Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I'm not for a minute defending the high roller salaries or pensions of ex local authority, now Irish Water executives, nor am I remotely related or connected to any of them, but I do have a problem with those who, from the anonymity of this and like threads use terms such as crookery, thievery and bribery in references to these executives. Would someone care to come out of the shadows and give us examples of these illegalities ? I doubt such unsubstantiated allegations would be entertained in the public media for fear of defamation proceedings, so why be allowed engage in it here - because they can, without fear of recrimination or censure ?
    Likewise the personal, vindictive and abusive tone of some of the posters here in relation to members of our Government - playing the man ( or woman) rather than the ball ! These people have a democratic mandate from their constituents and are part of a democratically elected government. To those who would hurl personal and vindictive abuse at government leaders I'd say, use your vote to express your dissatisfaction at the political persona, not the person. No one in politics sets out to be unpopular or hated, it's the very antithesis of their survival as politicians. By all means criticise the politics but leave the personal abuse and namecalling out. I'm not related to any politician either by the way, just in case I'm accused of partisanship here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Why don't you cut out your Wifi bill and replace it with water then?

Yeah let's all sit in the dark, and give all our money to the incompetant government ,

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

These water protestors are getting silly now.
    A gang of them are coming over from detroit for next months March http://www.newstalk.com/Protesters-from-Detroit-will-join-December-water-charges-protest-in-Dublin

LOL. Imagine paying for flights over to protest, instead of actually paying your bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A gang of them are coming over from detroit for next months March http://www.newstalk.com/Protesters-from-Detroit-will-join-December-water-charges-protest-in-Dublin

Yes you are correct, Fighting against the privisation of the Natural resources of a nations state is 'silly'

So what are your thoughts on Coillte, should we sell all our nations land too?

What about Leinster House ? Lets rent that out to starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

hju6 wrote: »
    Yeah let's all sit in the dark, and give all our money to the incompetant government ,

Look at the state of the Country now and see how it has changed so much for the better since they came into power?
    It's amazing how many people do not grasp the dept of the trouble the country was in when Cowen's crew vacated the building?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Likewise the personal, vindictive and abusive tone of some of the posters here in relation to members of our Government - playing the man ( or woman) rather than the ball ! These people have a democratic mandate from their constituents and are part of a democratically elected government. To those who would hurl personal and vindictive abuse at government leaders I'd say, use your vote to express your dissatisfaction at the political persona, not the person. No one in politics sets out to be unpopular or hated, it's the very antithesis of their survival as politicians. By all means criticise the politics but leave the personal abuse and namecalling out. I'm not related to any politician either by the way, just in case I'm accused of partisanship here !

when you live by the sword...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It does highlight how stupid the whole thing is really. My sister is a single occupant, has a waste water treatment system, so she will be up €20 a year €80 per year charge less €100 rebate lol.

They should have asked some infants at national school to do the math. I'm sure they would have seen the flaw straight away.

No, you are missing the point. At last such people get equality. We have to maintain waste water systems for a function you got for nothing. We paid the same taxes people claimed were paying for water in and out but got none of the service. Group water scheme members carried the additional cost if water for decades. The 20 your sister is up by would not cover emptying a septic tank.

Not helpful to anyone, just unfounded propaganda. You dont have to do anything you dont want to do, all you have to do is deal with consequences of not doing it.

Given the current state of affairs i think most people will take a chance on the consequences because this government will be put out to pasture very soon.

To be replaced by ?

listermint wrote: »
    Yes you are correct, Fighting against the privisation of the Natural resources of a nations state is 'silly'

Water is not being privatised. When the likes of you resort to blatant untruths to promote your agenda (whatever it is), you're losing your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

So what are your thoughts on Coillte, should we sell all our nations land too?

What about Leinster House ? Lets rent that out to starbucks.

It's already like an Amsterdam coffee shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why don't you cut out your Wifi bill and replace it with water then?

And why don't you mind your own business as to what bills other people decide to pay.

Revenue do a great job in this country collecting taxes. I've no issue paying mine to help out thise less fortunate because thats the kind of society I want to live in.

What I wont have is being fed lies by our government. They're pissing on the people of this country and trying to tell us it's raining.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

No, you are missing the point. At last such people get equality. We have to maintain waste water systems for a function you got for nothing. We paid the same taxes people claimed were paying for water in and out but got none of the service. Group water scheme members carried the additional cost if water for decades. The 20 your sister is up by would not cover emptying a septic tank.

i dont think anyone is begrudging it, im happy to see anyone get a penny up on the current shower. i think its just highlighting the ridiculous backtracking from FG (not labour, cause i dont think they have a say anymore, burton will be hung out very soon).

Nearly as silly as spending over €50 million on inept consultants

I'm not for a minute defending the high roller salaries or pensions of ex local authority, now Irish Water executives, nor am I remotely related or connected to any of them, but I do have a problem with those who, from the anonymity of this and like threads use terms such as crookery, thievery and bribery in references to these executives. Would someone care to come out of the shadows and give us examples of these illegalities ? I doubt such unsubstantiated allegations would be entertained in the public media for fear of defamation proceedings, so why be allowed engage in it here - because they can, without fear of recrimination or censure ?

If you can explain to me in detail how the 'publics' interests were implemented in relation to the Glass Bottle Site in Dublin, The management of the DDA.

Explain to me in what planet a county council is left to the debt of millions of Euro and nobody is fired.

Are you honestly telling me that anyone is held to account in this country.

Do you think that people trust the diatribe that you have detailed in that post?

It has been proven time and time again that corruption is not tackled here, on the contrary its actively encouraged with a nod and a wink.

Come back when you have something more substantial to point to in relation to how the Public should have confidence where matters of corruption are dealt with on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Look at the state of the Country now and see how it has changed so much for the better since they came into power?
    It's amazing how many people do not grasp the dept of the trouble the country was in when Cowen's crew vacated the building?

What exactly have they done that was so ingenious?

Hike taxes.

Wow, stellar thinking. I applaud them for their sheer ingenuity and outside-the-box thinking on coming to that conclusion.

The only reason Ireland's economy has recovered is because of it's people so give credit where it's due.

Water is not being privatised.

from the IW website.
    Irish Water. Private Company Limited by Shares. Registered Office Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1. Registered in Ireland. Registered No. 530363

whats to stop enda & co selling off those shares? are you privy to something the rest of us arent?

and if it wont be sold off, why did enda ignore massive calls to enshrine it in the constitution? what difference does it make to him, surely keeping the voters happy in that regard would make sense.. since it will never be privatised eh?

when you live by the sword...

Can you show me where Enda Kenny or Joan Burton described those who disagreed with their policies as "f***ing c***s ? or where those who have been employed by Irish Water or worked for Local Authorities have been charged with thievery, bribery or corruption ?

Caliden wrote: »
    What exactly have they done that was so ingenious?

Hike taxes.

Wow, stellar thinking. I applaud them for their sheer ingenuity and outside-the-box thinking on coming to that conclusion.

The only reason Ireland's economy has recovered is because of it's people so give credit where it's due.

You don't understand the word ingenious, obviously, but why you use it is hard to understand. (You introduce a red herring then congratulate yourself for coming up with it).

The economic indicators are very favourable and testament to Govt policy in helping industry get back on its feet and encouraging FDI, which was and still is badly needed. Look at Bristol Myers Squib news this week? What role did the Govt play in that? Do you care?

There have been many reasons for Ireland's recovery and the Irish people is but one of them. It couldn't happen without the right Govt policy.

But then again, from your post, it seems you have a closed mind to anything other than your own opinions.

Water is not being privatised. When the likes of you resort to blatant untruths to promote your agenda (whatever it is), you're losing your argument.

Ok go for it Breffni explain to me how legislation will assist the protection of this resource. (in finite detail with examples)

When the complete opposite has happened at the whim of a ministers pen on dark nights and in some high profile examples over christmas when no one is there to oppose.

There is no trust in the system , But you know this already.

And Yes, its very fair to say that the intention is to get this off the books all of the facets of its makeup are directed towards privatisation.

I am sure you are aware in the original documents of IW make up it there was an insertion in the clause that legislation of the kind that we were 'granted' yesterday by government existed within the original make up of IW.

It was removed at some stage last year.

By whom ? For what end ?

Why is only a problem now when people actually noticed?

Your thoughts .

Il wait.

from the IW website.

whats to stop enda & co selling off those shares? are you privy to something the rest of us arent?

and if it wont be sold off, why did enda ignore massive calls to enshrine it in the constitution? what difference does it make to him, surely keeping the voters happy in that regard would make sense.. since it will never be privatised eh?

The appropriate legislation is in place to protect it from being privatised. Are you just scaremongering again?

It's not necessary to have a constitutional bar to privatisation.

• Advertisement

Can you show me where Enda Kenny or Joan Burton described those who disagreed with their policies as "f***ing c***s ?

they say it everytime they open their mouth, they just use different words.. we all remember albert's little slip up on tv, dont we?
    or where those who have been employed by Irish Water or worked for Local Authorities have been charged with thievery, bribery or corruption ?

you and i both know nobody will be charged...

but have a read of this and tell me this chap sounds like a straight shooter.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=28328

Ok go for it Breffni explain to me how legislation will assist the protection of this resource. (in finite detail with examples)

When the complete opposite has happened at the whim of a ministers pen on dark nights and in some high profile examples over christmas when no one is there to oppose.

There is no trust in the system , But you know this already.

And Yes, its very fair to say that the intention is to get this off the books all of the facets of its makeup are directed towards privatisation.

I am sure you are aware in the original documents of IW make up it there was an insertion in the clause that legislation of the kind that we were 'granted' yesterday by government existed within the original make up of IW.

It was removed at some stage last year.

By whom ? For what end ?

Why is only a problem now when people actually noticed?

Your thoughts .

Il wait.

Wait away.

You don't understand the word ingenious, obviously, but why you use it is hard to understand. (You introduce a red herring then congratulate yourself for coming up with it).

The economic indicators are very favourable and testament to Govt policy in helping industry get back on its feet and encouraging FDI, which was and still is badly needed. Look at Bristol Myers Squib news this week? What role did the Govt play in that? Do you care?

There have been many reasons for Ireland's recovery and the Irish people is but one of them. It couldn't happen without the right Govt policy.

But then again, from your post, it seems you have a closed mind to anything other than your own opinions.

Yes they were doing ok , until the Troika and the IMF left, now with no one to hold their hand the imcompetance is blinding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you didn't buy a newspaper three days a week, you would have enough money to pay for unlimited water for the year.

If you took one less Dublin Bus journey a week and walked instead, you would have enough money to pay for unlimited water for the year.

I could go on. People are being totally unreasonable about this. You just can't talk sense into them it seems.

As a non-resident, I'm not directly concerned by any of this, but I am disgusted by the fact that the government has chosen to give "unlimited" water to everyone. Some sections of the population are getting in a stew over whether the rich should pay the same as the poor. That's such an idiotic argument, but the media are happy to ignore the reall issue - i.e. that water wasters of any social group are being told they don't need to do a damn thing to reduce the wastage at their end.

And this idea that water should be free because it's a human right? Yes, of course we need access to clean drinking water, but no-one needs to take a ten-minute shower every day, no-one needs to flush their toilet with drinking-quality water, no-one needs to use treated drinking-water to wash their car or water their geraniums or mix concrete. If I'd been an Irish resident, I'd have been in the pro-meter camp, but seeing this latest farce, I'd still be looking forward to voting this bunch of incompetents into retirement at the earliest opportunity.

The appropriate legislation is in place to protect it from being privatised. Are you just scaremongering again?

Legislation has been over turned with a pen sign. This isnt scaremongering.

It was done less than 11 months ago by our very own Joan.

There is precedence.

You do understand the meaning of the term. I am sure ?

Its a legal term, its may be above you. But it means quite a lot when judgements are decided upon.

Wait away.

Shooting Blanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Educate me, what policies?

so where is the legislation?

legislation can be changed.

im scaremongering because you have a different opinion of what could happen?

ill ask you once more. ARE YOU PRIVY TO INFO NONE OF THE REST OF US ARE?

if not, you're just as much a scaremongerer as anyone else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why don't you read up on the incinerator fiasco, who was involved, the sums of money wasted and get back to us?

And I hate this "playing the man rather than the ball nonsense". In any game i've played it's man and ball that gets played. If they don't like they can step down.

What are your opinions of government members insulting citizens. See Enda with his crass comments yesterday, iPhone Joan's comments and this latest nonsense of implying all anti-water folks are unreasonable or being led by a sinister element?

Works both ways i'm afraid.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Educate me, what policies?

I'll humour you, with one!

FDI policy has been enormously successful.

(I could add more but you don't want to hear them. A blind man could see what they have done)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement