Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamp removed

• 17-11-2014 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever removed an NCPS clamp and ended up in court. I got clamped in a private carpark (train station). I paid my parking ticket, came back that evening and had a massive clamp on it.

I rang my brother in an absolute state, as I had paid it. Ncps weren't interested in this as they said I had to pay it then I could appeal it. My brother came over and took it off.

I am absolutely sick with worry that he's going to be arrested. Has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever removed an NCPS clamp and ended up in court. I got clamped in a private carpark (train station). I paid my parking ticket, came back that evening and had a massive clamp on it.

I rang my brother in an absolute state, as I had paid it. Ncps weren't interested in this as they said I had to pay it then I could appeal it. My brother came over and took it off.

I am absolutely sick with worry that he's going to be arrested. Has anyone any experience with this?

Relax you be fine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/limerick-man-fined-for-removing-clamp-from-his-car-1-5183282

Guy in Limerick got fined €150 in court for removing a clamp

Not sure if NCPS have ever taken anyone to court for this though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Tricky, calling the clampers was probably your biggest mistake. You could have claimed that clamp was never there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tricky, calling the clampers was probably your biggest mistake. You could have claimed that clamp was never there.

I called them, told them I'd paid my ticket. She told me that I still had to pay 120 and it would only be removed then, and that I could appeal it if I wanted.
    I was so angry I told her I was going to cut it off, where she told me that the call was being recorded. I told her that I didn't care and hung up on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

How did he take it off exactly? While it's not impossible, those clamps aren't *that* easy to take off, either requires a couple of hours work stripping the wheel and associated components, or cutting the clamp/lock.

• Advertisement

A hacksaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I called them, told them I'd paid my ticket. She told me that I still had to pay 120 and it would only be removed then, and that I could appeal it if I wanted.
    I was so angry I told her I was going to cut it off, where she told me that the call was being recorded. I told her that I didn't care and hung up on her

I had the same situation but my Missus had to get to work so I had to pay it. Telling them that you were going to cut it off was not clever. However, it does not prove that you or somebody close to you did do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I got clamped in a private carpark (train station).
    Is the train station a private car park or are NCPS operating on behalf of the council?

If it's on behalf of the council you may have an issue.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

A hacksaw

high five!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ah here the call was recorded, they have everything they need. you'll get fined fairly heavily I'd imagine, if they follow up that is.

• Advertisement

It's private carpark! If it comes down to it I'll say I did it but I'm so worried he'll get into trouble. What's the point in paying tickets when they fine you anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

mike_ie wrote: »
    How did he take it off exactly? While it's not impossible, those clamps aren't *that* easy to take off, either requires a couple of hours work stripping the wheel and associated components, or cutting the clamp/lock.

Amateur :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hard to say, it will cost them a lot to pursue and if all they think they will get is a 150 fine from you well they probably wont bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

A hacksaw

Ooh, I need to add one to my driving tool kit so :)

Do I send the clamp back to them anonymously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

A mate at work got clamped recently, rang and paid for the removal of the clamp. Appealed the decision to clamp him, that was turned down and was then offered the appeal process, this will cost him €20. He had a valid ticket on display but it couldn't be read from outside the car.

It looks like a money racket to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

What clamp?...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

Add theft alongside that criminal damage lol!
    They're cowboys alright but you may have just dug the hole a *teenie* bit deeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

phog wrote: »
    He had a valid ticket on display but it couldn't be read from outside the car.

How are they to know it's valid then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    What clamp?...

Souvenir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

she already rang and admitted she was cutting it off. the " what clamp" ship has long sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Afaik, you have to be informed in advance of the call commencing that it's being recorded. Nothing up to that point is admissible in court evidence.

When it happened my brother told me to call the guards as they had immobilised my car for no reason. The guard was lovely, said nothing he could do but he was disgusted he told me to go into the train station and argue with them as they were working for them. He said it was criminal damage only if the clamp was damaged, and what they did wasn't illegal as it was a private carpark but said it was really wrong and basically said (but not in so many words) that you gotta do what you gotta do. They couldn't help so
    My brother came over and sorted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

RossieMan wrote: »
    she already rang and admitted she was cutting it off. the " what clamp" ship has long sailed.

Good point.

she didn't cut anything off

Oh lord my head is wrecked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When it happened u brother tolde to call the guards as they had immobilised my car for no reason. The guard was lovely, said nothing he could do but he was disgusted he told me to go into the train station and argue with them as they were working for them. He said it was criminal damage only if the clamp was damaged, and what they did wasn't illegal as it was a private carpark but said it was really wrong and basically said (but not in so many words) that you gotta do what you gotta do. They couldn't help so
    My brother came over and sorted it
    Is the clamp not damaged after taking a hacksaw to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Stheno wrote: »
    Is the clamp not damaged after taking a hacksaw to it?

Someone must have stolen the clamp, before attempting to steal the ops car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Spoils of war just like my necklace of ears* from 'Nam.*

*'Nam may have been Bundoran and *ears may have been sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mickmurphy18

superglue in the lock works a treat . if you are willing to pay to have it removed and they are unable to do so they'll have to cut it off themselves or get a lock smith to open it. either way you get one back on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Two things.

1. They are obligated to inform you the call is being recorded at the start of the phone call. You can report that to data protection commission.

2. Do they know your brothers name, address, etc.? Can't do anything if they don't can they?

How did your bro remove the clamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

It's really best not to ask advice on the internet OP. You'll get so many different opinions and most don't actually know what they're talking about or are going on hearsay.

Clamps are cut off all the time.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by sending them back the clamp anonymously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

OP your brother is a champ.

Don't worry in the slightest. Don't give it back, especially damaged. Don't be guilt tripped. They attached a piece of metal to your car as an extortion technique.

Dump it and never communicate with the clamping company again.

By giving back the clamp even anonymously you are inviting trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

they'd be mad to pursue it (I hope you kept your ticket showing you paid for parking?!). Imagine them in front of a judge "Yes your honour, she had paid for parking but we clamped her anyway and told her she had to pay a €120 release fee to gain access to her perfectly legitimately parked car, after which she may then enter an appeals process to get the €120 back if we ourselves deem her to have a case to get the release fee back... And now we would like to sue her for €150 because she removed the clamp".

relax the cacks, it's not your fault that an unknown person or persons kindly removed that unwanted clamp from your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

They can only use the recording for the purpose stated when they told you the call was being recorded.

If the recorded the call, and did not tell you in advance they were and the purpose of recording the call, then they are in bother if they use the recording.

Contact them and look for a copy of any information / recording that they have on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

BMJD wrote: »
    relax the cacks, it's not your fault that an unknown person or persons kindly removed that unwanted clamp from your car

Precisely. Avoiding communication with NCPS will be the only thing you need to worry about.

dingding wrote: »
    They can only use the recording for the purpose stated when they told you the call was being recorded.

If the recorded the call, and did not tell you in advance they were and the purpose of recording the call, then they are in bother if they use the recording.

Contact them and look for a copy of any information / recording that they have on you.

As far as I am aware, any recorded call can be used as evidence in a court case so long as one of the parties involved in the call is aware that the call is being recorded.

Both people are not required to be informed of it being recorded.

As an aside, I've never rang NCPS but I'd imagine they have an automated "all of our calls are recorded" message at the start of every phone call to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lol. Court case me hole. Forget about it Lexie. Someone robbed their clamp, shocking how unsecure these car parks are. You were lucky they didn't rob your car as well....ahem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Somebody' rang. Can they prove it's her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Deenie123 wrote: »
    ... Imagine them in front of a judge "Yes your honour, she had paid for parking but we clamped her anyway ...

Maybe another motorist gave her the ticket off his car just to pretend she had paid...

Don't go with that argument, just do nothing and see what their next move is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Let us know what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Maybe another motorist gave her the ticket off his car just to pretend she had paid...

Don't go with that argument, just do nothing and see what their next move is.

All I'm saying is that they'd be mad to pursue it if she has proof that she paid and it was their error (plus, she has reported it to the gardai as well so while not proof of her having been in the right, it adds weight to her story).

They would be mad to chase someone down for their mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When my car was robbed the garda couldn't care less. I can't imagine they'll give a shít over a cut clamp. Forget about it, nothing will happen. It's not worth pursuing for the gardai or the clamping company

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Seriously doubt it. Only the council ones would be trouble. My brother has a stellar collection of their clamps that fell off and never heard anything off them ever.
    My ex went ballistic with, not NCPS but the other private clamping crowd who's name escapes me, before and told them he was going to cut a clamp off. They told him he could "go ahead and cut it off and stick it up his arse". My thinking is they're not that bothered? would only say otherwise for scare tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No body clamp = no crime

So nervous guys! I'll let you know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

dingding wrote: »

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Is that correct dingding? The only notification of recording calls that I ever get is for "training purposes". Does that mean that those calls can't be used for anything else? And can I record calls also as long as I tell the other party or do I have to tell them at all since only one person/side has to consent to the recording, AFAIK?

To bring it on topic, Lexi, did they say that they were recording the call for "training purposes"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Car was also clamped at the train station on Friday, having paid using the 'paybytext' service. They claim to have no record of it despite me receiving a confirmation text.

I should have cut it off but my wife paid the fine thinking she could appeal and get the money back (she got the train home to pick up the car before me). I know that nothing will ever come of the appeal.

So it's obviously common enough clamping legit parked cars? I'm so nervous parking there now, had the oh get up at crazy o clock to drop me at the station because I won't park there anymore, what's the point? When they'll clamp you anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement