Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

frippy wrote: »
    I think the new charges and measures announced seem pretty reasonable.

Will they be enough to calm things down?

Its the equivalent of the Govt whispering sweet niceties in your ear, just before they Roger you hard from behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These changes seem reasonable to me. 80 for two of us per year is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,218 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dean0088 wrote: »
    There's a video of a single protester tyring to grab Sarcozy's ties when he was in office in France. He was shaking hands with people along a barricade when this fool lunged at him. The dude was taken down in a split second and dozens of security (most undercover) dived on him, guns drawn, pinning him down before being cuffed, shirt ripped off to check for weapons/device and dragged away within seconds.

This, as opposed to a push off an unarmed garda.

Yeah. Real fascist dictatorship we have here in Ireland these days!!! :eek: :P

what about the jogger who ran into davey?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2014/oct/27/david-cameron-protester-leeds-video

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

frippy wrote: »
    I think the new charges and measures announced seem pretty reasonable.

Will they be enough to calm things down?

Nope too many items to still be addressed. Plus people are sensing the Government is in free fall, this is far from over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

What a climbdown by the government. Spineless.
    It is great to see what people power can do in this Banana Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Oh I'll pay my metered water bill, just like I pay all my other utilities. But they weren't gonna get my pps number as there was absolutely no logical justification for them having it.

Did they announce its continuation for S/W recipients?

Or omitted altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why don't they just call a referendum on this issue and let democracy decide whether these charges come in? Its quite simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why are people obsessed with shooting protestors ? they accuse the anti side of tinfoil hattery yet go off on a fantasy land "what if she had a gun" Really.... really. Most dangerous thing I has seen is 1 Brick 1 water balloon and someone in their car completely safe surrounded by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd like to see some confirmation as to when the grant is actually paid. Is it only after the full year bill has been paid? Or do you get it before then?

What happens in rental accommodation where people move out and into new accommodation throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Dean0088 wrote: »
    video of Obama doing a walkabout.

I presume you're about to follow up with a video of Marie-Louise Coleiro or Kaj Johannesen or Tshering Tobgay etc..?

As they surely would be equally relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why don't they just call a referendum on this issue and let democracy decide whether these charges come in? Its quite simple really.

Why not have a referendum on every bill, tax change or expenditure modification that comes before the Dáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

howiya wrote: »
    Perhaps Barak Obama receives all the additional protection in lieu of salary

How much do you think an American president makes when they leave office? They make up for it on the speech circuit.

http://www.davemanuel.com/how-much-money-does-bill-clinton-make-from-giving-speeches-158/
    According to Hillary Clinton's filing that covers the 2011 calendar year, former President Bill Clinton gave 54 speeches last year.

Bill Clinton made a total of $13,434,000 for his 54 speeches, which works out to an average of $248,777.78 per speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/george-w-bush-racks-15-million-speaking-fees-192157129.html
    Bush spokesman David Sherzer tells iWatch News that Bush has earned at least $15 million for nearly 140 paid speeches since he left office in Jan. 2009. That's an average of about $110,000 per speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Lets not forget that Enda Kenny earns far more than Barak Obama

Commonly thought, but incorrect. Kenny gets €200,000, Obama gets $400,000 (currently around €319,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I will try to refrain from turning this to a discussion about the whip system --- I might start a new thread about that some time --- but with reference to IW, do you know that FG with the assistance of the whipped Labour reps who had promised voters that they would fight water charges guillotined the 2013 IW legislation through the Dail, disallowing "compromise" and "proportional debate"? That IW legislation that was so disastrously flawed, it is forcing a complete climbdown and may indeed spell the end of this government.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-where-it-all-went-wrong-1.1974698?page=1

So FG mess up and will likely not be in the next government. Isn't that democracy?

Do you really want every single bill to be voted upon by the wishes of the average voter who knows nothing about the bill? It's fine for cherry picked issues (which is why we have referendums), but the idea of a non-whip system would be a dáil that does less than they already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Daith wrote: »
    I'd like to see some confirmation as to when the grant is actually paid. Is it only after the full year bill has been paid? Or do you get it before then?

What happens in rental accommodation where people move out and into new accommodation throughout the year.

Do you honestly think they have though this out fully yet. They are making it up as the go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Daith wrote: »

Seemed clear enough that it is retrospective, as he said applications would begin next September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Red Pepper wrote: »
    What a climbdown by the government. Spineless.
    It is great to see what people power can do in this Banana Republic.

No stopping us. The USC will be next to go once IW is abolished.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Oh I'll pay my metered water bill, just like I pay all my other utilities. But they weren't gonna get my pps number as there was absolutely no logical justification for them having it.

If that's the case will you not be paying for the flat fee that is being brought in first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

What happens to people who already pay for water? Can't seem to find any info on that aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jaysus it's like looking into a classroom of 14 year olds, roaring and shouting. 'Hilarious' comments from both sides :rolleyes:

Edit: where the feck did everyone go, feckin half day!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Allyall wrote: »
    I never said she was.

I don't get why somebody would compare the two.

Maybe I read it wrong. You did seem to be implying as much.

I think people are just making the point that if some-one did what she did to any other head of state in the world the local law enforcement officials would have been much harder on them than the Gardai were in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

These changes seem reasonable to me. 80 for two of us per year is fine by me.

For how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

FF cannot preach about honesty in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Gringo180 wrote: »

It really isn't. Why not have a referendum on every piece of unpopular legislation?

We'd all pay no tax and get loads of welfare, that's why. People are motivated to look after themselves first, everyone else second. That's why we have a state, not a commune - to act against this human trait.

If everyone got an equal vote on every issue, the middle class in this country would simply stop paying the nation's bills and the country would collapse. They're the hardest hit over the past few years and yet they pay the most tax. It's the whip system which keeps the country moving through bad time and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lets not forget that Enda Kenny earns far more than Barak Obama

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States
    Since 2001, the president has earned a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment. The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and President Bill Clinton in 1999 and went into effect in 2001.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/how-much-money-does-the-president-make/
    President Barack Obama earns a base salary of $400,000 per year. He is also given a few nice bonuses like an annual expense account, a travel account and a $20,000 entertainment stipend. These fringe benefits bring the President's total salary to just over $550,000 each year.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-ministers-public-servants-pay-cuts-976714-Jul2013/
    The new measures mean that Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s pay drops from €200,000 to €185,350

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If that's the case will you not be paying for the flat fee that is being brought in first?
    If I dont, it appears my landlord will take it out of my deposit, so either way, yes I will be paying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why not have a referendum on every bill, tax change or expenditure modification that comes before the Dáil?

Why does every bill, tax change or expenditure modification create mass protests against them, perhaps the biggest protests in the history of the state? This is worthy of a referendum make no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

They've created more problems for themselves. The shambles that is Irish Water is on it's last legs.

The majority of people in this country have not registered. The majority of the people that have registered, have now decided that they won't pay.

Everyone in favour of metered water will now have to join the protest movement as metered water as been done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Maybe I read it wrong. You did seem to be implying as much.

I think people are just making the point that if some-one did what she did to any other head of state in the world the local law enforcement officials would have been much harder on them than the Gardai were in this case.

As mentioned, nobody seems to be comparing to Marie Louise Coleiro, or Kaj Johannesen etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jaysus it's like looking into a classroom of 14 year olds, roaring and shouting. 'Hilarious' comments from both sides :rolleyes:

Edit: where the feck did everyone go, feckin half day!?

Are ye watching a Dail debate and if so, please send link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement