Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

The water charge is much fairer (and costs people much less) than abominations such as gift tax, DIRT and stamp duty etc that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

mikom wrote: »
    I have some land to sell that you might be interested in.
    You can come and view it when the tide goes out.

Lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ringfencing eh Joan? Like the HHC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

crazygeryy wrote: »
    It's about another tax being introduced. Ie water. We are swimming in the effing stuff.

Seriously aren't people pissed off with this.

Soooo, you started an Irish Water thread and we're meant to take you seriously?
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

The leaks are so bad it would take 200 years to fix them at 300km of pipes a year.

People don't realise how bad our water system is and we need to borrow to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Then you need a corresponding reduction in services.

No you don't but you need a reduction in how much these services cost i.e the following post .....
    gozunda wrote: »
    The Expenses
    The gravey train continues

They told us the gravey train was over
    But TDs are still claiming €7 million a year in expenses - on top of their hefty salaries. (And don't even mention the pensions)

Taken from the Indo - Sat 15/11/2014

This Government want us to pay to keep themselves and their high flying cronies on a different planet to the rest of us.

Using IW as an example - to pay the wages of the top 29 earners there will take the water payments of 14,000 households pre-perks and bonuses. After todays revision of figures that will change (upwards) but you get the gist.

Social Welfare also has to be looked at and in particular the monies being sent out of the country and who's sending it out.
    I can't find the link right now but European Central Bank figures for 2012 show €500m being sent by bank transfer from this country to Nigeria alone. No wonder they have so many Princes :D
    Also, Foreign Aid should be looked at. Borrowing to give money to other unfortunate peoples is crazy at a time like this. No problem when we have it but a big problem when we don't.
    It's our Taxes that go to pay for all of this including the ridiculous USC which is just Income Tax without allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

yipeeeee wrote: »

People don't realise how bad our water system is and we need to borrow to fix it.

Too bad Irish Water couldn't communicate this effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The water charge is much fairer (and costs people much less) than abominations such as gift tax, DIRT and stamp duty etc that's for sure.

Its much fairer now.

They have to get it accepted for general use, then they raise the price.

Stamp Duty and the like were all introduced at comparably low levels years ago and gradually increased to make up for budget short falls.

Just look at things like Third Level Fees, they're ten times what they were ten years ago.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    The leaks are so bad it would take 200 years to fix them at 300km of pipes a year.

We could have made a good start at it..............

But we blew it on a quango, consultants, meters, and bonuses almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The libertarians should try appealing to those who want to pay for nothing. Invariably those who receive the most. The loony left should try and work their magic on the real working class. Those that pay for things.
    Really weird dichotomies going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

crazygeryy wrote: »
    It's about another tax being introduced. Ie water. We are swimming in the effing stuff.

Seriously aren't people pissed off with this.

If you feel like living off untreated rain water, yes.

If not, grow up and stop believing everything Mary Lou tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Who is this Coleman Sheehy that's on the IW board.. and how did he get there?

http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/the-board/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ringfencing eh Joan? Like the HHC?

And the LPT, ringfenced to set up this joke of a quango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Someone said earlier it was obvious that they've all been coached on talking points and phrases like "Reasonable People"

It will be interesting to see which journalists and broadcasters start using those phrases over the next couple of days.

Listen to this tune and replace the word beautiful with 'reasonable'. Anybody able to do a remix? We might even get a Christmas number 1 out of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Motor tax, dog licence, road tolls (some of which should have been removed by now i.e. east link), increased tax for self employed.. isn't there an additional tax on flights?

What about tax claim options that have been removed? wasn't there a option to claim some tax back against rent paid??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

gladrags wrote: »
    Irish water has now replaced Oliver Cromwell,as the most hated two words in Irish history.

Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think the majority of people would have no problem paying water charges, especially if they are reasonable, and it helps with pollution etc..
    I think the main problem here is the rush job.
    Kenny wanted to push it through as fast as possible, and when he/they hit a bump, they became more determined.
    I'm not 100%, but I don't think any thing like it has been rushed so much, from talks to taxing all inside one term of office. At least I can't think of one.
    They have already made mistakes that have been acknowledged. It is surely time to admit that there may be a lot more, and they needs to be more time to get it right.

There are more licences/taxes coming in the new year, so I don't see what the urgency on this one is, unless they think that this 'dead cat bounce' is about to end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

The way the government has handled IW is a prime example of just how poor public representatives really are. Today was a complete farse they have now made people in favour of water charges against this because it is now no longer about conserving water. They could not have handled it any worse. It is good though that some media pundits are finally admitting that they were in favour of WC as it explains the total bias in media circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

I see Labour's bitch SIPTU not ruling out going on strike if IW staff don't get their bonuses......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

• Advertisement

Who is this Coleman Sheehy that's on the IW board.. and how did he get there?

http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/the-board/

Without even googling it....

Isn't he the brother of some FG party financial donor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I'm really bothered by the whole landlord can take money from a deposit. This will just mean a delay in getting your deposit back regardless if your a good tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

at the end of the day it's obvious that the government realise they have made a massive mistake. of course they have no way of backtracking now as hundreds of millions has already been spent setting up a quango and installing meters.

they could have admitted their mistake, rolled back and let the country decide if they were genuinely remorseful. but they have chosen the politicians path.....tell all your party members to say the same thing over and over again to try to convince the public. defend it to the end, even though they know it's a cluster f*ck.

i'm glad in a way that it has come to this.
    it finally awoke the Irish people after 7 years of austerity to actually get out and protest. and it will be the end of FG and Lab for a few years at least.

i have no affiliation to any party. in fact, i think party politics is kinda pointless as the individuals aren't allowed to express their own opinion, but I hate liars in all walks of life. i hate that they lied to get into government and that they continue to lie.

this really isn't about water charges at all. It's about 7 years of being sold down the river by successive governments. what would really have happened to us as a country if we had burned (some) of the bondholders??

i'm glad the politicians are getting a hard time. i don't agree with them being verbally or physically harassed, however I am fully in favour of peaceful protests. this is what i mean by giving them a hard time.

Pat Rabitte on Prime Time last night making a complete fool of himself. backtracking on Labours pre-election promise of not introducing water charges and giving out about protestors. This, the same Pat Rabitte who was president of UCG students union and subsequently president of the USI who no doubt attended many's a protest in his time.
    I used to have a lot of time and respect for him when he was in opposition.

we are finally as a nation waking up and standing up for ourselves.

apologies for the disjointed waffle!!

Not waffle at all. Makes perfect sense and I agree with much of it.

As a (former) Labour voter myself (although I didn't vote for them in the last election) I find it depressing that they have done a complete about face on the people they are supposed to represent. Rabbite, Howlin and Burton really ought to be ashamed of themselves. They've shown themselves to be liars.

I'd say that Gilmore (who was against Water Charges in his past) is glad to be out of the picture and leaving Burton to face the ire of people, furious with their sellout, once in power and although I have had respect for some Fine Gael members in the past, such as Garret Fitzgerald, most of us suspected this current lot were just c*nts really. The electorate, in the main, were willing to give them a chance, largely in a protest vote against the c*nts that are Finanna Fail, but in the end there wasn't much choice.

But they've really done it for themselves now. I know lifetime FGer's that are turning against them.

I STILL find it bizarre that it's mainly Labour ministers that are being trotted out to push this shite, when it's primarily a Fine Gael gig! The best they could do last night on 'Primetime' is Gemma f*cking Hussey! Gemma Hussey! When was the last time she was relevant? When she was Minister for Education in 80's?

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have you copied and pasted that from somewhere else OP? There may be taxed applied on insurance, but if you have a car, and property, would insurance not be a necessity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Can I be in charge of the new Oxygen Tax, COMPLETELY eff it up..... and be rewarded with a Gravy Job in Brussells.... Please? Aw go on Paddy.... Paddy? Paddy??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

At least Alan Kelly has the balls to come on the news, to be fair to him. Where is Enda today? Any sign of him?

Strike action is still on the table from IW workers over the bonus issue.

What would that even look like? What can they realistically do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Benteke wrote: »
    92 pages and people still don't get it, The people are not going to pay, The majority have now got a taste for it and they will not budge, We should start a thread on which politician gets a dig first? My money would be on Enda but the wimp has to come out of hiding first and stop hiding behind his lap dog Joan Burton

PS Who pays for a tv licence? So 1999 get with the times and tell them to fcuk off

You're just a freeloader and one of those who means that people like me pay more taxes. You're a scourge on irish society.

I would also guarantee that you wouldnt be protesting at all if the water charge burden was taken off you and passed on to the top tax bracket. Why? Because this cause for you is entirely borne out of self-interest. Much like the rest of the scumbags who appear to be hijacking what were legitimate protests against the make-up of Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Kenny on Oireachtas TV now.. opened with the "reasonable people" bit they've been peddling the last few days again of course.

He is so wooden it's hard to tell him from the bench he's standing behind - the usual monotone reading from the script without any attempt to address the points raised beforehand.

Reference to inheriting the mess.. check. Good thing this isn't a drinking game!

That did make me laugh _Kaiser_ :pac: ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement