Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    There's no way Carne is a better course than Ballinrobe.. :-)
    I understand it's the only 18 hole links in Mayo, but it's a short and easy links course in comparison to Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Lahinch etc... Great views no doubt, but the course itself is nowhere near as tough as Ballinrobe.. My best round in Carne is -1, best in Enniscrone is +5.

Imo claremorris is right up there with Ballanrobe at the moment. It was in fantastic condition All summer. I haven't played Ballanrobe in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

etxp wrote: »
    Imo claremorris is right up there with Ballanrobe at the moment. It was in fantastic condition All summer. I haven't played Ballanrobe in a while though.

The problem with Claremorris is drainage.. It's like a swamp after a small amount of rain.. Have also heard rumours that Claremorris could be going back to a 9 hole course, they are in financial bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    The problem with Claremorris is drainage.. It's like a swamp after a small amount of rain.. Have also heard rumours that Claremorris could be going back to a 9 hole course, they are in financial bother.

They have improved it but it can get quite wet! I hear they are struggling alright! Hagent heard the 9 hole rumour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure why , was thinking about this question today.

It is not always an easy question for some counties - as there are often 4/5 in the mix.

I've played a few more now and still

Links - The Island
    Parkland - Luttrellstown

There must be a better Parkland than that ? I've a good few to still play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Links - The Island
    Parkland - Luttrellstown

There must be a better Parkland than that ? I've a good few to still play.

Agreed! I think Luttrellstown has lost it a bit, played it during the summer and thought the course condition was not great. Best parkland course in Dublin, in my opinion is Grange Golf Club.

In my now home county of Offaly, I think Tullamore just edges Esker Hills. I think it's prettier and don't come in feeling you have just climbed Everest!

• Advertisement

Yes Barna - we went to Tullamore with Boards for an outing and a Jug - it is just a brilliant Irish Parkland Course , terrific variety and surprising change in elevation - but far more subtle than Esker.

Love Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Barnaboy wrote:
    In my now home county of Offaly, I think Tullamore just edges Esker Hills. I think it's prettier and don't come in feeling you have just climbed Everest!

Barnaboy wrote:
    Agreed! I think Luttrellstown has lost it a bit, played it during the summer and thought the course condition was not great. Best parkland course in Dublin, in my opinion is Grange Golf Club.

Barnaboy wrote:

Castle is way better than Grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Carlow- Mount Wolseley (a bit biased)

I just don't like the rough in Carlow GC, other than that's it's an excellent course

I just don't like the rough in Carlow GC, other than that's it's an excellent course

There is a good example - and proves a great country we have (as we know here) for golf. So many counties it is a very hard call.

Wicklow another example.

Said to the lads other day - to get to a bad course in Ireland , you have to drive past a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First Up wrote: »
    Castle is way better than Grange.

Played Grange a month ago and still yet to play Castle but I wouldn't have Grange up there in a "best off" shortlist. Lovely clubhouse and the place is well looked after. Some really good holes but too many average ones and a couple of poor ones. Lacking in par 5's would make it a lesser course when compared against others.

• Advertisement

By the way I think Carlow is better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've moved to Dublin since I last answered this question and agree that luttrellstown is the best I've played closely followed by newlands.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

PARlance wrote: »
    Played Grange a month ago and still yet to play Castle but I wouldn't have Grange up there in a "best off" shortlist. Lovely clubhouse and the place is well looked after. Some really good holes but too many average ones and a couple of poor ones. Lacking in par 5's would make it a lesser course when compared against others.

Always puzzles me that they persist with the current layout when they have the extra holes available to make it a proper, fully grown 18. I assume the older establishment members like it that way but it could be a lot better with a few less par 3's (especially at the start).

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I've moved to Dublin since I last answered this question and agree that luttrellstown is the best I've played closely followed by newlands.

Gosh, I don't think I would have Newlands in my top 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gosh, I don't think I would have Newlands in my top 20.

Newlands was in great nic when I played it, was very impressed. That said I've only played around 8 courses in the county. Luttrellstown though is in a different league.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Offaly: I do love Birr (biased) but would have to say tullamore is a better course overall.

Cork: played very few but castlemartyr is my favourite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Offaly: I do love Birr (biased) but would have to say tullamore is a better course overall.

Cork: played very few but castlemartyr is my favourite so far.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Newlands was in great nic when I played it, was very impressed. That said I've only played around 8 courses in the county. Luttrellstown though is in a different league.

I think Dun Laoghaire gives Lutllerstown a run for its money as best parkland (and I think it is just about in Dublin.) Malahide is excellent and gets little attention. There's a few courses out that way - e.g. Skerries, Corrstown, Forrest Little - well worthy of consideration, especially if you think Newlands is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Very hard for me to comment as I haven't played nearly enough of them and no links so i'll just give my top 3

Meath
    Headfort New
    Rathcore
    Knightsbrook

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Tipp: I think Dundrum would be the pick of the bunch but can get very soft in Winter. So Dundrum for the Summer and Nenagh for the other months (always in good nick).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Very hard for me to comment as I haven't played nearly enough of them and no links so i'll just give my top 3

Meath
    Headfort New
    Rathcore
    Knightsbrook

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer.
    Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer. Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

Knightsbrook can be very soft in the winter. Grand in summer. Never player Rathcor but must do so now as its been mentioned a few times.

Rathcore at least as soggy as Knightsbrook in winter. Possibly worse. Nice in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Rathcore at least as soggy as Knightsbrook in winter. Possibly worse. Nice in summer.

Worse in places I'd imagine and can be affected by frost quite a bit due to where it is. Still a great course

dan_ep82 wrote:
    Worse in places I'd imagine and can be affected by frost quite a bit due to where it is. Still a great course

Fine course. Shame about the poor drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk is a brilliant course in the summer, pure bog now just off the fairways.
    I suppose you shouldn't be off the fairways anyway :pac:

I think Dun Laoghaire gives Lutllerstown a run for its money as best parkland (and I think it is just about in Dublin.) Malahide is excellent and gets little attention. There's a few courses out that way - e.g. Skerries, Corrstown, Forrest Little - well worthy of consideration, especially if you think Newlands is good!

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two.
    Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example :eek:
    But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.

Maybe Margaret's also worth a call ?

Haven't played Hermitage - is that up there ?

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two. Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.

Yes good call on Dun Laoghaire - close between them two. Must go over and play Castle and Grange

I think that is my slight frustration with Parklands in Dublin - all the ones mentioned above , considered "good" - wouldn't get a look in, in any county mentioned so far. I've played most of them - and would rather drive past them out of Dublin to the other courses mentioned to be honest. Look at Kildare for example But - you are in a city - a different thing , land, course wise etc.
    The Dublin "borders" are a bit meaningless with so many good courses just over the line in Wicklow, Kildare, Meath etc.
    Maybe Margaret's also worth a call ?

It used to be quite good. I think it fell into decline with ownership issues but I think I saw some positive reports. Haven't played it in a long while.
    Haven't played Hermitage - is that up there ?

Nice traditional club but tight and some blind holes bordering on dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Meath. Headford New.
    However member in Knightsbrook and very proud of it they've done a lot of work on drainage in trouble spots last couple of years.

sofireland wrote:
    Meath. Headford New. However member in Knightsbrook and very proud of it they've done a lot of work on drainage in trouble spots last couple of years.

Good to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was very playable during last winter. So will see how she's fairing next week.

Advertisement