Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ah yes but this is the one that's going to matter!

Like the last one and the one before and so on and so on... :pac:

Hmmm conveniently forgetting we scared the bejaysus out of them the last time and got all the concessions funny that.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Half million expected at the next one, Facebook says that's what they are expecting so it must be true!

Only half a million? Selling themselves short, aren't they? I would expect no less than one million considering they had over 100,000 at the protest yesterday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

the naivete

Naive compared to those who hand over money time after time to this government without question?

Joan Burton on RTE saying it will cost €1 BILLION a year for the next 10 years for IW. They claim that charges are capped for now but the €10 billion will have to be found somewhere. And you say my post about protestors caring about the country & not the likes of Burton/Enda etc. is naive,anyone who thinks allowing this quango to carry on is naive in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,542 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

shinzon wrote: »
    Then you should phrase yourself better in future in all honesty

Now i am aware of the level of intelligence of some posters i will ensure that i explain things in a more simplistic manner rather than naively thinking that they would have the common sense to know i meant reasonable force.
    And as regards yesterday all I can say is people must have poor planning skills, for a month or more it was known this was happening and in all likelihood a splinter group of idiots would try something like this so alternative routes should have been planned rather then coming on here and bitching and moaning about it on the day seems all rather disingenuous to me tbh

Shin

Really?

So you knew this was going to happen did you?

Tell me

How do you plan for something that may or may not happen somewhere at sometime in Dublin? Without prior knowledge of these events how do you make alternative plans?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

If everyone of the 100,000 as the protest yesterday had given me a quid I'd have 35,000 quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's this attitude that has the Irish people fücked again and again... :(

what they fail to see is that the blocking of kildare street positively shows that the government are worried.

a month ago 100,000 peopla marched past government buildings without any violence occurring.

yesterday, the cops were making ready for a seige.

one cop got hit with a missile apple and an empty plastic bottle hit the side of a building (i was there, i saw the fuking idiot throw it) and deployed the riot squad.

what changed in the few weeks since the peaceful protest that marched past the very building they were protecting yesterday?

IMO they realised that they are now in a minority of people that believe they can run this country properly even more day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hmmm conveniently forgetting we scared the bejaysus out of them the last time and got all the concessions funny that.

Shin

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that people keep claiming the next one will be 'the big one'.

To be clear I'm not on the 'side' of Irish Water. I'm just bothered by the fact it's being turned into a giant 'us vs them' thing, where the goal seems to be getting the current government and Irish Water out of the picture without any consideration for any alternatives.

That and the 'right to water' angle the protestors are taking winds me right up.

If everyone of the 100,000 as the protest yesterday had given me a quid I'd have 35,000 quid

Post of the Day. :pac: #ProtestMaths

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's this attitude that has the Irish people fücked again and again... :(

Doctor Jimbob & co are the type of people who don't get the idea of a protest.They think it's a bit of a novelty and everyone should then forget about it.The type of person the government loves,have a bit of a moan then pay up,don't upset the establishment.
    A lot of people used to do that & now are sick of what's going on in this quango infested country.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that people keep claiming the next one will be 'the big one'.

tactics. both sides use them. both sides look silly... like england before every world cup.

that shouldnt detract from the enormity of what is possible down the pipeline if IW is allowed to proceed as intended.

• Advertisement

Now i am aware of the level of intelligence of some posters i will ensure that i explain things in a more simplistic manner rather than naively thinking that they would have the common sense to know i meant reasonable force.

Really?

So you knew this was going to happen did you?

Tell me

How do you plan for something that may or may not happen somewhere at sometime in Dublin? Without prior knowledge of these events how do you make alternative plans?

Ah the sly dig the last resort of a person who has nothing useful to say, glad your proving my point

And ever hear of forward planning stop hiding behind ignorance tbh, happened the last time so odds were it was happening this time

Law of averages and all that and also considering there was actually a march on yes I would have planned other routes anyway irregardless of the stupidity on the bridge just common sense as would any "REASONABLE" person

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

zerks wrote: »
    Doctor Jimbob & co are the type of people who don't get the idea of a protest.They think it's a bit of a novelty and everyone should then forget about it.The type of person the government loves,have a bit of a moan then pay up,don't upset the establishment.
    A lot of people used to do that & now are sick of what's going on in this quango infested country.

Sure, generalise all those who disagree with you. That's constructive. I don't like this government. I don't like Irish Water. I also don't like a lot of things about the angle the protestors are taking on all this. If they were willing to take on a more rational outlook I'd be out on the streets like a shot for the next protest.

what they fail to see is that the blocking of kildare street positively shows that the government are worried.

a month ago 100,000 peopla marched past government buildings without any violence occurring.

yesterday, the cops were making ready for a seige.

one cop got hit with a missile apple and an empty plastic bottle hit the side of a building (i was there, i saw the fuking idiot throw it) and deployed the riot squad.

what changed in the few weeks since the peaceful protest that marched past the very building they were protecting yesterday?

IMO they realised that they are now in a minority of people that believe they can run this country properly even more day.

Care to show where the "riot squad" were deployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Falthyron wrote: »
    Firstly, that ratio is based on the assumption that it was 2,000 out of a total 100,000 who turned out, but that figure is way off the mark. The best estimates (from a range of sources) seems to be 30,000-40,000.

Secondly, your ratio would have to be 2,000 of 350,000 as that is the total unemployed. So that would be 0.51% of the Social Welfare group turning out to represent that group.

I see what you are trying to say, and I do appreciate it, but the numbers trouble me. I am currently unemployed, and if I felt harshly done by this government I would have gone out to protest. I reckon I am in the minority in terms of who or what to blame for my unemployment, but I imagine a lot of those who are unemployed suffered because of cut-backs and companies closing down as a result of policies made by the government. 350,000 potential protesters from just one group, and only 30,000-40,000 from ALL groups turned out. That has to be an indicator as to what public sentiment actually is.

Ok lets make it 1000 out of 350,000 that's a 1 to 350 ratio Still better than the 1 to 27,000 that your Dail represent and that's everyone voters and non voters because they're actions and choice effect us all ..

however since you like figures and what they might employ.

If we take the figure of 600,000 packs still not returned as also representing a anti water payment protest ,
    So we take /allow for late sign ups , laziness etc And we go with 2/3 's of these as anti protest (which imo is a very fair amount) so that's 400,000 and to keep things simple we assign one adult to each house that's 400,000 voters ,now if we break it down further and use the 70% turnout from the last General Election that leaves us 280,000 and if you apply that to the 70% turnout seen at the last election which is 2,243176 votes you get 12.4% approx , which COULD/highly likely be enough to change the Irish political landscape.
    Now if you were to use a more realistic figure of 2 adults per these 400,000 houses and use the 70% of these figures you will end up with a massive 24.9 % which WOULD DEFINITELY be enough to change the political landscape.

Ah the sly dig the last resort of a person who has nothing useful to say, glad your proving my point

And ever hear of forward planning stop hiding behind ignorance tbh, happened the last time so odds were it was happening this time

Law of averages and all that and also considering there was actually a march on yes I would have planned other routes anyway irregardless of the stupidity on the bridge just common sense as would any "REASONABLE" person

Shin

i have to agree. even protesters had to organise a way to get home because of a few idiots.

for instance we walked up to thomas street and got a bus home within minutes at 5:15.

simple planning exercise to be honest.

i do feel sorry for that taxi driver stuck on o'connell bridge amongst the empty busses. the lads blocking the bridge should have let the chap out. he was working and holding him there was just badness on their part.

Shin

Well i guess you are just "smarter" than the couple hundred thousand who got caught up by the actions of these gob****es, Hopefully next time everyone will be better prepared, Hopefully the K9 units have been fed that day.

Care to show where the "riot squad" were deployed?

on kildare street.

rte, breaking news, the journal etc. all have it reported with picture and a small video too,

also anyone that was there (like myself) saw it happen. dogs first, then the horses were put in postition and then riot cops moved into position.

thats why we moved on from where we were, we were there to protest peacefully... no interest in getting clubbed in the head.

on kildare street.

rte, breaking news, the journal etc. all have it reported with picture and a small video too,

also anyone that was there (like myself) saw it happen. dogs first, then the horses were put in postition and then riot cops moved into position.

thats why we moved on from where we were, we were there to protest peacefully... no interest in getting clubbed in the head.

You mean these lads standing around looking bored?

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article4785500.ece/alternates/s1227b/waterprotests5.png

Hardly "deployed", ffs they don't even have helmets on :rolleyes:

You mean these lads standing around looking bored?

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article4785500.ece/alternates/s1227b/waterprotests5.png

Hardly "deployed", ffs they don't even have helmets on :rolleyes:

nope not those lads. but do keep trying.

nope not those lads. but do keep trying.

Care to show a picture of the "Riot squad being deployed" then?

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Ok lets make it 1000 out of 350,000 that's a 1 to 350 ratio Still better than the 1 to 27,000 that your Dail represent and that's everyone voters and non voters because they're actions and choice effect us all ..

The 1 to 27,000 though applies to ALL groups, where as the 1 to 350, only applies to the Social Welfare group. This comparison doesn't really work.
    however since you like figures and what they might employ.

If we take the figure of 600,000 packs still not returned as also representing a anti water payment protest ,
    So we take allow for late sign ups , laziness etc And we go with 2/3 's of these as anti protest (which imo is a very fair amount) so that's 400,000 and to keep things simple we assign one adult to each house that's 400,000 voters ,now if we break it down further and use the 70% turnout from the last General Election that leaves us 280,000 and if you apply that to the 70% turnout seen at the last election which is 2,243176 votes you get 12.4% approx , which COULD/highly likely be enough to change the Irish political landscape.
    Now if you were to use a more realistic figure of 2 adults per these 400,000 houses and use the 70% of these figures you will end up with a massive 24.9 % which WOULD DEFINITELY be enough to change the political landscape.

I see what you are doing, but there are a lot of assumptions being made to substantiate your figures. I don't think you can apply the 70% of the General Election to the 400,000 unused water packs. 70% applies to the entire population of Ireland, where as the 400,000 is not the entire population of water packs, if you see what I mean? I see where you are going with trying to draw a correlation between unused packs and voting preference, but the assumptions undermine the strength of the argument. Also, as I mentioned before, not wanting to sign up for Irish Water is not a truly accurate indication of people's voting decisions. I think people on the streets is more representative as these are people who WILL vote in the next election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

zerks wrote: »
    Did anybody hear the email read out on TodayFM earlier,some woman complaining that it pisses her off the people were protesting about water charges instead of care homes (which are being investigated,but she forgot that)Her argument became pretty invalid when she said she was financially comfortable and water charges wouldn't affect her unlike many many more who simply can't stretch to paying another bill.

the vast vast majority of people can afford three euro per week , it means not buying a bag of chips and a can of coke each week

Care to show a picture of the "Riot squad being deployed" then?

ill go one better, ill show you a video.

https://vine.co/v/OrLnH62IWgn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So Riot Police walking nowhere near protesters instead of standing nowhere near protesters?

At least 10,000 in that photo. So many gardai in riot gear, overwhelming, patriots the lot of them.

To be honest, this was probably a day of training for them, to prepare for the Love Ulster march next year. :pac:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    So Riot Police walking nowhere near protesters instead of standing nowhere near protesters?

kildare street is where the protesters were. the cops were walking towards them.

and you do know what deployed (the exact word i used) means dont you? keep in mind i never once said 'engaged' or hinted at it.

Deployed

1. move (troops) into position for military action.
    "forces were deployed at strategic locations"

2. bring into effective action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Did they engage with the the protestors in any way whatsoever or were they on standby in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

the vast vast majority of people can afford three euro per week , it means not buying a bag of chips and a can of coke each week

I see you've been taken in by the €3 per week. That's the low price to get people to sign up. Once it's in private hands, the sky is the limit.

kildare street is where the protesters were. the cops were walking towards them.

and you do know what deployed (the exact word i used) means dont you?

Deployed

1. move (troops) into position for military action.
    "forces were deployed at strategic locations"

2. bring into effective action.

Jaysus the way you're going on you would swear they were approaching the crowd, batons drawn, beating a tempo on riot shields with rubber bullets and tear gas guns at the ready :rolleyes:

They were in the vicinity just in case

To quote shin

• Advertisement

Well i guess you are just "smarter" than the couple hundred thousand who got caught up by the actions of these gob****es, Hopefully next time everyone will be better prepared, Hopefully the K9 units have been fed that day.

Nope not smarter just knowing the thing was on was enough, you don't need to plan for idiots on the bridge there was a march on why would you be anywhere near there if you weren't going to march get off work go the opposite direction or just go round.

Completely avoidable tbh, its just convenient to say it wasn't

Shin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement