Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Well, it was a pellet gun, and it was wrong, but don't let that stop your lies.

A pellet gun you say? ;)
    That's all ok so - who amongst us can say with hand on heart that we never threatened a worker with a pellet gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

There are none now in Dundalk where known criminals are intimidating meter installers.

How many meters have been installed in Dundalk do you know?
    No protests? That's not the Dundalk that I know.

Phoebas wrote: »
    A pellet gun you say? ;)
    That's all ok so - who amongst us can say with hand on heart that we never threatened a worker with a pellet gun!

Well, your hyperbole said 'shotgun'.

Nice the way you forget to mention where I said it was wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Four arrested in Dundalk early on, nipped the whole protest thing in the bud. Three of them were very well known to the Gardai already. When the one who couldn't remember his name was identified, it turned out there was a warrant for his arrest out in Carlow.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2014/10/02/four-arrested-in-dundalk-following-water-meter-protest/

You posted this many times before about known criminals wandering around Dundalk,would you not have been better served ringing the Gardai than constantly proclaiming it on Boards? Perhaps it suited you & the crowd you support to allow them to become part of the protest so you could use it as a stick to beat the decent protesters with?:rolleyes:

Just back to dxhound there and his RNU link.
    Any thoughts dx on the way enda has being using a rape victim who was a high up member in that same organisation to attack political rivals?

• Advertisement

Nice the way you forget to mention where I said it was wrong too.

I just accept that as your default setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

zerks wrote: »
    You posted this many times before about known criminals wandering around Dundalk,would you not have been better served ringing the Gardai than constantly proclaiming it on Boards? Perhaps it suited you & the crowd you support to allow them to become part of the protest so you could use it as a stick to beat the decent protesters with?:rolleyes:

Known criminals can't resist a Dundalk water meter draws them out from every where :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

gandalf wrote: »

No sign of Frankie F swinging elbows tonight. Too many cops around. See him sneaking off in that video.

That it's wrong to use violence to protest?
    That is my default setting.
    Thanks for noticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So, I want to table a motion...

Who fancies a pint after the protest on Dec 10th?

Lets get an unofficial beers going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No no phoebo you are deft at not responding. In fact I've personally called your post out about four times and have nothing in response...

It appears that whenever you are called out to answer questions on your posts. Your disappear quickly. The stroll back in later with nothing about the original discussion.

So, I want to table a motion...

Who fancies a pint after the protest on Dec 10th?

Lets get an unofficial beers going.

Might just do that.
    If I can get away, mad busy coming up to the auld Crimbo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,007 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How many meters have been installed in Dundalk do you know?
    No protests? That's not the Dundalk that I know.

I asked before for people to post from anywhere round the country to see if my observation of the scene on the ground is typical. Dozens of streets and estates have been metered in the Dundalk, including my own, with no interference from protestors. I drove by many of the sites over the last few weeks and there was never any protestor presence. Those early protest by the paramilitaries petered out and apart from two incidents where IW equipment was set on fire during the night any other incidents have been only been a few at individual houses. Like the one in the video where there was a confrontation between a man an the workers.

One video like the one from Clonmel can give the impression that a whole town is out protesting. I haven't heard of any protests at meter installations in this general area, like Drogheda, Navan, Kells, Cavan etc. At this stage IW are saying they have put in half a million meters. If true, it couldn't have happened if what we see in videos from some areas of Dublin is going on everywhere.

Is there anyone here from a provincial town anywhere who has observed widespread Dublin style protests with groups standing beside workers and filming them and shouting at them? There was a radio report the other day which gave the impression that Cobh is overrun with protestors of that variety. Anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Might just do that.
    If I can get away, mad busy coming up to the auld Crimbo.....

My busiest time of year too, but I've already started telling customers I'll be off that day, because "I've important business to attend to"

Half of my customers ask me "you're marchin for the water"? The other half ask if I've got the wife pregnant again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Following this thread over the past few weeks now.

Yet to find any pro IW people here to actually argue a good point about IW, nothing.
    Just waiting and hoping for the one or two idiot protesters to do something stupid isn't a argument to defend IW.

I asked before for people to post from anywhere round the country to see if my observation of the scene on the ground is typical. Dozens of streets and estates have been metered in the Dundalk, including my own, with no interference from protestors. I drove by many of the sites over the last few weeks and there was never any protestor presence. Those early protest by the paramiliatries petered out and apart from two incidents where IW equipment was set on fire during the night any other incidents have been only been a few at individual houses. Like the one in the video where there was a confrontation between a man an the workers.

One video like the one from Clonmel can give the impression that a whole town is out protesting. I haven't heard of any protests at meter installations in this general area, like Drogheda, Navan, Kells, Cavan etc. At this stage IW are saying they have put in half a million meters. If true, it couldn't have happened if what we see in videos from some areas of Dublin is going on everywhere.

Is there anyone here from a provincial town anywhere who has observed widespread Dublin style protests with groups standing beside workers and filming them and shouting at them? There was a radio report the other day which gave the impression that Cobh is overrun with protestors of that variety. Anywhere else?

Maybe in Dundalk, a well known spot for dissidents and all that goes with that, people won't get involved for that very reason.
    Do you think, dx, that dissident republicans are involved in the countrywide protests?

listermint wrote: »
    No no phoebo you are deft at not responding. In fact I've personally called your post out about four times and have nothing in response...

My post was called out!!! I didn't even know that was a thing.

I must have missed your contribution - fast moving thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

IW no longer about conservation so the argument in favour of its existence has disappeared. Now the goalposts will be moved to suit another agenda.

It's hilarious that the same auld dissidents, criminals, etc etc being spouted out by certain elements trying to discredit genuine protest when the vast majority of protestors are peaceful and would have nothing to do with ciminality.

zerks wrote: »
    It's probably on Podcast but Matt Cooper had a very interesting interview with Independent News' financial editor.Made some great points about IW being off the balance sheet to massage the figures for the Troika.Some very creative accounting took place & IW was merely set up for this purpose & very far from "Water conservation" that was peddled to us.

Sometimes the most obvious thing is staring us in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

eug87 wrote: »

Yet to find any pro IW people here to actually argue a good point about IW, nothing.
    Just waiting and hoping for the one or two idiot protesters to do something stupid isn't a argument to defend IW.

It seems to be the sum total of the Governments strategy alright. That and spouting crud like "clarity" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,007 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe in Dundalk, a well known spot for dissidents and all that goes with that, people won't get involved for that very reason.
    Do you think, dx, that dissident republicans are involved in the countrywide protests?

That exactly right. No ordinary working person would have anything to do with them. And on a slightly side issue, I cannot see how any protestors who are currently unemployed and looking for work would be making themselves attractive prospects for prospective employers who watched their videos.

RNU are active in the protests in Dublin according to their own site. They are also active in the North according to their own site, spotting activity which seems to be in prepartion for metering and charging there. I have no idea if they are active anywhere else.

What about where you are. Any metering done, any protestors standing beside the workers filming them?

Sobko wrote: »
    IW no longer about conservation so the argument in favour of its existence has disappeared. Now the goalposts will be moved to suit another agenda.

It's hilarious that the same auld dissidents, criminals, etc etc being spouted out by certain elements trying to discredit genuine protest when the vast majority of protestors are peaceful and would have nothing to do with ciminality.

Look, we have government TD's coming out every day now with the 'bomb threat', 'bullets in the post' 'dissident' crap.
    One Labour TD had 'traitor' scribbled on his office door and whoever did it threw up the chicken curry he had on the way back from the pub too.

This proves, beyond doubt, that it's republicans behind all the protests.

No doubt about it, no doubt at all.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Look, we have government TD's coming out every day now with the 'bomb threat', 'bullets in the post' 'dissident' crap.
    One Labour TD had 'traitor' scribbled on his office door and whoever did it threw up the chicken curry he had on the way back from the pub too.

My local had a loaded spud gun waved at him today, and the terrorist had three live potatoes on his pocket.
    Will be on the news tomorrow im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Don't forget about the anti-IW dissidents training FARC rebels in their guerrilla tactics, advanced techniques in water ballooning and the ancient art of brick lobbing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Time for another poll! heh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

My busiest time of year too, but I've already started telling customers I'll be off that day, because "I've important business to attend to"

Half of my customers ask me "you're marchin for the water"? The other half ask if I've got the wife pregnant again:pac:

Busy for me too, I'm on call 363 days per year,
    But I'll make time for it

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

eug87 wrote: »

I am pro paying for water. I concede that IW as an organisation have/will make mistakes.

The main reason I agree with paying for water is simple. The state takes in money, and pays out money. The deficit in this has to be managed. Taking in money for water (using metered methods) is fair. However, I do think that the first step should be to lower the money going out of the state funds. But the left wing unions prevent this by making change and efficiency a difficult task in the public sector.

[ducts behind couch]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Satriale wrote: »
    My local had a loaded spud gun waved at him today, and the terrorist had three live potatoes on his pocket.
    Will be on the news tomorrow im sure.

I'll take your loaded spud gun and raise you a super-soaker with a 10 metre range and extra large 15litre water tank.

I am pro paying for water. I concede that IW as an organisation have/will make mistakes.

The main reason I agree with paying for water is simple. The state takes in money, and pays out money. The deficit in this has to be managed. Taking in money for water (using metered methods) is fair. However, I do think that the first step should be to lower the money going out of the state funds. But the left wing unions prevent this by making change and efficiency a difficult task in the public sector.

[ducts behind couch]

That is a failure of the current government. Failure to reform which is what they promised. I agree 100% that Government spending needs to be lowered. They need to be ruthless with the public sector and say f**k the unions but it seems like that time has passed. So it seems like were stuck with a bloated welfare system and a highly beaurocratic and inefficient public sector and the Govt will be out on their ear soon over Irish Water.

(Also ducks behind couch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

That is a failure of the current government. Failure to reform which is what they promised. I agree 100% that Government spending needs to be lowered. They need to be ruthless with the public sector and say f**k the unions but it seems like that time has passed. So it seems like were stuck with a bloated welfare system and a highly beaurocratic and inefficient public sector and the Govt will be out on their ear soon over Irish Water.

(Also ducks behind couch)

I wouldn't blame the government too much. I sympathise with them in that they can't tell the unions to go F themselves. I have direct experience of this. The fcukers have no problem is shutting down an operation/department (through striking) when you want to make any sort of significant change. Because of this fact, you end up compromising on your ideas. I had to leave the public sector because of this. I just could not deal with people that were not driven to improve, and just want things to remain the same but fight for more money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement