Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

hmmm wrote: »
    The organisers for this gathering have shown their complete contempt for anyone with a job by holding it on a working day. I think we know now who is complaining about water charges and who the protestors hope to foist the bill onto.

It will be interesting to see whether any "ordinary" people turn up to support those who will aim to throw bricks at the Guards and spit at politicians.

We're damned if we do, damned if we don't. We've been criticized for holding protests only on days when the Dail isn't in session, now we're being criticized for holding one when the Dail is in session.

I'm in college myself but I fully intend to go to this protest during my lunch break, two of my friends working full time intend to do the same. So no, a protest held on a weekday is not an explicit f*ck you to those who work or study full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Umm I work and I'll be at the protest. Shift work isn't real work is it?

Will you keep an eye on my bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Nah, I'll be working - someone has to pay for their dole.

Again keep it up. Your side are losing the battle with childish comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

gladrags wrote: »
    Why?

Will you be there?

Are you Enda Kenny?
    I have heard that last week the guards were baton training in full riot gear.

garhjw wrote: »
    Will you keep an eye on my bike?

You've a job right? Pay someone to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I'v just viewed yet another discussion on water charges on RTE Primetime, Gemma Hussey (retired Minister living on a big fat pension) making a statement, ''we're the only country in the world that doesn't have water charges'' my answer to that is, ''we're the only country in the world that has a UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE''
    Now in my dictionary, the word universal means, all inclusive, I will pay for water, but not on the double, I pay over 2,000 euro a year on UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE, I'm surprise the anti water charge lobby is not making more of this.
    If we are to have seperate charges, the the UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE, has to go, the Government can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

I hope 1 of the "protestors" doesn't rob or vandalise my bicycle. I lock it up in town when I am WORKING

I work too but am taking a HALF DAY to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

no it doesn't. Brendan ogle is a great man and one of irelands best trade unionists. he is a man who you need on your side, who will fight for you no matter what by whatever way he can
    The anti water charges crowd have made a big mistake this week by letting Murphy and his crew become the face of the opposition - lobbing bricks at guards and imprisoning the Tanaiste are terrible tactics if you want to get the middle class on your side. If they had someone like Ogle leading the opposition, who is an awful lot smarter, the government would have been in serious trouble.

Personally I think the worst has passed for the government - there seems to be quite a few hotheads who will want to turn the Dail and Dublin city centre into a battleground on the 10th, and that's going to be the end of the protests as they will lose the ordinary public. The vast majority are not going to support anarchy for the sake of 160 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

And my pension - cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes dear, that's right.

it is right.

[QUOTE=garhjw;93092307Paul Murphy is a commie.[/QUOTE]

no he isn't.

[QUOTE=garhjw;93092307Why do you think water charges are so high? To pay for the bloated salaries and pensions negotiated by unions.[/QUOTE]

wrong. its to ensure the company is proffitable to try remove funding for water from general taxation.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

You've a job right? Pay someone to do it.

I wouldn't need someone to look at it if there weren't going to be so many gougers in town.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Why do you respond to idiotic posts? He's like a boring 'Barely There'.

If any of us manages to educate even one anti-activist bigot about the true nature of activism, it's well worth it in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I wouldn't need someone to look at it if there weren't going to be so many gougers in town.

You're ok, they'll be too busy filling out expense forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Which town?

Arrangements all "negotiated" by trade unions pressuring weak governments.
    its not. i know you have a hatred of anyone who can stand up for employees but you will stop making up nonsense about our trade unions

its not. i know you have a hatred of anyone who can stand up for employees but you will stop making up nonsense about our trade unions
    Will trade unions be joining you on the 10th? If not, why not? Because if you don't know, I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Red Pepper wrote: »
    You're for the birds. I think you are suffering from Stockholm Syndrone.

Figures from the Department of the Environment show that Mr David O’Connor, the retired manager of Fingal County Council, is to receive a lump sum payment of €296,082. He had one of the top local government jobs in the country, receiving an annual salary of €150,977 — second only to the €175,721 received by the manager of Dublin City Council. Mr O’Connor was appointed to the post in 2006 and will receive annual pension payments of €73,394.

Guess where David works??

First time iv seen him called "David" :D LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Will trade unions be joining you on the 10th? If not, why not? Because if you don't know, I can tell you.

Unite and Mandate will, plus more.

Given that siptu represent the IW workers, i;d say it's too much of a conflict of interest for them.. plus its siptu.

The organisers for this gathering have shown their complete contempt for anyone with a job by holding it on a working day.

i've known for a long time that you have contempt for the poorer in society and those who dare to stand up and try change their situation
    I think we know now who is complaining about water charges and who the protestors hope to foist the bill onto.

we don't. you think you know but you're wrong
    It will be interesting to see whether any "ordinary" people turn up to support those who will aim to throw bricks at the Guards and spit at politicians.

not everyone does that but don't let facts get in the way of your bile. to answer the question, many "ordinary" people have turned up and many probably will continue to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The anti water charges crowd have made a big mistake this week by letting Murphy and his crew become the face of the opposition - lobbing bricks at guards and imprisoning the Tanaiste are terrible tactics if you want to get the middle class on your side. If they had someone like Ogle leading the opposition, who is an awful lot smarter, the government would have been in serious trouble.

Personally I think the worst has passed for the government - there seems to be quite a few hotheads who will want to turn the Dail and Dublin city centre into a battleground on the 10th, and that's going to be the end of the protests as they will lose the ordinary public. The vast majority are not going to support anarchy for the sake of 160 quid.

you are very much mistaken my friend, if anything it will escalate even further, this is one campaign that the people will win...no matter how many lies the mainstream media come out with or tripe spouted by the shambles of a government who will try every dirty trick going, they are in terminal decline.

• Advertisement

we don't. you think you know but you're wrong
    Who else other than the taxpayer (and our kids who will pay for our borrowings) do you think is going to pay for the water you refuse to pay for? The bill is going to land on income tax, as usual.

That's no way to talk about working class people like myself who are making the effort to take a stand against these charges. But hey if it makes you feel better go ahead.

i predict massive numbers to turn out on the 10th with anyone lucky enough to have a job taking the whole or half day off, and descending en masse , no matter what crap they come out with the only way is for this quango to be completely scrapped, and for this shambles of a government to call a general election where they will get wiped out.

its not just over 160 quid. this is for all the nonsense and corruption this country has been involved in and facilitated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The bricks thrown in Tallaght had nothing to do with the sit down protest. The story according to Justine McCarthy of Sunday Times is that a separate arrest was made which sparked the brick throwing. However the Sindo wound the brick throwing photos into the main protest story. It suits of course - DOB influence, clearly lacking objectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its not just over 160 quid. this is for all the nonsense and corruption this country has been involved in and facilitated

and protecting our future and our kid's future by standing up and saying 'NO' for once.

dunno if it's already been posted as this thread moves so quickly

http://www.thejournal.ie/coolock-garda-station-1787205-Nov2014/

i commend these women for coming out against garda brutality, the gutter media and government can try and spout as much crap as they want about "dark forces at work" but the darkest force of all are many members of the garda who think of nothing of using major excessive force against peaceful protesters, and boosting their arrest figures by arresting peaceful protesters, instead of being out clearing Dublin city of heroin dealers and junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha and thanked by madcon with his 5 posts.
    You guys must be bucking that the Govt are on the back foot.
    Daddy might put you to bed early as he's not happy the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    I see the people in Navan are getting ready to welcome him there at 8pm
    He's due in your neck of the woods on Friday I hear.

Ah yes , indeed.

Plans are afoot for a "rebel" kidnapping Friday :D LoL

Can't wait :p

• Advertisement

You talk as if the entire mass of anti-charge activists took some kind of ballot and elected Paul Murphy as our leader. He did what he did. Nobody asked him to do it. How exactly are we supposed to not "let" him and his crew become the face of the opposition? The media will focus on what the media wants to focus on.

We'll see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement