Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Idbatterim wrote: »
    On point 3 given what has happened, I would put the chances of future privitisation at near non existant.

!

You should really check out the debate/conversation between Vincent Brown and Sean Kyne last night on the proposed legislation and its wording . And see if you can still honestly say/ think the chances of future privatisation is still such a remote possibility.

There were 10,000 / 25,000 / 50,000 / 100,000 (pick the number that suits you best) victims marching yesterday. Blaming the Government, bankers, "the rich", the system, quangos etc. etc. for all their woes instead of taking some personal responsibility for their situation. Easy to point the finger and play the blame game, much more difficult to (wo)man up and tackle your own problems.

Hopefully these daft little marches are over now and the one trick ponies like Clare Daly and Paul Murphy get found out for the sad little moaners they are.

Now where have I heard this before ??????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's why, in your own country, you seen massive riots against the poll tax etc etc.

So any country where citizens riot are not civilized?

As I said, we're a bit more civilised in Ireland, it's one of the reasons we don't need an armed police force.

The UK doesn't have an armed police force either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

100k patriots turned up yesterday and congrats to one and all. You make our nation proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    You should really check out the debate/conversation between Vincent Brown and Sean Kyne last night on the proposed legislation and its wording . And see if you can still honestly say/ think the chances of future privatisation is still such a remote possibility.

Now where have I heard this before ??????:D

Jaysus coppinger is some alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

There were 10,000 / 25,000 / 50,000 / 100,000 (pick the number that suits you best) victims marching yesterday. Blaming the Government, bankers, "the rich", the system, quangos etc. etc. for all their woes instead of taking some personal responsibility for their situation. Easy to point the finger and play the blame game, much more difficult to (wo)man up and tackle your own problems.

Hopefully these daft little marches are over now and the one trick ponies like Clare Daly and Paul Murphy get found out for the sad little moaners they are.

Here here

• Advertisement

yipeeeee wrote: »

What's that got to do with the conversation I was talking about ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

100k patriots turned up yesterday and congrats to one and all. You make our nation proud.

7.5/10

Really looking forward to 31st January now as are those here in work who couldn't or where unable to attend yesterday. This thing is getting bigger and bigger and it's wonderful to see what can be achieved when good decent honest hardworking people put their minds to it. Onward and upward.

I'd say we are now looking at 200k plus next time around given it will be a Saturday.

Hilarious some people think people marched yesterday because they are so patriotic of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

That's what tends to happen at large gatherings of a hundred thousand people. Ever been to a concert or a festival? obviously you have never been to a large event. Idiotic post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm sure you'll love this, but I can easily afford the water charges. I'm choosing not to though, because it's so easy to not pay it. They're not going to cut me off, the trickle threat is reversible, and I'll await them sending me to jail. Which isn't going to happen.

They even removed that threat some time ago. In fact, the way things are going, I'm half expecting Irish Water to start paying me to use their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Really looking forward to 31st January now as are those here in work who couldn't or where unable to attend yesterday. This thing is getting bigger and bigger and it's wonderful to see what can be achieved when good decent honest hardworking people put their minds to it. Onward and upward.

I'd say we are now looking at 200k plus next time around given it will be a Saturday.

You actually went from 100k to 50k yesterday. So expect 25k in January then. Blocking roads yesterday got even more of the public against you. Well done.

My post above was aimed at yippee and others who were giving out about litter.

falan wrote: »
    My post above was aimed at yippee and others who were giving out about litter.

Doesn't excuse it and I said its a problem across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hilarious some people think people marched yesterday because they are so patriotic of the country.

They care about the country & it's people,not about the gangsters that are running it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No one mentioned her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

The UK doesn't have an armed police force either :confused:

every singe police force in the uk have MULTIPLE firearms units that get deployed in the drop of a hat... going back as far as i can remember. (my earliest memory of the FAU is 96 in trafalgar square).

they are very much an armed police force, they just use the unarmed bobby as a PR front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

You can blame the handful of Eirigi clowns that decided to block O'Connell Bridge for that one. See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93391940&postcount=6215

I liked how the reasoning behind it was "they were playing music up at merrion square, we wanted to make our voices heard", yet when i walked past them on O'Connell st a 5:30, all i heard was some gob****e blaring didledy dee trad music and idiots shouting OLE OLE. Way to make your voices heard, morons

Amazing the lengths DOB media is going to this morning to downplay yesterdays historic protest. It's killing dinnytalk that there was no violence yesterday they desperately wanted to spend today talking about that in the hope it would cause a split in the peaceful movement against the water scam. Sorry Denis that's a fail.

You actually went from 100k to 50k yesterday. So expect 25k in January then. Blocking roads yesterday got even more of the public against you. Well done.

Yesterdays was well above the 100k mark. This thing is growing and growing and it's killing the status quo media and establishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

There are 350,000 people on Social Welfare. That is 350,000 people who have the time to protest and who can not afford the Water charges, and are generally angry at the government for lack of employment opportunities. Why is it that the protest can only muster up 30,000-40,000? If your ballpark and laughable figure of 100,000 is accepted, where are the other 250,000 people? Is it possible they actually agree/understand with what is necessary?

Would love a response to that question.

Did anybody hear the email read out on TodayFM earlier,some woman complaining that it pisses her off the people were protesting about water charges instead of care homes (which are being investigated,but she forgot that)Her argument became pretty invalid when she said she was financially comfortable and water charges wouldn't affect her unlike many many more who simply can't stretch to paying another bill.

So now the pro siders are admitting that there was 100k at the first protest ,That's nice to see only took a few weeks /months to sink in
    or
    Maybe I'm naïve and its a case of clever and selective use of figures to suit one's opinions/ views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

bigroad wrote: »
    I think the main point here is that a lot of people from all corners of the country protested today ,i would say it cost a lot of them a fair few quid to be there.

Exactly - I thought they couldn't make ends meet?

Just goes to show how many people make this guff up.

Exactly..Loads of people around the country wanted to go yesterday but they couldn't. Kids in School, people in work etc. Fair play to everyone who made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I seem to recall hearing that after the last one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Falthyron wrote: »
    There are 350,000 people on Social Welfare. That is 350,000 people who have the time to protest and who can not afford the Water charges, and are generally angry at the government for lack of employment opportunities. Why is it that the protest can only muster up 30,000-40,000? If your ballpark and laughable figure of 100,000 is accepted, where are the other 250,000 people? Is it possible they actually agree/understand with what is necessary?

Would love a response to that question.

thats a pretty remedial level of protest understanding that you're displaying.

as a small example, if 5 people are angry about something the chances are that 1 will speak out about it.
    protest works the same way. for everyone of us that went out yesterday, there's many more that had to work, mind kids, or are generally terrified of the government and lack of regard they have for the safety and well being of the people they work for.

zerks wrote: »
    Did anybody hear the email read out on TodayFM earlier,some woman complaining that it pisses her off the people were protesting about water charges instead of care homes (which are being investigated,but she forgot that)Her argument became pretty invalid when she said she was financially comfortable and water charges wouldn't affect her unlike many many more who simply can't stretch to paying another bill.

Most (not all) of the pro water side are in well paid jobs or pensions with little or no financial worries. It's classic divide and conquer tactics being used by the government in conjunction with state and DOB media. Clearly it's not working as seen by yesterdays wonderful turnout.

falan wrote: »
    Exactly..Loads of people around the country wanted to go yesterday but they couldn't. Kids in School, people in work etc. Fair play to everyone who made it.

A lot of 3rd level students had exams and couldn't attend,they'll be on the streets in January.

Fair play to the girl who was on The Last Word,only out of school and protesting as she worried about her future.
    Nobody except the myopic few here believes the puppy dog sales tactics of the government who are promising "pay a little now",we all know what's down the line with price hikes and despite what they say it will be privatised.A government who drew up plans to sell our forestry's would have no qualms selling of our water provision service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

So now the dust has settled,
    30,000- 50,000 protesters showed up, less than half the size of the last one.
    To put that into perspective, the protest march that was going to change this country according to some had about the same attendance as the Ireland vs USA friendly match in the Aviva last month. Despite the outlandish predictions by the anti water side of the Government being overthrown,
    enda fleeing in terror and a whole country coming to a standstill there seems to be little evidence of any of this happening.

In fact it seems the opposite, the momentum appears to be waining, there seems to be a sense that the tide is turning against the protests.
    Assisted in no small way by the local republican hoods using the anti water protests to piss off half the residents of Dublin City by blocking the main thoroughfare at rush hour. The minister has confidently come out and said they will be no more concessions to the protesters, the package is now final.
    The number registering with IW are growing day by day, come the deadline in Feb there should be a + 70% compliance rate.
    I’d say the backbenchers are breathing a sigh of relief this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement