Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

the sentiment amongst most of my working mates was 'if it can help change things then whats 1 evening of travel chaos?'

all joyfully working and paying their taxes.

none needed taxis yesterday. once you got to christchurch, busses were running that direction.

Didn't hear one person say that in work today. The water protest didn't cause the traffic problems last night.

Most people were well prepared for the main water protest marches and the disruption they were due/likely to cause.

No one was prepared for the traffic chaos that was caused by sudo republican rent a mob knuckle draggers sitting on O'Connell Bridge and Abbey St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Next month income tax rates drop.

Most workers will benefit far more than the €160 that IW will cost.

For the past 7 years taxes and charges have risen, wages have been lowered, working hours increased.

And we are expected to be grateful for a few quid in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bob24 wrote: »
    This is what I have been thinking since the protest started.

They realised too late, but trying to introduce a charge which will impact pretty much every single person is the country was political suicide in the current environment.
    There seems to be a mass of people who are angry with everything and just looking for something to latch onto.

There's plenty of people who like living on state handouts who object to being asked to pay for anything.

There's a group of Republicans who like causing as much trouble as possible.

There's a mobilisation of Sinn Fein supporters once they spotted an opportunity.

There's a small minority of people who object to the way IW itself has been set up.

There's a small group of hard-left TDs who have hijacked the protests for their own agenda.

It's very like the Seanad vote - a load of people, all voting the same way for completely different reasons, with no coherent idea as to what exactly it is they are looking for. This sort of incoherent rage causes a vacuum, and people like SF & the SWP rush in to be seen as leading the charge. Listening to them would be a stupid way to try and run a country, this is why we have elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Trond wrote: »
    Didn't hear one person say that in work today. The water protest didn't cause the traffic problems last night.

Most people were well prepared for the main water protest marches and the disruption they were due/likely to cause.

No one was prepared for the traffic chaos that was caused by sudo republican rent a mob knuckle draggers sitting on O'Connell Bridge and Abbey St.

im not claiming they supported the action, none of us did. but they just didnt see it as something to get hysterical about like some are.

and i know there were many many situations were people got fck'd on a really cold night. again, i feel terrible for them. they got caught up in something that had nothing to do with the real protest.

but in the case of people i know that got caught, they werent overly bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

hju6 wrote: »
    For the past 7 years taxes and charges have risen, wages have been lowered, working hours increased.

Don't forget the other few quid, the €100 bribe, that FG/Lab will pay you for signing up and paying your water tax.
    You won't get that until September, at the earliest, though.

Never thought I'd see the day when a government would so blatantly use bribes to get people to pay a tax.

These tossers have no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Don't worry about him, he's at the same game for weeks now. I have a distinct feeling that the money for his water wouldn't be coming out of his pocket even if he was going to pay it. My guess is single, under 20, unemployed, living with parents.

There's a couple more of the shouty ones like Tony AH and Tinkerbell that you won't get any sense out of. I've time for some of them but I think these in particular are purposely losing support for the movement. They're just at odds with everything and water charges are the face they're putting on it. Much like many of the other protestors.

You just love your guesses don't you and labelling people keep going because your so wide of the mark it makes you look completely clueless although by your posts you are doing a fine job by yourself and don't need my help

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

maximoose wrote: »
    I like how you edited it from "act of terrorism" to "attempted murder", you should never go 100% bullshît. 70% seems safe.

it was an act of verminry, terrorism, attempted murder, thuggery, criminality, and the rest. they're was and is no excuse or defence for it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Don't forget the other few quid, the €100 bribe, that FG/Lab will pay you for signing up and paying your water tax.
    You won't get that until September, at the earliest, though.

Never thought I'd see the day when a government would so blatantly use bribes to get people to pay a tax.

These tossers have no shame.

You do realise the reason for the rebate, rather than just charging less?

And no- it's not a bribe.

Most workers.

Being the operative words ofc

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

For the past 7 years taxes and charges have risen, wages have been lowered, working hours increased

Indeed. It's called a recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

hmmm wrote: »
    There seems to be a mass of people who are angry with everything and just looking for something to latch onto.

There's plenty of people who like living on state handouts who object to being asked to pay for anything.

There's a mobilisation of Sinn Fein supporters once they spotted an opportunity.

There's a small minority of people who object to the way IW itself has been set up.

There's a small group of hard-left TDs who have hijacked the protests for their own agenda.

It's very like the Seanad vote - a load of people, all voting the same way for completely different reasons, with no coherent idea as to what exactly it is they are looking for. This sort of incoherent rage causes a vacuum, and people like SF & the SWP rush in to be seen as leading the charge. Listening to them would be a stupid way to try and run a country, this is why we have elections.

Exactly - and it is the perfect opportunity as these groups know they can count on various level of support from the public because the change is impacting everyone.

Would not happen with property tax as half the groups you mentioned would have though "f**k the rich/landlords".

And there's a hell of a lot of people who just vote for the same incompetents over and over again, incompetents who have brought us to the situation we are in now, and when the incompetents raise and make up new taxes to cover the mess they have made, the same dumb voters clamour to pay and defend the taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

This is my issue, from my observation on these protesters many are not hit in terms of prsi, usc, property tax etc and the suggestion of them paying for a service (any service) has them in utter revolt.

Obviously I've no idea what happend in that incident, but looking at that video it struck me that many people would be terrified to be surrounded by people with their faces masked, waving republican flags and acting agressively to block the road. If I thought for a minute that myself or my kids were at risk I'd have no hesitation in driving through them.
    so you're as bad then, you're a terrorist? grand so

Hundreds of thousands of people who didn't join your protest were trying to get home after a hard day at work. The people forced into paying for taxis were those who get the LUAS/bus into work and wouldn't exactly be loaded.

Never was so much owed by so many because of so few.

People don't seem to be to pushed when there forced to pay for Taxis home when there pissed out of the heads on a Saturday night, but because it was scummers on a bridge it was an inconvenience to get home

:rolleyes:

Shin

Don't worry about him, he's at the same game for weeks now. I have a distinct feeling that the money for his water wouldn't be coming out of his pocket even if he was going to pay it. My guess is single, under 20, unemployed, living with parents.

There's a couple more of the shouty ones like Tony AH and Tinkerbell that you won't get any sense out of. I've time for some of them but I think these in particular are purposely losing support for the movement. They're just at odds with everything and water charges are the face they're putting on it. Much like many of the other protestors.

LOL,
    I pay more tax in this banana republic in a month than you do in a full year, I'd wager.
    IW will be destroyed, don't worry about that and you can pigeon hole people as much as you like on here.
    You just look foolish doing it.

Plates wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that one up, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Views From The Foreign Press...

How the world saw Ireland’s water charge protests.

Reports from US to China say ‘austerity-weary Irish people’ have had enough.

yeah I have had enough of all the freeloaders! If this whole Irish water debacle has done anything, it has only further fuelled my disgust at the sheer amount of wasters here. If they are so unhappy, and a few euro a week is going to make or break them, I strongly suggest doing something about your situation!

blacklilly wrote: »
    This is my issue, from my observation on these protesters many are not hit in terms of prsi, usc, property tax etc and the suggestion of them paying for a service (any service) has them in utter revolt.

in otherwords were back to the dissident dole scummers argument, round and round we go where it stops everyone knows

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Plates wrote: »

seemed like it was quite a selective recession.

recession in itself is going to hurt the middle & working classes more than the rich. seems counter-intuitive for government to go after the people the recession actually affects rather than the ones who could actually help prop up the hardest hit areas of society without it hurting too much.

but then again that would require a government with a shred of empathy. something FG have shown they clearly have no time for.

• Advertisement

shinzon wrote: »
    People don't seem to be to pushed when there forced to pay for Taxis home when there pissed out of the heads on a Saturday night, but because it was scummers on a bridge it was an inconvenience to get home

Shin

Well unless you'd rather people drink drive, then the only option for many is to pay for a taxi after a night out.

I don't see any relevance in your post:confused:

nonsense. tony a is one of the best contributers here.

You pro water tax lads really don't have a clue about the make up of the crowd yesterday, do you?
    I'm beginning to see some traits when it comes to you lads, the same traits that exist in our glorious CS/PS.......
    Keep the trough full at all costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Eagerly awaiting your superior alternative to governments balancing their budget.

How would you make a€12bn primary deficit disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was on a bus through town at lunch time yesterday when they first started blocking the bridge, bus driver said we had to get off. Really felt for the guy sitting next to me with crutches and one leg, hope he didn't have far to go.

Couldn't get a bus out in the evening, went to abbey St and told to walk to smithfield in the freezing cold for the Luas, inconvenient for me but a group of elderly women at the stop looked very worried.

I walked a long way home and was cold and tired but at least I could. Not everyone is able to walk or cycle like so many suggest.

in otherwords were back to the dissident dole scummers argument, round and round we go where it stops everyone knows

Shin

No not at all, you'll see from my post that I have used the word "many" as of course there are working people who are against these charges also.

I have no issue paying my taxes and I am happy that my taxes go to pay for welfare for people that need it. My issue is there are some people who expect everything to be paid for them and that is entirely sickening.

Can't work or won't work?

Well unless you'd rather people drink drive, then the only option for many is to pay for a taxi after a night out.

I don't see any relevance in your post:confused:

Perhaps because there paying money and don't crib about it, but suddenly its more money when they have to get a taxi home to avoid the protests, you know the criminality of having a bit of sense

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Theres a lot to be angry about to be fair. Just look at the state of the HSE. The rot starts from the top. Also look at the countless white collar criminals getting away scot free at the hands of Government appointed judges. Thats just a snap shot of a couple of issues and believe me the list is long.

FG and FF need to be condemned to the dustbins of history. Two sets of treacherous pricks with their snouts firmly in the the troughs. Personally I am looking for a new centre-right party because what is there have shown to be abject, corrupt failures.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah I have had enough of all the freeloaders! If this whole Irish water debacle has done anything, it has only further fuelled my disgust at the sheer amount of wasters here. If they are so unhappy, and a few euro a week is going to make or break them, I strongly suggest doing something about your situation!

Another lad branding all protesters as the same.
    Another trait worthy of our CS/PS....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Shin

What an utterly retarded point of view to hold.

They blocked the Luas ffs.

Have you got an answer to that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement