Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

listermint wrote: »
    You need to look up funding per head for cavan versus funding per head for Dublin.

Dublin people get literally a fraction of what cavan people get per head on services. Despite most of the revenue generation coming from urban populations. Now don't get me wrong I'm fine with that it's fair. There is jobs here.

But you can't be complaining based on above when you have to put your own well in and pay for filters on your lovely single detached plot with fresh air and lower LPT.

So excuse me if I'm struggling to catch the point of your argument.

Id love my own detached house. And love to have the opportunity of my own water supply filters or no filters. Fantastic

I wouldnt be grouching about it. Especially when my County gets more funding per head than those with a water supply direct.

Well then are welcome to sell up and buy a property in the country. Or go rent one, there's thousands and it'll be much cheaper. I chose to move to the city, you're free to move to the country should you choose to.

I wasn't grouching about the water charges, I was saying I've been paying them all my life and I'm used to it so having to pay it again doesn't bother me.

rte player is crap, it wont load for me at all.

Better sort that out gubberment before you start looking for a broadcasting charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

The didnt decide it was the 'decent' thing to do. They decided it was in your financial best interest to do so.

Ah right so.
    It was in my financial interest that they ensured my income dropped by almost half and then started taking tax after tax on what was left.
    I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Better sort that out gubberment before you start looking for a broadcasting charge!

It hates AdBlock , Drives me nuts :eek:

Try changing to lower quality setting .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I just said that here!! I'm way behind cos it keeps stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Try aertv?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well then are welcome to sell up and buy a property in the country. Or go rent one, there's thousands and it'll be much cheaper. I chose to move to the city, you're free to move to the country should you choose to.

I wasn't grouching about the water charges, I was saying I've been paying them all my life and I'm used to it so having to pay it again doesn't bother me.

But why would wish to pay them when you are paying vat motor tax and now in Dublin a higher LPT which by the way was meant to cover your water infrastructure by local services funding.

Im still struggling to why youd want to legitimise this fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ah right so.
    It was in my financial interest that they ensured my income dropped by almost half and then started taking tax after tax on what was left.
    I see.

Sure did you not realise that if they didn't spend almost a billion setting up a loss making company that you'll have to pay for forever, that there'd be no water in the country?

smash wrote: »
    That gobshíte Pat Rabbite on prime time last night said if they didn't set up Irish water there'd be restaurants and pubs going out of business because there'd be no water supply. The level of scaremongering was shocking.

I don't understand why RTE continually drag that hasbeen out.
    Well, I suppose the new RTE tax (broadcasting charge) was his idea and will benefit them most.
    Choo choo in pravdaland.......

Sure did you not realise that if they didn't spend almost a billion setting up a loss making company that you'll have to pay for forever, that there'd be no water in the country?

Silly me!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Side note: Does that big clock behind the guy on now remind anyone else of anything? I just keep hearing..

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

listermint wrote: »
    On topic. If you pay. Your agreeing with everything in that video.

Jesus wept
    Eh 'on topic' I made it perfectly clear what I thought of his reaction.
    You appear to be one of these 'if you're not for us you're against us' types

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Daly and Burton on Prime time.

Duck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

A number of point arising from todays announcements on the Water Tax and on the Water Tax in general.

Mr Kelly said the €100 grant would be a cheque or transfer and customers would pay the charges upfront and receive the grant later, yet he admitted that in the first year there would be a time lag and the payment may not be made till September, so the water tax bills will be sent out and due for payment, months before the €100 grant is paid.

He said that capped charges would remain in place until 1st January 2019, when the next General Election is due in 2016, so this is a worthless promise since it something that they simply can't deliver since much of the period it covers falls after the next election. And we know what politicians typically do as regards pre-election promises/commitments, once an election is over.........

One of the main reasons given for introducing water meters and the water tax is that water is a valuable resource and metering will encourage responsible use and discourage waste yet today Mr Kelly said that those that use less than the capped amount will get a ONCE OFF REBATE. So after receiving that rebate, as I read it, if you keep using less than the capped amount, you won't save anything(you'll be charged the capped amount), thereby removing any incentive to save water or reduce your consumption. So that removes water conservation as a justification for the charge and removes any incentive to use less than the capped amount. Surely if water conservation is the goal and if as they say you are to be charged for the water you use(the reason they gave for installing water meters), then if you use less than the capped amount, you should pay less than the capped amount(ie continue to receive a rebate).

We're also expected to believe that introducing a law now to prevent the privatisation of Irish Water will stop that happening in the future, when the government itself changes existing laws and introduces new laws on a weekly basis. Complete nonsense, any new law will only stop the privatisation of Irish Water until the government of the day decides otherwise and introduces a new law to allow for its privatisation.

A final point, when this government first announced their intention to introduce the water tax and sought tenders for the water meters, we were assured, possibly by the Taoiseach, that nobody would be paying for their water until ALL water meters had been installed. Now we're told that they won't have finished installing all the water meters until some time in 2016, yet the first water tax bills will be sent out by April 2015. So what confidence can we have in their latest promises when virtually everything they have said about it so far, has proved false ?

With water provision and treatment costing roughly a billion a year and roughly 1.5m households targetted as Irish Water 'customers' , if the government wants to make the Irish Water self financing, even before its investment programme, then the average household bills are going to be much much higher than €260 a year, possibly from 2019(possibly much sooner), but to make that a reality they have to get us to register for their more modest payment plan now. Like lambs to the slaughter, now lets see how many volunteers we have ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

That gobshíte Pat Rabbite on prime time last night said if they didn't set up Irish water there'd be restaurants and pubs going out of business because there'd be no water supply. The level of scaremongering was shocking.

Reminds me of the time we were told that there would be no money in the cash machines.....Fool me once!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Ah right so.
    I see.

Thats it, you have it.
    A lot of people dont see it though, and how they would have been so much worse off, for far longer, had they not done so.

gladrags wrote: »

Duck

I hope Daly doesn't start haranguing that poor frail old woman.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I hope Daly doesn't start haranguing that poor frail old woman.....

I hope they frisk her for water balloons - we know how deadly those balloons are. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Great news today, let's put everything on the country's credit card for our children and their children to pay for our mistakes again. Spineless government back down to the noisey minority. No one will make the hard decisions lets just kick the can down the road. Ironically we will probably be going down to the local river in a few years to collect water when the infrastucture collapses.

gladrags wrote: »

Duck

For those who might have missed it .

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=969787613050241&set=vb.257558294273180&type=2&theater

• Advertisement

I hope they frisk her for water balloons - we know how deadly those balloons are. :-)

My four year old girl hit me with one last week.....
    There was anarchy in my house, anarchy I tell ya!!!!!

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Great news today, let's put everything on the country's credit card for our children and their children to pay

You have heard of the Anglo promissory note 'deal' haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Great news today, let's put everything on the country's credit card for our children and their children to pay for our mistakes again. Spineless government back down to the noisey minority. No one will make the hard decisions lets just kick the can down the road. Ironically we will probably be going down to the local river in a few years to collect water when the infrastucture collapses.

Yawn , do you like exaggerating much ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You missed that, it happened waaaay back last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Stargate wrote: »

I watched it live.

She spoke for so many,and it was spontaneous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

My four year old girl hit me with one last week.....
    There was anarchy in my house, anarchy I tell ya!!!!!

So long as she didn't follow through with a Lego brick :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Has there ever been a government climbdown as big as this? I doubt it. It must be embarrassing.

The whole point of the water charge was to prevent waste but capping the charge makes that a nonsense.

So long as she didn't follow through with a Lego brick :-)

She did, but it was a few hours after our original tiff.......My missus caught it on video (on her 5s, hollywood style) although the stills made it look worse than it was...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Stargate wrote: »

'I would appreciate it if RTE stayed on they side they first choose when this all started 6 years ago. It seems like the dirty rat along with TD's are trying to jump off the ship because its becoming apparent that the ship is sinking. RTE lied and mislead numbers and events, bending the mind of the people as best as they could. RTE will be dismantled after we get our sovereignty back and anyone associated with them with not be allowed report again in this country .This is Fact'

Great comment under this video.

• Advertisement

Mr Hubert Kearns - Mr David O'Connor et al would like to say hello :eek:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-boss-retires-with-250k-lump-sum-250500.html

Figures from the Department of the Environment show that Mr O’Connor, the retired manager
    of Fingal County Council, is to receive a lump sum payment of €296,082.
    He had one of the top local government jobs in the country, receiving an annual salary of €150,977 ,
    second only to the €175,721 received by the manager of Dublin City Council.

Mr O’Connor will receive annual pension payments of €73,394.

Where do they work??

Yeah we know who has the `country's credit card alright .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement