Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anxious about college next year.

Options
  • 17-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,
    I'm planning to study computer science next year in dit. I have been at college before but decided not to continue with mental health issues. I passed the year so it wouldn't affect my susi when returning to college. I'm very worried. I worry a lot. I'm worried about finding a cheap clean place to stay. About meeting people who will like me. The course and how good the lectures are. I took a year out to work in a ****ty meat factory to save up money. I should have 16,000 saved for 4 years of college but don't know will this be enough. I hope to get susi since my father is part time self employed so I also help with bills at home. I'm just so anxious about the future. I'd really like if I could find someone to respond though this post is a mess.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 6YearStruggle

DarrenDev wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm planning to study computer science next year in dit. I have been at college before but decided not to continue with mental health issues. I passed the year so it wouldn't affect my susi when returning to college. I'm very worried. I worry a lot. I'm worried about finding a cheap clean place to stay. About meeting people who will like me. The course and how good the lectures are. I took a year out to work in a ****ty meat factory to save up money. I should have 16,000 saved for 4 years of college but don't know will this be enough. I hope to get susi since my father is part time self employed so I also help with bills at home. I'm just so anxious about the future. I'd really like if I could find someone to respond though this post is a mess.

Thanks.

Hi Darren!

Start looking for ideas for accommodation soon, different places/how to get there (which bus/dart etc) and then when the time comes to book it, you'll be straight in there. It'll also save stress when the usual "there's no accommodation in Dublin" stuff starts as that just causes people to choose any place to stay that they can find.

Don't worry, people will like you! There's such an array of people in DIT, people couldn't possibly not. Also the standard of lectures and courses in DIT is so high and the lecturers are so helpful, you've nothing to worry about there :)

When you get anxious or overwhelmed, remember how you got through a job you hated but you managed! You'll do great at college too, it's all stepping stones :)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Hi just to let you know that I am currently doing a masters in DIT and I have mental health issues. It's much better than a university because it is a lot more compact and you get to know people much easier. I previously did arts in Galway and found it quite difficult because of the sheer number of people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

When you get anxious or overwhelmed, remember how you got through a job you hated but you managed! You'll do great at college too, it's all stepping stones :)

Hope this helps!

I just want to draw attention to this point - when you do join DIT remember that aswell as your class tutor who will be happy to help you, there is also the medical service and chaplaincy service there to help you out, and they are completely free of charge to students.

There's also the SU who in fairness to them are usually pretty helpful!

If finances are a worry, you can also look at the DIT Student Assistance Fund, which is there to help people who get into difficulty.

Best of luck dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

great advice above.

You will have a great time so please dont be worried.There are lots of supports available and really DIT is quite small campus wise so you wont be overwhelmed.

If you ever have any problems don't forget DIT (staff and students) are there to help. Everyone needs help with something so dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DarrenDev

Thank you everyone! The advice means a lot. I've been trying to deal with my mental health a lot better. I wasn't aware those services in DIT were free. I'll look into next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement