Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice meal before Christmas - Roast Duck with Orange and Ginger

• 17-11-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Roast Duck with Orange and Ginger

I'm cooking duck with an asian-style twist and will be doing a practice version this week to iron out any issues but wondering if any of you have suggestions on sides. I've goose fat so will probably do garlic roasted potatoes but the dining companions don't like butternut squash per the recipe. Help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Braised red cabbage, the sharpness from the vinegar will help with the rich fatty duck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I just watched a repeat of a Rick stein show which used a similar recipe to the one you link to actually. Though he braised his duck in OJ and it wasn't whole.

http://kitchengoodies.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/duck-in-spiced-orange-juice/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

To keep it Christmassy, why not do some shredded, stir fried brussel sprouts? Worth a try even if you think you don't like them if you've only ever had them boiled before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Minder wrote: »
    Braised red cabbage, the sharpness from the vinegar will help with the rich fatty duck.

I've never yet tasted red cabbage that I liked. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

nosietoes wrote: »
    To keep it Christmassy, why not do some shredded, stir fried brussel sprouts? Worth a try even if you think you don't like them if you've only ever had them boiled before.

Great idea. I'm very fond of sprouts done like that. I might even sub in some crispy duck skin where I'd normally use bacon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement