Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I hope the Guards spend their time getting all those ISIS bastards instead

Plenty of home grown criminals to keep them occupied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

I'm pretty sure most of the polls both here and on the journal have had more people going to pay than not going to.

Link please?

Not being smart but i have never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Plenty of home grown criminals to keep them occupied.

But ISIS are much worse, they should concentrate of them first, hopefully the people of Tipperary North will extend their financial generosity again to help fund the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Seems Burton has made an official complaint about the false imprisonment imposed on her on Saturday. Hopefully there will be some arrests and charges out of it.

I am going to make an official complaint about her boring me to tears for decades with her moaning and for talking tough in opposition but being utterly useless in power - I mean name me one thing she has achieved apart form ousting that tool Gilmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pocoyo wrote: »
    'Some dubliners want to behave like parasites and live off the country people'

****** idiot :D

We country people have not experienced the recovery like dublin if he thinks this rubbish will divide us hes mistaking dubs,galwegians,corconians and limerick people have never been more united the support and banter on social media for each others counties has been inspiring.

FFS i might even holiday in sligo this year. :D

Don't forget Clare :D
    http://www.clare.fm/
    69% NO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

I'm pretty sure most of the polls both here and on the journal have had more people going to pay than not going to.

We must be looking at different polls because every time I've seen one it's the opposite of what you're claiming. Even Joe Duffys poll was in favour of not paying, strange times indeed :)

We must be looking at different polls because every time I've seen one it's the opposite of what you're claiming. Even Joe Duffys poll was in favour of not paying, strange times indeed :)

78% saying no in the indo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/poll-the-water-charges-have-been-revealed-do-you-intend-on-paying-the-bill-30759503.html

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

What agenda? I don't even live in Ireland anymore.

I'm going to be coming back to Cork temporarily quite soon, taking an opportunity to spend some time with my family having emigrated over 7 years ago. I would like it if there was a direct flight into Cork, but because the DAA have strangled Cork Airport there isn't. I would like to be able to cycle to do my grocery shopping, but because everyone insists on driving everywhere all the time, it's too dangerous. I would like to feel safe enough to walk the 20 minutes back to my house from the city after a night out, but that's not possible either. I would like for my husband to be able to commute directly from Cork Airport to his job in Germany, but again, the DAA has other ideas. I would like for there to be a park close by where there are facilities for me to allow my dog a run off the lead without doing anything illegal or bothering anyone, but again, no.

I have no political affiliations in Ireland. When I was voting there, I voted mostly independent and I think once ever a Labour candidate. I would just like it if people stopped being so caught up in hysteria that they can't see the bigger picture. You know why in other countries in Europe they can see where their tax money is going? Because they have been paying a lot more of it, for a much longer time. We pay water charges, property tax, local taxes, waste taxes, pet taxes, national health insurance, private health insurance, income tax, pensions.... the list goes on. All mandatory, and if we don't pay it gets sent to a debt collection agency, no negotiation.

We live in a nice neighbourhood, with people of all socio economic backgrounds and professions, earning more than us and less than us. If someone becomes sick or disabled, they are looked after on the basis of their needs or the length of time they have contributed. No medical cards, no blanket grants, but on what they actually require to find a way to benefit themselves and society again. Trains are expensive but run on time. Students here get a small grant to cover their subsidised fees, then loans to pay for the cost of their study and pay it back when they begin working. Over half of our income goes to ensuring that society functions in this way. It takes getting used to, but it's a damn sight better than the alternative. I just really wish that the people protesting would stop engaging in this "groupthink" and start being a bit more rational about what it's going to take before
    DO us all a favour and dont bother your billox coming back here,we've enough fcuking moaning Minnie's here .sure you llive in utopia already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

You are deluded. All polls are pointing to more people not paying. Here is one from the Journal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-water-charges-4-1789664-Nov2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I'm going to be coming back to Cork temporarily quite soon, taking an opportunity to spend some time with my family having emigrated over 7 years ago. I would like it if there was a direct flight into Cork, but because the DAA have strangled Cork Airport there isn't. I would like to be able to cycle to do my grocery shopping, but because everyone insists on driving everywhere all the time, it's too dangerous. I would like to feel safe enough to walk the 20 minutes back to my house from the city after a night out, but that's not possible either. I would like for my husband to be able to commute directly from Cork Airport to his job in Germany, but again, the DAA has other ideas. I would like for there to be a park close by where there are facilities for me to allow my dog a run off the lead without doing anything illegal or bothering anyone, but again, no.

I have no political affiliations in Ireland. When I was voting there, I voted mostly independent and I think once ever a Labour candidate. I would just like it if people stopped being so caught up in hysteria that they can't see the bigger picture. You know why in other countries in Europe they can see where their tax money is going? Because they have been paying a lot more of it, for a much longer time. We pay water charges, property tax, local taxes, waste taxes, pet taxes, national health insurance, private health insurance, income tax, pensions.... the list goes on. All mandatory, and if we don't pay it gets sent to a debt collection agency, no negotiation.

We live in a nice neighbourhood, with people of all socio economic backgrounds and professions, earning more than us and less than us. If someone becomes sick or disabled, they are looked after on the basis of their needs or the length of time they have contributed. No medical cards, no blanket grants, but on what they actually require to find a way to benefit themselves and society again. Trains are expensive but run on time. Students here get a small grant to cover their subsidised fees, then loans to pay for the cost of their study and pay it back when they begin working. Over half of our income goes to ensuring that society functions in this way. It takes getting used to, but it's a damn sight better than the alternative. I just really wish that the people protesting would stop engaging in this "groupthink" and start being a bit more rational about what it's going to take before things improve.

So what has this got to do with protesters?

They are not responsible for running the country.

Jesus, Groupthink

If ever there was a tried and tested example of Groupthink,look no further than the stagnant groupthink culture of our political system,past and present.

The thousands of people who have been protesting peacefully,have managed to make a fundamental change,in a positive sense.

They have bucked the norm,and questioned the corruption of our stagnant system

This is the opposite to groupthink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was all for water charges if they went the correct direction. I am seriously contemplating changing my mind. While I am deciding, I am firmly standing on the "No" side.

:mad:

As for the people backing Politicians because they support that party, well that's just daft. Nothing will ever be fixed as long as they exist.

'Some dubliners want to behave like parasites and live off the country people'

****** idiot :D

We country people have not experienced the recovery like dublin if he thinks this rubbish will divide us hes mistaking dubs,galwegians,corconians and limerick people have never been more united the support and banter on social media for each others counties has been inspiring.

FFS i might even holiday in sligo this year. :D

Is sligo still around

Allyall wrote: »
    I was all for water charges if they went the correct direction. I am seriously contemplating changing my mind. While I am deciding, I am firmly standing on the "No" side.

:mad:

As for the people backing Politicians because they support that party, well that's just daft. Nothing will ever be fixed as long as they exist.

On the fence methinks

Link please?

Not being smart but i have never seen one.

I'll link the two previous polls from this site. Both show more going to pay than not. I tried going through the journal. They seem to delete their old polls when they put up a new one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321930

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249879
    Fuhrer wrote: »
    But ISIS are much worse, they should concentrate of them first, hopefully the people of Tipperary North will extend their financial generosity again to help fund the opportunity.

I've no idea what you are ****ing on about.
    Red Pepper wrote: »
    I am going to make an official complaint about her boring me to tears for decades with her moaning and for talking tough in opposition but being utterly useless in power - I mean name me one thing she has achieved apart form ousting that tool Gilmore.

Why are you asking me? I don't like the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

You are deluded. All polls are pointing to more people not paying. Here is one from the Journal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-water-charges-4-1789664-Nov2014/

Incorrect. 72% will be according to CU survey.

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/news/2014/title,8698,en.php

(this survey probably doesn't count in the eyes of many though seeing as it's mostly in favour)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So the polls are biased?
    They're to be taken with a humongous shovel load of salt, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

John.Icy wrote: »

(this survey probably doesn't count in the eyes of many though seeing as it's mostly in favour)

where are you seeing this number?

all i see is this on water charges
    44% had registered for the water charges at the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

adrag wrote: »
    On the fence methinks

No, In theory I agree with water charges. I don't agree with what's going on here. I won't agree to spend my money with so many unanswered questions, and not when I believe that it's not what it seems.

As for the "New lower charges - the lowest in Europe!!" spiel, We should have been the lowest all along. We live on an island with feckin rain 350 days a year and a populations smaller than some of the small cities in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

gladrags wrote: »
    So what has this got to do with protesters?

They are not responsible for running the country.

Things that protestors want cost more money than protestors are willing to pay.
    adrag wrote: »
    DO us all a favour and dont bother your billox coming back here,we've enough fcuking moaning Minnie's here .sure you llive in utopia already

I'm as Irish as you are so am quite entitled to return and spend money that cost you nothing but will go to supporting the economy that you benefit from. I won't be bringing back your rubbish attitude with me either, so don't expect I will be running around banging on the cars of the "spineless" representatives you elected or acting the maggot much to the despair of the Gardaí, members of the very "squeezed middle" that you are supposedly fighting for.

One minute you're crying about all the poor Irish babas that had to leave, then you're telling us you don't want us back. Looks like the governments famous divide and conquer tactics are working then.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »

Why make up lies when all people have to do is click on the link to see you are talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

where are you seeing this number?

all i see is this on water charges

I am familiar with the CU polls.

As far as I am aware,most people have difficulty paying,or will not pay.

I'll link the two previous polls from this site. Both show more going to pay than not. I tried going through the journal. They seem to delete their old polls when they put up a new one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321930

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249879

One of those polls is in favour of abolishing IW. :rolleyes:

The most voted option in the other was people voting they wouldnt pay.

One of those polls is in favour of abolishing IW. :rolleyes:

I didn't claim otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Why make up lies when all people have to do is click on the link to see you are talking rubbish.

I'm sorry for lying.

(44% +28% = 72% if you're wondering about my maths, I also said WILL be paying but whatever, you've made your assumption I'm a liar.)

I didn't claim otherwise.

FFS think we have a spin doctor attempting to bend the truth. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

listermint wrote: »
    There is no way in hell. Back benchers are happy going back to their localities with things as they are.

December is going to be massive. Expect a pull from back benchers on this.
    THey need to be told in no uncertain terms that they will not be welcom back in their hometowns if they support the vote on this latest Smelly-kelly/Brutal-Burton/Vladkar_the-impaler triad plan
    I find the whole 'reasonable people' thing to be quite patronising.
    That is because you are not responsible enough! agree 100% with enda and co and all will be well!
    BBJBIG wrote: »
    So ... this is what a bunch of Oirish fatcats looks loike :-
    http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/the-board/

And, where were their Jobs advertised ???
    That picture of Tierney on that page looks nothing like the old man that was on the six one news, I think his father stood in for the news interview!
    JRant wrote: »
    Lol.

Isn't it funny how even in this time of crisis the government still can't get their stories straight and put out a united front.
    it just shows that major cracks are appearing in the Irish Water defences and won't be long till the dam bursts and washes the lot of them out to sea!
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So Enda considers it case closed ...

And Alan is blaming Phil (though I suppose it makes a change from FF!) ...

But back in the real world, nothing has been actually done to address the real problems - the corruption and incompetence, cronyism and blatant arrogance of this government who think the public are their own personal ATMs.
    Those fools are so dizzy from spinning they will be puking their rings up soon!
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    A great deal for what? It'll take 7 years at that rate to cover the setup costs of Irish Water alone, not to mention the running costs. A great deal of unadulterated waste of public money is the only great deal we'll see involving water in the next 10 years.
    The main reason why they will fight to the death on this issue, if they give in they will be shown up as complete incompetants who shouldn't be let run a bath nevermind run a country!
    That is incredible.

Speechless.

Where was the Ceann Clown Comharla,or whatever his name is.?
    FYP
    duckcfc wrote: »
    Why don't you just take a chance with SF,
    I'd rather drink untreated sewage and thank the current government for the privilege than ever vote for murderers and convicted criminals who used the northern situation as a cover for their criminality intimidation and thievery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I am familiar with the CU polls.

As far as I am aware,most people have difficulty paying,or will not pay.
    I won’t have difficulties paying this bill
    18%
    I will struggle a little but I will be ok
    38%
    I will have huge difficulty paying this bill
    31%
    I refuse to pay this
    13%

FFS think we have a spin doctor attempting to bend the truth. :D

I was pretty clear. i said the polls said more people would pay than wouldn't, nothing about wanting Iw abolished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Allyall wrote: »
    No, In theory I agree with water charges. I don't agree with what's going on here. I won't agree to spend my money with so many unanswered questions, and not when I believe that it's not what it seems.

As for the "New lower charges - the lowest in Europe!!" spiel, We should have been the lowest all along. We live on an island with feckin rain 350 days a year and a populations smaller than some of the small cities in Europe.

I thought the "it falls from the sky" argument had been put to bed. If you want to slurp your water out of a puddle with the rats then go ahead.

As for your second point re population size - ever heard of scales of economies?

You've actually no idea what you're talking about here do you? And agreeing with water charges "in theory" is just another way of saying you dislike the government, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement