Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that. Do they play off mats in the winter? Nothing worse I'd rather pay a bit more and play off the turf.

From what i know from phoning about a couple of years ago, the only links up here not prone to handing out the mats is RCD. But it's prepping for the Open at the minute so most of it is fairways to the side. When the likes of Portstewart start the mats I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

CharlieIRL said Athlone for county Roscommon and I'm seconding that.

Roscommon golf club would be second in the county for me, lovely course with some really nice holes (9 & 12 my favourites) but its too wet for a lot of the year and doesnt have the difficulty or scenery of Athlone. A lot of very memorable holes in athlone with the lake bordering the course on 3 sides and visible from every hole at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Galway bay for me in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭h2005

thewobbler wrote: »
    1 Antrim: N/A
    2 Armagh: N/A
    3 Carlow: N/A
    4 Cavan : Slieve Russell (1/1)
    5 Clare: Lahinch (5/5)
    6 Cork: Fota Island (5/8)
    7 Derry: N/A
    8 Donegal: Murvagh (2/3)
    9 Down: RCD (1/1)
    10 Dublin: Portmarnock Old (4/6)
    11 Fermanagh: Loug Erne (1/1)
    12 Galway: Galway Bay & Portumna (2/5)
    13 Kerry: Tralee (3/7)
    14 Kildare: Carton Montgomerie (2/3)
    15 Kilkenny: Mount Juliet (2/3)
    16 Laois: Portarlington (2/3)
    17 Leitrim: Ballinamore (default)
    18 Limerick: Adare (2/2)
    19 Longford : N/A
    20 Louth: Baltray (2/3)
    21 Mayo: Carne (4/6)
    22 Meath: Headfort New (3/4)
    23 Monaghan: Concra Wood (1/1)
    24 Offaly: Tullamore & Esker Hills (1/2)
    25 Roscommon: N/A
    26 Sligo: Enniscrone & Rosses Point (1/1)
    27 Tipperary: Dundrum House (2/3)
    28 Tyrone: N/A
    29 Waterford: Waterford, New Ross & Waterford Castle (1/3)
    30 Westmeath: New Forest, Moate (1/1)
    31 Wexford: Rosslare (1/1)
    32 Wicklow: European Club (1/1)

---

I've had to curate these results a little.

Who am I to deny anyone who knows multiple counties the opportunity to vote on them all? Nope, these all counted.

But the ones that went links: choice, parkland: choice, those were abridged to their links choice (we all prefer links golf anyway, don't we).

Long meandering replies mostly got passed by, mainly because I'm a lazy editor.

---

Obviously, It's only a small sample. But the outright winner of the course most loved by it's locals is Lahinch with a unanimous decision over 5 votes.

Second place was Bundoran. No not really.

---

I don't think it'd take too much effort to award Portrush, Carlow and Portstewart gongs for their counties. The rest need locals to chip in.

There should be 2 in there for Galway Golf Club too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »
    ...A lot of very memorable holes in athlone with the lake bordering the course on 3 sides and visible from every hole at some stage.

15th? ;)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    15th? ;)

Good call. Arguable you could see lough ree from the green or ballybay from the tee :) I'll let you know when I'm out there next. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Kerry: Waterville

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kilkenny. Kilkenny Golf Club. have only played mount juliet once and got rained off after the 11th so cant give it the best course title just yet

I'd never put Kilkenny above Castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I'd never put Kilkenny above Castlecomer.

And Gowran is way better than Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

cairny wrote: »
    Nah....More spectacular surroundings, with some wow holes but there's something not quite right about it, not quite a proper links, feels a bit forced to me. Mind you I've only played it once so maybe it's a grower.

Not being able to play it regularly adds to the hype / mystique I suppose.

I'm a little biased and I love Fota but the more you play Old Head, the better it gets. IMO some of the
    holes don't get the credit they deserve because of the surroundings. As in the hole itself would be great on any course. But both are great courses.

Old Head for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

thewobbler wrote: »
    19 Longford : N/A

29 Waterford: Waterford, New Ross & Waterford Castle (1/3)

AFAIK Co Longford Golf Club is the only course in Co Longford, so it should take the title by default!

With regard to Waterford - Waterford Castle is the only one of those listed that's actually in Waterford.

Waterford GC is in Kilkenny (just about - https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2699645,-7.1191613,16z)
    New Ross GC is also in Kilkenny - it's approx. 20km from the Waterford border, but very close to the Wexford border. https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.4010887,-6.9712414,15z

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Kerry : Ballybunion. Need to play Waterville again,could take top spot, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This thread has been funny - the number of courses that are not even in the county in question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

love the o meara in carton, so thats number 1 for me for kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kerry - Tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Offaly - Esker Hills

I was a member of Tullamore as a juvenille, pre-changes so maybe I played it too often.
    Birr was always too long to be fun, too many long par 4's back into the prevailing wind.

I love Birr, for some reason none of my friends like it though. They reckon it's too tough.

I love Birr, for some reason none of my friends like it though. They reckon it's too tough.

Old birr was a great course. Im not a fan of it since the change. While its safer, I think the new holes take from the charm a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

blackwhite wrote: »
    AFAIK Co Longford Golf Club is the only course in Co Longford, so it should take the title by default!

With regard to Waterford - Waterford Castle is the only one of those listed that's actually in Waterford.

Waterford GC is in Kilkenny (just about - https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2699645,-7.1191613,16z)
    New Ross GC is also in Kilkenny - it's approx. 20km from the Waterford border, but very close to the Wexford border. https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.4010887,-6.9712414,15z

And while of course it's a matter if personal opinion Tramore not even in the top 3?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Slieve

Laois: Heritage by a distance.

Portarlington, 2nd, a lovely course but flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Rikand wrote: »
    Old birr was a great course. Im not a fan of it since the change. While its safer, I think the new holes take from the charm a bit.

Agree 100%. I don't think the new hole do anything for the place. Wet and bland while the old holes are really good and make you think about where to miss and what clubs to hit. Great people there too really friendly and welcoming. Great pint of Guinness in the clubhouse too if that counts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

In County Tyrone Killymoon is not bad. In County Armagh Portadown is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Home county Offaly but to my shame I've only ever played 2 courses in the county :o

So it has to be Esker Hills.

BTW Astounded that the club's official cheer leader, CharlieIRL, didn't give them a vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

There's no way Carne is a better course than Ballinrobe.. :-)
    I understand it's the only 18 hole links in Mayo, but it's a short and easy links course in comparison to Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Lahinch etc... Great views no doubt, but the course itself is nowhere near as tough as Ballinrobe.. My best round in Carne is -1, best in Enniscrone is +5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Home county Offaly but to my shame I've only ever played 2 courses in the county :o

So it has to be Esker Hills.

BTW Astounded that the club's official cheer leader, CharlieIRL, didn't give them a vote!!!

As much as I like Esker and playing there......I love playing tullamore!! Probably cause its only 5 mins from me and I only play it twice a year!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Kerry - Tralee
    We will have to play there before we take on Ballyb again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've played 3 course in Offaly myself.

Was just thinking there - forget what Kevin did - it would be a decent test to play golf in every county.

I'd say I'm well over 1/2 way.

Off the top of my head 21/32 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

We will have to play there before we take on Ballyb again next year!

Yeah definitely man, I plan on playing all the Kerry Scratch cups next year :).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

Clonmel or Thurles, although I haven't played Thurles since the storm damage so not sure how it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    There's no way Carne is a better course than Ballinrobe.. :-)
    I understand it's the only 18 hole links in Mayo, but it's a short and easy links course in comparison to Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Lahinch etc... Great views no doubt, but the course itself is nowhere near as tough as Ballinrobe.. My best round in Carne is -1, best in Enniscrone is +5.
    Would agree it is easier but but does that make it better or worse. I love Ballinrobe it is a super course the Druids Gleen of the west but if i had a choice i would play Carne think it is around 6700 off the back tees so not short but the biggest difference it that you can find your ball in the rough compared to Enniscrone. We are spoilt for choice really in Mayo haven't played Westport or Castlebar but Ballinrobe and Claremorris are great corses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

mike12 wrote: »
    Would agree it is easier but but does that make it better or worse. I love Ballinrobe it is a super course the Druids Gleen of the west but if i had a choice i would play Carne think it is around 6700 off the back tees so not short but the biggest difference it that you can find your ball in the rough compared to Enniscrone. We are spoilt for choice really in Mayo haven't played Westport or Castlebar but Ballinrobe and Claremorris are great corses.

I guess it is what we define as "best course" ?
    Is it on how difficult a course is, or is it scenery etc?
    My favourite course in Mayo is Westport, because I always play well there. Doesn't mean it is the best though.

Advertisement