Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Falthyron wrote: »
    Only half a million? Selling themselves short, aren't they? I would expect no less than one million considering they had over 100,000 at the protest yesterday. :pac:

Another perfectly "impartial" comment.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Is this the UK?

this isnt even ireland anymore ;)

you think our government excercises free will on these measures? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

you think our government excercises free will? :D

So that's a no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

The driver will do time for that and rightfully so I mean wtf??
    It's hard to blame them for driving off considering there was a mob of yobs chasing after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    It's hard to blame them for driving off considering there was a mob of yobs chasing after them.

If somebody knocked down one of your friends or relations,would you not chase after them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

if someone ran me over im pretty sure any mates with me would be running after the car. but definitely not evidence as to where the fault lies.

im sure witness statements have been taken anyway.

Yeah reg would have been taken by someone, it will be handled one way or another. Surprised we havent heard more about the extent of the injuries

Driver is in the wrong even if provoked, pretty sure id have sped off if I had that lot chasing me though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Can another private company be set up as competition to Irish Water? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Yeah tbf not everything is shown in the video. The whole idea of blocking the traffic etc was stupid also. What could that possibly add to the protest? Protesting is a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something someone has said or done. It should not include being a general nuisance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

you think our government excercises free will on these measures? :D

Pretty sure by definition it still is

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

More info on the "hit and run"

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/12/11/suv-hit-frame-by-frame/

“It happened on Butt Bridge around 3:15pm. A silver SUV (Landrover?) mounted the footpath from behind the lorry. When it got to one of the 30-odd protester that were slow marching at that junction on the road and path, the SUV, after what looked like a brief start/stop situation, didn’t stop and knocked him over. As that was happening more people realised what was going and went towards the SUV. It then continued through with one person on its bonnet a few meters who was also in its way. He managed to get off with being run over and the jeep left the scene on past the Customs House. The first man was taken away by an ambulance. I don’t think he was hurt too bad but both were definitely very lucky. It could have been really bad.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Maybe some couldn't get off work?

Why go the opposit direction if they are blocking your way home and the streets surrounding are all blocked with traffic?

How does a person "go around" if their mode of transport (bus/luas) goes via the city center?

As i said already hopefully the guards are better prepared for them next time, a nice heavy police presence with all resources at their disposal should soon deter any of the gob****es from yesterday repeating their stunts.

As I said its a convenience to say you or anyone cant get home and blame it on the protestors, plenty of other routes, everyone knew the march was on, if it was pig headedness just to sit there and bitch and moan its your or anyone elses fault for doing so.

Takes 5 minutes to to wake up and say jaysus theres a march on must go a different way home and plan for it rather then moaning when ye get into the middle of it

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

srumball wrote: »
    More info on the "hit and run"

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/12/11/suv-hit-frame-by-frame/

“It happened on Butt Bridge around 3:15pm. A silver SUV (Landrover?) mounted the footpath from behind the lorry. When it got to one of the 30-odd protester that were slow marching at that junction on the road and path, the SUV, after what looked like a brief start/stop situation, didn’t stop and knocked him over. As that was happening more people realised what was going and went towards the SUV. It then continued through with one person on its bonnet a few meters who was also in its way. He managed to get off with being run over and the jeep left the scene on past the Customs House. The first man was taken away by an ambulance. I don’t think he was hurt too bad but both were definitely very lucky. It could have been really bad.”

Yeah, having seen that, the driver was an utter moron for going on the footpath and is clearly in the wrong.

shinzon wrote: »
    As I said its a convenience to say you or anyone cant get home and blame it on the protestors, plenty of other routes, everyone knew the march was on, if it was pig headedness just to sit there and bitch and moan its your or anyone elses fault for doing so.

Oh they didn't inconvenience me for a single second, How does someone who has driven up to the bridge (see taxi driver stuck in his car) as protest starts take a different route? People who were stuck on pearse street for hours when they got caught up?
    Takes 5 minutes to to wake up and say jaysus theres a march on must go a different way home and plan for it rather then moaning when ye get into the middle of it

Shin

Again you defend the actions of these lowlifes, as i have said hopefully next time the guards are FULLY prepared for their little stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

zerks wrote: »
    If somebody knocked down one of your friends or relations,would you not chase after them?
    I mean it's not surprising that they were frightened and were panicked into driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

FionnK86 wrote: »

Some would argue that's exactly what should happen. Public retention of the infrastructure, with private firms competing for supply just like Eircom, UPC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

When you rely on public transport to get home and it goes through those areas than there's not a whole lot you can do.

Bit rich to be complaining about other people moaning as well.

naughtb4 wrote: »

touché :D

but i stand by saying that europe (read: the banking power behind it) is forcing these charges thru. enda & co have just noticed that its a nice little gravy train for them too.

FionnK86 wrote: »

Give it a few years if Enda has his way.

Some would argue that's exactly what should happen. Public retention of the infrastructure, with private firms competing for supply just like Eircom, UPC etc.

unfortunately a lot of people cannot see that a full IW privatisation would be a very different thing to eircom ét all.

which brings up a very valid point. why didnt the government use all this money to upgrade the infrastructure and then let private 'water distribution' companies compete for the rights to sell a resource that remains under our control?

but then again, if that happened we'd have to open another brown envelope tribunal within months!

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    I mean it's not surprising that they were frightened and were panicked into driving off.

I suppose after mounting a footpath,knocking down one person and driving along with another on the bonnet your first instinct would be to drive off.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh they didn't inconvenience me for a single second, How does someone who has driven up to the bridge (see taxi driver stuck in his car) as protest starts take a different route? People who were stuck on pearse street for hours when they got caught up?

Again you defend the actions of these lowlifes, as i have said hopefully next time the guards are FULLY prepared for their little stunts.

im defending no lowlifes, ive said since yesterday that I didn't agree with it, but to come on here and say people were inconvenienced and blame it on the protestors when a bit of planning was all that's needed is ridiculous in the extreme

The thousands of people you claim that were inconvenienced knew this was on and for one day whether what happened on the bridge happened or not could not make alternative routes or travel arrangements, the simple answer to that is no

Its just easier to bitch and moan and target the people on the bridge as if they had anything to with the legitimate protest and then tar everyone with the same brush as usual.

In closing there was a March on you don't think ahead and use alternate routes then your going to get stuck and its nobodies fault but your own, fastest way to get from A to B on a protest day use E and F tbh

Shin

Daith wrote: »
    When you rely on public transport to get home and it goes through those areas than there's not a whole lot you can do.

i dont know your route so i wont say you're wrong. but i got the number 40 bus after walking 3 bus stops away from the protest area at 5:15 yesterday evening. traffic was rough alright but it normally is at that time anyway.

maybe you got unlucky because of your bus route but it wasnt like that everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

unfortunately a lot of people cannot see that a full IW privatisation would be a very different thing to eircom ét all.

which brings up a very valid point. why didnt the government use all this money to upgrade the infrastructure and then let private 'water distribution' companies compete for the rights to sell a resource that remains under our control?

but then again, if that happened we'd have to open another brown envelope tribunal within months!

Eh cause it would take 200 years at 300km a year to upgrade the water system at a cost of about 30 billion.

touché :D

but i stand by saying that europe (read: the banking power behind it) is forcing these charges thru. enda & co have just noticed that its a nice little gravy train for them too.

According to Europe,we as a country are exempt from introducing water charges,of course Enda & the lads will have us believe this tax was foisted upon us.Is this why the cost of IW is being kept "off balance" so when Europe look at our books they won't notice the massive amounts of money being poured into a bottomless trough with a certain few greedily dipping in.
    They use accounting techniques the Mafia would be proud of.

i dont know your route so i wont say you're wrong. but i got the number 40 bus after walking 3 bus stops away from the protest area at 5:15 yesterday evening. traffic was rough alright but it normally is at that time anyway.

maybe you got unlucky because of your bus route but it wasnt like that everywhere.

People posting (even in this thread) that it took 3 or more hours to get home because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

zerks wrote: »
    I suppose after mounting a footpath,knocking down one person and driving along with another on the bonnet your first instinct would be to drive off.:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what pathetic excuses some of the pro IW circle jerkers make on here. When you flee the scene, it automatically becomes a crime.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Eh cause it would take 200 years at 300km a year to upgrade the water system at a cost of about 30 billion.

so it would take a state owned company 200 years.

how long will it take IW to do the same job?

(genuine question)

Daith wrote: »

Ever hear of a bicycle or god forbid the 2 things under ye called legs I here they can get ye places fairly quickly tbh

Theres ways and means of getting places just people are to busy bitching and moaning about the protestors to plan ahead on the day

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

im defending no lowlifes, ive said since yesterday that I didn't agree with it, but to come on here and say people were inconvenienced and blame it on the protestors when a bit of planning was all that's needed is ridiculous in the extreme

The thousands of people you claim that were inconvenienced knew this was on and for one day whether what happened on the bridge happened or not could not make alternative routes or travel arrangements, the simple answer to that is no

Its just easier to bitch and moan and target the people on the bridge as if they had anything to with the legitimate protest and then tar everyone with the same brush as usual.

In closing there was a March on you don't think ahead and use alternate routes then your going to get stuck and its nobodies fault but your own, fastest way to get from A to B on a protest day use E and F tbh

Shin

Absolute nonsense.

There was no protest planned for O'Connell St Bridge from 3pm to 730pm or Abbey St.

Blocking the Luas was a new low. With all your great "ideas" what do you suggest for people who rely on that mode of transport?

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

There was no protest planned for O'Connell St Bridge from 3pm to 730pm or Abbey St.

Blocking the Luas was a new low. With all your great "ideas" what do you suggest for people who rely on that mode of transport?

Sure can't they walk

That will be his next excuse for defending the lowlifes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement