Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Did they engage with the the protestors in any way whatsoever or were they on standby in the background?

no engagement that i saw and i didnt see any reported. just the deployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I don't know if this has been posted yet.

Jaysus the way you're going on you would swear they were approaching the crowd, batons drawn, beating a tempo on riot shields with rubber bullets and tear gas guns at the ready :rolleyes:

either quote me saying that (or implying it) or retract your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kildare street is where the protesters were. the cops were walking towards them.

and you do know what deployed (the exact word i used) means dont you? keep in mind i never once said 'engaged' or hinted at it.

Deployed

1. move (troops) into position for military action.
    "forces were deployed at strategic locations"

2. bring into effective action.

So what "effective action" or "military action" was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

srumball wrote: »

Fúckin ell that's bad. Any word on the condition of the person who was reportedly rushed to hospital, usually that phrase implies serious?

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »

the forces were moved into position.. as the video shows.

is that not clear?

ive given you an independent video from someone behind police lines, showing riot squad being 'deployed' into position.

the national broadcaster reported the event.

what more do you need to prove riot squad were deployed on kidare street?

i mean they were deployed. as the first example in the defitinition clearly shows.

just because you decided to only focus on the 2nd definition, does not mean that riot cops were not deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

shinzon wrote: »
    Nope not smarter just knowing the thing was on was enough, you don't need to plan for idiots on the bridge there was a march on why would you be anywhere near there if you weren't going to march get off work go the opposite direction or just go round.

Completely avoidable tbh, its just convenient to say it wasn't

Shin

Maybe some couldn't get off work?

Why go the opposit direction if they are blocking your way home and the streets surrounding are all blocked with traffic?

How does a person "go around" if their mode of transport (bus/luas) goes via the city center?

As i said already hopefully the guards are better prepared for them next time, a nice heavy police presence with all resources at their disposal should soon deter any of the gob****es from yesterday repeating their stunts.

no engagement that i saw and i didnt see any reported. just the deployment.

So being in the area watching is now considered "Deployed" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It appears that a group of "protesters" were attacking that car who got scared and freaked out a bit. That what I see in the video.

either quote me saying that (or implying it) or retract your statement.

No thanks

• Advertisement

So being in the area watching is now considered "Deployed" :rolleyes:

the dictionary defines it.

if you want to argue using your own made up definition of words, then you're on your own im afraid.

No thanks

brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sure, generalise all those who disagree with you. That's constructive. I don't like this government. I don't like Irish Water. I also don't like a lot of things about the angle the protestors are taking on all this. If they were willing to take on a more rational outlook I'd be out on the streets like a shot for the next protest.

I'm sorry for putting you in the bracket of a certain few posters.The tone of that post put you in the bracket of the FG/Labour die hards.
    Don't let a few who tag along with the protests put you off.Go & make your voice heard.
    Your point is akin to giving up going to GAA because a few eejits run onto the pitch after a ref.Any protest will have a few who go too far and the anti protest brigade will latch onto this & conveniently ignore the many thousands of ordinary,reasonable;) people who want to go along and make their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

It appears that a group of "protesters" were attacking that car who got scared and freaked out a bit. That what I see in the video.

hard to make out ?Was thinking same as you till I notice someone on the ground at the far side of the car around the 2/3 sec mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If everyone of the 100,000 as the protest yesterday had given me a quid I'd have 35,000 quid

Nice of you to factor in the government taxation on that money,you should get a job in IW with accounting skills like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

zerks wrote: »
    I'm sorry for putting you in the bracket of a certain few posters.The tone of that post put you in the bracket of the FG/Labour die hards.
    Don't let a few who tag along with the protests put you off.Go & make your voice heard.
    Your point is akin to giving up going to GAA because a few eejits run onto the pitch after a ref.Any protest will have a few who go too far and the anti protest brigade will latch onto this & conveniently ignore the many thousands of ordinary,reasonable;) people who want to go along and make their point.

I see your point, but one of my main issues is with the 'right to water' angle at the heart of the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seems like the main incident happens almost before the camera starts, very hard to make out.

Any update on what the person was rushed to hospital for? Assume its the lad on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Why do these protests bring out the dregs in society?

People talking absolute bile about the Gardai saying they should be protecting the public and not barricading them.

Then what? Let them waltz into the Dail? Idiots. Complete and utter idiots. They think a protest means they can do whatever they like.

I saw another video of people running at Gardai on O'Connell St and being thrown out of the way. Too fcuking right. Who do these people think they are?

I feel sorry for those who caused no trouble yesterday.

Seems like the main incident happens almost before the camera starts, very hard to make out.

Any update on what the person was rushed to hospital for? Assume its the lad on the ground

Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The driver will do time for that and rightfully so I mean wtf??

• Advertisement

The driver will do time for that and rightfully so I mean wtf??

Depends on what happened before the camera started rolling.

Funny that.

i think you'll find that most incidents only get caught after the fact... unless you're suggesting that protestors had some sort of psychic forewarning of the event and ignored it? :eek:

i mean nobody has video of the cop getting hit by the apple yesterday... plenty of footage of the moments after it though. maybe the police knew it would happen and choose to ignore it and not get video evidence to convict the idiot that did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

so your one of those " wont pay " rather than " cant pay "

people like you make life expensive for me and others
    Yup, nothing is going to happen to me by not paying, just like the TV license, so why would I? The onus is on the government to fine me or the Gardaí to arrest me. I have no fear of either happening.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    There are 350,000 people on Social Welfare. That is 350,000 people who have the time to protest and who can not afford the Water charges, and are generally angry at the government for lack of employment opportunities. Why is it that the protest can only muster up 30,000-40,000? If your ballpark and laughable figure of 100,000 is accepted, where are the other 250,000 people? Is it possible they actually agree/understand with what is necessary?

Would love a response to that question.
    They were all doing mandatory government courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chatperche

I see you've been taken in by the €3 per week. That's the low price to get people to sign up. Once it's in private hands, the sky is the limit.

Don't be such a drama queen. Have you ever heard of regulations? If IW were to be privatised they would not be able to change their prices willy nilly, they would need to apply to the regulators and argue their case before they can increase prices. Do you think ESB can move their price up by 50% without applying first to the energy regulator?

i think you'll find that most incidents only get caught after the fact... unless you're suggesting that protestors had some sort of psychic forewarning of the event and ignored it? :eek:

That's actually a valid point. It also means we have no idea who is more in the wrong.

That's actually a valid point. It also means we have no idea who is more in the wrong.

personally i think the driver made a dangerous error but i agree, who knows what was going on? the video is only evidence of an incident happening, it doesnt show cause on either side.

chatperche wrote: »
    Don't be such a drama queen. Have you ever heard of regulations? If IW were to be privatised they would not be able to change their prices willy nilly, they would need to apply to the regulators and argue their case before they can increase prices. Do you think ESB can move their price up by 50% without applying first to the energy regulator?

sth west water in the UK. majority owned now by jpmorgan. prices have risen nearly 700% in the 7 years they've been in charge...

also
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/special-reports/growth-of-large-private-water-companies-brings-h-1/nRh7F/
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2495573/Cost-average-annual-water-set-rise-400.html

are you still sure it cant be done?

personally i think the driver made a dangerous error but i agree, who knows what was going on? the video is only evidence of an incident happening, it doesnt show cause on either side.

I honestly can't tell what exactly happened. I see the driver speeding off which certainly doesn't seem wise given the circumstances, but I also see a few lads with hoods up running after his car.

sth west water in the UK. majority owned now by jpmorgan. prices have risen nearly 700% in the 7 years they've been in charge.

are you still sure it cant be done?

Is this the UK?

• Advertisement

I honestly can't tell what exactly happened. I see the driver speeding off which certainly doesn't seem wise given the circumstances, but I also see a few lads with hoods up running after his car.

if someone ran me over im pretty sure any mates with me would be running after the car. but definitely not evidence as to where the fault lies.

im sure witness statements have been taken anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement