Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Cork

I would say Fota Deerpark

I would even go so far as to say that it's the best 12-months-of-the-year parkland in the country. I've played it in the winter after lots of rain in the weeks beforehand and it would put some courses in their prime to shame. Always, always in top condition

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Laois - Portarlington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Meath - Headfort New.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Cork. Cork Golf Club, cos for some strange reason I always seem to play well enough there. Is it a better course than Fota Deerpark? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Cork. Cork Golf Club, cos for some strange reason I always seem to play well enough there. Is it a better course than Fota Deerpark? No.

Why is Fota better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

h2005 wrote: »
    Galway Golf Club

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

In Down, take RCD out of the equation and Malone has to be up there for a parkland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Donegal. Bundoran.

Joke????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Maybe Carrick on Shannon, Fix. It's claimed that every county in Ireland has a golf course, which is not strictly true as the club is well into Roscommon and is not in Leitrim... as claimed.

But then that's the argument with New Ross, Bunclody and Waterford golf clubs, isn't it!

Carton House - Monty course.

The first tee is in Meath and the rest of the course is in Kildare.

I'm sure there are load - but New Ross Golf club is in Waterford. When you think it is in Wexford.

I'd imagine there are some in 2 counties.
    And again, Fix, the address is listed on their website as Wexford. Perhaps Wexford is just that much more attractive. Seeing as that's where I live, I can understand their rationale!

New Ross GC is in Kilkenny, not Wexford or Waterford - (it's about a 20 min drive to the Waterford border).

The OH's auld lad is a member there.

• Advertisement

And before I completely drag things off topic.

Home county is Sligo.

Co Sligo GC (Rosses Point) would be my pick, just edging out Enniscrone.

Castle Dargan is the only 18 hole parkland in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

mount juliet - kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

mike12 wrote: »
    Joke????

No joke! Favourite links course in the county with the views to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

I played Bundoran last summer and for me personally it was probably the worst links course I have played. Strandhill, County Sligo, Enniscrone, Carne, Lahinch light years ahead for me.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    I played Bundoran last summer and for me personally it was probably the worst links course I have played. Strandhill, County Sligo, Enniscrone, Carne, Lahinch light years ahead for me.
    Fully agree of the 25 links courses i have played it is the worst. In a county that has so many super links to even rate it is strange. I hope by the time i have the 50+ links played it is still on the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Why is Fota better?

Posted that on the phone, should've read yes.:-(. Far more character in Cork GC and a lot more variation than Fota. That's not to say Fota is a bad track, I just never play it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Fully agree of the 25 links courses i have played it is the worst. In a county that has so many super links to even rate it is strange. I hope by the time i have the 50+ links played it is still on the bottom.
    Bundoran really isnt a links course though, is it?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

About 1/3rd of Bundoran plays more like parkland so I wouldn't call it a pure links.
    I've always hated a long par 4 where the tee box backs onto the hotel, think it's the 10th.
    It's a slog uphill & everytime I've played it the prevailing wind is back into your face, one of those golf holes you'll think you'll never reach.
    The views from the next hole are spectacular mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

Everyone has a favourite i suppose but no need to run a course into the ground because you dont like it yourself.The thread asks about the best in your own county and not the ones you'd like to slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

2 counties for me:

Dublin: Portmarnock

Clare: Lahinch Old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

PARlance wrote: »
    OP has asked for the best course but also for the course we'd most like to play.
    For me, the two are very different.
    Carne gets the best course in Mayo just ahead of Ballinrobe for me.

But the course I'd most want to play is Mulranny. If I could only play one course for the rest of my days, it would be Mulranny. (A 9 hole course Fix!!! ;))

nice to see some love for mulranny. probably one of the most scenic courses in ireland IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 51,788 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Triboro wrote: »
    Everyone has a favourite i suppose but no need to run a course into the ground because you dont like it yourself.The thread asks about the best in your own county and not the ones you'd like to slate.

Someone should start a thread on "the worse golf courses you have played".:D

Someone should start a thread on "the worse golf courses you have played".:D

Played some poor courses myself but wouldn't be posting on here about them, have to play whatever's available when you travel.. They might not be Augusta but what the heck,better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Played some poor courses myself but wouldn't be posting on here about them, have to play whatever's available when you travel.. They might not be Augusta but what the heck,better than nothing!

Worst day on the golf course.......and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Any countys not done yet? Anyone fancy doing a list/table?

Worst day on the golf course.......and all that :)

Yeah, tryin to break 100 and the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

leonards wrote: »
    Any countys not done yet? Anyone fancy doing a list/table?

I've been meaning to get around to that.

Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Tyrone don't have any entries that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Many interesting answers.

Good debate about Laois and Cork. I've played a good bit of golf there and can see how they are all close there.

Not too many parklands mentioned in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

If someone feels a course doesn't deserve the praise it is getting they are entitled to voice their opinion.;) There is no way Bundoran can be the best in Donegal, so of course it is going to be questioned.

• Advertisement

I thought you were joking have played 6 courses in Donegal and it is the worst of them. Sorry

Advertisement