Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Bacause meters are apparently still the best way to detect leaks. At present we're losing 50%of the entire water supply through leaks. Meters identify and find leaks. So far through metering IW have identified 22 individual homes who have leaks amounting to 1 million litres a day - enough to serve a large rural town.

I also think there is something about being able to beat the cap through metering although I am not sure how true that is, as I havent heard enough on it.

So why haven't they fixed them ,wouldn't that be much better PR.

or is it a case that its much better for them to use this type of thing as scare tactics.

Again not a penny be spend on fixing the problem just more interested in been a revenue collection service.

Bacause meters are apparently still the best way to detect leaks. At present we're losing 50%of the entire water supply through leaks. Meters identify and find leaks. So far through metering IW have identified 22 individual homes who have leaks amounting to 1 million litres a day - enough to serve a large rural town.

I also think there is something about being able to beat the cap through metering although I am not sure how true that is, as I havent heard enough on it.

The meter companies are on a "fixed price contract". I'm sure they would have to be paid in full even if the government decided they didn't want them installed anymore as that isn't their problem. Tbh, it's only fair they are paid for the contract they agreed too. They would have invested heavily in vehicles, machinery and plant, the employees have invested in the courses.

Legally I'd say IW would have to pay the companies regardless. Kinda silly to pay them for nothing and at the same time having loads of employees laid off and back on the live register. That would lead to more outrage from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Still haven't heard one minister comment on sorting out the cronyism and corruption, I don't think many people will pay attention until they do.

Which incidence of corruption are you speaking of, specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Croynism and quango.

Such buzz words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Croynism and quango.

Such buzz words.

You forgot "bankers" and "isn't that what one tends to do during an election". I'm sure those have been trotted out during this thread a few times already.

It's like a bingo game these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ten's of thousands of group water scheme members and people with their own wells are very happy this morning with the prospect of a €100 water conservation payment annually.

Personally as a two adult home on mains water with our own waste water treatment, I find 80 net per year very reasonable. When we were on a group water scheme from 1983 to 2001 we paid twice this for a poor service and undrinkable water.

Ten's of thousands of group water scheme members and people with their own wells are very happy this morning with the prospect of a €100 water conservation payment annually.

Personally as a two adult home on mains water with our own waste water treatment, I find 80 net per year very reasonable. When we were on a group water scheme from 1983 to 2001 we paid twice this for a poor service and undrinkable water.

It does highlight how stupid the whole thing is really. My sister is a single occupant, has a waste water treatment system, so she will be up €20 a year €80 per year charge less €100 rebate lol.

They should have asked some infants at national school to do the math. I'm sure they would have seen the flaw straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Anyone else get the impression that Joan Burton with the next General Election and her party's survival in mind was starting the slow separation from FG last night on Prime Time,
    She was really trying to lay claim to saving the whole situation .

Making statements along the lines of........

Since I became Tanaiste ,I.......
    or
    I Personally appointed Kelly

Wonder if Enda minds Joan trying to grab the spotlight...
    Interesting times ahead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They should have asked some infants at national school to do the math. I'm sure they would have seen the flaw straight away.

It's hard to think straight when you are panicking like they are.

Which do you want? Coleman Sheehy and the rest of the jobs for the boys. RPS consultants earning 20 million on top of the 30 million they earned (which has been described as illegal) from the Poolbeg fiasco, provided to them by the same guy, Tierney. RPS consultants now on the board. Denis O' Brien and Siteserv.

And that's before we even start on waste and incompetence, bonuses and all the other crap that's being hoisted, yet again, on the backs of the Irish people.

Now, obviously we'll have to wait for another 10-20 years and spend a few billion on tribunals before we find out what really happened, but to come out and say that IW doesn't wreak of corruption and cronyism is in the same league as the supporters of Bertie "I won it on the races" Ahern when it was blatantly obvious he was up to his neck in dodge.

Are you happy with IW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Why is this still being peddled? Meters are only useful to find leaks on the private side of a meter, AFTER the water has passed through, if it is noticed that the rate of consumption is a multiple of what a house of such a size should be using.

The great majority of the infrastructure, the pipelines and pumps and junctions lie under the roads, meters will do nothing whatsoever to find the holes in that decrepit system

+1000

Just thought id repost this one, hoping for a reply, i haven't seen the poster come back to you yet.

Its great when party one liner ignorance is tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh my days....

I mean....

Seriously!

SERIOUSLY! Address the multitude of responses you just got.

You want us to spend another billions attempting to get to facts in 10 years time rather than stopping this nonsense before it gets going.

I just cant believe some people. Must be a case of the have and the have nots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Croynism and quango.

Such buzz words.

Yet so apt....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Carrots on sticks....

Charges capped at "€260", €100 of which must be claimed back from DSW.

In order for the DSW to process this "rebate" I presume you will first have to register, and agree to bcome an Irish Water customer, and all the terms and conditions that go with it.

The trap has been set, it has yet to be snared.

You missed the bit where they want us to pay 3 full bills before this capped rate kicks in,no mention of a rebate on that.Sneaky fukkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Croynism and quango.

Such buzz words.

You forgot incompetence as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I still cannot believe people have been suckered into this, Christ 100 euro rebate must jump all over that, the minute theres a sniff of a rebate yup that's for me sign me up.

And all the time they've reeled you into the lie, the government that's implementing this wont be around much longer and itll be the next governments mess to sort out, and the first thing to go will be all the guarantees promises and rebates.

do not let yourself be taken in by shysters and some clever figure massaging to think your better off, short term maybe long term your an Irish water customer and they have you exactly where they want you

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I think the government are taking there sales tactics from Sky Sports and drug dealers.

Sky Sports - Sign up for just one euro per month.

Drug dealers - Hey, first hit for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

shinzon wrote: »
    I still cannot believe people have been suckered into this, Christ 100 euro rebate must jump all over that, the minute theres a sniff of a rebate yup that's for me sign me up.

And all the time they've reeled you into the lie, the government that's implementing this wont be around much longer and itll be the next governments mess to sort out, and the first thing to go will be all the guarantees promises and rebates.

do not let yourself be taken in by shysters and some clever figure massaging to think your better off, short term maybe long term your an Irish water customer and they have you exactly where they want you

Shin

Either way you have to pay your taxes. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Not helpful to anyone, just unfounded propaganda. You dont have to do anything you dont want to do, all you have to do is deal with consequences of not doing it.

Given the current state of affairs i think most people will take a chance on the consequences because this government will be put out to pasture very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Nobody is falling for anything tbh. Only the very uneducated would sign up after yesterdays announcement

• Advertisement

You dont have to do anything you dont want to do, all you have to do is deal with consequences of not doing it.

Given the current state of affairs i think most people will take a chance on the consequences because this government will be put out to pasture very soon.

Don't pay your income tax then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What have taxes got to do with a utility bill?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

i dont have an issue with paying income tax.

also, please explain how is income tax related to IW?

I hope your not advocating tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Well tbh when your bills are 800-1000 euro or more in a couple of years and your bitching and moaning about how high it is then come back to me and tell me you have to pay your taxes, me id prefer to fight to abolish this charge and tbh they've rowed back so far there at the tipping point all that's needed now if for people to keep the course and the charges are gone

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Nobody is falling for anything tbh. Only the very uneducated would sign up after yesterdays announcement

One could equally say only the uneducated would come out with such a stupid statement?

Water costs money and needs to be paid for. It can no longer be provided under the existing system. There are two ways to fund this, either raise all taxes or get those who consume this water to pay for it (like all commercial users have been doing and approx 600,000 others not connected to Public Water systems)

Third level education used to be free, it now costs approx €3,000 p.a. Should this fee also be rescinded?

JRant wrote: »
    What have taxes got to do with a utility bill?

Why don't you cut out your Wifi bill and replace it with water then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

These water protestors are getting silly now.
    A gang of them are coming over from detroit for next months March http://www.newstalk.com/Protesters-from-Detroit-will-join-December-water-charges-protest-in-Dublin

Why don't you cut out your Wifi bill and replace it with water then?

black/white.

clearly the shades in between are lost on you.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the already stretched court services will be absolutely delighted with these further announcements.

Although depending on who's asked and what time of the day it is there seems to be a variety of different answers as to how non payment will be dealt with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement