Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

what correlation is there between a taxpayer's reasoning and their tax rate?

are you saying in general, only the ones who pay more tax can be considered reasonable people?

I find the whole 'reasonable people' thing to be quite patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The government have forgotten about the one part of society they are really scared of,the pensioners.What will happen when we have the inevitable cold snap & they all leave their taps running to stop their pipes freezing?

The last time the grey voters took to the streets,the government backed down quicker than a scalded cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Its obviously a PR soundbite the govt were told to use. Looks like it has worked on at least one poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its a little bit of spin because doesnt everyone want to be thought of as reasonable? well reasonable people dont question their government, so if you want to be reasonable...

Bernays would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Red Pepper wrote: »
    The biggest one for me is blindly and cowardly supporting the Fianna Fail policy of making private banking debt into national debt. Criminal.

There was not enough room to quote the pseudoecomic babble from Kenny and Baldy.

More importantly,I left out...

Phil Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

So ... this is what a bunch of Oirish fatcats looks loike :-
    http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/the-board/

And, where were their Jobs advertised ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

zerks wrote: »
    The government have forgotten about the one part of society they are really scared of,the pensioners.What will happen when we have the inevitable cold snap & they all leave their taps running to stop their pipes freezing?

The last time the grey voters took to the streets,the government backed down quicker than a scalded cat.

They can leave their taps running all year if they want, it's a flat charge.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    They can leave their taps running all year if they want, it's a flat charge.

flat charge.. conservation.. eh????

something's gone a little bit sideways here!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Royal Tara

I have a question.
    I live alone in rural ireland with a septic tank.
    My charge will be E160. I pay half as I have my own waste water bio clear unit so I pay E80.
    If I register and pay in full I get a E100 rebate, Does that mean Im up a twenty euro note???? I did not see E50 for one service mentioned anywhere.
    Can anyone put me right on this.

flat charge.. conservation.. eh????

something's gone a little bit sideways here!

:)

A reasonable person might think they were trying to blow smoke up one's posterior.

• Advertisement

I have a question.
    My charge will be E160. I pay half as I have my own waste water bio clear unit so I pay E80.
    If I register and pay in full I get a E100 rebate, Does that mean Im up a twenty euro note???? I did not see E50 for one service mentioned anywhere.
    Can anyone put me right on this. Getting through to IW is like getting through to God and why should I waste more of my hard earned money callin them as I did before and left waiting for 25 mins or more,
    Any help on this one? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well if you feel that strongly about it, fit a gray water system in your home. Problem solved.

No, the problem is not solved. I do have a grey water system (and rainwater harvesting and a split-flush system and various other saving and scavenging systems) but it doesn't matter what I do, as an Irish tax-payer, I'd still be paying for all the people who don't make any effort.

That's why meters are a good idea, and why a waste-what-you-want cap, with a 100€ kickback for good measure, is obviously nothing more than a pre-election gimmick.

Royal Tara wrote: »
    I have a question.

you will!

and sure you can put that 20 towards irish water shares when they go public.. and since DoB is tied up in all this, you can be sure those shares will only sky rocket! just like a little comms company a few years ago... oh, wait :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/the-irish-took-austerity-lying-down-german-poll-30758570.html
    The bulk of Germans feel Irish people should have protested more when the Eurozone crisis unfolded, a survey suggests.
    The study by Red C - commissioned by a Galway businessman - concluded that about 60pc of Germans surveyed agreed that we weren't vocal enough in 2008, the year the crash came and the Government bailed out the banks.
    It was a similar view held by those from the US and UK, at 41pc and 53pc respectively.
    The majority also agreed that Irish people were too accepting of the crisis and its implications.
    The survey of opinions across three countries was commissioned by James Murphy, who founded natural health and beauty products company Lifes2Good in 1997.

Royal Tara wrote: »
    I have a question.

i would normally suggest ring the company themselves but IW don't seem to have the first clue as to whats going on.

Maybe a local tarot reader or medium may be of more assistance

its a little bit of spin because doesnt everyone want to be thought of as reasonable? well reasonable people dont question their government, so if you want to be reasonable...

Bernays would be proud.

very good bernays, I just watched that doco recently, the Freudian trickster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

breffni the golfer (jaysus!) seemed to have insight on the future of IW billing earlier.. he might be able to answer her.

rusty cole wrote: »
    very good bernays, I just watched that doco recently, the Freudian trickster!!

have you seen 'century of the self'? its a 4 part docu on him and his likes. scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Walter Mitty stuff from the government ministers on the radio this morning. They are in total and complete denial. The game is up lads call an election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i would normally suggest ring the company themselves but IW don't seem to have the first clue as to whats going on.

Take to their twitter page. They are always good for infinite accurate answers........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Hindsight is a great thing. Anyway, better late than never!

At least now we are seeing people power at work. Irish people need to start realising this is our country not the establishments.

No, the problem is not solved. I do have a grey water system (and rainwater harvesting and a split-flush system and various other saving and scavenging systems) but it doesn't matter what I do, as an Irish tax-payer, I'd still be paying for all the people who don't make any effort.

That's why meters are a good idea, and why a waste-what-you-want cap, with a 100€ kickback for good measure, is obviously nothing more than a pre-election gimmick.

Fair play to you but you've dropped a lot of money for no gain i'm afraid.

Meters on domestic homes are a stupid idea and completely uneconomical.

What was needed was metering on the main network. Similar to how ESB and Bord Gas do it.

Imagine a situation whereby the ESB only monitored at the generator and then at a domestic fuseboard with nothing inbetween. That's the level of insanity we're being asked to buy into.

Your efforts, while comendable, are completely useless when the sheer scale of the leaks is taken into account.

listermint wrote: »
    Take to their twitter page. They are always good for infinite accurate answers........

Lol.

Isn't it funny how even in this time of crisis the government still can't get their stories straight and put out a united front.

I agree with those surveys, We were bullied into believing we had no choice and threatned by banklinks with no money etc, like they did saying our water would be turned down to a trickle but we had built up anger and now have come to boiling point,. Enda was right - it was not about water - its household charge for collecting names for the database, the property tax - universal social charge - taking medical cards off disabled people - trolleys in hospitals. Both my parents died this year and the berievement grant of 800e is gone so I am down E1600 in the first half of this year. Very few said a word about this. The list goes on. I support Ballyhea bailout protesters week in week out who walk every Sunday against protecting and paying the bondholders. That is where all this started. We should just say no to paying back Germany. That would be a worthwhile protest and for big gains not just the 260 or 160 water charge. Which before you say anything will of course go up. The real issue was letting off the gamblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

listermint wrote: »
    Oh my days....

I mean....

Seriously!

SERIOUSLY! Address the multitude of responses you just got.

You want us to spend another billions attempting to get to facts in 10 years time rather than stopping this nonsense before it gets going.

I just cant believe some people. Must be a case of the have and the have nots.

I don't want anything per-se, you know nothing about me, my finances or my views - someone asked for the reason why the meters are continuing to be installed, I gave the answer at least insofar as I understand it. Simples :cool:

I then asked which specific incidence of corruption Rojomcdojo was referring to. The Government has displayed incompetence in certain areas, cronyism in others - I've seen scarce evidence of corruption, which is a different thing altogether. Making a decision you don't like /= corruption.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I don't want anything per-se, you know nothing about me, my finances or my views - someone asked for the reason why the meters are continuing to be installed, I gave the answer at least insofar as I understand it. Simples :cool:

I then asked which specific incidence of corruption Rojomcdojo was referring to. The Government has displayed incompetence in certain areas, cronyism in others - I've seen scarce evidence of corruption, which is a different thing altogether. Making a decision you don't like /= corruption.

And I complied with your request. Or is "move along, nothing to see here" the basis of your argument?

Sure, corruption hasn't been proven in a court of law, but when has that ever happened in Ireland? We're talking millions and millions of OUR tax money being spent on cushy jobs for very suspect individuals, perks, dodgy business deals, as once again, that's before we even get to the incompetence.

I'll ask again, are you happy with IW as it is, currently? Do you believe that the 87 million in consultancy was kosher?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Re the attachment of a lien against your property for unpaid IW charges, this seems to me a dangerous precedent. If this can be done for one utility, IW, what is to stop other utilities --- ESB, Bord Gais, etc. --- from demanding to do the same?

There are many, many people with large utility arrears.

Foxhound38 wrote: »

DOB of ESAT and brown envelopes to politicians fame buys a little known company called Siteserv who are also up to their oxters in debt. Low and behold this company with a terrible financial record gets awarded a lucrative government contract for water metering.

Now you may think this is a coincidence, incompetence or cronyism but to me it is corruption, pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Re the attachment of a lien against your property for unpaid IW charges, this seems to me a dangerous precedent. If this can be done for one utility, IW, what is to stop other utilities --- ESB, Bord Gais, etc. --- from demanding to do the same?

There are many, many people with large utility arrears.

Why stop there, why not UPC, Sky, Vodafone?
    It's a crazy idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement