Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

I wouldn't blame the government too much. I sympathise with them in that they can't tell the unions to go F themselves. I have direct experience of this. The fcukers have no problem is shutting down an operation/department (through striking) when you want to make any sort of significant change. Because of this fact, you end up compromising on your ideas. I had to leave the public sector because of this. I just could not deal with people that were not driven to improve, and just want things to remain the same but fight for more money.

Yeah I know a girl who packed in a job with the HSE a few weeks ago she was driven demented by some of the reasons you mentioned. Not to derail much further but am I right in saying that there are roughly 600k people employed in the public sector with just under 2m employed in the economy? 600k seems like an obscene number. I heard that recently and was shocked. Must research it a bit tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Will there be an option of importing water to the network the same way as one can import esb?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

I am pro paying for water. I concede that IW as an organisation have/will make mistakes.

The main reason I agree with paying for water is simple. The state takes in money, and pays out money. The deficit in this has to be managed. Taking in money for water (using metered methods) is fair. However, I do think that the first step should be to lower the money going out of the state funds. But the left wing unions prevent this by making change and efficiency a difficult task in the public sector.

[ducts behind couch]

Thanks for the reply.
    Right don't understand your logic on the last line because the biggest parasites in public sector history plus party interests are running the show in Irish water.
    John Tierney,
    responsible for poolbeg incinerator Not one brick laid down cost 100million.

Hubert Kearns
    Sligo County Manager leaving in his wake a crippling debt of €80million.

Coleman Sheehy
    The brother of a Fine Gael donor that donated thousands for FG campaign.

Billy Moore
    also chairman of the Longford Westmeath Labour party.

Mark Mortell
    Former FG adviser recieved 10k for some consultancy work so far.

Jacqueline Hall
    10-year stint at Rehab as business development manager.

So far, Irish Water has clocked up €86m in consultants' fees, with the usual suspects like former Anglo auditors Ernst & Young, blue-blood legal firm A&L Goodbody, former AIB auditor KPMG and well-connected legal firm McCann Fitzgerald mopping up around €11m in consultancy fees.

About 29 staff will earn over €100,000 at the quango with about one-third of the staff entitled to a bonus of up to 15 per cent.

Having already paid for the treatment of my water supply once already I'm no handing a extra cent to this cowboys laughing all way to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

eug87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Right don't understand your logic on the last line because the biggest parasites in public sector history plus party interests are running the show in Irish water.
    John Tierney,
    responsible for poolbeg incinerator Not one brick laid down cost 100million.

Hubert Kearns
    Sligo County Manager leaving in his wake a crippling debt of €80million.

Coleman Sheehy
    The brother of a Fine Gael donor that donated thousands for FG campaign.

Billy Moore
    also chairman of the Longford Westmeath Labour party.

Mark Mortell
    Former FG adviser recieved 10k for some consultancy work so far.

Jacqueline Hall
    10-year stint at Rehab as business development manager.

So far, Irish Water has clocked up €86m in consultants' fees, with the usual suspects like former Anglo auditors Ernst & Young, blue-blood legal firm A&L Goodbody, former AIB auditor KPMG and well-connected legal firm McCann Fitzgerald mopping up around €11m in consultancy fees.

About 29 staff will earn over €100,000 at the quango with about one-third of the staff entitled to a bonus of up to 15 per cent.

Having already paid for the treatment of my water supply once already I'm no handing a extra cent to this cowboys laughing all way to the bank.

I think he is talking about the layers upon layers of uneeded management in the public sector that do feck all and are an absolute drain on the economy. These guys are protected by the unions who are seemingly untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Following this thread over the past few weeks now.

Yet to find any pro IW people here to actually argue a good point about IW, nothing.
    Just waiting and hoping for the one or two idiot protesters to do something stupid isn't a argument to defend IW.

You're following a thread in After Hours waiting for intelligent comment? You'll be lucky. This is just a thread for "down with that sort thing" posts. There is much more intelligent debate in the thread in the politics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Following this thread over the past few weeks now.

Yet to find any pro IW people here to actually argue a good point about IW, nothing.
    Just waiting and hoping for the one or two idiot protesters to do something stupid isn't a argument to defend IW.

I don't think anyone can or wants to defend Irish Water. I do, however, have a serious problem with the actions of some of the protesters and those with an alternative agenda, who are using this for their own purpose. It takes away from a very legitimate cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bajer101 wrote: »
    You're following a thread in After Hours waiting for intelligent comment? You'll be lucky. This is just a thread for "down with that sort thing" posts. There is much more intelligent debate in the thread in the politics forum.

And yet here you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

And yet here you are.

And that Your Honour, concludes the case for the prosecution. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

bajer101 wrote: »
    You're following a thread in After Hours waiting for intelligent comment? You'll be lucky.

Nonsense like that, really says more about you than any contributor to this thread thus far.

I asked before for people to post from anywhere round the country to see if my observation of the scene on the ground is typical. Dozens of streets and estates have been metered in the Dundalk, including my own, with no interference from protestors. I drove by many of the sites over the last few weeks and there was never any protestor presence. Those early protest by the paramilitaries petered out and apart from two incidents where IW equipment was set on fire during the night any other incidents have been only been a few at individual houses. Like the one in the video where there was a confrontation between a man an the workers.

One video like the one from Clonmel can give the impression that a whole town is out protesting. I haven't heard of any protests at meter installations in this general area, like Drogheda, Navan, Kells, Cavan etc. At this stage IW are saying they have put in half a million meters. If true, it couldn't have happened if what we see in videos from some areas of Dublin is going on everywhere.

Is there anyone here from a provincial town anywhere who has observed widespread Dublin style protests with groups standing beside workers and filming them and shouting at them? There was a radio report the other day which gave the impression that Cobh is overrun with protestors of that variety. Anywhere else?

my area in Drogheda was done in June - very peaceful here and I actually spoke a few times to the meter installers. They couldnt have been nicer guys.....
    That does not mean I'm paying for my water - NOT after what has gone on in the last 2 months and especially after all the lies and the entire mess this has become. Back tracking now only shows how much we were being fooled and would have been fleeced. I dont trust Enda Kenny or Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, it is all getting very repetitive and very boring now. Protestors have had their say,,, say,,,say.... say, and have been heard and seen. Period.. Or are we going tio have a Greenham Common, or Shell in Mayo, where professional protestors move in..
    It is all getting same old same old same old

Just seems they do not know how to stop now. And that has potential danger in it.

Maybe the nearness of Christmas will see an end to it.. More interesting to watch the supermarket price war on Roses and Quality Street and hoping Dunnes will once again sell fruit and vegetables for a few cents..

Gets though wearisome to have to check aa county traffic and other sites to ensure am going to be able to go about my day without being impeded by demos.

The Gardai are going to have a wonderful Christmas with all the overtimeand special payments too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Is there even a Pro-charges argument to be made on this site now..

All i see is staunchly pro Fine Gael wacko's sinking with the ship.

Can i ad that this water protest movement has made me feel proud to be Irish again for the first time in 6 years!!

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Is there even a Pro-charges argument to be made on this site now..

All i see is staunchly pro Fine Gael wacko's sinking with the ship.

Probably because like on the comments on the breakling news site, anyone saying anything positive is shot down. we are the sensible ones who will quietly pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, it is all getting very repetitive and very boring now. Protestors have had their say,,, say,,,say.... say, and have been heard and seen. Period.. Or are we going tio have a Greenham Common, or Shell in Mayo, where professional protestors move in..
    It is all getting same old same old same old

Just seems they do not know how to stop now. And that has potential danger in it.

Maybe the nearness of Christmas will see an end to it.. More interesting to watch the supermarket price war on Roses and Quality Street and hoping Dunnes will once again sell fruit and vegetables for a few cents..

Gets though wearisome to have to check aa county traffic and other sites to ensure am going to be able to go about my day without being impeded by demos.

The Gardai are going to have a wonderful Christmas with all the overtimeand special payments too...

Sorry for obviously ruining your very busy day, you go about your business and well be over here fighting for what we believe in, what a complete load of rubbish your post is.

Shin

Probably because like on the comments on the breakling news site, anyone saying anything positive is shot down. we are the sensible ones who will quietly pay.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10329182_848049901914007_893274321381423798_n.jpg?oh=d9aae2cd74a69c8b4a76b18f178c03dc&oe=54E2AE65&__gda__=1423632984_c603694ea6dad2702806d99b35566789

Sensible you say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Some folks just post to get a reaction. They are not interested in sharing knowledge or facts to the discussion.

shinzon wrote: »
    Sorry for obviously ruining your very busy day, you go about your business and well be over here fighting for what we believe in, what a complete load of rubbish your post is.

Shin

Proves my point totally.. fighting? Nah...just making a total pest of yourselves and showing Ireland up...and the likes of you can never ruin my day or anything. So you cannot make a point without insulting?

Proves my point totally.. fighting? Nah...just making a total pest of yourselves and showing Ireland up...and the likes of you can never ruin my day or anything. So you cannot make a point without insulting?

and your making your point beautifully keep doing it and show yourself up

Shin

Its quite evident from your posting style that your day has been ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

shinzon wrote: »
    and your making your point beautifully keep doing it and show yourself up

Shin

Don't bother. There is a litany of posting for a reaction. Bored of a Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Don't bother. There is a litany of posting for a reaction. Bored of a Saturday morning.

Yeah true leave them off im sure normal service will resume soon, plus at the end of the day if the water charges are beaten you wont hear a peep from anyone here pro side or protests for there immediate reinstatement so they can moan and bitch all they want

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Nah...just making a total pest of yourself and showing Ireland up...

Enough about Enda........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Don't you mean "reasonable" ones?

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Its quite evident from your posting style that your day has been ruined.

???? see how wrong you can be? My day is as it was always planned to be. Just watching the same old same old same old.....last stings of a dying wasp you are making. Wondering how long you can keep it up and the Gardai are rolling the money in.

I am not dishonouring your cause; you have every right to protest etc and say what you believe in but not to disrupt the lives of others who do not believe as you do. Not to threaten and intimidate those in authority. Not to block towns so that others cannot access what they need. That is not democracy.

Time to stop. It really is. Each side is getting polarised.

???? see how wrong you can be? My day is as it was always planned to be. Just watching the same old same old same old.....last stings of a dying wasp you are making. Wondering how long you can keep it up and the Gardai are rolling the money in.

I am not dishonouring your cause; you have every right to protest etc and say what you believe in but not to disrupt the lives of others who do not believe as you do. Not to threaten and intimidate those in authority. Not to block towns so that others cannot access what they need. That is not democracy.

Time to stop. It really is. Each side is getting polarised.

Enda and his crony mates polarised this debate a long time ago.
    It's the last sting of a dying wasp ok, that wasp is FG and Labour.

I am not dishonouring your cause.

Calling people pests is hardly not dishonouring the cause really is it, where do you suggest people march then so they can get out of your way, you've had the march in Dublin and the march in November and another on the 10th of December are you really saying there disrupting your life that much

I don't think so

Shin

Enda and his crony mates polarised this debate a long time ago.
    It's the last sting of a dying wasp ok, that wasp is FG and Labour.

“People are no longer afraid of the Government. They’re increasingly aware that the Government is afraid of them,”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

There is no one stopping you from expressing you're comments here!

And in general,those opposing the protests,have had more than their fair share of coverage,unchallenged in some cases.

And given the negative and biased media coverage,and the negative smear campaign by the goverment...

It's a bit rich to try to claim the moral highground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What I find odd is that a certain demographic here would be championing other countries if their population stood up to their government in the way we have here.Now that it's their own bretheren, they are calling them all kinds of names and railing against them.A very odd mindset.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    What I find odd is that a certain demographic here would be championing other countries if their population stood up to their government in the way we have here.Now that it's their own bretheren, they are calling them all kinds of names and railing against them.A very odd mindset.

As someone posted yesterday, they'd be the ones informing on the rebels during the rising if they were alive then.
    Maybe they're the descendants of grasses?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement