Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pps numbers mysteriously no longer required.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I know they are, I was addressing the people who persist with this them-and-us attitudes. Politicians are no different from us, or they weren't at one time and it's useless to pretend otherwise or to act as if we are somehow superior in our morals and beliefs and policies than they were or are.

Sorry read/ interpreted your post wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

1 item removed from the list.

Lets keep going we have them on the run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

VinLieger wrote: »
    Allright go get a clear line to run at Obama's car and see what happens, firstly you wouldn't get that close cus you would have secret service on top of you BUT if you did get past the first line the next line would have their guns out and be firing already.

Why is anybody comparing getting a clear line and running at Barak Obama's car (The President of the United States of America), to a woman standing outside the Dail in a protest walking in front of the Taoiseachs car with Gardaí all around?

And you speak of perspective?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Had it on the tv for about 3 minutes before I had to turn it off. Bunch of ****ing clowns, it's like something out of Monty Python.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Allyall wrote: »
    Why is anybody comparing getting a clear line and running at Barak Obama's car (The President of the United States of America), to a woman standing outside the Dail in a protest walking in front of the Taoiseachs car with Gardaí all around?

Lets not forget that Enda Kenny earns far more than Barak Obama

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Did'nt give it
    W'ont give it
    And w'ont be paying for it either.

Yer man on TV right now looks out of hid depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ah Alan, leave ir out! You should have sorted the RAW SEWAGE issue out years ago! Fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

howiya wrote: »

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

15 times more I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

madcabbage wrote: »
    Pathetic behaviour to not let the man finish. 2yr olds would behave better!

ye we'll see a completely different level of respect from the government TD's when the opposition parties get to reply..

or maybe not....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Had it on the tv for about 3 minutes before I had to turn it off. Bunch of ****ing clowns, it's like something out of Monty Python.

Benny Hill show more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

madcabbage wrote: »
    Pathetic behaviour to not let the man finish. 2yr olds would behave better!

That is our political class and it is embarrassing. TDs firing 'witty' one liners across the floor trying to get a laugh out of their mates. Like something you would see in secondary school or Pat Shortts Killinascully. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Allyall wrote: »

Perhaps because she got a clear line at the Taoiseach's (our Head of State) car she did in fact run at it not once but twice and was removed by the Gardai?

She wasn't just standing there doing nothing you know.

So?

Perhaps Barak Obama receives all the additional protection in lieu of salary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Perhaps because she got a clear line at the Taoiseach's (our Head of State) car she did in fact run at it not once but twice and was removed by the Gardai?

She wasn't just standing there doing nothing you know.

I never said she was.

I don't get why somebody would compare the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Stick your fingers in your ears and shout LA LA LA

I believe that makes everything stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

VinLieger wrote: »
    Allright go get a clear line to run at Obama's car and see what happens, firstly you wouldn't get that close cus you would have secret service on top of you BUT if you did get past the first line the next line would have their guns out and be firing already.

Do I need to post the video of the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan again? Where he and two others were shot, and police & secret service simply jumped on and restrained the would-be killer rather than fire back at him?

Or the one of the guy throwing shoes at Bush..? Again no shots fired.

How about the story in which an armed man got into an elevator with Obama... was he shot?

No, someone wouldn't get shot for standing in front of a president's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frippy

I think the new charges and measures announced seem pretty reasonable.

Will they be enough to calm things down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hmmm, the brother of the worst leader this nation has ever had now the first to respond. Cool. Time to switch the telly off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If by far more you mean about half as much then yes he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

frippy wrote: »

Nope.

There is political capital to make.

Why should landlords have to become debt collectors? Can they charge IW for their time?

If you're a tenant, expect it to take much longer getting your deposit back whilst checks are made or worse again, you're deposit increases to offset the yearly charge.

Another balls up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

If you repeat this enough times perhaps someone will eventually believe you :rolleyes:

It's not a lie. It's a policy to neutralize anyone aggressive who gets close to POTUS. Watched a few docs on it and it's pretty well known.

Here's a video of Obama doing a walkabout. At 1:45 a person who is happy, smiling and jogging slowly up to the president to shake his hand (clearly not a threat).

Now watch all the secret service guys - jackets open, hands all go up to their midsection to draw their weapon in a split second. All have their eyes locked on the dude. And this is on a supervised walkabout towards a friendly civilian who just approached in an unusual but friendly way.

The presidents security detail in the US is insane. They scout out locations months before he visits. Known threats and local loonies get "sat with" - a process where two secret service agents will show up to your house and watch TV with you while the president is in town (not kidding). Snipers all around him at all times. And a huge undercover and visible armed guards along with whatever other secrets they don't reveal.

All of that is not done so you can get a friendly hug when you charge a him shouting angry obscenities.

The reason why it never happens is because he lives in a sterile bubble 99% of the time. We experienced it here a few years ago when he visited FFS. It was like an invasion of special forces, secret service agents and cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

"A world leader in its field" :D

frippy wrote: »

I'm on the No side simply because we are already paying for water. It was never free as some people will have you believe. Nothing other than the abolition of water charges will satisfy me but that's my own personal opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

When there are no riots, will you admit you haven't got a clue what you are talking about?

But there will be riots. I read on the internet that the government has asked the CIA to infiltrate the protestors, cause riots and therefore discredit the NO campaign. It's its on the internet it must be true.

MOD: Take a few days off for ignoring mod instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Yeah, because the level of debate surrounding IW has been so level headed. Real sensible policies put forward by the opposition with detailed plans and workable policies.

People vote with their wallets, not with their heads. The first job of ANY politicians (even our beloved hard-left crusading rebels) is to get re-elected. No unpopular bill would pass despite the necessity of the circumstances.
    I actually missed that three hour debate in the Dail. Was there an opportunity to put forward real sensible policies?
    Dean0088 wrote: »
    The Dáil doesn't allow the government to govern un-hindered. They often fail to get bills through or can only get bills through once revised to suit as many sides as possible - that's democracy: compromise. This mornings new is a fine example of that.

That Dáil is not there to tell the government how to do it's job, it's to make sure there's a proportional debate and say on policy based on elected officials, not the electorate. The electorate don't know how to run a country.

I will try to refrain from turning this to an off-topic discussion about the whip system --- I might start a new thread about that some time --- but with reference to IW, do you know that FG with the assistance of the whipped Labour reps who had promised voters that they would fight water charges guillotined the 2013 IW legislation through the Dail, disallowing "compromise" and "proportional debate"? The IW legislation that was so disastrously flawed, it is forcing a complete climbdown and may indeed spell the end of this government?
    "That in respect of each and every sections undisposed of, the section is herebyagreed in Committee, The Title is hereby agreed in Committee, the Bill isaccordingly reported to the House without amendment, Fourth Stage is herebycompleted and the Bill is hereby passed.”

That’s what a parliamentary guillotine sounds like. That’s how the official Dáil record recounts the imposition of the guillotine on the Water Services (No.2) Bill 2013.

This is the piece of legislation that handed our water system to Irish Water. In fact it is a guillotine upon a guillotine: the impact of these words was to both end the committee stage of the legislation and ensure there would be no report stage at all.

Large pieces of legislation are usually dealt with in the Dáil over weeks or months to allow time for adequate consideration and to enable amendments to be drafted and introduced where weaknesses are identified. However, the Water Service (No.2) Bill 2013 was rushed through all stages in the Dáil over four hours on December 19th last.

When minister Ruairí Quinn, standing in for the Taoiseach and Tánaiste, proposed this truncated timetable for the legislation at the Order of Business that morning there wasn’t just the usual proforma resistance from the Opposition; their was genuine anger at the pace at which this important legislation was to be rammed through.
    Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin told the Ceann Comhairle that “given the fundamental disrespect for parliamentary democracy”, his party had no intention of “participating in thecharade” and he led his TDs out of the House. Sinn Féin and most of theIndependents also absented themselves from the debate.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-where-it-all-went-wrong-1.1974698?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Why should landlords have to become debt collectors? Can they charge IW for their time?

If you're a tenant, expect it to take much longer getting your deposit back whilst checks are made or worse again, you're deposit increases to offset the yearly charge.

Another balls up imo.

No idea where that 'holding onto a deposit' ****e came out of but it's definitely fuel to the fire.

For instance, people have been changing owners on cars for years (when the car is out of tax for months) in order to avoid paying the back tax.

I know it's not the same thing but it's like buying a car and then getting hit with a bill for the back tax.

The Dail is more like a circus now and this announcement is the complete opposite of what should have been done. Nobody in FG/labour will be in government come next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ebbsy wrote: »
    Did'nt give it
    W'ont give it
    And w'ont be paying for it either.

Yer man on TV right now looks out of hid depth.

Oh I'll pay my metered water bill, just like I pay all my other utilities. But they weren't gonna get my pps number as there was absolutely no logical justification for them having it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement