Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

not at all. a bit boystriss yes but not wild animals.

they didn't. it was brootle assaults all the way

No one was assaulted, they were moved along using necessary force, you may not like this but that's tough ****. If you feel someone was assaulted maybe you should head to Pearse street garda station and make a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm in favour of Irish Water being privatised.
    It would generate billions for the country.
    just like the paracitic private companies in the UK. yeah. it would in me backside. take billions while quadroopling the prices every year would happen all right. dream on.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

no he's not. the government don't care what way the water charge is implemented as long as it brings in revenue and enough money for the pensions of the wasters in charge of it who have failed time and time again at the tax payers expence

So you support the fact that the community should bare the cost (possibly hundred of euros per year) every time someone is completely careless with water or has leaks in their property be couldn't care fixing them?

Bob24 wrote: »
    Links?

My international friends here don't understand the big fuss about the charges and pretty much all think it makes sense to pay for what you use.
    or maybe they don't, and your saying as such because you have that opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Links?

My international friends here don't understand the big fuss about the charges and pretty much all think it makes sense to pay for what you use.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/the-irish-took-austerity-lying-down-german-poll-30758570.html

60pc of Germans surveyed agreed that we weren't vocal enough in 2008, the year the crash came and the Government bailed out the banks.
    It was a similar view held by those from the US and UK, at 41pc and 53pc respectively.
    The majority also agreed that Irish people were too accepting of the crisis and its implications.

Tell your international friends i said to pog mo thoin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Originally Posted by ronsh2000
    I mean it's not surprising that they were frightened and were panicked into driving off.

Wow footage of this hit and run has now emerged, the driver of the SUV drove onto a footpath where pedestrians were walking. Many of the people on that footpath were just ordinary people who were going about their business till a SUV driver decides to use his vehicle as a weapon against pedestrians, knocking one of them over and carrying another across his bonnet.

Are you really going to try to continue to defend a hit and run on a pedestrian on a footpath ronsh2000? Because if you do then the pro Water side has reached a brand new low on this thread, shame on you for defending a driver of a two tonne vehicle ploughing into a bunch of pedestrians on a footpath. I truly hope that such an event never happens to you or your family, you might at least try to show the same compassion for others ?

or maybe they don't, and your saying as such because you have that opinion

I suggest you engage with other Europeans around this, you might be surprised ;-)

In the meantime, still waiting for the links ...

Just typed "Dublin Water" in Google News France and here is what I find: https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=dBOLaE2MB4MZdtMgrPqbOAMSwzDXM&q=dublin+eau&lr=English&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=pbaJVO2TAqfU7AbqvICQCw&ved=0CCMQqgIwAA

Limited coverage for the protest and all fairly neutral articles ... I cannot find the praises for the Irish public that was mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wow footage of this hit and run has now emerged, the driver of the SUV drove onto a footpath where pedestrians were walking. Many of the people on that footpath were just ordinary people who were going about their business till a SUV driver decides to use his vehicle as a weapon against pedestrians, knocking one of them over and carrying another across his bonnet.

Are you really going to try to continue to defend a hit and run on a pedestrian on a footpath ronsh2000? Because if you do then the pro Water side has reached a brand new low on this thread, shame on you for defending a driver of a two tonne vehicle ploughing into a bunch of pedestrians on a footpath. I truly hope that such an event never happens to you or your family, you might at least try to show the same compassion for others ?
    I'm not defending a hit and run. I can't see from the video what happened before the mob started chasing the car so I can't comment on that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

its funny, is it only in Ireland where a minority of people can represent the majority, but a minority of people doesnt represent the majority.

On one hand you have those in the 35,000 or 60k or whatever saying it was a full demonstration of the majority of the country and they represent all sectors, whilst on the other side saying that the few hundred who were protesting went off and blocked the bridges and main roads are not representing them and have nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

no he's not. the government don't care what way the water charge is implemented as long as it brings in revenue and enough money for the pensions of the wasters in charge of it who have failed time and time again at the tax payers expence
    yeah and look at the amount of wasters that want someone else to pay for it, at least those in IW are actually working and contributing to some extent...
    just like the paracitic private companies in the UK. yeah. it would in me backside. take billions while quadroopling the prices every year would happen all right. dream on.
    I think there are good arguments for privatisation in general. You claim and possibly correctly so, that the private companies are parasites and what the government alternatives are models for efficiency and the pay / pension levels etc are ok, its just a case of which parasite is the best option...

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/the-irish-took-austerity-lying-down-german-poll-30758570.html

60pc of Germans surveyed agreed that we weren't vocal enough in 2008, the year the crash came and the Government bailed out the banks.
    It was a similar view held by those from the US and UK, at 41pc and 53pc respectively.
    The majority also agreed that Irish people were too accepting of the crisis and its implications.

Tell your international friends i said to pog mo thoin...

I'll tell them indeed ... I am sure they will appreciate the mark of affection and respect.

Having said that I don't see how your link backs up the statement that "From reading lots of international articles, commentators are generally applauding us for our action on this issue" ... hints: the article is Irish, the survey it is based on is Irish funded, and last but not least I see no mention whatsoever of the water charges issue in it.

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    I'm not defending a hit and run. I can't see from the video what happened before the mob started chasing the car so I can't comment on that.
    And if a mob was chasing me I wouldn't hang around to reason with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I hear the Daily Mail are looking for reporters, you should definitely apply :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

falan wrote: »
    Guards apparently nearly knocked over a cyclist and then bundled him into the back of a van...https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205496478553947&fref=nf

Anything to antagonise the crowd hey.

Comments like that really do no favours to the so called protesters. Man jumps in front of Garda van and rightfully gets arrested might be a more appropriate headline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I'll tell them indeed ... I am sure they will appreciate the mark of affection and respect.

Having said that I don't see how your link backs up the statement that "From reading lots of international articles, commentators are generally applauding us for our action on this issue" ...

Who said i was backing up that statement?, i was merely pointing out that your "International friends" who don't understand all the fuss about charges aren't the only internationals with an opinion on Ireland.
    Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Man jumps in front of Garda van and rightfully gets arrested might be a more appropriate headline

and you can say this because you have access to the moments before the video starts?

the guy says "you clearly pushed me over", suggesting the incident possibly occurred before the camera was rolling and the cyclist was attempting to stop the cops just driving away after a possible motoring incident.

but then i can only guess since we only see a portion of the incident...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Even if he is defending the incident, it has absolutely no relevance to his stance on the Irish Water debate. Nice try though.

Satriale wrote: »
    Who said i was backing up that statement?, i was merely pointing out that your "International friends" who don't understand all the fuss about charges aren't the only internationals with an opinion on Ireland.

Again, I don't see the word "water" mentioned a single time in the article you quoted, and it is an article published by an Irish based newspaper based on an Irish survey funded by a "Galway based businessman".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hope somebody got that clowns number.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And if a mob was chasing me I wouldn't hang around to reason with them.

So, you're condoning a crime.

• Advertisement

Even if he is defending the incident, it has absolutely no relevance to his stance on the Irish Water debate. Nice try though.
    I'm not defending the incident because I don't know the details. What I am saying is that it is understandable that the driver drove away, considering he or she was being chased by a mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Only a matter of time before some clown from puts up a conspiracy video that it was an undercover guard who drove over them people. To be shared by the thousand other facebook warriors

I'm not defending the incident because I don't know the details. What I am saying is that it is understandable that the driver drove away, considering he or she was being chased by a mob.

Didn't mean to imply you were, I see I worded it badly though. I was just pointing out his argument is nonsense :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

understandable that errors of judgement can happen. not excusable though.

if i make an error of judgement, run a red and have a cop see me doing it? ill get done... and ive not mounted the pavement to run over anybody in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Wow the pro water sheep now defending a hit and run.

they're is no deffence for driving a vehicle on to a footpath and moing down people. i don't care what supposibly happened to "cause" it. hopefully the bit of vermin responsible will be swiftly caught and locked up indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Links?

Same here, work with alot of people from other European Nations and they cannot understand what the fuss is about

Wow the pro water sheep now defending a hit and run.

And again the two points are in no way related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

they're is no deffence for driving a vehicle on to a footpath and moing down people. i don't care what supposibly happened to "cause" it. hopefully the bit of vermin responsible will be swiftly caught and locked up indefinitely

Who was mowed down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Views From The Foreign Press...

How the world saw Ireland’s water charge protests.

Reports from US to China say ‘austerity-weary Irish people’ have had enough.

Invited to Ireland by the Right2Water Campaign, members of the Detroit Water Brigade flew to Dublin for the water charge protest on December 10th.

In Ireland it was the story of the day but the anti-water charges protests in Dublin sparked coverage across the world.

Comments from readers under international articles ranged from saying the “protest were long overdue” and asking why did the public not protest during the bank bail outs while others were less sympathetic.

Al Jazeera reported using the headline “Ireland hit by mass protests over water tax”

The media outlet spoke to Sinn Féin Cllr Daithi Doolan, who said: “The government has misspent our money.”
    The article spoke about water charges as the last “major measure” in Ireland’s six-year austerity drive.

It included reports a garda was brought to hospital with facial injuries before riot police encouraged the crowd to back away.

Chicago Tribune lead with the headline “Burn the bondholders’ chant echoes through Dublin bailout protest”.
    In the introduction to the article, the reporter explained the anger during the protests had stemmed from the state rescue of the nation’s financial system.
    It went on to describe public resistance to the charges had been amplified by the revelation junior bondholders in Anglo Irish Bank may be entitled to a payout after the taxpayer put €35 billion into the lender

Journalist John Walsh wrote in UK’s Independent that Irish “people are waking up to the fact the money will be used to pay off the massive national debt”.

“Charging the population for water in a country whose annual rainfall approaches Noah’s Ark proportions is pretty bizarre; charging twice sounds like the government is taking the Mick,” he said.

“How did the Irish government not see the protest coming? Couldn’t they have looked at British history and seen that nothing winds up the populace more than a combination of tax, hardship, government ingenuity, ministerial complacency and popular dislike of wasting money?”

China’s Xinhua News had a short piece on the Dublin protests against water charges.

America’s Bloomberg Businessweek ran an article from their correspondent in Paris , Carol Matlack, with the headline “Austerity-Weary Ireland, Having to Pay for Water Is the Last Straw”.
    Matlack wrote: “The Irish have stoically endured six years of austerity. But they’re drawing the line at having to pay for water.”
    The article also referred to the activists from Detroit who spoke at the campaign in Dublin yesterday.

She compared proposed water charges in Ireland close to average in the US.
    “Although American rates vary widely, with such cities as Honolulu and Seattle charging about twice the national average,” she said.
    Matlock quoted Irish Times columnist Michael Harding’s article “Water is so potent, even St. Patrick didn’t mess with it” to show the emotion behind the campaign.

Channel 4 used a photograph of gardaí facing off with protesters behind the barrier on Kildare Street.
    They referred to Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams address to the crowd from the makeshift stage.
    “You have been able to stand for yourselves but for scores of thousands of people who have not been able to be here this day,” he said.

BBC lead with “Anger at Irish water charges surges online” in their piece.
    Their footage covered protest songs and videos that have been posted by protesters online.

The Guardian had the headline “Water charges protest brings Dublin to a halt”.
    “Coins, stones and plastic bottles were hurled at police lines,” described the minor incidents that broke out during the day.

“Despite exiting the international bailout last year, a growing economy and falling unemployment, the introduction of water charges has proved to be the potentially lethal issue that could doom the current Fine Gael-Labour coalition in the 2016 general election.”

The Times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement