Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamp removed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So it's obviously common enough clamping legit parked cars? I'm so nervous parking there now, had the oh get up at crazy o clock to drop me at the station because I won't park there anymore, what's the point? When they'll clamp you anyway

I jogged up to the station this morning instead, same situation as you. Out of interest.. what station were you in? PM me if you want to avoid posting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

mloc123 wrote: »
    I jogged up to the station this morning instead, same situation as you. Out of interest.. what station were you in? PM me if you want to avoid posting.

Jesus don't answer that In public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Back in college my friend was clamped. He called the company to remove it , they wouldn't unless he paid the fine so he took out his consaw and cut it off in front of yer man and nothing ever happened.

They won't bother their hole pursuing you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Guys,

I have removed several clamps (at least 6) and nothing ever comes of it. Its all scare tactics. Don't admit you removed it. I always brought back the clamp as not going to steal saying i found it beside car. Its a costly civil case over a 200 euro clamp, its not worth their while. Also once you can remove the clamp without damaging it, its complete fair game.....no legislation on clamping exists on this.

Removing them without damaging the clamp or car is a time consuming matter, so i plan to just invest in a battery powered angle grinder as much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

mloc123 wrote: »

RIP LexieOnRale.
    Hi Larry Murphy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Just wondering lex, did you identify yourself in any way on the phone to them, ie give your name or car reg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Is that correct dingding? The only notification of recording calls that I ever get is for "training purposes". Does that mean that those calls can't be used for anything else? And can I record calls also as long as I tell the other party or do I have to tell them at all since only one person/side has to consent to the recording, AFAIK?

To bring it on topic, Lexi, did they say that they were recording the call for "training purposes"?

The pre-recorded message is there so that the company doesn't have to get consent from the agent everytime they want to use the phone conversation for anything. What happens if the agent says no?

You can record calls as you are giving your consent for it to be recorded but you couldn't record someone and use it for anything without their consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah I rang up and told them my car red and told them to get their clamp off my car as I had a ticket and would present ticket instead of the money when the clamper removed the clamp. She was having none of it. Said it wouldn't be removed until I paid 120 euro. I said I had a ticket she said it wasn't "clearly displayed" I said it's not my fault if they hire visually impaired people, and that if they didn't remove it, I'd remove it at which point she told me that the call was recorded. I told her I didn't even care and cut her off.

That was the entire conversation.

I'm so mad about it. The train station is a 30 min drive from my house. They left me stranded half an hours drive from home at 8:30 at night, and I had legally parked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

So they know you have a red car, i wouldn't worry about it, I cut one off with a conpsaw about 8 years ago and thrown it in the sea off the docks in Galway, I never heard a bit about it

• Advertisement

Sorry i need to jump in here.
    They cannot enforce a penalty or a fine, they are not a licensed Local Authority , they cannot implement this. Their is no legislation for or against clampers or clampees.
    If its a private matter, their only chance is a civil case costing them a fortune..that they will have to try and claim back the fees.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Sorry i need to jump in here.
    They cannot enforce a penalty or a fine, they are not a licensed Local Authority , they cannot implement this. Their is no legislation for or against clampers or clampees.
    If its a private matter, their only chance is a civil case costing them a fortune..that they will have to try and claim back the fees.

Personally, I'd go a little further and say that what they're doing is illegal or at least unlawful. There is provision in the Road Traffic Acts prohibiting the interference with the mechanism of a vehicle and subject to interpretation, that could cover immobilisation with a clamp.

I won't go into the other aspects of the law because if I ever get a case against these guys, I don't want to show my hand before I have to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is there any chance that judge in Limerick interpreted the law wrongly? I always heard before that clampers had no leg to stand on if a case was brought to court. That court case is disheartening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am right in thinking that a small claims court case might be the best option to appeal the 120e charge? Giving I have proof of text send, confirmation received and the follow up call to confirm the reg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Once in college my car was (wrongfully) clamped by a private company. Fearing I'd be caught doing something with the clamp (I wasn't going to pay, I couldn't even afford to if I wanted to) I paid a guy in my class to take it off. We agreed on 30 quid and he took it off that evening for me.

You'l be grand op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Question:-

How would NCPS know who you are/where you live OP ?

They have the reg of the car , but as far as I know they have no access to the reg database ( data-protection and all that ).

It's a different story if this was the council afak

I would not worry too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I always wanted to hone my lock picking skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Slightly off topic, sorry...

Is that correct dingding? The only notification of recording calls that I ever get is for "training purposes". Does that mean that those calls can't be used for anything else? And can I record calls also as long as I tell the other party or do I have to tell them at all since only one person/side has to consent to the recording, AFAIK?

To bring it on topic, Lexi, did they say that they were recording the call for "training purposes"?

A lot of companies also say they are for verification purposes. I don't think contracts are enforceable if the calls are for training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I doubt that they'll chase up the clamp but since the car park is private property they can ban the OP from parking there. Not much use getting one over if you are barred from your local station.

I would never leave my car parked there again, my car clearly isn't safe there. what's the point in parking properly, paying your ticket and then coming home at night, being clamped anyway and them demanding 120 euro before I can go home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Del2005 wrote: »
    but since the car park is private property they can ban the OP from parking there..

For what?
    Her car was illegally immobilised, and she did what was required to release her property as the company who immobilised the car refused to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I would never leave my car parked there again, my car clearly isn't safe there. what's the point in parking properly, paying your ticket and then coming home at night, being clamped anyway and them demanding 120 euro before I can go home

Spend €120 and get a battery grinder or good set of bolt cutters, keep these in your car.
    As long as you have paid for your parking and you're within the time limit you've nothing to worry about.
    If you're clamped again remove it.
    They'll soon get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Was there CCTV in the carpark?

I think so. I asked them to check it as they'll see me get a ticket that morning, they weren't interested in checking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celica3SGE

They cant do you on it unless they have a video recording of you or if they find the damaged clap, if your brother got rid of it you'll be fine as they are a third party company. On the other hand if you were clamped by the County council its a bit of different story there they can bring you to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If you still have the clamp..

Take it to 6 Mount Street Crescent, Dublin 2, Ireland . Its the NCPS head office.

Wait outside till you see someone in a suit leave their car and go into the office.

Quickly nip out and clamp them with a new cheap pad lock.

Observe with a dash cam.

Post on youtube

Become a hero.

If you still have the clamp..

Take it to 6 Mount Street Crescent, Dublin 2, Ireland . Its the NCPS head office.

Wait outside till you see someone in a suit leave their car and go into the office.

Quickly nip out and clamp them with a new cheap pad lock.

Observe with a dash cam.

Post on youtube

Become a hero.

hmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The case in Limerick really has no relevance here.
    It was more the individual who was 'of interest' to the Gardai, rather than the act itself.
    He was convicted of criminal damage (to the clamp), and Theft (he took the clamp with him after removal). He wasn't charged with 'removal of a clamp' , as that is not an offence.

If it was practically anybody else the Gardai would not have shown the same amount of interest in a clamp removal..........;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

In before that crazy fella who will recon you can try the clampers under the nigerian klondike convention of 1927 in Irish Court for pain and suffering.

Guards were out at my home address this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Guards were out at my home address this afternoon

About the clamp? The interference with your car?

I don't know my brother wouldn't answer the door but must have been, no other reason.

Brother told him he had his face covered when he removed it.
    If it comes down to it I'll say I took it off myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

No, you say it was gone when you returned to your car. Like it was, wasn't it?

Told who?

Told me, sorry. He has a rake of his friends over they're all slagging me saying I'll be off to the dochas centre shortly, so im not sure if they're trying to wind me up.

• Advertisement

Told me, sorry. He has a rake of his friends over they're all slagging me saying I'll be off to the dochas centre shortly, so im not sure if they're trying to wind me up.

Sounds like he's taking the mick to me.

So, you rang the clampers to get them to remove the clamp they illegally put on your car. They refused to remove it without extorting €120 euro from you. You called for a lift home, meanwhile someone came along and offered to cut it off for you... You left the clamp where it was, right?

Deenie123 wrote: »
    So, you rang the clampers to get them to remove the clamp they illegally put on your car. They refused to remove it without extorting €120 euro from you. You called for a lift home, meanwhile someone came along and offered to cut it off for you... You left the clamp where it was, right?

No they took the clamp and one of his friends works in a metal recycling unit and they left it in there to be disposed of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Forget about it. Deny all and any knowledge and let them go and fcuk themselves.

Lexie - you HONESTLY didn't remove the clamp. They're looking for someone else ;) (and think about it, how can they find out who your brother is?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I rang my brother in an absolute state

Really? What age are you? 12?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Really? What age are you? 12?

Really? What would you suggest I do? I parked in the carpark, I paid for 24hr parking, returning just under 12hrs later to find my car immobilised. Thinking they made a mistake I called them up to ask them to remove it and they would only remove it if I paid 120 euro. This is at 8:30 at night, in bad weather, 30 mins drive from my house. After getting nowhere with the company, or the train station, the only person left to call was my brother, lest I sit in my immobilised car all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Really? What would you suggest I do? I parked in the carpark, I paid for 24hr parking, returning just under 12hrs later to find my car immobilised. Thinking they made a mistake I called them up to ask them to remove it and they would only remove it if I paid 120 euro. This is at 8:30 at night, in bad weather, 30 mins drive from my house. After getting nowhere with the company, or the train station, the only person left to call was my brother, lest I sit in my immobilised car all night.

Fair 'nuff :)

Anyway, always good to see someone come to 'boards' for sound legal advise ;)

There's no need to be so sarky, thanks anyway though. I'm not looking for legal advice. If I was I'd be going to my solicitor for advice on a private company interfering with my property, and causing damage to it. I'm looking for people's experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I think your slightly missing the point here lexi, try reading between the lines..

Your car was clamped.
    *Scene missing*
    The clamp is gone.
    You drive home happy that the clamp magically disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Lexi, I'll try and spell this out for you as clearly as I can without being sarcastic.

If anyone asks about the clamp, you didn't remove it. You got a lift home and when you came back to get your car, it was no longer clamped.

All very simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement