. And lets be honest. It was fairly tame.

• Advertisement

What has the post you quoted got to do with the rant?

The usual state sponsored thugs blah blah blah i see, Know the best way not to get pushed out of the way by a guard? Move the **** along when told to. Pretty simple imo.

Yea, that may be acceptable where you come from.
    We do things differently in Ireland.

That guy had 13 million gallons of rain water.

His permit was withdrawn and he continued to do it anyway.

An order was issued and he didn't comply

So he went to Jail for 30 days for not complying with the order.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/oregon-man-in-possession-of-13-million-gallons-of-illicit-rainwater

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

An example of a really well thought out contribution to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

We do things differently in Ireland.

If a Guard tells you to move, the majority of Irish people will move.

Do these "protesters" think they're immune to the Guards using physical force to move them?

They're doing more harm to your cause than anything.

Daith wrote: »
    If a Guard tells you to move, the majority of Irish people will move.

Do these "protesters" think they're immune to the Guards using physical force to move them?

They're doing more harm to your cause than anything.

Yea maybe.
    Seems I linked the wrong article to my post above too.
    Don't know what happened there....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Originally Posted by

I suppose some people like to be victims all their lives.

There were 10,000 / 25,000 / 50,000 / 100,000 (pick the number that suits you best) victims marching yesterday. Blaming the Government, bankers, "the rich", the system, quangos etc. etc. for all their woes instead of taking some personal responsibility for their situation. Easy to point the finger and play the blame game, much more difficult to (wo)man up and tackle your own problems.

Hopefully these daft little marches are over now and the one trick ponies like Clare Daly and Paul Murphy get found out for the sad little moaners they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm sure you'll love this, but I can easily afford the water charges. I'm choosing not to though, because it's so easy to not pay it. They're not going to cut me off, the trickle threat is reversible, and I'll await them sending me to jail. Which isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Are those the gob****es who were blocking traffic on O'Connell bridge for hours on end? If so, proper order by the Gardai. If they were just regular joe protesters then that was heavy handed

We do things differently in Ireland

Well the fact i have lived in Dublin for over 30 years may come as a surprise to you but you're right things are done differently here in Ireland, Any other countries police force wouldn't have used kid gloves on those idiots and would have just hammered them out of the way. Nothing like a snarling German shepherd and a face full of tear gas to bring muppets like Eirgre to heel.

• Advertisement

Well the fact i have lived in Dublin for over 30 years may come as a surprise to you but you're right things are done differently here in Ireland, Any other countries police force wouldn't have used kid gloves on those idiots and would have just hammered them out of the way. Nothing like a snarling German shepherd and a face full of tear gas to bring muppets like Eirgre to heel.

That's why, in your own country, you seen massive riots against the poll tax etc etc.
    As I said, we're a bit more civilised in Ireland, it's one of the reasons we don't need an armed police force.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement