Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The question that needs to be asked is why don't they want a referendum on the issue? We are due a referendum shortly so why not add it to that?

Some might say that this government want/need to leave the possibility of a sale open

Referendums are traditionally just for constitutional changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

All tax is theft.

But the Irish want big government & big benefits.
    It gotsta be paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The question that needs to be asked is why don't they want a referendum on the issue? We are due a referendum shortly so why not add it to that?

Some might say that this government want/need to leave the possibility of a sale open

Because a monopoly should not be written into the constitution. If you need a referendum for water provision why not also the police force, prison service, electric grid, gas network and health service?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Referendums are traditionally just for constitutional changes.

I think that's his point.
    To have it written into the constitution, that it cannot be privatised.

How could a country with virtually no defence budget get so hopelessly in debt, good lord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What services would you like cut so that we can balance the books? Country is still running at a deficit and we're borrowing to keep the lights on.

Quangos and office administration, Too much of both. They overlap anyway thus no accountability..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Seriously aren't people pissed off with this.

From the sounds of things you've got a handle on the lunatic outrage side of things. Just seems redundant for anyone else to get worked up about it when you've already got it covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

gladrags wrote: »
    Irish water has now replaced Oliver Cromwell,as the most hated two words in Irish history.

Ah now, It's an FG joke, an FG sham and an FG scam ok but I wouldn't go that far....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Benteke wrote: »
    An anti-water charge protester is set to lodge a complaint against Gardai after she was thrown towards a bollard.

Fiona Healy, 33, from Baldoyle in Dublin, was grabbed and forcibly removed by officers after heading towards Enda Kenny's car at an anti-water charge demonstration at Dublin's Mansion House on Sunday.

In a video that surfaced on Facebook, gardai were shown pulling Fiona away from the Fine Gael leader's vehicle and apparently flinging her towards a bollard.

The clip cuts away at the moment of supposed impact but Fiona is shown on the ground at the bollard a second later.

Speaking today, she said she planned to raise the matter with the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission, which deals with complaints about gardai.

She told RTE Radio One she was "quite badly bruised" on the hip.

Skipped a bit did we?

"Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland programme Fiona Healy of Baldoyle Anti-Water Meter Task Force, said that while angry at her mistreatment – it was the action of one Garda that prevented her suffering a serious injury.He saved my life, that one did. The tall garda in the black. He saved my life because he pushed my head out of the way with his knee. "

"She went on to say that she would possibly be following up with a complaint to GSOC today."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Irish water has now replaced Oliver Cromwell,as the most hated two words in Irish history.

You've obviously never read a history book if you think Irish Water is anything close to Oliver Cromwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

All tax is theft.

But the Irish want big government & big benefits.
    It gotsta be paid for.

Big Government - yup we have that for sure ...

The Expenses
    The gravey train continues

They told us the gravey train was over
    But TDs are still claiming €7 million a year in expenses - on top of their hefty salaries. (And don't even mention the pensions)

Taken from the Indo - Sat 15/11/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Prsi,usc,vhi,property tax,land tax,motor tax,gift tax,excise tax,corporation tax, stamp duty tax,car insurance, house insurance, nct tax,dirt tax and the list goes on.feel free to add to it.
    So no, the answer is no we don't want another tax, which is all it is.
    Just dont pay it no matter how small they make it.

Thinly veiled 'I own property' post...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's about another tax being introduced. Ie water. We are swimming in the effing stuff.

Seriously aren't people pissed off with this.
    We're not swimming in treated, potable, piped-into-your-house water though, which is the stuff that costs.

Can see this thread being dragged waaaaaaay off topic (if it had one in the first place, mind you).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

VinLieger wrote: »
    She specifically states she was not thrown into a kerb on purpose and it was the guard attempting to stop her being harmed, also she said she possibly will make a complaint there's no definite about it.

You really should read it entirely without blanking out the parts you dont like

Where did she say that? Not in the link you provided, and it goes against what she said on radio yesterday ---- that 2 gardai had pulled her away, and she had no problem with that, and then a 3rd came over and needlessly flung her to the kerb (and headfirst towards the bollard).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Then you need a corresponding reduction in services.

Ha ha. I think you've forgotten to account for sinn feins magic money tree in your calculations.

You've obviously never read a history book if you think Irish Water is anything close to Oliver Cromwell.

He was making a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Fuhrer wrote: »
    How could a country with virtually no defence budget get so hopelessly in debt, good lord.

I always remember reading an article back around 2003 and basically the jist of it was Greater Manchester with a bigger population than the Republic had 1 health board. We had 11 !!! Make what you want of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    What services would you like cut so that we can balance the books? Country is still running at a deficit and we're borrowing to keep the lights on.

what about stopping the bank bail outs. .. that's what got us into this position in the first place so please don't start with the 'poor Government- what are they supposed to do?' posts....

Prsi,usc,vhi,property tax,land tax,motor tax,gift tax,excise tax,corporation tax, stamp duty tax,car insurance, house insurance, nct tax,dirt tax and the list goes on.feel free to add to it.
    So no, the answer is no we don't want another tax, which is all it is.
    Just dont pay it no matter how small they make it.

What are land tax and gift tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No it hasn't.

That murdering bastard will always be the most hated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

VinLieger wrote: »
    Skipped a bit did we?

"Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland programme Fiona Healy of Baldoyle Anti-Water Meter Task Force, said that while angry at her mistreatment – it was the action of one Garda that prevented her suffering a serious injury.He saved my life, that one did. The tall garda in the black. He saved my life because he pushed my head out of the way with his knee. "

"She went on to say that she would possibly be following up with a complaint to GSOC today."

The other one flung her like a rag doll, As for possibly, She has made the complaint and I hope that guard never works again in the force, Anyway that's me done, Stop trying to defend the indefensible

Get out Dec 10th

NO TO WATER CHARGES EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Kenny on Oireachtas TV now.. opened with the "reasonable people" bit they've been peddling the last few days again of course.

He is so wooden it's hard to tell him from the bench he's standing behind - the usual monotone reading from the script without any attempt to address the points raised beforehand.

Reference to inheriting the mess.. check. Good thing this isn't a drinking game!

They have obviously been coached.

Clearly short on empathy and any form of leadership.

Smears and dirty tricks.

Pathetic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Stolen from somewhere :cool:
    Capital Acquisitions Tax
    Capital Gains Tax
    Carbon tax on fuel
    Citizenship application fee
    Citizenship certification fee
    Community rating on private health insurance
    Corporation tax
    Customs tax on imported purchases /import duty
    Development Levies
    DIRT 41%
    Dog License
    Excise duty on alcohol and tobacco
    Fuel - Excise Duty, NORA Stock Levy
    Gift tax/CGT (generally a tax on money/assets that have already been taxed)
    Insurance policy levy 2% Motor & Home
    Local Property Tax
    NCT €55
    Passport Renewal Fee €80
    PAYE
    Plastic Bag Tax €0.22 per bag
    Private Pension Levy 0.75% in 2014 0.15% in 2015
    PRSI
    Public Service Obligation Levy
    TV Licence
    Septic tank charge
    Stamp Duty on ATM cards €2.50
    Stamp Duty on Credit Cards €30
    Stamp Duty on Cheques
    Stamp Duty on Mortgages (1%)
    Stamp Duty on Irish shares (1%)
    Motor Tax
    University registration fees
    USC
    VAT 23%/13.5%/9%
    VRT
    Water charges

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

iPink wrote: »
    what about stopping the bank bail outs. .. that's what got us into this position in the first place so please don't start with the 'poor Government- what are they supposed to do?' posts....

Bit late for that now, in fairness.

Also doesn't account for the need to broaden the tax base so that we don't get into that sort of a position again where we're almost totally dependent on property and income taxes, and both go wallop.

Anyway that's me done, Stop trying to defend the indefensible

Get out Dec 10th

I SUPPORT WATER CHARGES

Not the first time you've said you were done in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The other one flung her like a rag doll, As for possibly, She has made the complaint and I hope that guard never works again in the force, Anyway that's me done, Stop trying to defend the indefensible

Get out Dec 10th

NO TO WATER CHARGES EVER

So you dont want to pay for water ever? Would you be happy returning to the previous model of it being paid through taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'I own property' post...

Thinly veiled I've nothing worth while to say post.

@furher
    Look it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭costadeldole

I am on the dole, a total of 245 Euro per week.
    And I have signed up to pay come April 2015.
    I think the latest rate of 60 Euro per year for a single man (including the 100 dole rebate),
    is a fair one. 1.15 Euro per week. I don't have a problem with that, if it means a clean and reliable water supply.
    If this is capped until the end of 2018, then I think that is fair enough; so 60 per year for the next 3 years straight.
    The reality is that the dated Irish water system needs upgrading, and so its reasonable that the end service user, the man drinking then water; pays something towards the service provision and maintenance.
    Personally I think 60 Euro per year for a man on the dole is a fair amount. And this is coming from someone who gave up TV, so I don't need to pay for a TV licence.
    100 per year dole rebate is a fair amount too, paid every quarter. I think that is a fair contribution from the social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Crazygerry, you do realise vhi isn't a tax, and is completely voluntary?

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Stolen from somewhere :cool:
    Capital Acquisitions Tax
    Capital Gains Tax
    Carbon tax on fuel
    Citizenship application fee
    Citizenship certification fee
    Community rating on private health insurance
    Corporation tax
    Customs tax on imported purchases /import duty
    Development Levies
    DIRT 41%
    Dog License
    Excise duty on alcohol and tobacco
    Fuel - Excise Duty, NORA Stock Levy
    Gift tax/CGT (generally a tax on money/assets that have already been taxed)
    Insurance policy levy 2% Motor & Home
    Local Property Tax
    NCT €55
    Passport Renewal Fee €80
    PAYE
    Plastic Bag Tax €0.22 per bag
    Private Pension Levy 0.75% in 2014 0.15% in 2015
    PRSI
    Public Service Obligation Levy
    TV Licence
    Septic tank charge
    Stamp Duty on ATM cards €2.50