Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I mean I have an opinion too, everyone has one.
    Gene Kerrigan, writing in the Sunday Independent, might be more representative of your opinion.

Denis O'Brien is a busy guy and probably doesn't get time to read all the way to the back page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Phoebas wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan, writing in the Sunday Independent, might be more representative of your opinion.

Denis O'Brien is a busy guy and probably doesn't get time to read all the way to the back page.

Hed have a lot more journalistic credibility then the host of the Saturday night show in all fairness

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

I have pointed out earlier on the last threads, the Indo has been a sharp critic of austerity
    So what O' Connor is claiming in his piece is substantially correct - his paper are on record as having been opponents of austerity?

And he is not making this claim (as you suggest) because they write his pay cheque but because on this point (whatever about anything else he writes) he is right?

shinzon wrote: »
    Hed have a lot more journalistic credibility then the host of the Saturday night show in all fairness

Shin
    True that.

When Brendan O'Connor writes a piece, he 'probably receives cheques for doing so'. When Kerrigan writes, he has 'journalistic credibility'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So what O' Connor is claiming in his piece is substantially correct - his paper are on record as having been opponents of austerity?
    Why the question marks? I already stated that earlier, and you quoted me on it too. :confused:
    And he is not making this claim (as you suggest) because they write his pay cheque but because on this point (whatever about anything else he writes) he is right?

I never claimed he was writing it because of his pay cheque, if you reread what I actually wrote, instead of looking for something to try and trip me up, you'd see I actually implied that he was defending his employers.

Jeez you're hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

http://www.thejournal.ie/today-fms-sam-smyth-changes-topic-during-discussion-about-his-own-sacking-255216-Oct2011/

Sam Smyth made an anti O'Brien comment on air on today fm and lost his job

Im sure Denis's higher ups are all to aware of that.

Smyth later won damages for unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

He is an opponent of middle and ruling class austerity.

He has openly rallied against the public sector on a consistent basis.

And has consistently caused divide between the public/private sector.

O'Connor from 2011...

"Similarly, the Troika told us this time out that we have reduced the public sector sufficiently, so that Croke Park stands and no pay-cuts in the public sector are necessary. Obviously, in the real world, this is not true. But in the technical world of the memorandum, where it suits everyone for it to be true, it is considered true."

His real world no doubt,not the real world of the cutbacks,poverty and homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Why the question marks? I already stated that earlier, and you quoted me on it too. :confused:
    You questioned O’Connor’s motivation for writing the piece but you accept that what he wrote is true. A bit bizarre, no?

And why did you mention his pay cheque at all if you were not inviting us to draw the obvious inference?

But no matter. The really interesting thing about this is that about half a dozen of your fellow antis came wading in, to give O’Connor a good verbal seeing to. Bearing in mind remember that what he is saying in this instance is true.

It appears that they are attacking the Sunday Independent by rote – which of course they are free to do. But it does rather undermine their claims of bias wouldn’t you say?
    Pocoyo wrote: »
    Sam Smyth made an anti O'Brien comment on air on today fm and lost his job

Im sure Denis's higher ups are all to aware of that.

Smyth later won damages for unfair dismissal.
    What has this got to do with the veracity of what O'Connor wrote today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Worse still it has been clasped to the bosoms of those with no agenda at all,but who have a calling to revolt,rebel and instil this same zeal in everybody else.

Even now,we see the Dec 10th folks lookin to browbeat SIPTU into calling for strikes on the day as part of a day of "Action".

To what end ?

Amidst the loud clamour for rebellion,revolt and all the rest,there appears to be very little actual reference to what's supposed to happen then........plan B if you will....?

To no end other than to allow the crowd blow off some steam, feel they a 'doing something', and 'sending a message' to the government. In practice, nothing though.

There is no plan B. That is the goldfish memory syndrome and shows how shallow the protests are. It really doesnt go further than 'get the government out'. The fact that governments have been thrown out for years, without any fundamental change or improvement in the quality of governance or even the trivial aspects like corruption, cronyism, quangos, accountability which seems to exercise the minds of the disgruntled to an even greater extent than the issues that actually have an effect on their lives, doesnt seem to have registered with them.

Each party just yo-yos in support as if the voters cant remember what happened more than 5 years earlier: labour floods in in 1992, dumped out two years later, FG meltdown in 2002 and FF in, FF decimation in 2011 FG back with record number of seats. Greens and PDs rise and fall and eliminated. (Such is the simplemindedness of the the Irish voter that it was the Greens bad luck that they went into govt with FF. Had they not, rather than wipeout in 2011 they would have won 20 seats- with exactly the same policies !). Now, having vented their kneejerk fury at FF, FG, and FF in quick succession they are now being forced to turn to another flag colour and latch on the the idea that there is some salvation with SF. Really, him dim are the Irish ????:confused:

You questioned O’Connor’s motivation for writing the piece but you accept that what he wrote is true. A bit bizarre, no?

Where?
    And again, I questioned the coincidence that the Indo were indeed in some instances harsh critics of austerity, and discrediting ministers (of which Dennis doesn't benefit)

Yet their attack on the water meter protests and the people attending them are relentless.

Of which uncle Dennis does stand to benefit from.
    And why did you mention his pay cheque at all if you were not inviting us to draw the obvious inference?

Once again, I pointed out he is defending the Indo, of which he writes for, and I'm sure he doesn't do it for free.

If their customer base declines, his job might not be safe/or pay as well.

If he was to criticise them, I dont think his job would be tenable for much longer either.

Not difficult to understand tbh.
    But no matter. The really interesting thing about this is that about half a dozen of your fellow antis came wading in, to give O’Connor a good verbal seeing to. Bearing in mind remember that what he is saying in this instance is true

It appears that they are attacking the Sunday Independent by rote – which of course they are free to do. But it does rather undermine their claims of bias wouldn’t you say? .

They're entitled to their opinion too just like Brendan. :D

Now, forgive me if I don't get back to you for a bit, I'm off out for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What a load of horse manure and auld claptrap. It says one Gardai had his legs burned when he was pushed up against the radiator of moan Burtons car at the tallaght protest, what the f@©k! Are they saying he was crushed so hard against the car his legs ended up in the engine bay? What breed of absolute moron wrote that shlte? They should be tarred and feathered!

Not sure about the tarring and feathering proposal, but the piece also states that some gardai were relieved of their own pepper spray and batons, as they were directed to remain facing the car, (which had been parked in a position which was not amenable to making a smooth exit, if things were to turn nasty.)

The quality of the policing of the incident looks a bit questionable.

Did the journalist make up the notion of it being possible to be burnt by a car radiator, or did a Garda source?

What has this got to do with the veracity of what O'Connor wrote today?

Probably nothing its just there is an endless amount of links to be posted that show this government and their cronies as crooks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I ask , this €100 water grant. Do you get this if you've just registered . Or do you have to apply separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I had to laugh at the Independent's water coverage on their website this morning. Almost universally negative portrayal of the Anti-IW side. It is bordering on pantomime at the moment.

Next step is to go down the "They Live" route :)

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/images/they-live-obey-l1.gif

Can I ask , this €100 water grant. Do you get this if you've just registered . Or do you have to apply separately.

I presume you'd have to actually pay the bill too.

Just heard on the midday news, the Govt have scrapped plans to introduce the broadcasting charge in the new year.

Fair play to them.

Though I can't help think they're now climbing down on things quicker than a scaffolder in a lightning storm, possibly due to the protests.

Just heard on the midday news, the Govt have scrapped plans to introduce the broadcasting charge in the new year.

Fair play to them.

Was it a recording from last year? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Smidge wrote: »
    In a similar vein and I think relevent here, there was a report on yesterdays 6.1 news(I think).
    It was about a man who looked to be in his fifties who was the full time carer for his son. His son had Autism and appeared to be very severly affected(the son was 16 and looked to functioning at a much lower age range).

The man had given up a pensionable job 10 years ago to be a full time carere for his son. It was very obvious that the boy needed immense care and attention, they had to have fairly high perimiter railings installed to stop him from leaveing as he is a complete flight risk.
    Lots of detail in the report and it really caught my attention.
    The man CLEARLY had his hands full and his work majorly cut out for him.
    His carers allowance had been stopped as it was no longer "deemed that his son required full time care and attention"!!!!!
    I was sick to my stomach. Saving a few bob and making this mans life even more difficult than it must already be.
    When you see and hear the figures for salaries/consultants etc etc it is sickening.
    You can really see who our government are responsible to and for.
    And it isnt the people of this country.
    Its the people that our government really work for.

God, this is unreal.

My sister is unemployed and looking hard for work but unfortunately no luck. SW made contact with a letter calling her in for a meeting. She had follow up meetings too. She was given wrong information on courses like addresses phones numbers etc. SW leading her astray just to claim - you didn't take this or that and her SW dole is stopped. Another time they were forcing her onto a fetac level 3 computers course (juniour cert level). Something that would be suitable for example people who left school early and have qualifications. My sisters reckons, SW picks people with high qualifications for these courses so that they are degraded and they walk and SW is then stopped. Job or no job, sw want you off it.

It's only a matter of time before the government will introduce a grant for people to buy a rope, so long as those who claim for such a rope grant will pledge to use it around their necks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Fair play to them.

Though I can't help think they're now climbing down on things quicker than a scaffolder in a lightning storm, possibly due to the protests.

This is good news for my pockets but I can't see it helping the governemt much. People already smell blood and this is only going to reinforce that.

This is good news for my pockets but I can't see it helping the governemt much. People already smell blood and this is only going to reinforce that.

You mean you don't pay your TV licence?

• Advertisement

Maybe like myself, they don't own a tv anymore.

Do you buy many licenses for items you don't own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

No I don't own one Mary :) I have a laptop and hook a PC screen up to it whenever I want to watch netflix or a tv show(which I sometimes get for free off the Internet but don't tell anyone ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I dont because I don't have TV. I would with this charge.

40 inch monitor connected to an android orr xbmc box!

GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Wasn't that the whole idea of the broadcasting charge, to replace the tv licence? A lot of people have turned away from conventional tv and are using laptops, tablets and smartphones instead. I know in my own case I have a tv but it rarely gets switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

IW needs to be abolished.
    Taxed twice on water to feed these parasites(IW) then to wait two or three years later for that bill to rise and rise and possibly taken over from a muti cooperation.

Cutting broadcasting charges doesn't do it for me, in fact no sweaters will do anything.
    We must keep the most important resource close under the Irish peoples control.

I know in my own case I have a tv but it rarely gets switched on.

Good... TV is a precious commodity that must be conserved,Ryan Tubridy isnt free you know hes a natural resource that we must all pay for!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Sure whats another 100 million euro for metre installations

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1123/661882-bord-gais-underestimate-cost-of-water-metres/

Irish water a monumental waste of money

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

shinzon wrote: »
    Sure whats another 100 million euro for metre installations

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1123/661882-bord-gais-underestimate-cost-of-water-metres/

Irish water a monumental waste of money

Shin

It really begs the question what the hell were Bord Gais doing. The whole idea about awarding them the contract is the setup costs would be minimized!! I wonder did any of the consultants involved in formulating those setup costs get full time high paying jobs in Irish Water. Considering Siemens offered to do the whole supply and installation of meters FOC only taking a percentage of the fees for a setup period after the whole process went live this is just another major question mark over the whole oversight of this process.

The clear thing from my perspective is that our Government slept walked through the whole process of the setup of Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

gandalf wrote: »
    It really begs the question what the hell were Bord Gais doing. The whole idea about awarding them the contract is the setup costs would be minimized!! I wonder did any of the consultants involved in formulating those setup costs get full time high paying jobs in Irish Water. Considering Siemens offered to do the whole supply and installation of meters FOC only taking a percentage of the fees for a setup period after the whole process went live this is just another major question mark over the whole oversight of this process.

The clear thing from my perspective is that our Government slept walked through the whole process of the setup of Irish Water.

To me it looks like they are shifting the blame away from the Government and towards the door of Bord Gais. To underestimate costs by 25% is a massive balls-up. Senator John Whelan (Lab) said during the week that the Government were sold a pup by Bord Gais. I presume this is what he is referring to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement