Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Great course yes, but would have to go with Cork Golf Club, natural terrain, cracking test of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Im in Wicklow, personally id prefer Druids Glen over the european, but im sure most would have it the other way around.

Reading through the comments, a lot of people saying Rathcore or Headfort new in Meath, but surely Killeen castle has to be the pick of the bunch in Meath?

Again, also seen people saying Gowran in Kilkenny, but for me Mount Juliet hands down. For Cork there has been a good few shouts for Fota, but i dont think anything comes close to Old Head, truly unique experience and one of the best golfing days in the country, if not europe.

Personally for me in Kerry Ballybunion probably just edges it, although there is not much between BB Tralee and Waterville, all 3 are exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I didn’t think I’d ever see this thread resurface!

While I’ve grown to sort of dislike RCD (it’s just too bloody tough), it would be folly to suggest there’s anything near its level in County Down.

I’d probably edge Lisburn over Clandeboye, Kilkeel and Royal Belfast for the best parkland. Ardglass would have a shout there too, depending on whether it’s wearing its “yes I am a links” hat, or not.

Neighbouring county Armagh doesn’t quite have the same rung of excellent courses. There is a common thread of uneven routing and the occasional strange hole, across long established courses Co Armagh, Tandragee and Lurgan, while the rest are a cut below. Would probably side with Co Armagh at a push; it’s a nicer walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks lads. Anyone from co louth out there

Links

And

Parkland

And to totally mess up thread - I don't mind (would prefer if people say 1st / 2nd )

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Cork is a good course but a lot of hype around it for me. Fota more of a challenge IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think Seapoint is a better test of golf than Baltray, but Baltray a better conditioned course.

Parkland I'd have to go with Dundalk GC in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Dungarvan is a fabulous course in my opinion. Not only is it a great course, I’ve never played a course where people are so friendly. Depending on the time of day, you can play it for under €20 as well which is brilliant.

Tramore is the best course in Waterford without a doubt. The Castle is a lovely course but it has always lacked something for me. Faithlegg shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Tramore. The only thing I don’t like about Tramore are the members but that’s not what we’re here to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Having been a member there for many years I feel I have to defend them! I'd say the members are very nice. It's an old membership and that brings a couple of problems. Like not wanting to play from the blue tees. Or not embracing the new 9 they built, that's such a shame.

But I wouldn't knock them for having different outlooks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Just reading thread for 1st time, I am from Rathfarnham and agree Castle is bloody hard to find, it is in the middle of an old housing estate.

Re castle/Grange debate, if you ever get a chance to play Sheehan course in Grange par 71 it is a much better course than the love course. Since they had to shorten the 1st Par 3 which used to be over 200yds it is no where near the same course. Sheehan course much tougher as well. 18th is great finishing hole.

Re them being pretentious that is bullsh*t as well, they are family clubs where everyone is welcome. Milltown would be the most pretentious in South Dublin even though the course is very average bar last 2 holes.

I see Fota got lots of votes, I played it and Druids glen in the last month, there was Eons between them. Played Fota with a friend who would have played lots of courses as well, it is in great condition etc but at the end of it I asked him what was the most memorable hole, what was the hole you couldn't wait to play again. Neither of us could come up with one.

Best Parklands I have played not really well so excluding your mount juliets/Druids glen etc would be Concra wood, Headfort new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Strong personal opinion there putting Seapoint (with just average holes early mid round) ahead of Baltray, put your ball in the long stuff in Baltray and you'll know all about a challenge

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Interesting call - I guess you could say Baltray is more open - but the distance alone in Baltray a big test.

But you have probably played them more then me - I did play Seapoint in the last 2 years or so , and I have to say I found the place very very underrated.

But look - is subjective - played Enniscrone at the weekend , and some did not like it - so that is far more perplexing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

On the border of Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare so I'm going to take My choice from Wicklow and it will be the Aul debate or putdown "It's only a 9 hole course but Blessington Lakes is Superb, Course layout, Condition and friendliness. If it was an 18 hole course I'd say Tulfarris would struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Interesting take on the members of Tramore. Did you have a bad experience?

Surprised West Waterford and the gold Coast were not mentioned as decent courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’ve had a few experiences with members out there and I wouldn’t be the only one but look that can happen in courses anywhere. Finished a round with 3 members one day and I was invited in for a drink. I went in and got a table and when the 3 guys walked in they sat at a table with 2 buddies of theirs and left me on my own. After they invited me in, they did their own thing and left me sitting there. I got my own back a few months after when one of them ran a tab in Waterford Castle and I put my dinner and two pints on it and walked out.

The Gold Coast is a beautiful setting but lacks the quality of a really top course. I think a lot of money would need to be pumped in to make it top class, but it has the potential to be a really top class course. On a summer’s day there’s not a better place to be but it’s lacking a little bit.

Dunmore East had the potential to be a great little course but never really got any money pumped in. It would be 15 years ago since I last played it and I never went back. Again, a beautiful setting but a poorly maintained course. Not sure if it’s even open for play anymore actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

For me Woodbrook is best in South Dub by a country mile...

Wicklow and my fav golf course is European club....

Was lucky enough to get a freebie to Adare Manor about a month ago and all I can say is WOW... everything about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played both a few times a piece, played well on both courses aswell. I couldnt say the same, Seapoint has some holes that are a level with Baltray but overall Baltray is the stronger harder course IMO

Obviously for me it's Baltray for links

I've never played Dundalk so I'd have to go with Ardee. Carr took over the maintainence and the condition is superb, probably the best greens I've played this year.

2015 |Very hard for me to comment as I haven't played nearly enough of them and no links so i'll just give my top 3

Meath

Headfort New

Rathcore

Knightsbrook

This has changed a bit since the last time I posted here.

I've played Laytown, good course but I've played better.

Its been a while since I played Kileen Castle but I never warmed to it, I must go back as it may have been my ability that took the fun out of it.

Headfort New

County Meath

Knightsbrook

Rathcore

Headfort Old

The condition of the Old has been an issue all year but it's on its way back, still no where near where it was 7 years ago though. Same with Rathcore the last time I played it over a year ago, but still the better course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think Baltray is a nicer course but for the many members that are or have been members of both courses it is widely considered the easier of the the two courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So they ignored you in the clubhouse and you got your own back by getting free food and pints for yourself underhandedly. i think that says a lot more about you than it does about them

It does seem like an episode in which context is everything.

• Advertisement

In terms of parklands, is there only 4?…. Greenore, Dundalk, Ardee, Ballymascanlon?

Greenore and me don’t get on well. Can’t explain why, but I think it’s something to with the turf being somehow nippy to play off but not particularly rewarding in terms of roll. It’s a good course with some average holes , and probably the worst opening hole in Ireland.

so I’d have to side with Dundalk. Though the other pair are far from without their charms.

As for the links. I don’t think I could agree that Baltray is more playable than Seapoint. The latter eases you into the round, and only really starts stinging in the last quarter. Of course Baltray being flatter means that it’s less daunting in places: short game is key around there. The reality for a man of my income though is that Seapoint’s Tuesday opens are among the genuinely most value golf known to man, so it marginally gets my vote above its more famous neighbour.

L&B is a strange course. It’s enjoyable but never quite satisfying, and by God do you need to get that driver working on the inward 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm in Cork, for me it's Fota.

Not much in it between Fota and Cork GC. Not even sure who else would even be in the conversation, maybe Castlemartyr next?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Don’t think I would have Co. Meath as one of the best courses in the county, thought it was a very average course when I played it. Royal Tara would be better imo. Headfort New would be my favourite, Killeen Castle 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Dublin

Portmarnock GC

The End.

Advertisement