Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Carrick-On-Shannon isn't the only golf club in Leitrim.

Do tell!'

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mayo- carne is the best course overall, as for parkland I would have to say claremorris. The condition of it during the summer this year was superb and the greens were probably the fastest I played this year.

Galway - ballyconeely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Boards lads - don't do 9 hole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Jaysus, flew off into a panic there. Hooked 3 just gone to the publisher and I thought I was missing a course.

• Advertisement

9 hole course or not, it is still a registered golf course and we played them in an inter-club match this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

This is not easy.....
    Kerry: Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Donegal - Murvagh. (If I was asked again tomorrow I might be tempted to change my mind to either of 2 courses in the same club up in north Inishowen - I'll abide by O.P.s rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.[/

A good portion of the town is in Carlow although it is a wexford town Fix. The planning application for the golf course was submitted to Carlow county council so there is no argument as to its whereabouts. It does market itself as a wexford course probably because its a much better known county than Carlow and attracts a lot more tourism maybe.

Hmmm, fair enough Yettie, but the golf course's website lists 'Co. Wexford' as its address... so that's what I've been using. I even asked them when I was up there in April. I think you should mount an invasion to take it back.

I'm trying to rally the troops William Wallace style. Not having much luck though. Maybe in the spring when the weather improves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

County: Kerry
    Course: Waterville

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've not even played all the courses in my county. Has anyone? But on looks alone, Lahinch is streets ahead of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

yettie1701 wrote: »
    This will be interesting - rare Kevin gets his Geography wrong.

As a Dub :o I would have said Wexford - but would go with the local.
    I guess it is one of them where the town in in one county the course another ? - happens a good bit in Ireland.[/

A good portion of the town is in Carlow although it is a wexford town Fix. The planning application for the golf course was submitted to Carlow county council so there is no argument as to its whereabouts. It does market itself as a wexford course probably because its a much better known county than Carlow and attracts a lot more tourism maybe.

That seems so bizarre when Co Carlow has Carlow GC and Mount Wolseley - you'd think Bunclody would be happy to align itself with those two. By comparison, Wexford has Rosslare and Courtown. The other Wexford courses are ho-hum... and then there's Seafield.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Portarlington for laois.

The heath is way too open and flat. The heritage while kept well isn't anywhere near established yet.

Honorable mention for abbeyleix.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OP has asked for the best course but also for the course we'd most like to play.
    For me, the two are very different.
    Carne gets the best course in Mayo just ahead of Ballinrobe for me.

But the course I'd most want to play is Mulranny. If I could only play one course for the rest of my days, it would be Mulranny. (A 9 hole course Fix!!! ;))

PARlance wrote: »
    OP has asked for the best course but also for the course we'd most like to play.
    For me, the two are very different.
    Carne gets the best course in Mayo just ahead of Ballinrobe for me.

But the course I'd most want to play is Mulranny. If I could only play one course for the rest of my days, it would be Mulranny. (A 9 hole course Fix!!! ;))

I played Mulranny, it was absolutely fantastic!!

Sheep all over the course, fencing wire to protect the greens, the most amazing scenery you can ask for and you can't lose your ball there really as there is no rough, all cut down. Deffo well worth it.

thewobbler wrote: »
    In the interests of tapping into local knowledge.

Name your county, and name the best course in your county. If you feel like it, explain your choice.

But please, no lists, no second places, no coin tosses, no parklands vs links, no sitting on fences. Just an outright opinion which can be compared to another boardsie's opinion.

The one course in your county that you most enjoy.

Yes - I'll be honest - I've made a balls of this thread. :)

Sorry thewobbler.

I played Mulranny, it was absolutely fantastic!!

Sheep all over the course, fencing wire to protect the greens, the most amazing scenery you can ask for and you can't lose your ball there really as there is no rough, all cut down. Deffo well worth it.

Ohhh - now I know why Parlance likes it.

Was there on a bike ride once, don't think I'll ever get back.
    Sorry - I'm out of this thread - sorry again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PARlance wrote: »

Was supposed to be playing it next weekend but cannot make it.

Just watch out for the sheep :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was supposed to be playing it next weekend but cannot make it.

Just watch out for the sheep :)

I know... It's hard to concentrate on your approach when there's a fine bit of mutton in view ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Fermanagh- lough erne

yettie1701 wrote: »

That seems so bizarre when Co Carlow has Carlow GC and Mount Wolseley - you'd think Bunclody would be happy to align itself with those two. By comparison, Wexford has Rosslare and Courtown. The other Wexford courses are ho-hum... and then there's Seafield.

I would really rate Courtown. I think it's a course that really makes you think especially off the tee. You can play all sorts of shots there. It has a great variety of holes too. Hard to believe that Seafield is only a wedge away ill say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Living in Mayo so I'll pick from there.
    Best course in Mayo is Belmullet (Carne).
    From Galway. Best course is Portumna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Galway - Galway Bay has fabulous views, always in superb condition, a great layout every tee shot seems to present a different challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BOB81

To the Laois crew out there, what do ye think of Portarlington? I must say I was highly impressed with the course when I played it, so well kept.

Laois is my second county - and I completely agree would have portarlington up there as my favourite course, the heritage is a quality course but for variation in holes and memorable holes I'd take portarlington all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

the only problem with Portarlington is that geographically its in Offaly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Westmeath - Moate (obviously :D) and from my home county (Wicklow) best I've played there has to be The European (links) and Druids Glen (parkland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Kilkenny: Mount Juliet

FWIW: Played Fota twice this year and don't understand the fuss, fairly bland parkland IMO...

Agreed, always good condition, but not a patch on Cork Golf Club IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

eh New Ross GC is in Kilkenny as is Waterford GC :)

• Advertisement

Limerick - Adare

Kerry - Ballybunion

Kildare - Carton House (Montgomery)

Advertisement