Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Daith

shinzon wrote: »
    Ever hear of a bicycle or god forbid the 2 things under ye called legs I here they can get ye places fairly quickly tbh

Theres ways and means of getting places just people are to busy bitching and moaning about the protestors to plan ahead on the day

Shin

And all protesters do is bitch and moan without offering any alternative.

Though are you suggesting people should have bought bikes to get around the protesters on O'Connell street. What nonsense.

andyman wrote: »
    Why do these protests bring out the dregs in society?

People talking absolute bile about the Gardai saying they should be protecting the public and not barricading them.

Then what? Let them waltz into the Dail? Idiots. Complete and utter idiots. They think a protest means they can do whatever they like.

I saw another video of people running at Gardai on O'Connell St and being thrown out of the way. Too fcuking right. Who do these people think they are?

I feel sorry for those who caused no trouble yesterday.

Absolute brain deads, i seen on one of those workers solidarity videos calling them anti-democratic barriers, yeah says the pack of animals that want to storm govt buildings by force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ever hear of a bicycle or god forbid the 2 things under ye called legs I here they can get ye places fairly quickly tbh

Theres ways and means of getting places just people are to busy bitching and moaning about the protestors to plan ahead on the day

Shin

What about commercial vehicles delivering food or clothes in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Eh cause it would take 200 years at 300km a year to upgrade the water system at a cost of about 30 billion.

How are you qualified to make that estimation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

zerks wrote: »
    According to Europe,we as a country are exempt from introducing water charges

That's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is

http://www.philiplee.ie/Libraries/Publications/The_Legal_Case_for_Household_Water_Charges.sflb.ashx
    The so-called ‘Irish derogation’ from the requirement to recover the costs of water services is, therefore, conditional upon the ability of the member state to demonstrate that the non-charging for water services does not compromise the purposes and objectives of the Directive. It is accepted that Ireland’s water supply, storage, treatment and related infrastructure is leaking and is no longer fit for purpose. In addition, water quality targets are not being met and may not be met by the 2015 deadline mandated by the Water Framework Directive. While Ireland has recently completed the River Basin District Management Plans required by the Directive, the Plans do not include any detailed analysis or reasons for the non-recovery of the costs of domestic water services. It would appear, therefore, that not only could the objectives and purposes of the Directive be compromised, but Ireland may also be found to have failed to adequately report on the reasons and justification for not applying the principle of cost recovery for water services in the domestic sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

chatperche wrote: »
    Don't be such a drama queen. Have you ever heard of regulations? If IW were to be privatised they would not be able to change their prices willy nilly, they would need to apply to the regulators and argue their case before they can increase prices. Do you think ESB can move their price up by 50% without applying first to the energy regulator?

Not if, but when it is privatised, it will be privatised with the sole purpose of profit. How often do the CER say no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I would appear that the first impact has now rebuked the requirement for pps numbers, and we have a cap on the bills also-which render the meters useless until they decide to charge.

how about a different type of protest - have you no meter yet installed?
    Are you metered and it is not being billed as usage?

just turn on the tap and let it flow, let it flow, let it flow!!!!!

for Dublin, the reserves in Roundwood and the reservoir would deplete before too long,(how long? I can't say) but when usage goes up, and the summertime comes, the multinationals will apply their own type of pressure to the government to sort the damn mess out now, or we cant manufacture. then it will be happy ever after.
    I used to turn off the tap when brushing my teeth, now I just don't care as I have a meter and no relative bill! doesn't bother me to flush twice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I would appear that the first impact has now rebuked the requirement for pps numbers, and we have a cap on the bills also-which render the meters useless until they decide to charge.

how about a different type of protest - have you no meter yet installed?
    Are you metered and it is not being billed as usage?

just turn on the tap and let it flow, let it flow, let it flow!!!!!

for Dublin, the reserves in Roundwood and the reservoir would deplete before too long,(how long? I can't say) but when usage goes up, and the summertime comes, the multinationals will apply their own type of pressure to the government to sort the damn mess out now, or we cant manufacture. then it will be happy ever after.
    I used to turn off the tap when brushing my teeth, now I just don't care as I have a meter and no relative bill! doesn't bother me to flush twice either.

And it's because of idiotic behavior like this (see leaving taps running overnight in winter) that people SHOULD be metered for the water they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

And it's because of idiotic behavior like this (see leaving taps running overnight in winter) that people SHOULD be metered for the water they use.

its my way of protesting - I protest to make myself heard. when I'm heard I will stop my protest - and turn off the outside tap. until then....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We can only apologise if those of us who were at work all day got in the way of your protest. We're very sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I saw another video of people running at Gardai on O'Connell St and being thrown out of the way. Too fcuking right.

not to right at all. those were brootle assaults and only wild animals would condone them.
    Who do these people think they are?

they were protesting. the gards were violent.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Irish Water: Worker sent by firm to fix family's water pressure threatened to kill homeowner

“He said: ‘I don’t work for f**king Irish Water and I don’t work for you, you pr**k. You little pr**k, I’m going to f**king kill you.

“‘You’re a f**king dead man, I’m coming over to f**king kill you.’

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-water-worker-sent-firm-4786023

not to right at all. those were brootle assaults and only wild animals would condone them.

The wild animals were the ones thrown to the ground

The guards used the force necessary to remove the filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

And rightly so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

I keep seeing this said a lot. Talk a walk along any street in the country ask people how prosperous their life is, I doubt you'll get many that agree with you. All this talk of recovery this recovery that but I can't see? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

property prices are soaring , ive been at two auctions so far this week and their is no shortage of money

confidence in the economy is much stronger than it was as recent as two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

its my way of protesting - I protest to make myself heard. when I'm heard I will stop my protest - and turn off the outside tap. until then....:)

Not to mention how irresponsible an attitude it is, as a taxpayer I have no interest in paying for your protest - which you are forcing me to do.

I am probably not the only one, and yes you are making yourself heard - but possibly not in the way you would like to. You are actually building a very good case for the government that usage based billing is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

From reading lots of international articles, commentators are generally applauding us for our action on this issue. It seems to be a common theme of people being charged low for water and then the price being ramped up sharply in many countries.

Well done to everyone who marched yesterday except the clowns that blocked O'Connell bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

and our rents are shooting back up to pre crash rates...

we'll be the fastest falling again soon enough.

america is on the brink, if they fall again we're properly bolloxed.

the american economy is by far the strongest of the major blocs right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'm in favour of Irish Water being privatised.
    It would generate billions for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

property prices are soaring , ive been at two auctions so far this week and their is no shortage of money

confidence in the economy is much stronger than it was as recent as two years ago

How is property a good indicator of the economy performing? Its clearly a supply issue.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I'm in favour of Irish Water being privatised.
    It would generate billions for the country.

Which country though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

From reading lots of international articles, commentators are generally applauding us for our action on this issue. It seems to be a common theme of people being charged low for water and then the price being ramped up sharply in many countries.

Well done to everyone who marched yesterday except the clowns that blocked O'Connell bridge.

Links?

My international friends here don't understand the big fuss about the charges and pretty much all think it makes sense to pay for what you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Guards apparently nearly knocked over a cyclist and then bundled him into the back of a van...https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205496478553947&fref=nf

Anything to antagonise the crowd hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is this the UK?

Guess which nation the govt. used to base IW's business model on?

Guess which nation the govt. used to base IW's business model on?

That's not what i asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

I suppose after mounting a footpath,knocking down one person and driving along with another on the bonnet your first instinct would be to drive off.:rolleyes:
    If there was a mob chasing after me.

falan wrote: »
    Guards apparently nearly knocked over a cyclist and then bundled him into the back of a van...https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205496478553947&fref=nf

Anything to antagonise the crowd hey.

LOL :rolleyes:

Watch the video again.

edit: Love the comments
    No uniforms or badge numbers shown. Rights were never read. By rights the poor mans free to go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gaius c wrote: »
    According to the Matt Cooper show last night, one of the groups blocking the bridge were the "New Land League" group led by former property developer and FF executive member Jerry Beades. People will probably remember them for the sabotage of an Allsops auction and the "Constant Markievicz" comedy gold.

haha I can't believe Fianna Fail were blocking O'Connell Bridge last night. I guess Enda was right, there really is a sinister fringe element to the protests :D

FWIW I was in the area and the Westmoreland St side was blocked by a variety of non aligned groups from all over the country- Donegal, Mayo, Tipp, Cork banners were all to be seen with not a party banner in sight. People were playing music, chanting, singing the Fields of Athenry, even Dirty Old Town got a belt. On the O'Connell St side of the bridge there were far fewer people blocking it, the few that were there seemed to me to be the RNU grouping, I'm not sure what they're about but they were the most visible group on that side.

In any event as soon as protestors blocked the bridge all the Dublin Bus drivers scattered away from their buses. What the media aren't mentioning is that even if the Gardai had of cleared the protestors there would still likely have been gridlock because the bus drivers had long since gone AWOL in their own silent protest.

The wild animals were the ones thrown to the ground

not at all. a bit boystriss yes but not wild animals.
    The guards used the force necessary to remove the filth.

they didn't. it was brootle assaults all the way

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not to mention how irresponsible an attitude it is, as a taxpayer I have no interest in paying for your protest - which you are forcing me to do.

I am probably not the only one, and yes you are making yourself heard - but possibly not in the way you would like to. You are actually building a very good case for the government that usage based billing is the way to go.
    no he's not. the government don't care what way the water charge is implemented as long as it brings in revenue and enough money for the pensions of the wasters in charge of it who have failed time and time again at the tax payers expence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement