Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Look at the state of the Country now and see how it has changed so much for the better since they came into power?
    It's amazing how many people do not grasp the dept of the trouble the country was in when Cowen's crew vacated the building?

but is it not widely excepted that 3/4's of the donkey work to start getting us out of that mess was already in place before they even came into power ,So they basically just carried on....

Oh Yes like all good parties they will lay claim to it , and they would never let the facts get in the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

listermint wrote: »
    Shooting Blanks

You'll have to try much harder to rise me? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'll have to try much harder to rise me? ;)

Oh you mistake 'rising' for trying the obtain accurate, or even fairly reasoned arguement for the to be brutally honest poor points you are raising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Look at the state of the Country now and see how it has changed so much for the better since they came into power?
    It's amazing how many people do not grasp the dept of the trouble the country was in when Cowen's crew vacated the building?

I see zero improvement round my way since FG took power. If anything people are further is despair now.

I see zero improvement round my way since FG took power. If anything people are further is despair now.

Try taking a National look as opposed to a Parochial one?

• Advertisement

Oh you mistake 'rising' for trying the obtain accurate, or even fairly reasoned arguement for the to be brutally honest poor points you are raising.

You do not want "accurate" or "fairly reasoned" argument. You have your mind made up and will not change it.

Pay your way. Pay for the water you use. It's simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

You do not want "accurate" or "fairly reasoned" argument. You have your mind made up and will not change it.

Already paying for water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

our area was tagged for a regeneration program years ago then FF fudged up and FG took over.

we now have half an unbuilt office complex that nobody wants to rent because its bang beside a dodgy council estate. a row of empty shops.. but luckily we have at least 6 takeaways ... you can never have too much crap killing you early eh?

:mad:

so where is the legislation?

legislation can be changed.

im scaremongering because you have a different opinion of what could happen?

ill ask you once more. ARE YOU PRIVY TO INFO NONE OF THE REST OF US ARE?

if not, you're just as much a scaremongerer as anyone else here.

please answer the question Breffnigolfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh but i am, and i do. Alongside the top rate of tax i pay.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »

You're not paying enough.

Are you OK with the 600,000 people not connected to Public Water supplies, who also pay the same taxes as you, subsidising your supply?

Those connected to Public Water need to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As a non-resident, I'm not directly concerned by any of this, but I am disgusted by the fact that the government has chosen to give "unlimited" water to everyone. Some sections of the population are getting in a stew over whether the rich should pay the same as the poor. That's such an idiotic argument, but the media are happy to ignore the reall issue - i.e. that water wasters of any social group are being told they don't need to do a damn thing to reduce the wastage at their end.

And this idea that water should be free because it's a human right? Yes, of course we need access to clean drinking water, but no-one needs to take a ten-minute shower every day, no-one needs to flush their toilet with drinking-quality water, no-one needs to use treated drinking-water to wash their car or water their geraniums or mix concrete. If I'd been an Irish resident, I'd have been in the pro-meter camp, but seeing this latest farce, I'd still be looking forward to voting this bunch of incompetents into retirement at the earliest opportunity.

Water is not free in Ireland, its paid for through taxation.

Why can't people seem to understand that very simple point?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH you have a very valid point. They have turned the boat around after the ball was dropped, torn to shreds and buried by the previous bunch of muppets.

However that does not mitigate them from responsibility with the absolute mess that IW has become. I still am unsure if it is pure incompetence or that mixed with arrogance that has created this omnishambles.

This is what they are going to be remembered for. This is Alan Kelly's "legacy" ;)

please answer the question Breffnigolfer.

I won't because it's a stupid question, IMO.

Are you OK with the 600,000 people not connected to Public Water supplies, who also pay the same taxes as you, subsidising your supply?

How do you know what I'm paying?

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH you have a very valid point. They have turned the boat around after the ball was dropped, torn to shreds and buried by the previous bunch of muppets.

However that does not mitigate them from responsibility with the absolute mess that IW has become. I still am unsure if it is pure incompetence or that mixed with arrogance that has created this omnishambles.

This is what they are going to be remembered for. This is Alan Kelly's "legacy" ;)

Be fair, if you want to blame an individual (and it should be a collective blame) it's Phil Hogan who should carry the can, not Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You don't understand the word ingenious, obviously, but why you use it is hard to understand. (You introduce a red herring then congratulate yourself for coming up with it).

The economic indicators are very favourable and testament to Govt policy in helping industry get back on its feet and encouraging FDI, which was and still is badly needed. Look at Bristol Myers Squib news this week? What role did the Govt play in that? Do you care?

There have been many reasons for Ireland's recovery and the Irish people is but one of them. It couldn't happen without the right Govt policy.

But then again, from your post, it seems you have a closed mind to anything other than your own opinions.

The IDA have been very good over the years at attracting employers, albeit footloose.

This is in spite of and not because of a succession of Governments. I did some work with Enterprise Ireland in the last decade, and the prevailing mantra is that they warn the Government off to let them get on with the real work

I won't because it's a stupid question, IMO.

how is it stupid?

you accused me of scaremongering. unless you have info that nobody else does, then you're scaremongering too.

either admit it or look like a backtracking shill.

your choice.

How do you know what I'm paying?

I know you're not paying for your water connection. That's what needs to change.

I know you're not paying for your water connection. That's what needs to change.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

If I was the Government I'd double the €160 just for people being stupid. Don't pay just fine them €1,000 every week until paying.

If I was the Government I'd double the €160 just for people being stupid. Don't pay just fine them €1,000 every week until paying.

Yeah, that would work. Well done.

Why?

Fairness.

People not connected to Public Water supplies, paying the same other taxes as you, have to pay for water. It's only right you should too.

Face facts, you have benefited from an unfair subsidy for too long. It has to change.

brilliant. best solution so far.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yes I am.

In much the same way the large swathes of LPT gathered in urban areas is used to subsidise rural areas.

I'm perfectly fine with that. If we charged rural areas the real cost of supplying them with electricity and roads etc, it would be completely unsustainable to live there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Fairness.

People not connected to Public Water supplies, paying the same other taxes as you, have to pay for water. It's only right you should too.

Face facts, you have benefited from an unfair subsidy for too long. It has to change.

Have you ever called the Fire Brigade, called the police before?

I havent, therefore you've been benefiting for an unfair subsidy for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Legislation has been over turned with a pen sign. This isnt scaremongering.
    And there was I thinking it required a vote of the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'll humour you, with one!

FDI policy has been enormously successful.

(I could add more but you don't want to hear them. A blind man could see what they have done)

Please go on.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Yes I am.

In much the same way the large swathes of LPT gathered in urban areas is used to subsidise rural areas.

I'm perfectly fine with that. If we charged rural areas the real cost of supplying them with electricity and roads etc, it would be completely unsustainable to live there.

also, if we're gonna get deep into the fairness issue then everything has to be factored in such as cost of living in urban areas etc. not until all the sums are added up can we decide on a fair payment for everyone.

shame the fg sheep only like to cherry pick situations that support their (ag)enda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement