Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Obviously I've no idea what happend in that incident, but looking at that video it struck me that many people would be terrified to be surrounded by people with their faces masked, waving republican flags and acting agressively to block the road. If I thought for a minute that myself or my kids were at risk I'd have no hesitation in driving through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Daith wrote: »
    That's rich given you play the sympathy card all the time about people being unable to afford to pay for water.

You don't want to pay for water. Make alternate arrangements for your water and waste water so

Saying it's okay for people to pay more to get a taxi but it's not okay for people to pay more water is hypocritical at best.

your unbelieveable you really are your comparing the privatisation of our water supply bills that will run into 100's of euros when the caps lifted pushing people into poverty with a fecking taxi ride to avoid the protest

Is that what your saying cause that is well and truly stretching credibility even for you

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Satriale wrote: »
    :confused: And I dont see the word water mentioned in your post, you said "the charges".

Maybe you should sit-down as it might come as a shock after 472 pages of reading it without noticing ... but this thread is about water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

andyman wrote: »
    Irrelevant, you're saying the driver should never be mounting the pavement like that. If the scenario is the what Timber described, why are people doing that to the car in the first place?

Doing what to the car in the first place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Err Driving on footpaths is Still illegal in this country regardless of intention this is not GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Daith

shinzon wrote: »
    100's of euros when the caps lifted pushing people into poverty with a fecking taxi ride to avoid the protest
    And you can play the sympathy card all you want doesn't wash with me,

Don't play it with me either

It's the hypocritical stance that gets me

your unbelieveable you really are your comparing the privatisation of our water supply bills that will run into 100's of euros when the caps lifted pushing people into poverty with a fecking taxi ride to avoid the protest
    Hundreds of thousands of people who didn't join your protest were trying to get home after a hard day at work. The people forced into paying for taxis were those who get the LUAS/bus into work and wouldn't exactly be loaded.

Never was so much owed by so many because of so few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is that what your saying cause that is well and truly stretching credibility even for you

Shin

The protest was due to be in Merrion Square at that stage not almost 2km away

Not everyone lives within 30 mins of Dublin and has multiple ways of getting home. Almost everyone whether pro, anti, or a bit of both have said those blocking that area at that time of night were idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Anyway what did the protestors hope to achieve and actually achieve by blocking traffic yesterday???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe you should sit-down as it might come as a shock after 472 pages of reading it without noticing ... but this thread is about water charges.

There's more than one!!! Ye must be exploding with delight!
    Joking aside, "the charges" in your post could indicate the austerity charges and my reply reflected this. Even your dear leader knows it not all about water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Daith wrote: »
    Don't play it with me either

It's the hypocritical stance that gets me

Don't worry about him, he's at the same game for weeks now. I have a distinct feeling that the money for his water wouldn't be coming out of his pocket even if he was going to pay it. My guess is single, under 20, unemployed, living with parents.

There's a couple more of the shouty ones like Tony AH and Tinkerbell that you won't get any sense out of. I've time for some of them but I think these in particular are purposely losing support for the movement. They're just at odds with everything and water charges are the face they're putting on it. Much like many of the other protestors.

hmmm wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of people who didn't join your protest were trying to get home after a hard day at work. The people forced into paying for taxis were those who get the LUAS/bus into work and wouldn't exactly be loaded.

Let me introduce the middle class - joyfully working away to pay their taxes (and everybody's water supply) in order to subside the welfare state and pay for the mistake of greedy bankers.

They won't mind getting home late and paying for a taxi-ride, will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

They are loosing support by many each stunt they do, its funny watching it die by their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Let me introduce the middle class - joyfully working away to pay their taxes (and everybody's water supply) in order to subside the welfare state and pay for the mistake of greedy bankers.

They won't mind getting home late and paying for a taxi-ride, will they?

the sentiment amongst most of my working mates was 'if it can help change things then whats 1 evening of travel chaos?'

all joyfully working and paying their taxes.

none needed taxis yesterday. once you got to christchurch, busses were running that direction.

the sentiment amongst most of my working mates was 'if it can help change things then whats 1 evening of travel chaos?'
    Nothing has changed however.

You still haven't told us how targetting commuters is going to help your cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

yipeeeee wrote: »
    They are loosing support by many each stunt they do, its funny watching it die by their own actions.

Well so far,

No pps numbers required

No metered charges till 2019

Money back if you sign up

No bonuses for IW staff

If we had just sat and watched all the above and more would not of happened, just please explain how it's dying ?

Joking aside, "the charges" in your post could indicate the austerity charges and my reply reflected this. Even your dear leader knows it not all about water.

Do you really want to keep going?

Right let me quote my full post again:
    Bob24 wrote:
    From reading lots of international articles, commentators are generally applauding us for our action on this issue. It seems to be a common theme of people being charged low for water and then the price being ramped up sharply in many countries.

Well done to everyone who marched yesterday except the clowns that blocked O'Connell bridge.

Links?

My international friends here don't understand the big fuss about the charges and pretty much all think it makes sense to pay for what you use.

Are you really saying that in a thread named "IW/Anything Water Related" and quoting someone taking about international article related the price of water - when I said "the charges" I could have been talking about anything else than water charges? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

the sentiment amongst most of my mates was 'if it can help change things then whats 1 evening of travel chaos?'

all joyfully working and paying their taxes.

none needed taxis yesterday. once you got to christchurch, busses were running that direction.

Funny cos everyone i spoke to in work today used the same words to describe them

gob****e idiots, lowlifes

probably because they could see the mayhem a few scrotes were causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Daith

They'll complain about more barricades at the next protests and wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Do you really want to keep going?

Right let me quote my full post again:

Are you really saying that in a thread named "IW/Anything Water Related" and quoting someone taking about international article related the price of water - when I said "the charges" I could have been talking about anything else than water charges? :-D

Jaysis Bob, put your tinfoil hat back on the radiation is getting to you.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Anyway what did the protestors hope to achieve and actually achieve by blocking traffic yesterday???

It was a tiny amount of people that blocked the traffic. These are the types that would turn up at any dog fight to cause a bit of hassle. Overall yesterday was great success and hopefully right minded people can see that.

Hopefully the goons that blocked the traffic stay away in the future because they are not welcome.

hmmm wrote: »
    Nothing has changed however.

You still haven't told us how targetting commuters is going to help your cause.

nobody i was with targeted commuters.

i didnt support the targeting of commuters.

i dont believe the majority of protesters supported the targeting commuters, a belief backed up by the actual numbers involved at o'connell bridge.

some commuters had less hassle getting home than others.

them's the facts from my side.

Funny cos everyone i spoke to in work today used the same words to describe them

gob****e idiots, lowlifes

probably because they could see the mayhem a few scrotes were causing.

given your views as you present them, im pretty sure the people you associate will will be generally similiar to you, given that mine are to me.

so what you say has as little relevance to me, as what i said has to you.

Jaysis Bob, put your tinfoil hat back on the radiation is getting to you.;)

And these very wise and well argument words are a perfect way to end the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm happy to pay water charges if the tax that was introduced last time they were opposed is removed and USC is lowered.

This won't happen under this government though, so we'll have to hope the next government can find some way to do it, when all of the budgets require that income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I haven't read the entire thread, I just don't have time, what with having to work and all, anyway, I digress.

Why is it that this water charge has put some people over the edge?

I have more of an issue with property tax and USC tbh, yet I didn't see or hear the level of protesting we are now witnessing when these charges came into effect.

Could it be assumed that the reason there is the level of protesting we are witnessing with regards to the water charges, be due to the possibility that a large proportion of those who are protesting don't pay USC, property tax etc?

Merely just a suggestion; I'm not a fan of generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'm happy to pay water charges if the tax that was introduced last time they were opposed is removed and USC is lowered.

This won't happen under this government though, so we'll have to hope the next government can find some way to do it, when all of the budgets require that income.

Next month income tax rates drop.

Most workers will benefit far more than the €160 that IW will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not everyone lives within 30 mins of Dublin and has multiple ways of getting home.

It wasn't even just people in the city affected, I was waiting for the 67 from Maynooth for nearly 2 hours, and the buses just weren't turning up, we didn't have a clue what was going on. There were loads of people waiting, and it was freezing cold. I thought I'd have to get a taxi home, not that I even have the money for that.

blacklilly wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire thread, I just don't have time, what with having to work and all, anyway, I digress.

I have more of an issue with property tax and USC tbh, yet I didn't see or hear the level of protesting we are now witnessing when these charges came into effect.

Could it be assumed that the reason there is the level of protesting we are witnessing with regards to the water charges, be due to the possibility that a large proportion of those who are protesting don't pay USC, property tax etc?

This is what I have been thinking since the protest started.

They realised too late, but trying to introduce a charge which will impact pretty much every single person is the country was political suicide in the current environment.

• Advertisement

blacklilly wrote: »

Water charges were just a catalyst. the reason is nearly 7 years of austerity measures aimed at the middle and lower classes, while the rich once again benefit from a massive wealth shift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement